BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #23
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Interesting about the amp. I went to their website and it looks like they've already got replacement amps for other models, so would make sense they'd develop one for the X3/4 lines as well considering how popular they are.

Curious how the 'Revenant' specs of 1300 watt w/ 64bit DSP processor compares with the HK OEM amp? https://www.bavsound.com/pages/bmw-amplifier-upgrade

I would think changing the amp out should be an actual simple 'plug-n-play' given our amp's location (unlike the speakers and subs ). I'd considering changing not only my wife's but also mine, as reportedly it improves even the stock speaker experience?
They have been working on it for almost a year.
They told me that they need to figure out the new system where it have fiber optic going through the amp.

I have tried it on non HK G30 with stock speaker. It does improve the sound.
I also have it in my wife's X2, but can't compare it since it also have BavSound speakers in it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      05-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #24
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
They have been working on it for almost a year.
They told me that they need to figure out the new system where it have fiber optic going through the amp.

I have tried it on non HK G30 with stock speaker. It does improve the sound.
I also have it in my wife's X2, but can't compare it since it also have BavSound speakers in it.
G01/G02 users of non-HK systems report the amp makes a huge improvement and should be the first thing upgraded (prior to speakers). They said that upgrading the amp with the stock speakers is a better upgrade than just the speakers themselves.

That is TBD on how it will sound with the HK speakers or even the upgraded BAV speakers but I would hope it would be a huge improvement as the cost is likely not for the faint of heart. Meanwhile, you can get a quality aftermarket amp for a fraction of what these BMW specific aftermarket amps are/will go for.

The fiber optic seems to cause all kinds of upgrade issues. I hope Bavsound is able to work it out and put out an amp that is considerably better than the HK.

Ben - I'm assuming you will be the first to jump on that expensive grenade
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12805.00
Max Well4692.00
      05-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #25
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
G01/G02 users of non-HK systems report the amp makes a huge improvement and should be the first thing upgraded (prior to speakers). They said that upgrading the amp with the stock speakers is a better upgrade than just the speakers themselves.

That is TBD on how it will sound with the HK speakers or even the upgraded BAV speakers but I would hope it would be a huge improvement as the cost is likely not for the faint of heart. Meanwhile, you can get a quality aftermarket amp for a fraction of what these BMW specific aftermarket amps are/will go for.

The fiber optic seems to cause all kinds of upgrade issues. I hope Bavsound is able to work it out and put out an amp that is considerably better than the HK.

Ben - I'm assuming you will be the first to jump on that expensive grenade
Of course, I will take a hit for your guys.

But, AFAIK, BMW uses the same quality speakers just different Ohm-age on Base, HiFi and HK system.
The only difference is the Amp powering it.

I would say, stock speaker on HiFi with BavSound Amp is similar to stock HK with stock Amp.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4692.00
Ldb2511.50
      05-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #26
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Of course, I will take a hit for your guys.

But, AFAIK, BMW uses the same quality speakers just different Ohm-age on Base, HiFi and HK system.
The only difference is the Amp powering it.

I would say, stock speaker on HiFi with BavSound Amp is similar to stock HK with stock Amp.
You're a real trooper!

I seem to recall the HK speakers were of different design than the HiFi or Top HiFi in my time on the G01/02 forum but I could be wrong.

With amps the important thing is the quality of the signal. A 100w Pyle vs 100w JL Audio are worlds apart.

I just hope Bav comes out with it and it is an improvement in relation to the cost. Once I get my JL Audio amp and sub installed, I'm sure they will be overshadowing the HK amp/speakers.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      05-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #27
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Thanks for sharing r33_RGSport

If you hear any updates from BavSound let us know, as I would be up for two of them based on your (and spta97's) thoughts on how much difference these amps could potentially make for our sound systems. Especially since this should be an actual legitimately easy switch!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      06-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #28
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
According to rumor, and Bavsound's site, they are working on a replacement amp. I would imagine it would come in at $1k+.
Consider my interest piqued.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      07-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #29
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

r33_RGSport , spta97 - curious if you have any contacts at BavSound who can provide an update on the progress of their Revenant amp development for the F97/98, and a rough ETA to the market?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      07-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #30
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
r33_RGSport , spta97 - curious if you have any contacts at BavSound who can provide an update on the progress of their Revenant amp development for the F97/98, and a rough ETA to the market?
I do.
Last time I've heard it was about October time when they said should be soon.
But I haven't heard any update since.
I kind of stop bugging them since a lot of things got delayed because of COVID.
And besides, the plan was since 2018 or 2019 if I remember correctly.

Even Remus, since they announced it until I received confirmation that my stocking order will arrive, it took about 2 months.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      07-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #31
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I do.
Last time I've heard it was about October time when they said should be soon.
But I haven't heard any update since.
I kind of stop bugging them since a lot of things got delayed because of COVID.
And besides, the plan was since 2018 or 2019 if I remember correctly.

Even Remus, since they announced it until I received confirmation that my stocking order will arrive, it took about 2 months.
Thanks Ben - MaxWell - I do not have any contacts but looks like Ben gave us the bad news
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12805.00
Max Well4692.00
      07-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #32
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I do. Last time I've heard it was about October time when they said should be soon. But I haven't heard any update since. I kind of stop bugging them since a lot of things got delayed because of COVID. And besides, the plan was since 2018 or 2019 if I remember correctly. Even Remus, since they announced it until I received confirmation that my stocking order will arrive, it took about 2 months.
Quote:
Thanks Ben - MaxWell - I do not have any contacts but looks like Ben gave us the bad news
Thanks for the info, Ben. Please let us know when you hear any news and when orders can be placed, as we'll probably get two (anxious to hear the diff with my stock HK speakers).
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      07-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #33
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I do. Last time I've heard it was about October time when they said should be soon. But I haven't heard any update since. I kind of stop bugging them since a lot of things got delayed because of COVID. And besides, the plan was since 2018 or 2019 if I remember correctly. Even Remus, since they announced it until I received confirmation that my stocking order will arrive, it took about 2 months.
Quote:
Thanks for the info, Ben. Please let us know when you hear any news and when orders can be placed, as we'll probably get two (anxious to hear the diff with my stock HK speakers).
Will do.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      07-18-2020, 01:23 AM   #34
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
how would one go about retrieving the back side if it did fall into the door cavity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j080808 View Post
These are essentially 'single use' only parts and very frustrating. They are Expanding Nut 07147265039 and my dealer stocked them.

Mine became "stripped" when both trying to remove and install the screw last week, while installing my laminated acoustic glass. Just be thankful the back side didnt break and fall inside the door cavity (2 of my 4 did so) which requires removal of the inside door panel which requires removing (dis-engaging) the door glass. What should have been a 30 minute glass replacement turned into hours....

If you do have to remove a door panel, plan on replacing these parts. You will need to loosen the inside door panel by removing the torx screws and rotating the locking pins. You can wedge your fingers inside and pop the expanding nut out. Or, if you can get the screws out with the expanding nuts in place, dont reinstall the screws.

Offending fastener pic added. This should be one piece. The front (black side) faces the door panel, with the white piece sinking into the door. They separate/break easily, and/or spin inside the door.
Appreciate 0