BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Tearing apart the cargo area - prerequisite parts to have on hand

2011 F25: I''ll be taking the side walls out of the cargo area in order to replace the shocks and springs and would like to know peoples experience with what parts break so I can have them on hand for the job before I start. Plastic parts, plastic pop rivets, etc. Also, if someone found any particular tools to be real time savers, what are they?

Thanks for any info on this topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I had my shop change the shocks and they did not take apart the rear cargo area...the X3 was on a lift and they worked from below.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Pretty sure you need to remove the L&R wheel arch trim panels to get to the fasteners on top of the strut caps. Probably held in with those plastic reusable pin rivets.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
I had my shop change the shocks and they did not take apart the rear cargo area...the X3 was on a lift and they worked from below.
There are three bolts that secure the shocks top mounting ring to the sheet metal (body) of the F25. Those are only accessible from the inside of the car thereby necessitating the partial removal of the interior cargo walls.

If you have an F25 and your shop did it without going into the cargo area, then I would very much like to understand how they did it pls.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
joshaguirre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive28i F25

Trim Kit and Torx set is a must
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
fredtr
Rep
Drives: X3 328XI

There is a floor panel just forward of the cover over the battery. Can someone tell me how to remove it. I removed the three fasteners, but can't figure out how to get the front of it out. The picture in the manuals have arrows pointing forward, but that makes no sense. Thank-you.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtr View Post
There is a floor panel just forward of the cover over the battery. Can someone tell me how to remove it. I removed the three fasteners, but can't figure out how to get the front of it out. The picture in the manuals have arrows pointing forward, but that makes no sense. Thank-you.
I'm not quite sure what cover you are referring to...do you have a picture of it? Otherwise, if its this one, you will need a plastic rivet pry tool or you can use a pair of side cutters if you are careful not to squeeze too hard as you do not want to actually cut them.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0