BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #23
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Yeah I wasn't seeing them in my area under 75k. That being said I'm seeing low mileage M40i's for 40-50k. So might bite the bullet and save 20k.

No used XM3C at all but I'm sure that will change over the next year.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #24
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

The X3MC is great for the money. If it had the Macan PDK it would be perfect. I am not in love with the ZF8.

Fit and finish is as others have said. Nice but a step below Porsche.

We average 13mpg in the X3MC. I drive the 911 TTS the same way and average 20mpg.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #25
NJ-X3MGuy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Thanks for the continued feedback. It seems that the consensus here is that the X3M does in fact eat has. Also sounds like the build quality (if Porsche is a 10) is probably an 8-9? Have to agree that the power, tech, extra space and price continue to be attractive. I think the new plan is to keep my Macan Turbo and add the X3M. I don't think I am ready to part with her just yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #26
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-X3MGuy View Post
Thanks for the continued feedback. It seems that the consensus here is that the X3M does in fact eat has. Also sounds like the build quality (if Porsche is a 10) is probably an 8-9? Have to agree that the power, tech, extra space and price continue to be attractive. I think the new plan is to keep my Macan Turbo and add the X3M. I don't think I am ready to part with her just yet.
Would you mod your X3M or leave her stock?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #27
NJ-X3MGuy
Rep

I am a stock type of guy.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #28
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
I'd be curious if you will feel this way once you get the X3MC.

Not the same comparison, but I replaced a 2005 E46 M3 with my X3MC and I don't miss it at all. The only thing I really miss are the looks.

Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #29
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I think you should just keep your Macan and forget about the X3M. You clearly love your Macan and I'm not sure you really need two performance SUVs at home.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #30
Agent 99
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

We did a 2 for 1 swap for the X3M - a 2018 Honda CRV Touring, and a lovely 2008 Porsche Cayman. And a check... But we have in one car all the functionality of the CRV(plenty of room for the dog crate), and honestly even more fun than the Cayman( but I do miss her, and the 6 speed short shifter)...so it was economical, kind of, insurance is cheaper, since we went from 2 people with 4 cars, to 2 people with 3 cars...and the X3M makes my husband's heart go pitter patter ( when I let him drive it).
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 07:22 PM   #31
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Not trying to Jack the thread but I'm in the same dilemma between a Macan S or GTS and and a X3 M40i
I'd say that the same comparisons hold true for those vehicles, too. Each vehicle has its strengths, but when I take the price difference into account, I have a hard time voting for the Macan.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7838.00
nicky dj344.50
      07-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #32
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Bit of very small advise for anyone shopping for a preowned B58. The 2020 is a night and day in performance stock for stock compared to 2018-2019. And modding it is even a bigger difference. Just my .02.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7838.00
      07-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #33
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Not trying to Jack the thread but I'm in the same dilemma between a Macan S or GTS and and a X3 M40i
It would really depend on what type of roads you drive on. I have a M40i and while it's great going straight line (and sounds pretty decent doing so), as soon a curve is encountered it feels like a regular SUV (doesn't really deserve the 'M performance' designation in this sense). I'm fine with it as it's our family hauler and primarily my wife's car.

So if you are primarily driving on highways, M40i with B58 may provide more satisfaction in terms of passing power and more space compared to Macan. If you have access to twisty backroads and canyons, GTS or X3M would be a whole lot more fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #34
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Quote:
It would really depend on what type of roads you drive on. I have a M40i and while it's great going straight line (and sounds pretty decent doing so), as soon a curve is encountered it feels like a regular SUV (doesn't really deserve the 'M performance' designation in this sense). I'm fine with it as it's our family hauler and primarily my wife's car.

So if you are primarily driving on highways, M40i with B58 may provide more satisfaction in terms of passing power and more space compared to Macan. If you have access to twisty backroads and canyons, GTS or X3M would be a whole lot more fun.
That's good info. Thanks!

Is there any suspension and steering settings on the M40i other than the sport dynamic sport mode of the engine/transmission?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #35
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:

Is there any suspension and steering settings on the M40i other than the sport dynamic sport mode of the engine/transmission?
You can adjust suspension with M adaptive suspension (option). You can set steering to sport which adds weight to the feel.

Larger wheels and summer tires would help with the handling, but at that point, I would just get the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #36
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You can adjust suspension with M adaptive suspension (option). You can set steering to sport which adds weight to the feel.

Larger wheels and summer tires would help with the handling, but at that point, I would just get the X3M.
Got it. So the M adaptive suspension is an optional upgrade. Probably 5k I'd imagine.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:14 PM   #37
bigfoot1523
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:

This. 100%.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #38
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Got it. So the M adaptive suspension is an optional upgrade. Probably 5k I'd imagine.
On the X3 M40i, the Adaptive M Suspension is a steal at $700. Most people that don't have it don't know what they are missing.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 01:31 AM   #39
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
On the X3 M40i, the Adaptive M Suspension is a steal at $700. Most people that don't have it don't know what they are missing.
Yeah I was looking at the options and surprised it's only that much. Must be a software upgrade?

I also saw that the have the M-differential for $1300. A locking LSD would do wonders. Impressive
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #40
cava23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I think you should just keep your Macan and forget about the X3M. You clearly love your Macan and I'm not sure you really need two performance SUVs at home.
+1

When I've had multiple cars in the past I always felt like I was neglecting one or the other. Now I try to keep my life less complicated (which got easier when I moved to the city and only have room for one car haha). I'd keep the Macan unless you are concerned with not having a warranty anymore. I haven't had any newer Porsches, just an 08 Cayenne GTS and an 07 911 turbo. They were both horribly unreliable, but again that's only two data points.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #41
NJ-X3MGuy
Rep

Thanks for the kind words guys. All ready have too many cars, so one more will not make much of a difference. The garage right now consists of:

- 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
- 2019 Porsche 911 Carrera T
- 2001 C5 Corvette Supercharged with 675HP
- 1964 Corvette Roadster (fully restored)

So there is always a car or two which are not getting the love :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #42
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Hi guys -

Happy to be back here on the BMW forums. I've been away for a while (since my manual 335ix) but considering coming back to BMW with a 2020 X3M Competition. I am currently driving a 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo with 74,000 miles. I custom ordered the car, waited nine months to get her, and she's been 100% trouble free, but I am thinking it's time to exit and hoping that the X3M will be a great replacement? I have to admit that I am a bit of a Porsche fan boy, but I also have a 2019 911 Carrera T with a manual transmission which should scratch the Porsche itch when needed. So, if I do go with the X3M, I will likely sell the Macan and switch back to BMW for my daily sport SUV.

I need some guidance and help on my thoughts.

These include:

1. Will the X3M be a good replacement for the Macan Turbo? I love the power and sounds of the S58 engine and who can argue with the BMW tech and extra space. I sometime worry that the special vibe of the Porsche brand and extremely high-end full leather interior will be missed. How's the quality of the BMW built here in the states? Any rattles? What about the peeling paint issue I read about here on the forum?

2. I read a lot about ride quality in the X3M Comp. I test drove one and while it seemed a bit stiffer than the air suspension in the Macan, it did not seem unlivable and handled like it was on rails.

3. While I should not be worrying about gas mileage in a car at this price point, what are you guys getting in the real world in the city and highway? The Macan gets 18 city and 23MPG on the highway. I have to admit I don't want to drive a new car that eats premium fuel at 12-14MPG all day long.

4. What about the best deals? I am seeing discounts in the 8-10% range here in NJ and also would get the $5,000.00 rebate and $750.00 conquest. Also seems to make sense to take the .9 or 1.9 BMW financing rates and keep my cash in the bank. Also wondering if I can "stack" the PenFed $500.00 credit union certificate with these incentives?

5. Need to think about winter wheels and tires as I am in NJ. Not a big fan of the Continental summer tires, I hear they wear out before 10k miles. Would prefer the Michelin 21" Pilot Sport 4S. But now I see that Michelin is releasing the new all season 4 tire in 21" sizes. Maybe swap out for them year round as my all season Michelin's on the Macan handle well and had great tread wear, lasting for 45,000 miles. Or I can do a full winter wheel/tire package from TireRack for around $2,100.00 with TPMS and Pirelli scorpion all seasons or winter rubber.

6. Final thought - there seem to be a lot of these M SUV's hitting the second hand market quickly. There are several posted here here and on swaplease where owners want out quickly. Just the economy or am I missing something with the special models?

So I need some help and feedback. I am close to pulling the trigger and an really not interested in a 2021. I hear that the new car will have the X6M virtual cockpit and honestly, it's not my favorite. I kind of like the virtual instruments which look like dials. Also, I expect deals will not be this strong for a while.

Thanks all!
1) yes It’s definitely an upgrade I have the competition model
2) the ride is perfect
3) I am getting 19 miles per gallon and I do not baby yet
4) I got about 11% off how do use BMW financing though
5) I am no help here I am still on my summer tires
6). I wouldn’t worry about it I’ll cars in this class are going to depreciate

My wife and I between us have always had 4 to 7 cars I do not feel like if you ever got neglected. I currently have the 2020 X.3 MC and a 2020 Ford raptor