BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
clarkerz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d (F25 - 2011)

DAB signal - B7F809

Just picked a 2011 BMW X3 30d (F25) - my first BM!

Having changed the fuel, air and pollen filter along with the expansion bottle due to it leaking around the sensor, I have one thing now to fix!

The DAB doesn't work, it has as there was the D1 national Multiplex registered with the corresponding stations however no signal and none of the local multiplexes showed.
Insta+ shows the error code as being B7F809 - open circuit in the DAB Band III aerial line is detected.

I've pulled out the head until and worked out the mustard coloured RF connector is the DAB aerial connector. If I use a makeshift DAB aerial roughly tuned to the DAB frequency range, all multiplexes pop up and it works fine.

Next thing is to try and work out where that tiny RF coax cable and the others are routed. When tested 3 of the 4 RF coax connectors at the head unit all have a 0Ohm earth which makes sense if they are all coneceted to the car using the body as a ground plane - or a bonded amp somewhere.

There are also 4 RF coax connectors connected to the shark fin aerial on the roof. Iam sure that Insta+ says the shark find does AM/FM/DAB and GPS??The box connected on the rear windscreen that connects to the heated rear window appears to be connected as an AM/FM earial as if you disconnect it then AM/FM stops instantly. there also appears to be a couple of filters near the shark fin but they don't have any RF connectors on them.

If you disconnect all RF connectors on the shark fin and the box on the rear window then the earth is still on the sheath of the DAB RF Coax at the head unit. This emans there has to be soemthign in between

From this, I am assuming there is something else ebtween the head unit and the shark fin however I am struggling to find it. I am tempted to buy a DAB glass antenna and stick in on the back however the enginner in me wants to fix this. I am looking for my old BT Lineman Tone kit so I can trace the cable without removing any panels in the front.

The DAB signal in my area is very strong so that's not the issue.

Anybody have any thought? Would appreciate any suggestions...

Thanks Clarkerz
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #2
clarkerz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d (F25 - 2011)

Ah..I found it - thanks to INSAT + it said it was in the rear left window - and it was!! The cabling is OK to the little box and was OK to the window before I accidently ripped off one of the connectors then attempted to solder back on.....will get an aftermarket DAB aerial and stick on the back window....my makeshift one works for now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 03:42 PM   #3
kitchy2k@yahoo.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

DAB

Is that just behind the passenger side...?
Can I just buy a window aftermarket dab aerial and connect it..?

Sorry bit dumb!
Appreciate 0