BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2020, 06:32 PM   #23
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettethret View Post
-
- MSS Springs. I like to run my cars low, so Ben lowered mine 5 mm more than his. He can chime in, but my best guess would be that the car has been lowered a little less than 1.25". I would like to have it a little lower, but I'll have to wait for Coil overs. I can say, this car has VERY little suspension travel built into it. My Vettes/Vipers/Hellcats that have been lowered 2"+ with Motons/ Penskes/LG Coil overs have had much more travel, of course those are high end coil overs, these are just springs. As far as the ride. It’s not bad at all, but definitely a little choppy. You can feel it's had travel taken out of it. It’s nothing unbearable, but noticeable. As far as ride, since its choppier, its mitigated some of the softness of the springs in regard to ride quality.
Curious, is the choppiness due to the MSS springs or only because they are lowered?

I did lowering springs on a Maxima years ago and I absolutely hated that choppy/bouncy feeling.

I actually experienced this with my OEM suspension on Ocean Parkway (which runs along Jones Beach in NY). It is very unsettling; but I've only felt it on that particular road.

Ride looks great!
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #24
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Curious, is the choppiness due to the MSS springs or only because they are lowered?

I did lowering springs on a Maxima years ago and I absolutely hated that choppy/bouncy feeling.

I actually experienced this with my OEM suspension on Ocean Parkway (which runs along Jones Beach in NY). It is very unsettling; but I've only felt it on that particular road.

Ride looks great!
This is going to sound nuts to anyone who has experience with lowering springs, but the MSS Urban offering actually SOFTENS the ride..... Almost too much, which is highly subjective, but unfortunately necessary on this asphalt here in Maryland. I'm curious to hear feedback once their race version is available, but I still don't think I'd swap given the pot holes and uneven pavement surrounding me here.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12906.00
      06-14-2020, 09:51 PM   #25
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

Ride looks great!
Keep in mind that he asked to go 5mm lower than my regular setup that I've tested.
It took multiple adjustment and testing until I found the sweet spot.
I've mentioned to OP that he will hit the bump stop by going lower than my setup.
But he insisted to give it a try and re-adjust it again if it bothers him on the next visit for more mods.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #26
hxr
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Keep in mind that he asked to go 5mm lower than my regular setup that I've tested.
I've mentioned to OP that he will hit the bump stop by going lower than my setup.
But he insisted to give it a try and re-adjust it again if it bothers him on the next visit for more mods.
Ben also advised us on his setup and helped us during our install. We are also experiencing choppiness going lower and it's too bouncy when too low. Haven't had time to re-adjust to Ben's recommended settings but looking forward to it!

Thanks Ben for your help from the other side of the world.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12906.00
      06-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #27
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxr View Post
Quote:
Ben also advised us on his setup and helped us during our install. We are also experiencing choppiness going lower and it's too bouncy when too low. Haven't had time to re-adjust to Ben's recommended settings but looking forward to it!

Thanks Ben for your help from the other side of the world.
Glad I can help.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #28
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
This is going to sound nuts to anyone who has experience with lowering springs, but the MSS Urban offering actually SOFTENS the ride..... Almost too much, which is highly subjective, but unfortunately necessary on this asphalt here in Maryland. I'm curious to hear feedback once their race version is available, but I still don't think I'd swap given the pot holes and uneven pavement surrounding me here.
I believe it as that is what they are marketed as.

Perhaps I'm not understanding "choppy". When I lowered the previous vehicle it was bouncy. Like the travel of the springs was compressed so the up/down movement was much quicker/less smooth than OEM. Is this what is meant by choppy?

Basically, if a busty woman was sitting next to you, you would crash the car because you couldn't take your eyes off her due to the extreme jiggling
Appreciate 1
pluckydks621.50
      06-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #29
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X4M Comp

Quote:

Ride looks great!
The chopiness is only from lowering too much and losing suspension travel. It's not the springs. This applies to any car you lower. The chopiness isn't bad, you can tell there is limited suspension travel, but still rides nice enough. If it was bad, all you would need to do is raise the car aniother .25" and the problem would be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #30
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All true. I told Ben if the extra 5mm was an issue, we would raise it a bit when I came back for the pipes. I have no plans to raise it back up at this point, ride is still acceptable.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12906.00
      06-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #31
hamy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Great setup! Those 315s are making me wish I had gone a bit wider. Uncharted territory with a 285 and 315 combo. Early reports of 265s rubbing up front had me worried.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #32
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamy View Post
Great setup! Those 315s are making me wish I had gone a bit wider. Uncharted territory with a 285 and 315 combo. Early reports of 265s rubbing up front had me worried.
There's still a ton of room in the inner rear wheel well, I think a 325 could possibly fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #33
hamy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
There's still a ton of room in the inner rear wheel well, I think a 325 could possibly fit.
I might have to look into trying to make that setup fit. Problem is maintaining the right overall height with the front tires. How wide do you think the front would accept without rubbing the suspension? I thought 265 was the max given how close it seemed already. But clearly 285s are working.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #34
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

thats hot. Nicely done

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #35
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Nice stack of storage totes!🙌
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #36
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Looking great!

BTW you are really pushing the tire size and need to keep in mind to protect differential.

Ben is cool guy, sadly so far away
r33_RGSport12906.00
      06-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #37
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The car looks fantastic. Fantastic OC background makes it even more memorable. Nice!
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #38
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
-First off, big thanks to Ben at RG. For the spring install and reflectors, Ben had me in and out within 2 hours. I am waiting for his Mid Pipe/H Pipe and tune along with Carbon Fiber spoilers for the next round. I have my go to shop, thanks Ben.

- MSS Springs. I like to run my cars low, so Ben lowered mine 5 mm more than his. He can chime in, but my best guess would be that the car has been lowered a little less than 1.25". I would like to have it a little lower, but I'll have to wait for Coil overs. I can say, this car has VERY little suspension travel built into it. My Vettes/Vipers/Hellcats that have been lowered 2"+ with Motons/ Penskes/LG Coil overs have had much more travel, of course those are high end coil overs, these are just springs. As far as the ride. It’s not bad at all, but definitely a little choppy. You can feel it's had travel taken out of it. It’s nothing unbearable, but noticeable. As far as ride, since its choppier, its mitigated some of the softness of the springs in regard to ride quality. Overall, its softer, but does corner a little better because of the lowered center of gravity. I am probably one of the few that actually like the stiffness of the stock ride, but most guys here would probably dig this set up.

- Vossen Wheels- I went with 22x9.5 and 22x11. Tires are 285/30/22 and 315/30/22 Michelin PS4S. There is zero rubbing. As far as Vossen goes, where do I begin with these ass clowns. I have ordered multiple sets of wheels from I-forged, CCW, Triumph Forged, Fuel, Method, XD and Niche. Outside of my last set of wheels for my AMG, Vossen is the worst. First, they sent out the first set of wheels that were a completely different style than was ordered. Luckily my shop had the email for the order, so Vossen couldn’t squirm their way out of it. Then, they charge my shop shipping to send back the set they screwed up on. When I confronted them, no apology, no admission of their screw up. I asked for a rush on the new set, nothing doing. It will be 3-4 weeks was Jeremys response. When I ordered the wheels, I was told they would poke out a bit in back, and that running negative camber would tuck them back in. That was bullshi$ as well. The wheels are inboard/flush. I wanted an aggressive offset. These wheels weren’t my first choice, but this is the wife’s car, I didn’t want her curbing a set of expensive Signature wheels. I will rub my sack against a grinding wheel before I ever do business with Vossen again!!!!

Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out. Once I get the Mid/H pipe and tune, with Carbon Fiber spoilers, I'll love it even more. BMW did a hell of a job with this car, very impressive (No complaints from the wife either).
Glad to hear someone else had the same impression with these. That is, the lower COG offset the more compliant ride in the corners. It does strike a fair street balance.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12906.00
      06-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #39
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Looks great.
      06-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #40
Jaszm
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i

very clean!
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #41
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Mss settling

Anyone finding any appreciable settling post install- front or back?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #42
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDBMW View Post
Not really. I expected it to settle a little more, but it hasnt. Maybe 1/8".
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #43
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDBMW View Post
Not really. I expected it to settle a little more, but it hasnt. Maybe 1/8".
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 12:07 AM   #44
theoperator
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X4M Competition

Very nice set up. I'm going very similar with a different style Vossen. Thank you for posting and showing the fitment.
Appreciate 0