BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

How many times did you modify your order before it locked?

Hi folks - after much deliberation (seriously, so much deliberation, ask my wife), I submitted an order last week for an X3MC to replace my current M40. I'm so pumped.

However, I really find myself waffling back and forth on spec. My initial build, shared via email, was black sapphire over Tartufo. Having owned ONLY black cars my entire driving life, I figured it might be time for something different. So when I went in to take care of some prelim paperwork, I changed the build to Brooklyn gray over Tartufo.

Well, literally the next day, I got concerned that the Tartufo was too brown. My wife agreed. While she was championing solid black leather and I was leaning toward Sakhir, I thought black/Midrand might be a nice compromise. Emailed my CA and he took care of it.

Fast forward 72 hours to this morning, and I can't get the thought of Sakhir out of my head. Just couldn't get as excited about the black/Midrand. Fine. Email my CA again to switch to Sakhir orange leather. That email has gone unanswered, but he let me know he's in training today.

As fate would have it, I'm now second-guessing my Brooklyn gray exterior choice and am considering just going back to my old reliable black sapphire, which I think looks particularly great on this LCI, especially with the Sakhir orange interior. I'm afraid BG might appear just too blue in some lights for my taste.

If I request this change, it would be the FOURTH change to the spec within a week. My CA will think I've lost my mind, and he damn well may be right.

10-05-2021, 04:17 AM   #2
wickeded
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp LCI 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Hi folks - after much deliberation (seriously, so much deliberation, ask my wife), I submitted an order last week for an X3MC to replace my current M40. I'm so pumped.

However, I really find myself waffling back and forth on spec. My initial build, shared via email, was black sapphire over Tartufo. Having owned ONLY black cars my entire driving life, I figured it might be time for something different. So when I went in to take care of some prelim paperwork, I changed the build to Brooklyn gray over Tartufo.

Well, literally the next day, I got concerned that the Tartufo was too brown. My wife agreed. While she was championing solid black leather and I was leaning toward Sakhir, I thought black/Midrand might be a nice compromise. Emailed my CA and he took care of it.

Fast forward 72 hours to this morning, and I can't get the thought of Sakhir out of my head. Just couldn't get as excited about the black/Midrand. Fine. Email my CA again to switch to Sakhir orange leather. That email has gone unanswered, but he let me know he's in training today.

As fate would have it, I'm now second-guessing my Brooklyn gray exterior choice and am considering just going back to my old reliable black sapphire, which I think looks particularly great on this LCI, especially with the Sakhir orange interior. I'm afraid BG might appear just too blue in some lights for my taste.

If I request this change, it would be the FOURTH change to the spec within a week. My CA will think I've lost my mind, and he damn well may be right.

Personally, didn't change a thing from initial order, I feel if you do it once then you'll carry on second guessing yourself. If you're that kind of person I think whatever you get you'll always have a "well what if..." but the end of the day you're going to have a beast of a machine so don't stress!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 05:47 AM   #3
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

I walked in and ordered knowing exactly what I wanted as I rarely if ever second guess myself. Took delivery last week and was exactly what I expected w zero disappointment or regrets.
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

I changed the order once. Added the 21 rims which I hadn't added. Did it one evening and the Next day it flipped to "in production."

Are you asking for opinions of combo or times switching? For the latter, who cares what the CA thinks. Get what you want, change as many times you want. If you want emotional support in that process talk to X3M ghost. He actually ordered two different cars, one X3M and one X4M and kept the X4M.

Regarding the colors: I had had black cars for many many years until I got Sahkir Orange on my 15 M4, paired with Alpine white exterior. From that they onwards I decided I would aim for not having a black interior ever again. With a luxury car like ours, it makes such a huge difference to have something like the red or brown, gives color to your life! That is the first thing I choose, then comes a good exterior color to pair it with.

Personally, I wouldn't go with black exterior. I got bored of it and don't like the lack of contrast with grill/other parts. But I must admit it does look great from seeing other's pictures.

For reference, my car is an MBB with Tartufo. Easily the best color combo in my opinion, nothing close for me in terms of preference. I liked the Toronto Red exterior a lot as well, it was a close second as an exterior color, but was worried that I would get bored. And thought that it paired better with black than with Tartufo.

In short: make all those changes you want and don't be afraid to try a different color set. However, beware the configuration lock! Try to pin it down and stop second-guessing yourself because you might end up switching for something you don't want that you can't change once the car locks!
Appreciate 1
jzmundy991.00
      10-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post

Are you asking for opinions of combo or times switching? For the latter, who cares what the CA thinks. Get what you want, change as many times you want. If you want emotional support in that process talk to X3M ghost. He actually ordered two different cars, one X3M and one X4M and kept the X4M.
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 1
jzmundy991.00
      10-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Appreciate the feedback!

Luckily (or unluckily?), I don't have an allocation yet but expect to be assigned one this week - I'm the first and only one in my dealer's order bank for an X3M. This gives me at least a few more weeks of agonizing over color.

At least I haven't ordered a second car entirely….yet
      10-05-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
I was on the cusp of changing the order on mine back in July, since when I initially placed my order, I had chosen ash trunkwood open-pored trim instead of the carbon fibre which when I had pondered, was thinking at the time why would I choose wood in an M car...

However, I decided to just keep it after thinking it over given I had chosen Tartufo leather and luckily when it arrived, I felt I made the right choice!

If you do feel your inner heart wants to change it, just make sure you get it in before they move your car to Production Scheduled, else by then they should have assigned a VIN and it'd be too late!

Regardless, you've (hopefully) chosen what your heart contents on your incoming X3M!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 06:55 AM   #8
DFTBA
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: BMW F83

Garage List
This thread should have much more traffic! Even more so, as it is the perfect place to diminish buyer's remorse

I've changed mine a few times, but hey, over here its a €110.000k MSRP car and I expect a certain level of service. What i changed:

- Changed colour to Sophisto (DGM)
- Added CF trim
- Added Laser lights
- Requested M Drivers package price & price for Malachite Green. Both too expensive for what it is, so denied.
- Changed from Sakhir to Midrand Beige

Promised to not do any changes anymore Still got an invitation to dinner/BMW event, it wasn't that bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 08:16 AM   #9
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I don’t think Tartufo is too brown.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
HTX345.00
Strick243.00
      05-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #10
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Base Price to fully loaded is only like an extra 10K, so I just opted to deck it out with every option, settled on color, bought.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Zero modifications. Here is what I want, order this. Done.
Appreciate 2
thestimp975.00
KodiakEd227.00
      05-02-2022, 12:05 PM   #12
romes4rs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, X3MC, MYP

Made most of my changes prior to deposit but did change from Carbon Black to Marina Bay Blue after which they kindly asked that I make all changes at the time. Week 21 build, so I guess they didn't want the order to get rescheduled for whatever reason.
Appreciate 1
Strick243.00
      05-02-2022, 02:42 PM   #13
SupraCooper
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 94 6spd turbo Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by romes4rs View Post
Made most of my changes prior to deposit but did change from Carbon Black to Marina Bay Blue after which they kindly asked that I make all changes at the time. Week 21 build, so I guess they didn't want the order to get rescheduled for whatever reason.
Cool, I'm week 21 build too.

I'm a CA here. You can make as many changes as you want as long as it's done before it drops into 150 status "scheduled for production". Once it's in 150. That's it! Can't change it anymore.. it can get a little annoying to our center sales manager, if you change it multiple times, but at the end of the day. We just want you to be happy

My biggest hang up was trying to decided between sahkir or Tartufo on marina bay. I eventually decided on sahkir bc it's kinda only exclusive to the M cars. Tartufos beautiful but you can get it on regular models.
Appreciate 1
Strick243.00
      05-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #14
Strick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC, 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraCooper View Post
Cool, I'm week 21 build too.

I'm a CA here. You can make as many changes as you want as long as it's done before it drops into 150 status "scheduled for production". Once it's in 150. That's it! Can't change it anymore.. it can get a little annoying to our center sales manager, if you change it multiple times, but at the end of the day. We just want you to be happy

My biggest hang up was trying to decided between sahkir or Tartufo on marina bay. I eventually decided on sahkir bc it's kinda only exclusive to the M cars. Tartufos beautiful but you can get it on regular models.
Also a week 21 build!

- I went from MBB to BG to AW , but that said I'm sold on the AW now. Can't wait!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #15
bear1m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Exclamation

I did all my waffling and agonizing before ordering. Initially I thought I would get BG with Midrand. Wasn't sure if I could get an allocation and all of the dealer-ordered jnventory coming in was configured with Sakhir. I looked at it but it was too red for my taste, and knowing me I would get the Midrand stained somehow. I liked the idea of the black bits contrasting against the BG but without seeing an X3 in that color I didn't want to risk it looking too light or too blue-ish so I ended up ordering BSM with black interior. Even after I placed the order I debated if I should have gotten BG but after finally seeing a BG non-M X3 in the flesh it didn't really call to me. BSM was definitely the right choice for me... couldn't be happier!
Edit: not sure why the warning triangle is on my post... not intentional.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 04:43 PM   #16
Saru85
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC

Made one change. Originally wanted a Marine Bay Blue exterior. Ultimately decided with Toronto Red exterior.
Appreciate 1
95wildtt829.50
      05-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #17
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
I changed nothing from my original X3MC order spec, but then I optioned it out in the first place. I did think for a minute about changing the color from BSM to CB, but decided to stick with the BSM. I am so glad I did. I love the blacked out BSM exterior with the SO interior. I find myself looking back every time I park it. I may be in love.

Here it is wearing my winter wheel/tire setup on the day I picked it up. Front window tints coming soon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DFTBA121.50
      05-03-2022, 06:34 PM   #18
stoked335d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2002 Mspec Nur  [10.00]
Only removed ventilated seats from my order. MBB/tartufo competition, exec pkg, default spare tire and roof, shadowline lights and red calipers. I didn't know seat design was different and CA didn't mention anything about any option. Found out here that some people complained abot ventilated seats being too harsh. Having slight back issues removed it. Other than that I knew exactly what I wanted.

OP: Try to see the colors you want in person. THat might help you finalize it. Second guessing will take you down a bad rabbit hole.
2014 S4 APR stg1 444hp retired
2010 335d; 2004 WRX wagon; 1994 300ZX -retired
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 08:31 PM   #19
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

My initial build for my X4 MC, made by my SA, included Red Calibers and 50-year emblems, neither of which I had asked for. So those were deleted. I prefer the standard blue calibers with the MBBlue exterior. Probably left some $$$ "on the table" be declining the 50-year emblems (they sell online for $$$) but the hassle of replacing the trunk opening back to the regular roundel emblems, wasn't worth it. Build week 20.
Appreciate 0