BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #45
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
What I'm wondering is why it's almost always the passenger side? I'm assuming that both left and right springs are the same from the plant? So if both were made using the same process is there something about our vehicles that puts more stress on the rear-passenger side?
For LHD vehicles, the right side of the roadway is where a majority of the salt/dirt debris ends up, therefore more salt ends up on the right spring. Thoroughly power washing the undercarriage with special attention on the bottom area of the spring will reduce the corrosion.

BTW, I've also seen the left side spring fail as well and more likely on vehicles in the salt belts. I use a good dose of QMaxx Salt on critical areas prior to winter which dramatically reduces corrosion, I hate rusty fasteners
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      02-16-2022, 12:29 PM   #46
135i08yes
Rep
Drives: bmw

Had this on my f25 x3 when I purchased it. Drove fine. Made a loud pinging noise when going over speed bumps because of the broken spring. Decided to just get h&r lowering springs and change all 4 instead of replacing only the rears with OEM springs.
Appreciate 0