BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #23
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestr View Post

Having experience in both, if I was to rate both on scale from 1-10, C-class burmeister would be an 8 and the HK would be a 5...
It's funny, I would rate each system completely opposite from you.
Everyone's hearing is different.
But to date, the HK standard system in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit is better than many high end audio systems I have owned. Next to it would be the Lexus Mark Levinson and earlier the Nakamichi systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #24
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
It's funny, I would rate each system completely opposite from you.
Everyone's hearing is different.
But to date, the HK standard system in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit is better than many high end audio systems I have owned. Next to it would be the Lexus Mark Levinson and earlier the Nakamichi systems.
I get that some parts of the listening experience are subjective - no argument there.

One thing that is not subjective is distortion. Either it distorts/rattles/clips or it doesn't. The HK system distorts over medium volumes whereas the Burmeister does not. That in itself is not subjective and not based on taste. I don't know anyone that prefers distortion over no distortion.

Also, branding means nothing in different vehicles. The HK system in the Jeep may be great but the X3's is definitely not. There are dedicated threads on this forum discussing this as well. Harman Kardon provides the speakers and the licensing to use their name - I doubt they do any more than that. The speakers themselves only play a small part - it's the source quality, audio processing, equalization and amplification that make a system sound great. A system is only as good as its weakest link and something tells me that the weakest link in the X3 is not the speakers but the amp and processing.

Example: My HP Spectre x360 laptop has a "Bang & Olufsen" sound system and so does my ASUS 27 inch monitor (built in sound). Both sound like absolute garbage tin cans. Yet, listen to a real B&O reference system or a B&O system in an Audi or X5/5 series+ BMW and you will notice that it sounds awesome. Branding means nothing - it's a sales gimmick that comes with licensing fees.
Appreciate 1
XXX3154.50
      12-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #25
mmmmm40i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Interesting comments! I actually didn't check out the MB dealership before getting my X3. Kind of wish I had now but it's too late and honestly I'm quite happy with my decision!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #26
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

I honestly prefer the rear of the GLC. X3 better front end but the GLC63 with the pan americana grill looks savage. Interior wise I dont like the stuck on ipad to the dash look of either but GLC seems more refined vs X3 utilitarian.

If i had £70k I would have the GLC63s in a heartbeat for that aggressive look and that V8 soundtrack.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #27
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
I honestly prefer the rear of the GLC. X3 better front end but the GLC63 with the pan americana grill looks savage. Interior wise I dont like the stuck on ipad to the dash look of either but GLC seems more refined vs X3 utilitarian.

If i had £70k I would have the GLC63s in a heartbeat for that aggressive look and that V8 soundtrack.
Yes but the GLC63 would compete with the upcoming X3M. The GLC43 is the direct competitor, which does not have the Panamericana grill and the 63-level body bulges.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #28
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post

Funny how we all like different things. I came from a GLE AMG 63s to the M40. We actually looked at the GLC for my wife but we both hated the back of it.

The M40 has better tech than my GLE but the seats suck, actually kill my back within 20 minutes of driving it, the interior is way more plastic and cheap looking, stereo sounds about equal to me.

I love the size and performance of my "tuned" M40, it is faster in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile thaN my AMG. I just wish the interior was more refined and there wasn't so much road/wind noise in the cabin.

I know I am comparing a $120,000 care to a $65,000 one but just better seats would have made it so much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #29
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

x3m40i is much better than GLC class except.....seats.
In GLC you can opt for designo package and at least you have option to have good seats with nice quality leather with good ventilation.
x3m40i (in USA) has very cheap leather and if you select vent seats its getting worse because seats are have no side support.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #30
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
x3m40i is much better than GLC class except.....seats.
In GLC you can opt for designo package and at least you have option to have good seats with nice quality leather with good ventilation.
x3m40i (in USA) has very cheap leather and if you select vent seats its getting worse because seats are have no side support.
Agree on the leather quality, but if you opt for individual leather in the X3 i'd say that's better than the designo.
And the BMW seats don't give me backache, the Merc ones do after an hour - which kinda negates the leather quality and/or ventilation. The Merc seats just don't give me the right support (though of course we're all different).
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I've always had a pretty good opinion of HK before. Always thought they sounded pretty good. Better than stock anyways. Whether it was just computer/home speakers or car audio systems.

But the one in the X3 is rubbish. No idea about HK system in other BMWs, but the one in the X3 is just bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #32
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
I've always had a pretty good opinion of HK before. Always thought they sounded pretty good. Better than stock anyways. Whether it was just computer/home speakers or car audio systems.

But the one in the X3 is rubbish. No idea about HK system in other BMWs, but the one in the X3 is just bad.
I thought the same about the optional HK system in my 2010 M3 Coupe and in my current X3 M40i. After about a thousand miles, both vehicles did improve a lot.
Appreciate 0