BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #45
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
The fact remains...M57 is more capable for longevity and upside for power than any Diesel engine BMW has produced since.
Did you miss where we're discussing a new vehicle for sale now? That's all that matters here, something that meets current euro 6d emissions. I'm glad you're happy with the M57 sans emissions equipment, but people shopping the X3 M40d are looking for something that is emissions compliant and new.

Quote:
Same with the N54 on the petrol side - these cars are holding 650 whp on stock internals.
And thankfully the N54 came with more transmission options than the ZF6 but it never was available in an X3 either. It's a great motor, but just because I bought one 9 years ago, doesn't mean that's what I'd want to go out and buy in a new vehicle.

Quote:
And you confirmed my comment on evolution of the motors - you basically repeated what I said.
Nope, that's not what happened there at all. If you want to call the S55 an evolution of something, it's N54/N55, not the S54. The S54 and S55 are different architectures.
Jesus - how obtuse can you be..?

I am well aware of the difference between the S54 to the S65 to the S55. Just like the M57 to the N57 to the B57.

And - you are wrong again. A MT option for the M57 does exist as well as an upgraded AT option with billet internals and 2 different tune options for sport mode.

And FWIW - out about $7k to $9k in a E90 M57, and it'll crush a S65 or S55 in curve or straight line. I've personally done it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 06:12 AM   #46
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Jesus - how obtuse can you be..?

I am well aware of the difference between the S54 to the S65 to the S55. Just like the M57 to the N57 to the B57.
Exactly, they're different architectures, who's being obtuse?

Quote:
And - you are wrong again. A MT option for the M57 does exist as well as an upgraded AT option with billet internals and 2 different tune options for sport mode.
What M57 had a manual option in the US? Sure, build an old ZF6 and you still have a built ZF6, not a ZF8. Which is the current standard for new BMWs, like what we're talking about with the M40d.

Quote:
And FWIW - out about $7k to $9k in a E90 M57, and it'll crush a S65 or S55 in curve or straight line. I've personally done it.
And in this thread about the M40d, that means nothing. Build an G01 with an M57, have it crush the M40d, meet Euro 6d emissions and you'll be on to something.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #47
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

@ND40oz

MT option from BMW - no.

MT option from secondary market - yes. But this also requires a different gear ratio...so, there's that to consider.

Yes - engines evolve and, often change. Not sure where you read my comments otherwise. Just like the N54 is a bed plate motor, but only made 300 bhp and tq from the factory, compared to the M57 that isn''t a bed plate motor, and yet it made 425 tq from the factory. In reality - the N54 is made to hold much higher power, compared to a motor that actually stresses the motor more (the M57). Conversely - the M57 is a factory closed deck block compared to the open deck N54.

We can have a much more technical discussion off line if you so choose, but I doubt you'll want to dive that deep into the technical aspects beyond what you have read online.

I just think you should slow down and actually absorb what you read first, think, and then respond.....never said BMW made a MT M57; said this option exists. Understand also that platforms evolve and completely change with advances in mechanical engineering. Just because it changes or advances, doesn't mean it's better.

If only the EPA banned all prior production vehicles that do not meet the ever changing conditions for compliance, then our conversation would focus only on the current year models.

Last comment - That's the great thing about the internet - another person can have a different opinion from you, present factual data to support their side, and then agree to disagree. The EPA can pass all the laws and rules they want - as soon as they have the man power and work force to actually enforce said laws - I'll worry then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #48
Dzo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp. xDrive

I answer to the very first post :-)

Yes, coming from diesels, I wished a M40d.

By curiosity, I’ve checked the configurator and with the higher price of the M40d, even with better mileage, for me, it is more expensive.

I don’t regret my M40i :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #49
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
@ND40oz

MT option from BMW - no.

MT option from secondary market - yes. But this also requires a different gear ratio...so, there's that to consider.
Sure, I get it, the options are there. But no one looking to buy a new vehicle like the G01 M40d is going to do one, but you do get the wonderful ZF8HP with the M40d directly from the factory.

Quote:
Yes - engines evolve and, often change. Not sure where you read my comments otherwise. Just like the N54 is a bed plate motor, but only made 300 bhp and tq from the factory, compared to the M57 that isn''t a bed plate motor, and yet it made 425 tq from the factory. In reality - the N54 is made to hold much higher power, compared to a motor that actually stresses the motor more (the M57). Conversely - the M57 is a factory closed deck block compared to the open deck N54.

We can have a much more technical discussion off line if you so choose, but I doubt you'll want to dive that deep into the technical aspects beyond what you have read online.
The N54 came in 320 and 335 hp variants as well (with up to 370 lb-ft) and had Power Performance Kits available for the 300 hp version in some models, factory tunes offered directly from BMW. They have to warranty their drivetrains for up to 7 years/100k miles so of course they're going to build in some headroom. It's now one of the reasons the B modular engine family is using closed deck blocks, but 12 years ago when the N54 was introduced BMW was competing with other 250-300 hp vehicles, the need wasn't there. With factory 400+ hp 6 cylinders now the norm, things have changed.

Thankfully, in addition to the M40i BMW has decided to give G01 and G02 buyers the option of a higher hp B57 in the M40d.

Quote:
I just think you should slow down and actually absorb what you read first, think, and then respond.....
Which despite my best efforts to discuss the release of the G01 M40d in this thread and how it meets current Euro 6d emissions standards, we've ended up here. My mistake and I will steer this conversation back to the main point of this thread, the release of the G01 M40d.

Quote:
never said BMW made a MT M57; said this option exists. Understand also that platforms evolve and completely change with advances in mechanical engineering. Just because it changes or advances, doesn't mean it's better.
Yes, the option exists in other markets. BMW made plenty of manual transmission M57's, just they were never released in the US. The later ones used the ZF GS6-53DZ as opposed to the GS6-53BZ used with the N54, obviously different gearing used for the benzin version versus the diesel. Unfortunately in the US you're stuck with ZF6HP from the factory.

Thankfully the new G01 M40d comes with the ZF8HP from the factory.

Quote:
If only the EPA banned all prior production vehicles that do not meet the ever changing conditions for compliance, then our conversation would focus only on the current year models.
This thread is about the release of the new G01 M40d, so yes, emissions compliance for the current year matters since they need to be compliant to be sold.

Quote:
Last comment - That's the great thing about the internet - another person can have a different opinion from you, present factual data to support their side, and then agree to disagree. The EPA can pass all the laws and rules they want - as soon as they have the man power and work force to actually enforce said laws - I'll worry then.
Exactly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, clearly some people don't care about emissions regulations and there are areas of the US where they have that choice. But manufacturers don't and they build vehicles to meet the current standards for where and when they are being sold. It's a bit disingenuous to claim an M57 powered vehicle will outperform the new one as long as it's not hamstrung by any emissions regulations.

But, the new G01 M40d does meet current Euro 6d emissions regulations, making it available for sale as a new vehicle in markets which fall under those regulations.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #50
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

err..... but is it coming the UK or not ? as I dont think so and hoping to be wrong !

MY2019 X3 40D M-sport with all the toys. Also a Mini CS for the wife and me to play in at the weekends
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #51
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored of Audi View Post
err..... but is it coming the UK or not ? as I dont think so and hoping to be wrong !
THe M40d? Yes it should be listed on BMW web site in coming weeks. I'm still pushing Alphabet to sort it. You can already see it on sites like broadspeed etc.. Some people on other threads/forums have even placed up front orders with dealers with some discount.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #52
lee_fr200
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

It is coming to the UK it’s on dealers configurators and can be specd there’s currently 11% off them as well bringing them down to 46k

Already spoke to my dealer last week
Appreciate 0