BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-13-2020, 01:20 AM   #1
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X4M Comp

22'S, 315's and MSS installed on X4M Competition build

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
-First off, big thanks to Ben at RG. For the spring install and reflectors, Ben had me in and out within 2 hours. I am waiting for his Mid Pipe/H Pipe and tune along with Carbon Fiber spoilers for the next round. I have my go to shop, thanks Ben.

- MSS Springs. I like to run my cars low, so Ben lowered mine 5 mm more than his. He can chime in, but my best guess would be that the car has been lowered a little less than 1.25". I would like to have it a little lower, but I'll have to wait for Coil overs. I can say, this car has VERY little suspension travel built into it. My Vettes/Vipers/Hellcats that have been lowered 2"+ with Motons/ Penskes/LG Coil overs have had much more travel, of course those are high end coil overs, these are just springs. As far as the ride. It’s not bad at all, but definitely a little choppy. You can feel it's had travel taken out of it. It’s nothing unbearable, but noticeable. As far as ride, since its choppier, its mitigated some of the softness of the springs in regard to ride quality. Overall, its softer, but does corner a little better because of the lowered center of gravity. I am probably one of the few that actually like the stiffness of the stock ride, but most guys here would probably dig this set up.

- Vossen Wheels- I went with 22x9.5 and 22x11. Tires are 285/30/22 and 315/30/22 Michelin PS4S. There is zero rubbing. As far as Vossen goes, where do I begin with these ass clowns. I have ordered multiple sets of wheels from I-forged, CCW, Triumph Forged, Fuel, Method, XD and Niche. Outside of my last set of wheels for my AMG, Vossen is the worst. First, they sent out the first set of wheels that were a completely different style than was ordered. Luckily my shop had the email for the order, so Vossen couldn’t squirm their way out of it. Then, they charge my shop shipping to send back the set they screwed up on. When I confronted them, no apology, no admission of their screw up. I asked for a rush on the new set, nothing doing. It will be 3-4 weeks was Jeremys response. When I ordered the wheels, I was told they would poke out a bit in back, and that running negative camber would tuck them back in. That was bullshi$ as well. The wheels are inboard/flush. I wanted an aggressive offset. These wheels weren’t my first choice, but this is the wife’s car, I didn’t want her curbing a set of expensive Signature wheels. I will rub my sack against a grinding wheel before I ever do business with Vossen again!!!!

Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Once I get the Mid/H pipe and tune, with Carbon Fiber spoilers, I'll love it even more. BMW did a hell of a job with this car, very impressive (No complaints from the wife either).
Attached Images

Last edited by Vettethret; 06-13-2020 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 24
Will Pwr747.50
Max Well4692.00
pluckydks621.50
ltym5195.50
SWOT1492.50
-JLT-3420.00
G80BSM282.50
Miko M6648.50
cfm56d7b5853.50
SuriM336.00
Bnks165.00
dazzapb1045.50
f82fanatic1043.00
Simple1133.50
A6bullet336.00
BrockDM2036.00
BOGX4M46.00
      06-13-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettethret View Post
-First off, big thanks to Ben at RG. For the spring install and reflectors, Ben had me in and out within 2 hours. I am waiting for his Mid Pipe/H Pipe and tune along with Carbon Fiber spoilers for the next round. I have my go to shop, thanks Ben.

- MSS Springs. ... Overall, its softer, but does corner a little better because of the lowered center of gravity. I am probably one of the few that actually like the stiffness of the stock ride, but most guys here would probably dig this set up.

- Vossen Wheels- I went with 22x9.5 and 22x11. Tires are 285/30/22 and 315/30/22 Michelin PS4S. There is zero rubbing. ...

Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Once I get the Mid/H pipe and tune, with Carbon Fiber spoilers, I'll love it even more. BMW did a hell of a job with this car, very impressive (No complaints from the wife either).
Wow - thanks Vettethret for sharing the amazing images of your wife's X4MC! And the discussion of upgrades you've done with r33_RGSport

BMW should use some of those for their marketing campaign. Congratulations!
Appreciate 3
      06-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
FrankieNuo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Quote:

- MSS Springs. I like to run my cars low, so Ben lowered mine 5 mm more than his. He can chime in, but my best guess would be that the car has been lowered a little less than 1.25". I would like to have it a little lower, but I'll have to wait for Coil overs. I can say, this car has VERY little suspension travel built into it. My Vettes/Vipers/Hellcats that have been lowered 2"+ with Motons/ Penskes/LG Coil overs have had much more travel, of course those are high end coil overs, these are just springs. As far as the ride. It's not bad at all, but definitely a little choppy. You can feel it's had travel taken out of it. It's nothing unbearable, but noticeable. As far as ride, since its choppier, its mitigated some of the softness of the springs in regard to ride quality. Overall, its softer, but does corner a little better because of the lowered center of gravity. I am probably one of the few that actually like the stiffness of the stock ride, but most guys here would probably dig this set up.

- Vossen Wheels- I went with 22x9.5 and 22x11. Tires are 285/30/22 and 315/30/22 Michelin PS4S. There is zero rubbing. As far as Vossen goes, where do I begin with these ass clowns. I have ordered multiple sets of wheels from I-forged, CCW, Triumph Forged, Fuel, Method, XD and Niche. Outside of my last set of wheels for my AMG, Vossen is the worst. First, they sent out the first set of wheels that were a completely different style than was ordered. Luckily my shop had the email for the order, so Vossen couldn't squirm their way out of it. Then, they charge my shop shipping to send back the set they screwed up on. When I confronted them, no apology, no admission of their screw up. I asked for a rush on the new set, nothing doing. It will be 3-4 weeks was Jeremys response. When I ordered the wheels, I was told they would poke out a bit in back, and that running negative camber would tuck them back in. That was bullshi$ as well. The wheels are inboard/flush. I wanted an aggressive offset. These wheels weren't my first choice, but this is the wife's car, I didn't want her curbing a set of expensive Signature wheels. I will rub my sack against a grinding wheel before I ever do business with Vossen again!!!!

Looks incredible! Have you considered powder coating the wheels?
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

- MSS Springs. I like to run my cars low, so Ben lowered mine 5 mm more than his. He can chime in, but my best guess would be that the car has been lowered a little less than 1.25". I would like to have it a little lower, but I'll have to wait for Coil overs. I can say, this car has VERY little suspension travel built into it. My Vettes/Vipers/Hellcats that have been lowered 2"+ with Motons/ Penskes/LG Coil overs have had much more travel, of course those are high end coil overs, these are just springs. As far as the ride. It’s not bad at all, but definitely a little choppy. You can feel it's had travel taken out of it. It’s nothing unbearable, but noticeable. As far as ride, since its choppier, its mitigated some of the softness of the springs in regard to ride quality. Overall, its softer, but does corner a little better because of the lowered center of gravity. I am probably one of the few that actually like the stiffness of the stock ride, but most guys here would probably dig this set up.

- Vossen Wheels- I went with 22x9.5 and 22x11. Tires are 285/30/22 and 315/30/22 Michelin PS4S. There is zero rubbing. As far as Vossen goes, where do I begin with these ass clowns. I have ordered multiple sets of wheels from I-forged, CCW, Triumph Forged, Fuel, Method, XD and Niche. Outside of my last set of wheels for my AMG, Vossen is the worst. First, they sent out the first set of wheels that were a completely different style than was ordered. Luckily my shop had the email for the order, so Vossen couldn’t squirm their way out of it. Then, they charge my shop shipping to send back the set they screwed up on. When I confronted them, no apology, no admission of their screw up. I asked for a rush on the new set, nothing doing. It will be 3-4 weeks was Jeremys response. When I ordered the wheels, I was told they would poke out a bit in back, and that running negative camber would tuck them back in. That was bullshi$ as well. The wheels are inboard/flush. I wanted an aggressive offset. These wheels weren’t my first choice, but this is the wife’s car, I didn’t want her curbing a set of expensive Signature wheels. I will rub my sack against a grinding wheel before I ever do business with Vossen again!!!!

Thank you for the shoutout and the business.

Looking forward to do more mods on it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
-

question for you - did you tell Vossen that you would be dropping the car when you decided on offsets/ordered? It looks like the offset is about perfectly flush front and rear now that you are lowered, so if you were at stock height, you'd probably have around 3-4mm of poke at all four corners. Judging by your pictures, I'm going to say your rear ET is right around 36, front ET is right around 16. Are these in the ballbark? Just trying to figure my own set of "summer" rims out now and want to nail things down.

Vossen has a few designs I like, but reading about experiences like yours certainly doesn't help their cause.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12805.00
      06-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
question for you - did you tell Vossen that you would be dropping the car when you decided on offsets/ordered? It looks like the offset is about perfectly flush front and rear now that you are lowered, so if you were at stock height, you'd probably have around 3-4mm of poke at all four corners. Judging by your pictures, I'm going to say your rear ET is right around 36, front ET is right around 16. Are these in the ballbark? Just trying to figure my own set of "summer" rims out now and want to nail things down.

Vossen has a few designs I like, but reading about experiences like yours certainly doesn't help their cause.
PM me.
I can get you the correct setup.

Don't be sour on the brand just because someone have bad experience.

It doesn't stop any of us keep on buying BMW just because one guy had bad experience with the brand.
Appreciate 2
pluckydks621.50
Miko M6648.50
      06-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Two hours for a spring install? Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:

Sorry for your issues with Vossen, but thanks for sharing. Love the almost Darth Vader look to your wife's ride.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieNuo View Post
Looks incredible! Have you considered powder coating the wheels?
I have always done black wheels on my cars, this time I thought I would do something different. I am going to keep them like this for a couple months, but may end up powder coating them black.
Appreciate 1
FrankieNuo1210.00
      06-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Vossen is the one that told me they would stick out of the wheel well a bit, thats why I went with their recommendation, I like that agressive offset. When they were mounted, even at stock ride height, thats not what I got.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #11
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

- 22x9.5 Front +21
- 22x11 Rear +12
- 35 Offset.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #12
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Yes, Ben had me in and out. He is very quick.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      06-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #13
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Wow, that's incredible. It was like an 8 hour install on my RS3.
Appreciate 5
FrankieNuo1210.00
AlexFL7833.00
r33_RGSport12805.00
dazzapb1045.50
      06-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
- 22x9.5 Front +21
- 22x11 Rear +12
- 35 Offset.
OK, ET21s on the 9.5 fronts shouldn't be too bad, but should actually be tucked inside the fender wells a bit (about 5mm). At stock height an ET19 should be about perfectly flush, so around ET16 should be flush when lowered.

On the rears, are they ET12s or ET35s? You wrote +12 but then offset 35 right beneath. ET12s would poke a good 20-23mm, which yours are clearly not. ET35s should sit about perfectly flush when lowered which yours look like they do.

I know you didn't get exactly what you wanted, but they do look very good as is. Don't powdercoat them black. You'll lose all the contrast you have and the wheels will just disappear. Why get nice looking wheels if you are just going to hide them?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #15
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, ET21s on the 9.5 fronts shouldn't be too bad, but should actually be tucked inside the fender wells a bit (about 5mm). At stock height an ET19 should be about perfectly flush, so around ET16 should be flush when lowered.

On the rears, are they ET12s or ET35s? You wrote +12 but then offset 35 right beneath. ET12s would poke a good 20-23mm, which yours are clearly not. ET35s should sit about perfectly flush when lowered which yours look like they do.

I know you didn't get exactly what you wanted, but they do look very good as is. Don't powdercoat them black. You'll lose all the contrast you have and the wheels will just disappear. Why get nice looking wheels if you are just going to hide them?

They are +12's. I am reading directly off the sticker on the inner barrel, Reads- 22x11 +12 35 offset
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was it 2 hours? I thought it was more, haha.
I've also done front and rear reflectors too.

I thought it was close to 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #17
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyNupe13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

Hey, do you have a guide for the front and rear spring procedures? I take it that you have a shortcut, like on the F80s 15-30 min job?

Trying to avoid an alignment and save time...I’d appreciate it. The manuals have steps like, undoing the axle (“do not let the carrier hang.”) and more. Maybe these new suspension parts get strained?? Idk.
All in my head unfortunately.
You'll have to hack me in the Matrix and download the information.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 11:12 PM   #18
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Nothing personal, just being brutally honest as I'm known to be. I think the 21s max out my estethtic bounds. 22s on this chassis looks overkill and exceeds my personal rim to rubber ratio. To each his own, and I'm sure many love this look. I don't knock that. I just prefer 21s on this car. Same holds for 20s... I've run them before and found them to be tall on the rubber side but a necessary evil on my winter M40i setup. Anyway, I couldn't imagine those 22s with factory suspension on this Maryland public asphalt. Between the obiquotuous police presence and horrid asphalt, I feel so limited here......
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #19
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

You pulled the car on the rack at 10:28. I left around 12:40. Very quick
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      06-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #20
crst4s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60

Quote:
They are +12's. I am reading directly off the sticker on the inner barrel, Reads- 22x11 +12 35 offset
I think that the +12 35 indicates a range of available offsets on these wheels. I have 22X10.5 +35 wheels with 295/30 tires, not lowered, which look to have a similar tuck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #21
bernpromos
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by crst4s View Post
I think that the +12 35 indicates a range of available offsets on these wheels. I have 22X10.5 +35 wheels with 295/30 tires, not lowered, which look to have a similar tuck.
Which exhaust is that?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #22
crst4s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernpromos View Post
Which exhaust is that?
Just the tips.