BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #23
frank23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
+1 on what people like about AAC. I've only used for a day. I really think I will drive slower now on regular commutes. The ability to just set it and have distance maintained.. much more relaxing. I wish it remembered that I preferred closest follow distance.
I coded that on my 435i, it will always start with the shortest distance - expecting that I will be able to code that in my M40i as well. Right now it's stuck at LATC so might finally get to me by end of next week

BTW: assuming the (2015) 435i ACC system is very similar to the X3's, it does work very well. Only downside (in SoCal) is that even the shortest following distance still leaves a gap that a lot of people will move into, the car will widen the gap after that, and so on. More of a problem with the other drivers than the system.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #24
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
+1 on what people like about AAC. I've only used for a day. I really think I will drive slower now on regular commutes. The ability to just set it and have distance maintained.. much more relaxing. I wish it remembered that I preferred closest follow distance.

On a related note, I am less enthused about lane keep assist. It mostly works.. even when ACC not engaged. Rather shocking first time I drifted toward lane boundary and had wheel pull me back to center. Actually kind of liking that aspect. What I don't like is it's not very reliable. Keeps losing lane - esp. on light cement roads with white painted lines. I was hoping ACC with Lane Keep Assist would make it mostly match Tesla's performance. But alas, it keeps losing lane with little to no warning. I am hoping software updates will improve.

I've only used for a day. Anyone else having poor luck with Lane Keep Assist?

This is exactly my experience as well. ACC is fine. LKA is a sometimes thing -- and worse, there's no way to determine when it's likely to not work.

I have a hypothesis: LKA is more accurate when the radar has locked onto a car in front of you. This is indicated by a car symbol on the IP/Head-up display. I can't prove it but I think LKA shouldn't be trusted unless there is a locked-on car in front for it to follow.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
sinbad4782.50
      04-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

On a related note, I am less enthused about lane keep assist. It mostly works.. even when ACC not engaged. Rather shocking first time I drifted toward lane boundary and had wheel pull me back to center. Actually kind of liking that aspect. What I don't like is it's not very reliable. Keeps losing lane - esp. on light cement roads with white painted lines. I was hoping ACC with Lane Keep Assist would make it mostly match Tesla's performance. But alas, it keeps losing lane with little to no warning. I am hoping software updates will improve.

I've only used for a day. Anyone else having poor luck with Lane Keep Assist?

I expected it to work a lot better than it does. I would never use it with a cop behind me because I guarantee I would get stopped for a DUI/DWI check.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #26
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
Better for all to see here in my opinion.
LOL I was totally joking.. making fun of the RTFM folks.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #27
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I expected it to work a lot better than it does. I would never use it with a cop behind me because I guarantee I would get stopped for a DUI/DWI check.
One of the CA's at the local BMW dealer got pulled over for weaving - cop thought that he was drunk. Interesting discussion ensued
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #28
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
LOL I was totally joking.. making fun of the RTFM folks.
Sailed right over my head dude, my bad!
      05-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #29
Sharpedge
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Love this feature and have used it to great effect over the last week in stop start traffic. Only issue with it is other aggressive drivers who are not happy with the gap it leaves in front of the car when at speed, this even on the lowest setting. I was making progress in the fast lane and 3 A Holes one after another cut up the inside and pulled in front if me. This causes the car to jump on the breaks which in turn starts the whole proves over again. It take the system time to recover and close the gap again, safety feature I guess. I had to cancel the cruise control and close the gap myself in the end to stop even more A Holes cutting me up.

Great part is that with 360 ponies it closes the gap real fast
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #30
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

The ACC was a must have option for me which made finding a non 340i x3 very challenging. I had the feature on our i3 and on our x1. In my opinion the x1 system was a little better than the i3 and the system in the new x3 is leaps and bounds better due to using a radar system rather than camera system. The system is much better at smooth braking and makes for a much more enjoyable drive when the system is active.

My experience with the LKA has been good thus far. I haven’t quite figured out why, but sometimes the system tracks wonderfully center of the lane and other times weaves as others have mentioned. Overall it makes long drives really great.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #31
MrXW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

Hi guys, I am totally new here and there is something I am very confused about. You guys may be able to help me out.

Is ACC + Driving Assistant (DA) = Driving Assistant Plus(DAP)? If ACC + DA works, why DAP exits?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #32
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXW View Post
Hi guys, I am totally new here and there is something I am very confused about. You guys may be able to help me out.

Is ACC + Driving Assistant (DA) = Driving Assistant Plus(DAP)? If ACC + DA works, why DAP exits?
Yes, you are correct. DA+ exists because it is more than just adaptive cruise control. It builds on the packages in DA making them active rather than passive systems. For example DA gives you lane departure warning (passive) but DA+ makes that Lane Keep Assist which is more than just a warning but is actively working to keep the car in it’s lane. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #33
MrXW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Yes, you are correct. DA+ exists because it is more than just adaptive cruise control. It builds on the packages in DA making them active rather than passive systems. For example DA gives you lane departure warning (passive) but DA+ makes that Lane Keep Assist which is more than just a warning but is actively working to keep the car in it’s lane. Hope this helps.
Ok, I am slowly picking up this concept. Based on what you said, it seems that DA+ equips self-driving feature which can move the steering wheel to either keep the car in lane or turn the car into the bend, but the DA + ACC require driver' hands to do all the steering jobs. Is it right?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #34
u6006
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 x28i

Quote:
Ok, I am slowly picking up this concept. Based on what you said, it seems that DA+ equips self-driving feature which can move the steering wheel to either keep the car in lane or turn the car into the bend, but the DA + ACC require driver' hands to do all the steering jobs. Is it right?
Yes, that's true for all current Gxx models, while, AFAIK, DA+ of Fxx models is equal to ACC (w/ stop & go and front collision mitigation)

Items contained in DA+ (US version) for G01 are as follows:

"ZDB Driving Assistance Plus Package
5AT Active Driving Assistant Plus
Active Driving Assistant Plus includes Active Cruise Control w/Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/ side collision avoidance,
Traffic Jam Assistant, Evasion Aid, & Cross-traffic alert front, in addition to the contents of Active Driving Assistant
ZDB requires ordering ZDA"
Appreciate 1
MrXW2.00
      05-03-2018, 06:00 PM   #35
MrXW
United Kingdom
Rep

I am curious how the ACC or DA+ works at the round about. Is it that clever to understand when it is time to go without a kick to the accelerate pedal?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #36
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Mine has worked flawless on my 3 series and my X3. From 75mph down to a dead stop. No issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #37
MotorMax
United_States
Rep

Really happy with the ACC on the X3 -- best I've ever used. Smooth, reliable, and works down to a stop.

The lane-keeping is more hit-and-miss, but ACC is tight.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #38
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Yes, paddle. Does not increase if you're resuming.
You can also just hit the resume button and the system will start up again.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #39
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 MG M2

I just got off the phone with BMW Genius and she said that with (5DF) Active Cruise Control the car does not stop and go. Is this correct? Is this option useless for stop and go traffic? Just to clarify I am NOT ordering Driver Assistance Plus.

This is a serious question and sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #40
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneandDone View Post
I just got off the phone with BMW Genius and she said that with (5DF) Active Cruise Control the car does not stop and go. Is this correct? Is this option useless for stop and go traffic? Just to clarify I am NOT ordering Driver Assistance Plus.

This is a serious question and sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.
BMW call the 5DF option 'Active cruise control with stop and go function' so I would say yes it should stop and go

Mine does although if you are stationery for more than around 10 seconds you have to press the resume button to move off
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #41
Neo1130
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

It's nice but still always be prepared in case it fails on you.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #42
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
I am curious how the ACC or DA+ works at the round about. Is it that clever to understand when it is time to go without a kick to the accelerate pedal?
Is it f**k. When I got mine in 2014 I was playing around town. Turned it on to track a car doing 30, set it to 40. This shit being all new to me I came to a roundabout, dude in front sailed off. Whammo, luckily I caught it in time but was a shock!

:-)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #43
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i, Carbon Black

Garage List
I just used ACC and steering in an hour long, traffic jam on the way home tonight. I was very impressed. Handled all of the stops and starts with ease. And steering couldn’t have been easier as I pretty much just crawled along behind the car in front. I was even impressed that there were times when it seemed to restart when traffic moved - even before I hit the resume button. It seemed to happen when I hadn’t come to a complete stop yet or for just a second or two. Anyway, great experience and a much better way to sit in traffic too.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #44
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Quote:
Is it f**k. When I got mine in 2014 I was playing around town. Turned it on to track a car doing 30, set it to 40. This shit being all new to me I came to a roundabout, dude in front sailed off. Whammo, luckily I caught it in time but was a shock!

:-)
I had a similar scary moment early on. I had the ACC on and set the speed at 75mph (120 km/h) on the highway. Enjoying an easy drive along the way until I got off at the exit ramp while the ACC was still active, the car tried to accelerate back to 75 mph while doing the cloverleaf exit ramp with no car in front of me. I caught it early before the car did anything too crazy and get myself killed... I have to remind myself to turn the ACC off every time before exiting.
Appreciate 0