BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
NJ-X3MGuy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Swapping a Porsche Macan Turbo for a 2020 X3M Competition - Need Help!

Hi guys -

Happy to be back here on the BMW forums. I've been away for a while (since my manual 335ix) but considering coming back to BMW with a 2020 X3M Competition. I am currently driving a 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo with 74,000 miles. I custom ordered the car, waited nine months to get her, and she's been 100% trouble free, but I am thinking it's time to exit and hoping that the X3M will be a great replacement? I have to admit that I am a bit of a Porsche fan boy, but I also have a 2019 911 Carrera T with a manual transmission which should scratch the Porsche itch when needed. So, if I do go with the X3M, I will likely sell the Macan and switch back to BMW for my daily sport SUV.

I need some guidance and help on my thoughts.

These include:

1. Will the X3M be a good replacement for the Macan Turbo? I love the power and sounds of the S58 engine and who can argue with the BMW tech and extra space. I sometime worry that the special vibe of the Porsche brand and extremely high-end full leather interior will be missed. How's the quality of the BMW built here in the states? Any rattles? What about the peeling paint issue I read about here on the forum?

2. I read a lot about ride quality in the X3M Comp. I test drove one and while it seemed a bit stiffer than the air suspension in the Macan, it did not seem unlivable and handled like it was on rails.

3. While I should not be worrying about gas mileage in a car at this price point, what are you guys getting in the real world in the city and highway? The Macan gets 18 city and 23MPG on the highway. I have to admit I don't want to drive a new car that eats premium fuel at 12-14MPG all day long.

4. What about the best deals? I am seeing discounts in the 8-10% range here in NJ and also would get the $5,000.00 rebate and $750.00 conquest. Also seems to make sense to take the .9 or 1.9 BMW financing rates and keep my cash in the bank. Also wondering if I can "stack" the PenFed $500.00 credit union certificate with these incentives?

5. Need to think about winter wheels and tires as I am in NJ. Not a big fan of the Continental summer tires, I hear they wear out before 10k miles. Would prefer the Michelin 21" Pilot Sport 4S. But now I see that Michelin is releasing the new all season 4 tire in 21" sizes. Maybe swap out for them year round as my all season Michelin's on the Macan handle well and had great tread wear, lasting for 45,000 miles. Or I can do a full winter wheel/tire package from TireRack for around $2,100.00 with TPMS and Pirelli scorpion all seasons or winter rubber.

6. Final thought - there seem to be a lot of these M SUV's hitting the second hand market quickly. There are several posted here here and on swaplease where owners want out quickly. Just the economy or am I missing something with the special models?

So I need some help and feedback. I am close to pulling the trigger and an really not interested in a 2021. I hear that the new car will have the X6M virtual cockpit and honestly, it's not my favorite. I kind of like the virtual instruments which look like dials. Also, I expect deals will not be this strong for a while.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Have a read here:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731358
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:57 PM   #3
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

My 2 cents....

1) From a power perspective the X3MC will embarrass the Macan Turbo. My build quality is top notch. I did have a rattle in the overhead console the dealer fixed. Next time I will do it myself. I do have a TPMS issue that I have to take back as the just noted it left a code but did nothing to fix it. No peeling paint for me.

2) I only test drove the Macan S and the ride did seem smoother. However I have no issues with my X3MC other than when I do hit a bad bump I get a "boom" sound in the cabin. I love the ride.

3) I get 11 - 12 local and made 18 highway. It guzzles gas. Much worse around town (and I'm not in the city, just stop lights with minimal traffic. Easing on the throttle did nothing to improve it. Meanwhile, the 18 MPG I was nailing it on the highway (up to 120 or 130). It drinks more if you are on local roads vs. highway.

4) I forget the exact number but I think I got a 12% discount in December. Search for other threads on this. Banks are dropping interest rates so that's your call. If you are making more interest at the bank it may be worth it. I just paid cash because I hate owing money (I'm not rich btw).

5) I went with separate winter wheels/tires. It's nice to be able to drive in the snow. However, all seasons (especially the new PS ones), may be a good option. It hardly snows in NY (long island) anymore and when it does it is cleared up by the next day. I was more concerned about losing performance in summer than gaining snow performance. Also the Contis start to lose grip around 50 degrees.

Here's my thread on my winter setup: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ghlight=winter

6) I can't speak to that but I think it is people losing their jobs wanting to get out of an expensive lease payment.

Good luck in whatever you decide. This is literally the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #4
SWOT1
The Hammock Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC, X3 M40i, E93 M3

Garage List
Easily the worst aspect of the X3M is the gas mileage... getting 12.2 mpg with mostly (sport plus) city driving. If you can get over that, it's a no brainer... BMW for the win!

- '20 X3MC | Alpine White | Black Alcantara/Midrand Beige | loaded | 295/265 PS4S
- '09 E93 M3 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige Novillo | DCT | loaded | Chrome M220 Wheels - 275/255 PSS
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:26 AM   #5
bigfoot1523
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-X3MGuy View Post
Hi guys -

Happy to be back here on the BMW forums. I've been away for a while (since my manual 335ix) but considering coming back to BMW with a 2020 X3M Competition. I am currently driving a 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo with 74,000 miles. I custom ordered the car, waited nine months to get her, and she's been 100% trouble free, but I am thinking it's time to exit and hoping that the X3M will be a great replacement? I have to admit that I am a bit of a Porsche fan boy, but I also have a 2019 911 Carrera T with a manual transmission which should scratch the Porsche itch when needed. So, if I do go with the X3M, I will likely sell the Macan and switch back to BMW for my daily sport SUV.

I need some guidance and help on my thoughts.

These include:

1. Will the X3M be a good replacement for the Macan Turbo? I love the power and sounds of the S58 engine and who can argue with the BMW tech and extra space. I sometime worry that the special vibe of the Porsche brand and extremely high-end full leather interior will be missed. How's the quality of the BMW built here in the states? Any rattles? What about the peeling paint issue I read about here on the forum?

2. I read a lot about ride quality in the X3M Comp. I test drove one and while it seemed a bit stiffer than the air suspension in the Macan, it did not seem unlivable and handled like it was on rails.

3. While I should not be worrying about gas mileage in a car at this price point, what are you guys getting in the real world in the city and highway? The Macan gets 18 city and 23MPG on the highway. I have to admit I don't want to drive a new car that eats premium fuel at 12-14MPG all day long.

4. What about the best deals? I am seeing discounts in the 8-10% range here in NJ and also would get the $5,000.00 rebate and $750.00 conquest. Also seems to make sense to take the .9 or 1.9 BMW financing rates and keep my cash in the bank. Also wondering if I can "stack" the PenFed $500.00 credit union certificate with these incentives?

5. Need to think about winter wheels and tires as I am in NJ. Not a big fan of the Continental summer tires, I hear they wear out before 10k miles. Would prefer the Michelin 21" Pilot Sport 4S. But now I see that Michelin is releasing the new all season 4 tire in 21" sizes. Maybe swap out for them year round as my all season Michelin's on the Macan handle well and had great tread wear, lasting for 45,000 miles. Or I can do a full winter wheel/tire package from TireRack for around $2,100.00 with TPMS and Pirelli scorpion all seasons or winter rubber.

6. Final thought - there seem to be a lot of these M SUV's hitting the second hand market quickly. There are several posted here here and on swaplease where owners want out quickly. Just the economy or am I missing something with the special models?

So I need some help and feedback. I am close to pulling the trigger and an really not interested in a 2021. I hear that the new car will have the X6M virtual cockpit and honestly, it's not my favorite. I kind of like the virtual instruments which look like dials. Also, I expect deals will not be this strong for a while.

Thanks all!
My feedback:

1. X3MC is definitely a better car than the Macan, however, you can't go wrong with either car. The X3MC is just a fun car to drive

2. Suspension and ride quality - yeah, it's stiffer than normal, but it settles down after a while. For context, I'm 2k miles in, and I went off roading on a really bumpy tarmac the other day, and it handled it surprisingly well. Was fully expecting to come out of that trip with a slip disc, but we survived with no complains (wife, baby, dog).

3. Economy - my biggest concern when I bought it based on what I had read. Happy to report otherwise. My daily drive mode is in efficient - plenty of power. I did baby it till the RIS, and let loose post. Switch to sports every now and then. My combined average mileage is 19.2, and on the highway, I'm getting 23-24. I have a long road trip coming up from DC to Austin, so can't wait to see what it does. But the city stop-go driving does hurt your mileage harder than other cars. If you're in a large city living the downtown life, this probably isn't the right car for you. Suburbia - works just fine.

4. Bought my car during the Memorial Day weekend, got it at 12% off sticker + 6500 rebate. Sure you can get some good deals now as well on the 2020s.

5. Can't speak much about the winter setup. Will say that I am on Contis right now, and I'll be swapping to the PS4 when it's time. One of the things I regret not having the dealer change (not that the tire is bad, it does well, it's just not long lasting).

6. Used cars - no idea why, but could be a combination of things, economy, better deal, bigger car, spouse kicked their asses to buy a more practical car, etc. I've been surprised at the value of the used cars. Seems better than expected.

All in all, I love the car. Handles like a champ. It drives like a sports sedan with all the practicality for my family.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

My X3MC replaced my 2016 Macan Turbo. I loved the Macan, but had problems with it & didn't want to keep it after the warranty ran out. We were concerned that it would continue to be a problem, even with an after-market warranty. My thoughts:

1. The X3 feels like it's bigger than the Macan. The Cabin is roomier & the hatch line gives it more cargo room than the Macan has.

2. Fit & finish of the Macan is nicer. The leather in the Macan was nicer, & I miss having a leather dash. It's a small thing, but noticeable.

3. Ride is firm, but not uncomfortable. It softens up after a few miles. I've got just under 3,000 miles on the X3 & it's softer than it first was.

We've had many BMWs over the years & I'm happy to be back into this one. We'd looked into ordering a new Macan Turbo, but couldn't justify the $20K difference between my builds & the X3. Not sure why there are so many used ones on the market, but I concur with bigfoot1523's thoughts on that.

I'm hoping this car holds up for the long haul. I'd like to keep a car well beyond its warranty period for a change, & would love for this to be that car. No regrets on the switch & don't miss the Macan any more.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #7
NJ-X3MGuy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Thanks for all the feedback! I agree that the Macan likely has a slightly higher build quality and the full leather dash and upper door sills look really nice. I worry about the US plant assembly process and the peeling paint thread scare me to death...

Sounds like gas mileage around town will be poor, in the low teens but 20-22MPG may be attainable on the highway, which would work. I suspect we will all be driving less now with the WFH and pandemic world we live in.

Still working on my deal, good news is that I have a family member in the business who's helping me with the perfect match car and also a solid price.

Will keep everyone posted. I may end up just keeping the Macan alongside of the X3M as it's paid for. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

1) X3M is more sporty. Faster, stiffer, better handling (subjectively at least), and added bonus of waaay more space than Macan. Build quality is fine. Maybe a minor step down from Porsche but it is still good. You are at risk to lose the rattle lottery with any BMW but I'm not sure how that compares with Porsche.

2) The ride is stiff and depending on who you ask it is comfortable stiff (my opinion) or intolerable stiff. Only you can decide that one.

3) 15-16 mpg 80% highway miles and driving aggressively.

4) 10% off before incentives or walk. Some do better than that but I don't know how.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      07-07-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Not trying to Jack the thread but I'm in the same dilemma between a Macan S or GTS and and a X3 M40i
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:50 PM   #10
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Not trying to Jack the thread but I'm in the same dilemma between a Macan S or GTS and and a X3 M40i
Macans are very nice luxury SUVs. However, even the GTS is pretty underpowered (at least in comparison to 2020 M40i). I also really dislike the soft suspension in Macan, don’t know why so many people rave about it. It drives nothing like a 911. X3 M40i is clearly the driver’s choice, quick, firm and sporty.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #11
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Macans are very nice luxury SUVs. However, even the GTS is pretty underpowered (at least in comparison to 2020 M40i). I also really dislike the soft suspension in Macan, don’t know why so many people rave about it. It drives nothing like a 911. X3 M40i is clearly the driver’s choice, quick, firm and sporty.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I would tune either to maximize potential Bootmod3 X40i and Cobb for the GTS.

People do rave about the dual clutch PDK transmission on the Macan though.

I like the look of the Macan better, but obviously the BMW has more breathing room. Tough choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #12
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I would tune either to maximize potential Bootmod3 X40i and Cobb for the GTS.

People do rave about the dual clutch PDK transmission on the Macan though.

I like the look of the Macan better, but obviously the BMW has more breathing room. Tough choice.
If you seriously care about performance and plan to mod, there is only one correct choice: the X3 M40i. B58 is very moddable as suby01 will surely confirm. You will not get the same degree of performance out of a Macan GTS.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:25 PM   #13
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Yeah B58 has so much potential without needing to go to the S58.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #14
ivansis
Rep
Drives: X3MC

My 2c if I may after owning X3MC for 2 months:

Pros:
Engine, - it just screams power! Yes, screams, since you need to bring RPMs to realize it. It's a beast if you let it go.
Space, utility, - I'm coming from sedan (S4) and getting my daughter into child seat is much easier. Headroom, no problem throwing my bike in with half-folded back seats, decent leg room behind. This is still a compact SUV!
Sound, - this is MMMmm... you're noticed on a road, there is a beast there. i like it!
Turns, - no problem, no need to slow down, it goes where you point. Steering feel and balance are excellent I think. (for an SUV)
Design, styling, - I think this is the best looking compact SUV. Don't get me wrong, Macan is very slick but I feel it doesn't have this rough edge in it. Maybe too refined? Too cute?
BWM incentives, - at the end of the day I think nobody can beat BMW's rates or incentives. Maybe it was good timing because of covid, but neither Audi (I'm sure Porsche too) nor MB were close to discounts BMW gave.

Cons:
Build quality, - I've found few particles in the paint, someone put wrinkled leather on door handle. (in order, dealer will be replacing when replacement arrives).
Interior, - totally personal preference, but I feel it's a small step down even from Audi. Materials, ergonomics, technology (e.g. no google maps, speed recognition doesn't distinguish school zone, sudden parking assist activations...)
Audio, - i wish there was an option to upgrade audio. I loved B&O in S4 which came standard in 20K cheaper car.

Other observations:
Ride quality, - yes, it's stiff, but very controlled, and I'm in NJ too. I actually prefer suspension in "sport" mode, - less bouncy, but definitely I can live with it.
Tires, - I'm planning to switch to all-seasons, and luckily tirerack has new Michelin tires in our size in stock.
I feel like fuel consumption is on par, if not better than my B9S4 was. getting about 14mi. Big factor is your driving habit of course.

Hope this is a bit helpful... Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:17 AM   #15
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well... no...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:13 AM   #16
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well... no...
Pretty sure I can crank out 550-600 out of a B58 with downpipes, FMIC, e50 for 30k less.

Not trying to get 800hp out of an S58.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #17
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansis View Post
My 2c if I may after owning X3MC for 2 months:

Pros:
Engine, - it just screams power! Yes, screams, since you need to bring RPMs to realize it. It's a beast if you let it go.
Space, utility, - I'm coming from sedan (S4) and getting my daughter into child seat is much easier. Headroom, no problem throwing my bike in with half-folded back seats, decent leg room behind. This is still a compact SUV!
Sound, - this is MMMmm... you're noticed on a road, there is a beast there. i like it!
Turns, - no problem, no need to slow down, it goes where you point. Steering feel and balance are excellent I think. (for an SUV)
Design, styling, - I think this is the best looking compact SUV. Don't get me wrong, Macan is very slick but I feel it doesn't have this rough edge in it. Maybe too refined? Too cute?
BWM incentives, - at the end of the day I think nobody can beat BMW's rates or incentives. Maybe it was good timing because of covid, but neither Audi (I'm sure Porsche too) nor MB were close to discounts BMW gave.

Cons:
Build quality, - I've found few particles in the paint, someone put wrinkled leather on door handle. (in order, dealer will be replacing when replacement arrives).
Interior, - totally personal preference, but I feel it's a small step down even from Audi. Materials, ergonomics, technology (e.g. no google maps, speed recognition doesn't distinguish school zone, sudden parking assist activations...)
Audio, - i wish there was an option to upgrade audio. I loved B&O in S4 which came standard in 20K cheaper car.

Other observations:
Ride quality, - yes, it's stiff, but very controlled, and I'm in NJ too. I actually prefer suspension in "sport" mode, - less bouncy, but definitely I can live with it.
Tires, - I'm planning to switch to all-seasons, and luckily tirerack has new Michelin tires in our size in stock.
I feel like fuel consumption is on par, if not better than my B9S4 was. getting about 14mi. Big factor is your driving habit of course.

Hope this is a bit helpful... Good luck!
I found that slamming it or babying it had little impact on my mileage. I didn't let it get over 3k RPM during break in (well mostly ) and I was a solid 11 - 12 MPG.

What really made the difference for me was driving highway where I got 18 (!) MPG and I was driving hard.

I'm sure I could bring that up more but it seems that city is crap no matter how you drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #18
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

On the PenFed $500 discount - yes it is stackable with all other current incentives. I did it myself in February (also here in NJ). My dealership had never seen the OL code from PenFed before, but they figured it out. Stacked on top of the loyalty and the finance credit, so I got $7,000 in rebates on my purchase (only got 3.04% interest, missed out on the .9%). Plus I still got to apply for the $500 BMW CCA credit so all in, $7,500 in rebates/credits. When all was said and done I got an effective 21.4% discount off of my $80.545 MSRP.

On the handling front, the Macan is firm, yet compliant. The X3M Competition is really firm, but not very compliant. Hence the complaints (I am one of the complainers) about the ride quality. This is why I went with a base X3M. The ride is still very firm, yet a bit more compliant/refined than the Competition. To me that is the key difference between the Macan (GTS/Turbo) vs. the X3M. Porsche has struck the better balance (in my mind anyway) between firmness and compliance/refinement.

If you are planning on modding, buying an X3M Competition and then putting something like the MSS spring kit on will probably get you closer to the ride/handling balance of the Macan GTS/Turbo, but figure about $2,000 to make that mod. I still might do the MSS springs even on my base X3M. On smooth roads I think the handling/comfort balance is perfect on my base X3M. On rough/choppy roads (which I have a lot of near me) I occasionally wish for a little more compliance in the suspension.

Last edited by Influence; 07-08-2020 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #19
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Build quality is good and equal to the other bmws I have had that were built in Germany and South Africa. I drive almost exclusively in sport plus and get about 15mpg city. I did two 1000 mile highway drives in efficient mode and averaged just over 20mpg with cruise set between 80-85
AlexFL7835.00
      07-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #20
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well... no...
Pretty sure I can crank out 550-600 out of a B58 with downpipes, FMIC, e50 for 30k less.

I paid $67k for my X3M comp. :

The price gap is more like $5000 and a cheap stage 1 tune gets you those numbers on the S58.

Anyway, Porsche Macan Turbo is awesome but under performs X3M by a significant margin in many areas.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      07-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #21
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well... no...

The price gap is more like $5000 and a cheap stage 1 tune gets you those numbers on the S58.

Anyway, Porsche Macan Turbo is awesome but under performs X3M by a significant margin in many areas.
67k?? Where? Used? Hmm.... might have to get wait for the depreciated market then.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #22
bigfoot1523
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well... no...

67k?? Where? Used? Hmm.... might have to get wait for the depreciated market then.
You can get them new for that price. Looks like a lot of folks did that in May-June. I got mine at 67k new after discounts and rebates. I think used cars are more or less going for the same rate as well.
Appreciate 0