BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

What is all the fuss about Apple CarPlay

I find it extremely un-useful....

1. No sounds when a text or notification arrives - Yes iPhone is set to alert and display.
2. No notifications at all unless CarPlay is displayed. So if navigating and the MAP is displayed its like CarPlay is useless
3. Cannot connect to Wifi and CarPlay at the same time.

Seems it is only useful if you always have it open and are looking at the screen instead of the road.

Via BMW Connect you can still make calls, play music, apps, etc. Only thing you are missing is text alerts. And you can connect to Wifi and use it all while other apps are open like nav.

I am wanting to like it but I just cannot seem to find the utility...

Please enlighten me as to what the draw is.
Appreciate 4
Scottatah139.00
OJ MINI66.00
X3power10.00
JoshV14.50
      09-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Yeah, if you don't like using CarPlay's maps, music, etc then you won't see the CarPlay notifications or anything else. Otherwise you will see pop ups when you are free to look at the screen (and that's key, as opposed to distracting you with a billion text alerts).

Personally I think the music and apps are a little better than the default BMW. There is no HUD direction integration, but on the other hand I really like my watch navigation integration where it taps me when it is time to turn or pay attention so that's a wash to me. I tend to tune out or miss the first few words of the Nav so the wrist tap before the instruction comes is surprisingly helpful.

Overall I really didn't see what the big deal as until I hopped into a rental car, plugged in my phone, and suddenly the infotainment was just like what I'm used to. Maybe you prefer iDrive and will only ever drive BMWs. Maybe Audi MMI is genuinely better, or whatever. However I think there's a lot of value in getting used to a system and having it be consistent across cars, rather than each manufacturer inventing their own and most getting it wrong.
Appreciate 2
Starz2690.00
X3power10.00
      09-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Yeah, if you don't like using CarPlay's maps, music, etc then you won't see the CarPlay notifications or anything else. Otherwise you will see pop ups when you are free to look at the screen (and that's key, as opposed to distracting you with a billion text alerts).

Personally I think the music and apps are a little better than the default BMW. There is no HUD direction integration, but on the other hand I really like my watch navigation integration where it taps me when it is time to turn or pay attention so that's a wash to me.

Overall I really didn't see what the big deal as until I hopped into a rental car, plugged in my phone, and suddenly the infotainment was just like what I'm used to. Maybe you prefer iDrive and will only ever drive BMWs. Maybe Audi MMI is genuinely better, or whatever. However I think there's a lot of value in getting used to a system and having it be consistent across cars, rather than each manufacturer inventing their own and most getting it wrong.
Makes a bit more sense now. I will have to try and see if I can force myself to use it so I can give it a fair shake but seems with the annual subscription it is one of those things that will not be worth it to me. Its not the cost, rather the perceived value for me.

Speaking of worthless subscriptions, I will say I am glad to be rid of OnStar......
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Quote:

Personally I think the music and apps are a little better than the default BMW. There is no HUD direction integration, but on the other hand I really like my watch navigation integration where it taps me when it is time to turn or pay attention so that's a wash to me.

Makes a bit more sense now. I will have to try and see if I can force myself to use it so I can give it a fair shake but seems with the annual subscription it is one of those things that will not be worth it to me. Its not the cost, rather the perceived value for me.

Speaking of worthless subscriptions, I will say I am glad to be rid of OnStar......
I agree the subscription thing is ridiculous. Maybe it is better than paying up front if it gives you the chance to try it, but either way it's expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

CarPlay is great in my wife's Honda because the factory infotainment system is abysmal. And I can say the same thing about many other car makes. CarPlay is an improvement over what many carmakers ship.

BMW actually has a pretty good infotainment system, and I have always felt CarPlay wasn't needed, or was a wash at best, with pluses and minuses that sort of balance out.

I haven't even bothered with CarPlay since I got my X3.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I gave Carplay in the BMW a fair try but for me the BMW system is excellent and a long press of the microphone on the steering wheel still gives me Siri to send a message.
Appreciate 2
Starz2690.00
shoptb176.00
      09-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Streaming music works really well with CarPlay and I'm an Android guy. Without it, using Spotify, iHeart Radio, Pandora with your Android phone via bluetooth is so iffy... eventually the apps don't load and you are fiddling with your phone... I don't use CarPlay for really anything else but music, though. Apple Music, Google Music, Spotify, MelOn..

I recall someone saying that Waze and Google Maps will soon be available through CarPlay, and I can see myself maybe using Waze again.

The text messaging function is abysmal. On Android, you are able to read, write, dictate, and get alerts. Not sure why it's so gimped on the iPhone. You can't even read text messages with the iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #8
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
Streaming music works really well with CarPlay and I'm an Android guy. Without it, using Spotify, iHeart Radio, Pandora with your Android phone via bluetooth is so iffy... eventually the apps don't load and you are fiddling with your phone... I don't use CarPlay for really anything else but music, though. Apple Music, Google Music, Spotify, MelOn..

I recall someone saying that Waze and Google Maps will soon be available through CarPlay, and I can see myself maybe using Waze again.

The text messaging function is abysmal. On Android, you are able to read, write, dictate, and get alerts. Not sure why it's so gimped on the iPhone. You can't even read text messages with the iPhone.
What's wrong with the messaging? It reads and I dictate to it all the time. I get a notification, it reads, asks if I want to respond, reads what it plans to send, or I can initiate.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
What's wrong with the messaging? It reads and I dictate to it all the time. I get a notification, it reads, asks if I want to respond, reads what it plans to send, or I can initiate.
Can you define, in excruciating detail, exactly what happens when you "get a notification"? Because for many of us, the only "notification" we receive for a message is when the text message banner appears on the top of the iDrive main screen, briefly for about 3 seconds. You'd have to be not looking at the road at that exact time, look at the screen, to even know you have a message.
Appreciate 1
Starz2690.00
      09-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #10
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Carplay feels incomplete and unpolished, I tried it for a day when I got the car and never again. It would be fine on a base model runabout if there was no other choice, but compared to the iDrive it's useless.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #11
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage View Post
Quote:
Can you define, in excruciating detail, exactly what happens when you "get a notification"? Because for many of us, the only "notification" we receive for a message is when the text message banner appears on the top of the iDrive main screen, briefly for about 3 seconds. You'd have to be not looking at the road at that exact time, look at the screen, to even know you have a message.
Sure. I get a drop down message that hangs out for ~30 seconds, and when that goes away there's a red indicator on the CarPlay messages app icon to indicate there are new messages (same as on the iPhone). This is in the left side bar, you don't have to go to the home screen to see it. The screen is literally right in front of my face, so I don't often not see the drop down.

I don't mind not having the music mute and a chime every single time I get a message while driving. It stresses me out to try to maintain a conversation that way. I much prefer to see the indicator and have the messages read to me when I'm cruising or not in the middle of a good song.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
You may not be aware, but there was also a lawsuit a few years ago against Apple for distracted driving. I think it was frivolous but it happened all the same.

A few, apparently

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/18...acted-driving/

There are some safety configurables in that regard now, but it doesn't surprise me that the notifications are rather mild.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:06 PM   #13
Starz26
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sure. I get a drop down message that hangs out for ~30 seconds, and when that goes away there's a red indicator on the CarPlay messages app icon to indicate there are new messages (same as on the iPhone). This is in the left side bar, you don't have to go to the home screen to see it. The screen is literally right in front of my face, so I don't often not see the drop down.

I don't mind not having the music mute and a chime every single time I get a message while driving. It stresses me out to try to maintain a conversation that way. I much prefer to see the indicator and have the messages read to me when I'm cruising or not in the middle of a good song.
For me all that would be fine IF the rest of the iDrive system was still available (like Nav). CarPlay is either all or nothing. And the fact that I cannot use Wifi to stream music or for data and instead have to connect to LTE and use my data is just a bad implementation.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #14
shemazar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e46 m3

Yes, Google Maps and Waze should be coming soon. Apple announced 3rd party maps support back in June I think. Apple has an announcement next Wednesday the 12th, too.

I would use CarPlay more if it took up the whole screen. I don’t understand why BMW boxed it in like they did, because it makes it feel inconplete to me. I want the map to take up the full width of the display, but BMW doesn’t let it. Combined with the new subscription deal, I think BMW ought to give us an update that lets it go fullscreen for the money we’re paying. That’s the fault of BMW and not Apple.
Appreciate 2
shoptb176.00
      09-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #15
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

For me all that would be fine IF the rest of the iDrive system was still available (like Nav). CarPlay is either all or nothing. And the fact that I cannot use Wifi to stream music or for data and instead have to connect to LTE and use my data is just a bad implementation.
That's interesting. I've never really needed to connect to WiFi while I'm driving, but I wonder if it is a limitation of wireless CarPlay or in general. I hear BMWs is the first wireless CarPlay.

You can of course hit the BMW icon in CarPlay and get back to the BMW nav, etc (I'm sure this isn't what you are referring to) while still listening to CarPlay music, and I think you can even play songs off the car hard drive while using CarPlay maps, etc, but it really is not seamless, it's clear you are running two systems and having to switch manually between.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #16
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Yes, wireless CarPlay requires and uses wifi. It uses bluetooth to initially connect and then switches over to wifi. BT isn’t fast enough for all the extra data that CarPlay uses. This is an Apple thing, not BMW’s architectural decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 01:46 AM   #17
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
Have tried CarPlay for a while but also can't see the added value yet. The only thing it does better is the Spotify integration. In the normal iDrive spotify's integrations is just not always working, I have to start the app myself on the phone etc.

But for the rest nothing special. I don't like the fact that I can't access my contacts through iDrive when connected to Airplay, can't set preset buttons to any functions within carplay. (Like call my wife). Maybe with iOS 12 and Waze integration it might be of added value.
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:30 AM   #18
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

I try to use iDrive as much as possible (having Nav info in the HUD is a killer feature that Carplay just doesn't have). However, Carplay can be useful in some circumstances:
  • You live in an area that's continuously under development, with new major roads constantly being added. BMW maps don't seem to be updated very often. Carplay maps are much more up-to-date. This will just get better with iOS12 (next week) and google maps, waze, and what-have-you.

• Carplay app UI on the big touchscreen can be very nice, as it's much easier to see/read.

• Consistent UI. If you have to switch between multiple cars/rentals, it's very nice to have everything in your pocket, with the same UI between cars.
The downside of carplay is that maps uses up cellular data. Not only do you need a decent data plan, but you also need a good signal (good luck in the mountains). The cell service where I live is iffy, and the current (iOS 11) carplay maps may be blank for a minute or so after I start the car (because carplay has to download the maps via cellular).

Edit: also, note that, with or without Carplay, you can still use Siri to do a lot, like "Call my wife". This gets better with iOS 12 and Shortcuts. Soon, you should be able to say, "Execute Plan B", and have a message sent to your wife, and the heater/AC turned on, as well as the lights. (Actually, I think you can already do a lot of this with iOS 11.)

Last edited by darrylo; 09-07-2018 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #19
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I don't disagree with any of the complaints about CarPlay in this thread, but it's still a must have to me. My biggest complaint is definitely that there's no way to display text messages. Hearing them read by Siri is somehow more distracting to me. I should have some option to just display them, especially if I'm parked.

But, on the positive side, CarPlay allows me to switch between and control different audio apps on my phone without touching my phone while driving. Like I'll switch from SiriusXM app to my podcast app and choose one all with the iDrive controller. Plus, do the Sirius and Spotify apps get updates on iDrive or will they stay the same? My iPhone/CarPlay apps are updated all the time. That, and once Waze and Google Maps officially work with it, I can't imagine using iDrive nav except for the HUD integration.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:45 AM   #20
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
If you jailbreak your phone and install NGXPlay you can have any app on CarPlay. See https://ioshacker.com/cydia/ngxplay-...ny-app-carplay
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:58 AM   #21
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swestland85 View Post
If you jailbreak your phone and install NGXPlay you can have any app on CarPlay. See https://ioshacker.com/cydia/ngxplay-...ny-app-carplay
That won't work anymore. I'm using:
http://carbridgetweak.com
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #22
mjdth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
I don't really agree with that. I use a mixture of iDrive & carplay almost always. Usually have the right screen set to iDrive map facing north and the main screen set to carplay. If I'm getting directions somewhere close or simple I'll use apple/siri directions. If I want directions in the HUD ill get it through iDrive (and you can even send the address to BMW iDrive if you pulled it up on Apple maps in carplay, which is really nice).
Appreciate 0