BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
JeffreyFortuna
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Radiator changes from 2011-12 to 13+, 35i

Looking for help here, tried searching but didn't see anything. I have a small leak in the radiator of my 2011 x3 35i. I ordered a replacement from ECS that shipped to me directly from BEHR in Georgia.

Once started into the job I noticed my radiator has one large and one small connection on the driver side and also one large and one small connection on the passenger side. The radiator I received as a replacement lacks the small connection on the bottom of the passenger side.

I called then emailed ECS and they claim the replacement radiator I have is correct but I also need a small rubber plug to cap off that fourth line my car currently has.

I have this small plug on order now but I'd really like to see/find a technical bulletin that tells me the 2011 & 2012 i35 have this extra line that somehow was not used going forward.

The fourth line on my car runs from the very bottom of the radiator back above half way down the block and connects to an aluminum pipe that is around 2" in diameter and runs further back toward the firewall.

All I was able to find was one other reference that when purchasing a radiator for either a 2011 or 2012 you also need that same rubber plug.

I did create this short video that shows my current radiator vs the replacement:

Thanks so much for any ideas or helpful tips
Jeffrey
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyFortuna View Post
Looking for help here, tried searching but didn't see anything. I have a small leak in the radiator of my 2011 x3 35i. I ordered a replacement from ECS that shipped to me directly from BEHR in Georgia.

Once started into the job I noticed my radiator has one large and one small connection on the driver side and also one large and one small connection on the passenger side. The radiator I received as a replacement lacks the small connection on the bottom of the passenger side.

I called then emailed ECS and they claim the replacement radiator I have is correct but I also need a small rubber plug to cap off that fourth line my car currently has.

I have this small plug on order now but I'd really like to see/find a technical bulletin that tells me the 2011 & 2012 i35 have this extra line that somehow was not used going forward.

The fourth line on my car runs from the very bottom of the radiator back above half way down the block and connects to an aluminum pipe that is around 2" in diameter and runs further back toward the firewall.

All I was able to find was one other reference that when purchasing a radiator for either a 2011 or 2012 you also need that same rubber plug.

I did create this short video that shows my current radiator vs the replacement:

Thanks so much for any ideas or helpful tips
Jeffrey
Something tells me this has to do with the transmission, oil, or auxiliary radiator.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Input last 7 of car's VIN at RealOEM.com; that should show OEM configuration of your car's cooling system, etc. and relevant part numbers of components.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
JeffreyFortuna
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Input last 7 of car's VIN at RealOEM.com; that should show OEM configuration of you car's cooling system and relevant part numbers of components.
Wgosma, thanks so much for the tip about that site! RealOEM is amazing and I was able to track and learn that my fourth fitting is a hose that connects back to the metal pipe that looks like it moves coolant to or from the back of the block up to the water pump. Also tapping into that pipe is a smaller hose that does go down to the turbo.
On the Diagrams the specific hose in question is ghosted out and not listed as a part number. The part number for the metal pipe has a new number and mentions the new super-seeds the old.
I believe this line was there as part of the sports package, it might have added a bit of extra cooling and been part of the high speed synchronisation??

I'll continue to search but if this is correct it makes me feel better, I live in San Diego so our temps are almost always mild and if I plug off this hose a lose a little extra cooling I'm not going to stress.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good luck.
Another site worth bookmarking is Newtis.info; it's basically the service/repair resource BMW technicians use as reference.

Let us know how the water pump/:thermostat install goes...I've been pondering doing that myself but it looks like a bear of a job due to where those components are located.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:
Good luck.
Another site worth bookmarking is Newtis.info; it's basically the service/repair resource BMW technicians use as reference.

Let us know how the water pump/:thermostat install goes...I've been pondering doing that myself but it looks like a bear of a job due to where those components are located.
Water pump and thermostat are easy if you can, say, install a downpipe. Takes 2-3 hours. Just be ready for the downpour

You should renew the hose between the pump and the thermostat as well. It doesn't do well with reinstalling since it's malleable. Don't forget to replace those stretch bolts that connect the pump to the block. They are not meant to be reused.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebro View Post
Quote:
Good luck.

Water pump and thermostat are easy if you can, say, install a downpipe. Takes 2-3 hours. Just be ready for the downpour

You should renew the hose between the pump and the thermostat as well. It doesn't do well with reinstalling since it's malleable. Don't forget to replace those stretch bolts that connect the pump to the block. They are not meant to be reused.
Thanks. 2-3 hours seems pretty quick based on what I've read in few posts. Obviously doable but looks bit unpleasant- I need to mull the DIY idea over a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
Jamreal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Did you eventually figure out parts for the radiator? Mine is currently at the mechanic and I cannot figure out what hoses I need
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #9
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Bump for any further info on what to do with the 4th hose.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #10
Martin Strauss
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive 35i

Tips on replacing 2011 x3 radiator needed!! Help. Thanks. Bought Nissens part # 17118623369 from fcp euro
Appreciate 0