BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

X3 M40i vs X3 M for a daily driver

I'm usually in the M2 forums so I apologize if this topic has been done to death here. I'm in the market for an SUV and was initially looking to get a 2020 M40i as for 2020 they get ID7, the new professional cockpit, and a nice bump to 382 HP. Both of the dealers I have talked to are really pushing the X3 M on me as they are not moving fast in my part of the world. I'm not a baller like some people so the money matters but I am getting better discounts and financing numbers on the X3 M to the point where pricing is in the ballpark of a well equipped 2020 M40i.

I drive an M2 so obviously I can tolerate a harsher ride but I'm just wondering if some of you M owners feel the they are a little overkill for a daily driver as I believe the B58 has more of an ideal power curve for the street as opposed to the S58 which makes its power higher up on the tach. Also the lower tech is a bit of a bummer in a car of this price. I have only driven an M40i so far and I find it pretty decent for an SUV and the B58 is a great engine. Has anyone been able to spend quality time in both models? I saw the Joe Achilles video but I'm looking for more than just one opinion as I do like the idea of the X3 M but I just don't know if it will be worth the premium for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I'm usually in the M2 forums so I apologize if this topic has been done to death here. I'm in the market for an SUV and was initially looking to get a 2020 M40i as for 2020 they get ID7, the new professional cockpit, and a nice bump to 382 HP. Both of the dealers I have talked to are really pushing the X3 M on me as they are not moving fast in my part of the world. I'm not a baller like some people so the money matters but I am getting better discounts and financing numbers on the X3 M to the point where pricing is in the ballpark of a well equipped 2020 M40i.

I drive an M2 so obviously I can tolerate a harsher ride but I'm just wondering if some of you M owners feel the they are a little overkill for a daily driver as I believe the B58 has more of an ideal power curve for the street as opposed to the S58 which makes its power higher up on the tach. Also the lower tech is a bit of a bummer in a car of this price. I have only driven an M40i so far and I find it pretty decent for an SUV and the B58 is a great engine. Has anyone been able to spend quality time in both models? I saw the Joe Achilles video but I'm looking for more than just one opinion as I do like the idea of the X3 M but I just don't know if it will be worth the premium for me.
We own the G01 X3M40i (had 2018, now have 2019 - 20,000 miles + experience in them) and now also the F97 X3MC (~4,500 miles in). If you've owned M you already know the marked difference in handling (even forgetting the performance differences) between the M and the 'M Performance' models. If that handling difference isn't important to you, then yeah, the G01 is a great SAV and certainly has the power to get you where you need to go, and then some.

But it isn't an M. Personally I would find it difficult to drop back down to the M Performance line after now being spoiled by our X3MC, but to each their own - a personal decision only you can make. But I will say I don't understand the concept of a 'Daily Driver' (although many on the Forum use it repeatedly). Even in my routine 'daily driving' I look forward to the drive, whether I'm going 70mph+ or just 45 on winding country roads. IMO it sells the X3MC short trying to pigeonhole it into 'Daily' or a 'Weekend' descriptives when it is so capable in the whole spectrum of activities one may encounter.

And some of us are actually glad we didn't get iD7, as iD6 is a great time-tested interface which maintains the more analog-appearing instrument cluster which many of us prefer, and it provides most features many of us require.

Again, though, you're the one who has to be happy with the choice so follow your instincts - you really can't go wrong with either. Good luck.
Appreciate 4
heavyD^23688.50
ando2000.50
FSociety3812.50
      12-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
SWOT1
The Hammock Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC, X3 M40i, E93 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post

And some of us are actually glad we didn't get iD7, as iD6 is a great time-tested interface which maintains the more analog-appearing instrument cluster which many of us prefer, and it provides most features many of us require.
Agree!! I prefer both the "analog" gauges and ID6 in the current iteration.

- '20 X3MC | Alpine White | Black Alcantara/Midrand Beige | loaded | 295/265 PS4S
- '09 E93 M3 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige Novillo | DCT | loaded | Chrome M220 Wheels - 275/255 PSS
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

love the doug demuro profile pic.... lol..
no experience of an m40i vs x3m aside from a test drive of the m40i.

i love the ride of my x3m...my wife is slowly getting used to it (coming from an x5)
i feel connected to the road.. and at first it was harsh being its my first m car... but im used to it now and love it!
Appreciate 2
heavyD^23688.50
Wills28654.50
      12-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
drmalmgren
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe, 328it, OG M2, X3M C

I have an M2 with MPSS and an X3MC. Even in Sport+ on the X3, the ride is not as harsh. Given that, I don't understand why speed bumps in the X3 are so much more dramatic. The rear slams down hard in all modes. I find the X3 is plenty fast and responsive enough for the street. As far as tech goes, I also prefer the analog looking gauge cluster, but that's a personal opinion.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50
      12-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I feel like Joe is comparing the car to other SUVs rather than other M / Sports cars. It's an SUV shaped M car and has all the M car traits. If you go into it expecting SUV cushy comfort then it's not for you, but if you go into it looking for a more spacious M car that can carry your family of taller teens then it's exactly what you expect. Frankly, the too hard comments are unfair unless those same criticisms are levelled at the rest of the M family and hot hatches in general.

It's a big oversized super hot hatch. If that's what you are after, it's perfect. Mine lives in Comfort suspension 80% of the time because that's a nice balance between squish and sport. It goes into Sport suspension with Sport Plus engine and manual gears when I want some fun. Sport Plus suspension seems geared for the track.

And yes, of course it’s my daily driver.

It gets up into the Rev zone for power alarmingly fast, especially if you run in manual when you plan to push it, and therefore are deliberately choosing the right gear. There will be a tiny bit of lag off the line if you don’t use launch control while the revs spin up, but even then it’s seriously fast. Unless you plan to race every boy racer off at the lights, getting into the power zone is not an issue. The M gearbox is awesome in manual mode too - much nicer than the regular gearbox.

Last edited by Zero71; 12-09-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
heavyD^23688.50
      12-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Hope my perspective helps.

I ordered a M40i in Oct to replace my current BMW lease which is due end of this month. I had the same thought on the M40i vs the M since it's my daily car. But at the same time I intentionally did not want to test-drive the M thinking I'd want it for the additional power. Let's face it, HP is addicting. I knew the ride would be harsher on the M. The seat is less comfortable than the M40i for daily use. Yes, the tech is older. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the front look of the M40i particularly the lower bumper/fog light design. My M40i is pretty loaded at close to 72k. Payment roughly be about about $770.00 monthly. The M40i arrived dealer last week. I could not hold my curious mind & asked if I can take the M Competition for a spin. The rest just took a turn as predicted...

In theory or on paper, newer tech, ID7 & full digital display mainly in this case, should always be better since I'll be stuck with it for the next 3 years. Human natural is we don't want something to be dated when buying new. Quite frankly I prefer the M older display more. Easier to read & less complicated. Same goes for the ID7, mainly because I seem to prefer the older layout because I'm used to. Now I'm sure I'll need sometime to get used to the new ID7 & digital display so def not to say anything bad about the newer upgrade. I just want to say the older version in the M did not bother me nor it felt dated in any way.

From the performance & handling perspective, the comparison between the two is the M40i is just buttery smooth on all aspects. Power delivery, sound from the motor, the ride quality (had ordered the 21" wheels). Seat bolster is flat. easy to get in & out. All in all it's just a perfect daily car that can be fun. Also on paper, the B58 consumption seems to be much efficient than the S58. We'll see how thirsty it is on the S58. I didn't notice much torque difference on the down low between the two but did notice the M shift pattern is much more aggressive than the M40i to keep the motor in the more optimized power band. and yes, it loves to be revved, and it sounds much better than the M40i imo. Ride is much firmer but not harsh. You do have much more vibration coming from the steering wheel and you feel the road much more than the M40i. You're coming from a M2 so you know what I mean. I also had a M2 before so the M character is def there.

My dealer was cool enough to let me take both cars out by myself without sales people so I can really appreciate the difference between the two. At the end I made the jump. The thought process was simply for about $200 difference in monthly payment I can justify & appreciate the M difference. On the other hand, I do have to say the M40i is a great car for the value. You can't go wrong with either one, just need to be real about what you are going to use them for.
Appreciate 2
heavyD^23688.50
2una1.50
      12-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I just did 420 mile trip in mine today 9 hours at the wheel it's fantastic and a great daily, if you like M cars that is as this feels as M as any I've had.

It's an event to get in and drive and makes the daily grind that much more enjoyable, if the price isn't that much different why settle for less?
      12-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I have no horse in this race but if I were in your shoes I'd go for the M40i. The X3M is a killer SAV but you already have an M2. I think having a non-M daily will make you appreciate the M2 in a different way and keep things fresh when you jump back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
I have no horse in this race but if I were in your shoes I'd go for the M40i. The X3M is a killer SAV but you already have an M2. I think having a non-M daily will make you appreciate the M2 in a different way and keep things fresh when you jump back and forth.
Doesn’t make sense. It’s like saying get a Kia Niro and you will appreciate your M2 even more 😂
Appreciate 2
Wills28654.50
      12-10-2019, 12:51 AM   #11
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post

Looks like you are from Calgary too. I sold the M4 about 6 months ago and I ordered X3M Comp for delivery in Feb/March.

I was considering the X5 40i but then my long time sales rep called me and said BMW dropped the rates on the X3M, upon further discussion it turned out the X3M would cost less than the loaded 40i (I was going to order one with the excellence pkg). It was a no brainer for me because it is a M car.

What kind of deal are they offering you? I deal with BMW Gallery and they were also trying to get me into one of their in stock cars but it wasn't something that I wanted (color, specs).
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50
      12-10-2019, 01:08 AM   #12
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

if you keep the M2, then id also be thinking m40i.

But the price is so close between the X3M and the m40i that i couldnt resist the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:46 AM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Doesn’t make sense. It’s like saying get a Kia Niro and you will appreciate your M2 even more 😂
Even better get the bus or walk.....
      12-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #14
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

If you are content with the M40i hen I would just go that direction. As you mentioned, it will be less expensive and has plenty of power and features for a daily driver. The M is for those that MUST have an M car.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #15
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Thanks for all the responses fellas. I'm still working on things and it's one of those things where if the price difference between an M40i and X3M is small then I would forever be kicking myself wondering what could have been. I will plug away and see what happens and hopefully I will be joining you all as part of the community.
Appreciate 3
Wills28654.50
Max Well4722.00
      12-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #16
Schooey
Private
Rep
Drives: Prev X3M,F15 M50d 335dT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I just did 420 mile trip in mine today 9 hours at the wheel it's fantastic and a great daily, if you like M cars that is as this feels as M as any I've had.

It's an event to get in and drive and makes the daily grind that much more enjoyable, if the price isn't that much different why settle for less?
That’s what you need in a car, something that feels special when you get in it. Who doesn’t like a proper road trip?! I take my M50d on a trip this weekend, around 800 miles in total, then the following weekend I get to do it in my X3M. Really looking forward to it, how was your fuel consumption for the trip? (Sorry more curious than concerned, I need a benchmark for next week!)
Appreciate 1
Wills28654.50
      12-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooey View Post
That’s what you need in a car, something that feels special when you get in it. Who doesn’t like a proper road trip?! I take my M50d on a trip this weekend, around 800 miles in total, then the following weekend I get to do it in my X3M. Really looking forward to it, how was your fuel consumption for the trip? (Sorry more curious than concerned, I need a benchmark for next week!)
Well it had only done 165 miles before the 420 mile trip so it's tight and not run in, I managed 28mpg on the southward 210 mile section, flowing with the traffic and cruising at 60-75mph (weather was bad and the hour was early) On the way back up I pressed on a little more 80-90mph with multiple blasts from 60-90 to enjoy the motor a bit and did 25mpg, overall after 600 miles its now averaged 23.5mpg, I expect that to improve as the engine loosens up.
      12-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #18
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooey View Post
On my recent 950 mile round trip, cruise at 79mph (with multiple short runs higher along the way, esp through Atlanta) - 21.8 mpg.

And kudos to those who have to put up with major city highways and their congestion, traffic standstills with accidents, ..., day in and day out.
Appreciate 1
Schooey37.00
      12-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #19
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Well it had only done 165 miles before the 420 mile trip so it's tight and not run in, I managed 28mpg on the southward 210 mile section, flowing with the traffic and cruising at 60-75mph (weather was bad and the hour was early) On the way back up I pressed on a little more 80-90mph with multiple blasts from 60-90 to enjoy the motor a bit and did 25mpg, overall after 600 miles its now averaged 23.5mpg, I expect that to improve as the engine loosens up.
Pretty similar to me too.

115 miles from Nottingham to Manchester - all motorway, cruise control at 70mph and I got 27.8mpg from cold start to finish in a city centre. One the way back, went much faster and got 22mpg. My overall is 21.1mpg.

This car will only exceed 30mpg average downhill at 50mph

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #20
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Seeing that u have an M2 you really will be incredibly happy with the x3M40i engine output and ZF 8 speed combo. I have an 07 z4m coupe so know what a smaller car can do in the right hands and Ive been extremely pleased as a new owner . Ride is excellent, brakes are excellent, steering and handling great. The M40i seats with adjustable bolsters are comfortable and firm.The exhaust noise is a hoot in sport and sport plus modes. U really dont need to spend the extra coin for the X3MC. Drive one and see. Cheers.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50
      12-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #21
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Quote:
Pretty similar to me too.

115 miles from Nottingham to Manchester - all motorway, cruise control at 70mph and I got 27.8mpg from cold start to finish in a city centre. One the way back, went much faster and got 22mpg. My overall is 21.1mpg.

This car will only exceed 30mpg average downhill at 50mph
The MPG for UK is different than US, correct? In US terms, 21 mpg is very good for this car
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #22
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
The MPG for UK is different than US, correct? In US terms, 21 mpg is very good for this car
yes, your gallon is smaller than ours......not everything in the states is bigger
Appreciate 2
Wills28654.50
moff1362.50