BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #1
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

X3M ride vs M3 ride

Anyone care to share an opinion?

I'm shortlisting a replacement for my current Audi SQ5 and am looking at a new M3 or X3M. My local dealer (Henderson, NV) does not have either in stock for test drives. The ones at the dealer are pre-sold and awaiting pick up.

My question: For those of you that driven both, is either the M3 or X3M ride in comfort mode any different? Or, is either car stiffer than the other?
I would be ordering either car with standard seats (not sport) and std 20" wheels.
I occasionally travel to places with bad roads (like So Cal ) and wondered if either vehicle has an edge on comfort.

Thanks in advance!
      04-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #2
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Anyone care to share an opinion?

I'm shortlisting a replacement for my current Audi SQ5 and am looking at a new M3 or X3M. My local dealer (Henderson, NV) does not have either in stock for test drives. The ones at the dealer are pre-sold and awaiting pick up.

My question: For those of you that driven both, is either the M3 or X3M ride in comfort mode any different? Or, is either car stiffer than the other?
I would be ordering either car with standard seats (not sport) and std 20" wheels.
I occasionally travel to places with bad roads (like So Cal ) and wondered if either vehicle has an edge on comfort.

Thanks in advance!
I’ve had both. I can say the X3M is definitely a little floatier than the m3/m4 variant, and obviously so, in hard corners the M doesn’t move, the X will have an ever so slight roll you can feel due to it being 4 inches or so higher off the ground. But by no means is the X just an SUV it still out doesn’t many American muscle cars as far as feel and grip. If you like the space the X is the way to go, if you like that solid sports car feeling and still want space the M3 is a winner. I am still debating grabbing a g80 in the future for daily and x3 for dogs and other stuff.

You can of course lower the X an inch or two and this adds a little to the corners for roll, but you can’t make an X feel like the G80, its just not meant to be that. Both fast as fuck and you will not be disappointed with either.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Had an f80 before the lci X3m but love my X3m.

I agree with the comment above but the X3m is still a blast and drives very very well and does things an suv has no right doing! I got the X3m because I needed the boot space for dogs, the f80 spent most of the time on the driveway.

I think the X3m tides better than my f80 comp. the lci X3m I think in particular is excellent, I expect the g80 to be similar if not better in this regard. Supporting the X3m requires a stiffer setup to avoid the roll associated with the higher CoG.

If you don't need the boot get the g80, if you don't need the rear seats and want something sport, buy a 2 seater sports car IMO.though I do enjoy the extra clearance in the suv, rather than being paranoid about scraping the carbon splitter on my f80.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

So I haven't driven the new m3, but I had an f80 m3 and have an e90 m3 comp that is lowered. I think both m3s have a much softer ride. Not too soft like it is compromised, but I find the x3m comp to be the stiffest, harshest car I've ever driven in. And that's after the software updates that helped, and new ps4s tires, that also helped.

That all being said, I love my x3m, I was racing a taycan 4s last night and he lost badly, and I know he was shocked as hell when I was right behind him on high speed turns. Nothing is more satisfying than high g turns in a high up suv.
Appreciate 2
f80NJ17210.00
stefan41083.50
      04-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
E9xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 '11 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
So I haven't driven the new m3, but I had an f80 m3 and have an e90 m3 comp that is lowered. I think both m3s have a much softer ride. Not too soft like it is compromised, but I find the x3m comp to be the stiffest, harshest car I've ever driven in. And that's after the software updates that helped, and new ps4s tires, that also helped.

That all being said, I love my x3m, I was racing a taycan 4s last night and he lost badly, and I know he was shocked as hell when I was right behind him on high speed turns. Nothing is more satisfying than high g turns in a high up suv.
May I ask what suspension your e90 m3 is on? I am in the market for a X3M and have an e92 m3 as a weekender. Trying to gauge how stiff these cars really are.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #6
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9xx View Post
Quote:

May I ask what suspension your e90 m3 is on? I am in the market for a X3M and have an e92 m3 as a weekender. Trying to gauge how stiff these cars really are.
I have no idea. Bought it that way. I think it's just lowered springs.

X3m comp is def stiff than any other bmw. Period. Just keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
E9xx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 '11 E90

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is yours a 21 or 22?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is yours a 21 or 22?
21 with newest software(which helped a lot), and mic ps4s tires(which also helped a lot).

22 is supposedly a little better.
Appreciate 1
E9xx16.50
      04-26-2022, 01:22 PM   #9
bear1m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I run my 22 X3MC suspension on sport because I find comfort mode to be too bouncy for my driving style. My previous was a 1M so YMMV.
Appreciate 0