BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #23
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I just wish Android Auto was an option. . .
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #24
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Sure. I get a drop down message that hangs out for ~30 seconds, and when that goes away there's a red indicator on the CarPlay messages app icon to indicate there are new messages (same as on the iPhone). This is in the left side bar, you don't have to go to the home screen to see it. The screen is literally right in front of my face, so I don't often not see the drop down.

I don't mind not having the music mute and a chime every single time I get a message while driving. It stresses me out to try to maintain a conversation that way. I much prefer to see the indicator and have the messages read to me when I'm cruising or not in the middle of a good song.
For me all that would be fine IF the rest of the iDrive system was still available (like Nav). CarPlay is either all or nothing. And the fact that I cannot use Wifi to stream music or for data and instead have to connect to LTE and use my data is just a bad implementation.
Wrong. You can search for a destination in CarPlay then send it to iDrive nav. Also, the BMW icon on the first CP menu allows access iDrive functionality.

Until iOS 12 lets Waze replace Maps in CP, this is how I use the nav system. There's a YT video from BMW "Genius" on exactly this topic. I think it's in the X3 owners playlist.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Wrong. You can search for a destination in CarPlay then send it to iDrive nav. Also, the BMW icon on the first CP menu allows access iDrive functionality.

Until iOS 12 lets Waze replace Maps in CP, this is how I use the nav system. There's a YT video from BMW "Genius" on exactly this topic. I think it's in the X3 owners playlist.
Well, for me when I am in the BMW nav, nothing happens in CarPlay. When I am in CarPlay i cannot access Nav or other iDrive. Like I said, I may be missing something but the essence seems to be you are either using CarPlay for everything or not. I'll keep playing with it though since it seems I am missing something
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #26
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Well, for me when I am in the BMW nav, nothing happens in CarPlay. When I am in CarPlay i cannot access Nav or other iDrive. Like I said, I may be missing something but the essence seems to be you are either using CarPlay for everything or not. I'll keep playing with it though since it seems I am missing something
When you're connected to CarPlay, everything sort of defaults to CarPlay. But you can still back out and use iDrive nav or radios at least. Maybe not iDrive phone calls or texts.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #27
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
See below and https://youtu.be/8wzD9Fk8SfU

CarPlay and iDrive integration is remarkably well done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Lux700551.00
shoneb0.00
      09-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #28
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
See below and https://youtu.be/8wzD9Fk8SfU

CarPlay and iDrive integration is remarkably well done.
I make use of this feature a lot, but I do it a little differently. Once you’ve got the CarPlay screen up, you can use the Maps app on your iPhone directly to do the search, and the CarPlay screen updates in real time. Then I tap the “Send to BMW Nav” link. I like doing it this way because I can type so much faster on my phone, and I can copy/paste an address in if need be, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #29
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage View Post
I make use of this feature a lot, but I do it a little differently. Once you’ve got the CarPlay screen up, you can use the Maps app on your iPhone directly to do the search, and the CarPlay screen updates in real time. Then I tap the “Send to BMW Nav” link. I like doing it this way because I can type so much faster on my phone, and I can copy/paste an address in if need be, etc.
Good technique -- but it looks like some posters haven't figured out that iDrive nav and CP play together brilliantly.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #30
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good technique -- but it looks like some posters haven't figured out that iDrive nav and CP play together brilliantly.
While it may send it to iDrive Nav, once in iDrive Nav, CarPlay does not work (at least notification and texts). I would hope the music still plays. I do not call that playing together brilliantly. If that were the case, I can send an address from google maps on my computer to BMW iDrive. Does that mean my computer plays together brilliantly with my BMW?

While one may send data to the other, they cannot both function at the same time. Not to mention the data all has to come from the Cellular connection and not the Wifi....

Again, to each their own. Some may have more of a use for CarPlay, I do not find it offers anything that iDrive does not (at least for me). I was hoping there would be some revelation about CarPlay that I was not seeing beyond it can send an address to iDrive....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #31
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
What's wrong with the messaging? It reads and I dictate to it all the time. I get a notification, it reads, asks if I want to respond, reads what it plans to send, or I can initiate.
You can't read messages - even when you are parked. You can't go through your older messages easily - which is useful if you've received a bunch and haven't responded to them yet. I don't need it to be dictated to me all the time - I can choose when to dictate to me with Android integration. Also, I get a persistent notification - a little message bubble on the instrument cluster and one next to the clock on the iDrive screen. God forbid I miss the drop down notification, but I guess I can look for the badge number on the icon. It's just not very flexible.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #32
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
While it may send it to iDrive Nav, once in iDrive Nav, CarPlay does not work (at least notification and texts). I would hope the music still plays. I do not call that playing together brilliantly. If that were the case, I can send an address from google maps on my computer to BMW iDrive. Does that mean my computer plays together brilliantly with my BMW?

While one may send data to the other, they cannot both function at the same time. Not to mention the data all has to come from the Cellular connection and not the Wifi....

Again, to each their own. Some may have more of a use for CarPlay, I do not find it offers anything that iDrive does not (at least for me). I was hoping there would be some revelation about CarPlay that I was not seeing beyond it can send an address to iDrive....
Sheesh...ever heard of split screen?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #33
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You can't do split screen with CarPlay. (According to BMW). But since you insist I will give it another go next time I am in.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #34
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You can't do split screen with CarPlay. (According to BMW). But since you insist I will give it another go next time I am in.
It's kind of the opposite. Can only do split screen. Annoyingly CarPlay will only use the left of a split screen. No full screen. That's one of the worst parts of BMW's CarPlay integration.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #35
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradecraft View Post
It's kind of the opposite. Can only do split screen. Annoyingly CarPlay will only use the left of a split screen. No full screen. That's one of the worst parts of BMW's CarPlay integration.
How do you get iDrive nav or XM on the right of the split screen as suggested?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #36
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
How do you get iDrive nav or XM on the right of the split screen as suggested?
With CarPlay (or anything) on the left, you right click the iDrive controller to select the right screen. Click the controller and the list of choices for the right side appear. And just select one.
Appreciate 1
Starz2690.00
      09-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #37
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
With CarPlay (or anything) on the left, you right click the iDrive controller to select the right screen. Click the controller and the list of choices for the right side appear. And just select one.
Thanks for that. I did not even try it as the BMW video's I saw explaining CarPlay specifically stated Split screen does not work when using CarPlay.

This might make it more useful. I will have to gove it a run through on the next few drives. However, the inability to connect to the car's hotspot may be the ultimate deal breaker for me...I am in the car A lot and do not have an unlimited data plan on my cell due to well priced grandfathered plans...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #38
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for that. I did not even try it as the BMW video's I saw explaining CarPlay specifically stated Split screen does not work when using CarPlay.

This might make it more useful. I will have to gove it a run through on the next few drives. However, the inability to connect to the car's hotspot may be the ultimate deal breaker for me...I am in the car A lot and do not have an unlimited data plan on my cell due to well priced grandfathered plans...
Anybody know why we can't use cable connection for car play as an alternative? Would enable Wifi via hotspot...

On the other hand I am one of the lucky ones with a true unlimited data plan, so I don't care that much. :-)
      09-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #39
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

I'm not impressed with CarPlay. When I use Shazam while using CarPlay, the voice command goes crazy...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #40
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Anybody know why we can't use cable connection for car play as an alternative? Would enable Wifi via hotspot...

On the other hand I am one of the lucky ones with a true unlimited data plan, so I don't care that much. :-)
Given the choice, I love wireless CarPlay over wired. It was one of the big pluses for choosing a BMW. But I'd love to have both as options. I get a tiny audio delay wireless which is annoying watching videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel.yoo View Post
I'm not impressed with CarPlay. When I use Shazam while using CarPlay, the voice command goes crazy...
You ask Siri via the car what song is playing on your car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #41
Yobyot
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Adding Starz26 to ignore list. Wouldn't put up with such negativity IRL; no need to waste my screen time on it here.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #42
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Adding Starz26 to ignore list. Wouldn't put up with such negativity IRL; no need to waste my screen time on it here.
Wow nice. I was not being negative, I was agreeing that since you said it was possible I would give it another go.

I did try it and split screen does work so that makes it a bit more useful.

if anything you were the one being a bit rude.

For reference, at 0:52-1:04 is where BMW Genius says that Split Screen is limited or unavailable.

Last edited by Starz26; 09-08-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
deladude266.00
      09-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #43
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Given the choice, I love wireless CarPlay over wired. It was one of the big pluses for choosing a BMW. But I'd love to have both as options. I get a tiny audio delay wireless which is annoying watching videos.
I haven't really tried digging too far into the iDrive stuff yet so I'm not going to compare CarPlay and iDrive, but I'm with you that wireless CarPlay has been much better than wired...at least as I compare the experience from my BMW to my Audi.

The Lightning connection in the wired CarPlay in my Audi only works on its first try, like, 60% of the time. I will usually have to unplug and re-plug the cable after driving for a few seconds and making sure the infotainment isn't doing other stuff (i.e. backup cam). That usually fixes it. But I'd say a good 5-10% of the time, I have to reboot the infotainment altogether and try again.

That's too much hassle. I thought the problem was CarPlay because it DID improve a lot when I moved from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone X...but all those %s I'm listing above are for AFTER I got the newer phone.

Once I started using the BMW's CarPlay system, it's like night and day. But I agree...I'm nitpicky about not wanting the songs to delay when I change them, etc., and you get that with the wireless - but I'll trade the reliability for that any day of the week.

And I'm sure watching videos is horrible, but that's really true of a lot of (or all?) Bluetooth stuff. I don't personally have a need for it - but if it's a feature that is on the car, you want it to work if you want it to use it.

All that is to say - I bet my Audi's CarPlay sucks because of Audi's implementation, not because it's wired. And so it would be nice if I could plug in to get charged, eliminate the delay, and likely pump higher quality audio since it doesn't have to be compressed over Bluetooth (I'm assuming that's what happens?...not sure what the "enhanced" Bluetooth really does).
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #44
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

For me, CarPlay has been a positive experience overall. The ease of using Spotify versus via BT is my main use case, and the wireless implementation in the BMW is pretty error-free. The big letdown is really just Apple Maps being unreliable, but with iOS 12 opening that up to Google Maps and Waze, I don't think I will ever use the BMW navigation again. The lack of HUD integration doesn't really bother me, fortunately.

Also, the really big benefit to CarPlay is that as iPhone/CarPlay apps get updated, so does the functionality in the infotainment system, which would otherwise never be significantly improved past the purchase date. It basically turns your iDrive screen into a touchscreen monitor where you can plug in new hardware/software in the future.
Appreciate 1