BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #23
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Cool, insightful comparo. The Q5 is the best looking here, I think
      04-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #24
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I take those comparisons with a grain of salt. Do your own comparisons. I was looking at an SQ5 and the X3 M40i. Reviewers said they were comparable in all measures. I'm a car guy and I never owned an SUV. So I took the SQ5 out on a test drive and I hated it. It felt underpowered, un-composed, choppy, and it drove like crap. I figured at that point that all SUVs are pretty much going to be like the SQ5 only worse. So I wrote off getting the X3 M40i based off that SQ5 test drive. I started looking at the Audi S5 Sportback. That car had the speed and the feel that I was looking for. Before I was going to pull the string on the S5 Sportback I took the X3 30i for a test drive. The BMW X3 30i felt like night and day compared to the SQ5. The BMW felt more composed, and to be honest seemed just as fast. I didn’t think that SUVs would be enjoyable, especially after the SQ5 test drive.

I ended up ordering the BMW X3 M40i based off the X3 30i test drive and haven’t looked back. Now that I have the vehicle, I realize that most reviewers have an agenda. After taking delivery of my X3 M40i I fully realized how much crap those reviewers are full of. The car I traded in was an Audi S3. The SQ5 felt much slower than the S3, while my X3 M40i feels faster than my old S3. The handling isn’t anything like what I felt on the SQ5. Any review of the SQ5 they always mentioned the SQ5 and being the X3 M40i’s equal. That isn’t the experience that I had. One car made me write off SUV’s because I hated the way it drove, handled and accelerated, and the other car I love because of the way it handles.
Appreciate 3
ando2000.50
Max Well4734.50
      04-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #25
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Well, 10.000 Words trying to praise the E84 and bash the G01, i'm impressed!
I'm happy your happy with your E84 Keep it up!within the two years i had my E84 x-drive 20da, i think the strong points is how it drives, since it's such a low suv, it's basicly a crossover, rather than a SUV, due to it's heights.
But trying to bash the new generation BMW due to it's lower quality - coming from previous generations is... really silly.
The point is, the new generation of 5 series, the 7 and the new X3 are really up to Audi level, something this very test goes to show. Past generations of BMW haven't had this high quality interiour level. BMW have always been about the drive, it's engines and chassi. Back in the late 90's when the E39 and E46 came along, they had awsome build quality. Since then BMW didn't really excel in interiour quality. But right now, they are really back where they belong imo.
Besides, a 1 series and X1 are entry level vehicles, allthoug belonging to a premium brand, they have a simpler quality to them than the 3 series and X3. In fact, the G01 is really into 5 series territory with it's excellent interiour.
I feel sorry to burst your bubble but facts are not silly.

When you have a proper hard with good material sunroof blind on one hand and a sagging cloth as a replacement on the other, you can not say that I am praising one for another. I am not here to praise anything, for the money my x1 -entry level or not- has a proper quality. The touch and feeling is not something silly, it is a result of tactile and sensorial experience and not words.
My X1 has all the bells and whistles from full leather, with all packages, from lights to comfort access, rain sensor, beam assistant, washers, Navi, Voice control, Harman Kardon, etc. so I don't know your E84 but mine is top notch and par with the 3 Series at the time (I owned an F30 as well and they were extremely similar as materials and quality). Many X1 were pretty slim in packages and before they change the model BMW even cut many packages at the end. Yes the new X1 is different and shows the entry level, but not the old one. E84 had a different approach back then, being a 3 series at core and getting same materials as the 3 series at the time. Switches, seats, shifters, screen, steering wheel, carpet, covers, mirrors, are all 3 series components.

If you think that the X3 is in a 5 Series territory, I suggest to check again a dealership.
Just picked up our X1 and dropped the loaner today and looked again for 2 hours at all vehicles, there is no comparison between the 5 series and the G01.
And I am glad that 5 Series is in a different league, with a G01 interior will not be in the same game like the others.

The X3 is not on the 5 Series niche, but rather on 3 Series niche. X5 yes, different quality.

And as a note, on the new X3 I like the engine, the seats, the ergonomics are well designed, I find the ride comfortable and refined. Steering wheel was boaty but is electric so can't compare it with my road -feel hydraulic one.
But can't refrain on saying something when is there just to not hurt somebody's feelings.... Sorry

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-05-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
I'm happy your happy with your E84 Keep it up!within the two years i had my E84 x-drive 20da, i think the strong points is how it drives, since it's such a low suv, it's basicly a crossover, rather than a SUV, due to it's heights.
But trying to bash the new generation BMW due to it's lower quality - coming from previous generations is... really silly.
The point is, the new generation of 5 series, the 7 and the new X3 are really up to Audi level, something this very test goes to show. Past generations of BMW haven't had this high quality interiour level. BMW have always been about the drive, it's engines and chassi. Back in the late 90's when the E39 and E46 came along, they had awsome build quality. Since then BMW didn't really excel in interiour quality. But right now, they are really back where they belong imo.
Besides, a 1 series and X1 are entry level vehicles, allthoug belonging to a premium brand, they have a simpler quality to them than the 3 series and X3. In fact, the G01 is really into 5 series territory with it's excellent interiour.
I disagree.. The new generation can be bashed on it's own merits.. can it not? And comparing new models to previous generations is always what customers do. I feel like you are simply glossing over valid complaints in favor of " newer = better ".

I am NOT one to make complaints about interiors.. I think all BMW interiors are all fine... I guess I am for the most part not that picky and not looking to be CODDLED... however.. many BMW buyers DO expect LUXURY in ways that I simply do not care about. Many of @tracus complaints are items I don't notice much. However.. As silly as it may be.. his comment about the sun visors did strike me. The sun visor in my 2011 E82 1M is the cheapest.. flimsiest idea of a visor. It feels like a piece of plastic when folding it down.. and makes a loud SMACK when it is folded back up. I don't believe it even has a lighted mirror... just a small piece of " glass"

My 2013 E84 X1 actually has decent visors... As @tracus mentioned they actually not only feel decent... they work well.. They don't feel like the cheap plastic ones that came in my 1M. They fold up without making loud bangy sounds and there is a decent sized mirror that is lighted. Both vehicles have an MSRP around 45K... so the materials should be somewhat comparable i would think? I chalk it up to #because sportscar... but many owners in these forums complain about issues like this... including CF trim... the texture of plastics etc etc.

While having cheap flimsy visors wouldn't be a deal killer with regards to buying decisions.. I agree.. if I were to jump into an X3M40 (which runs about 10-15K more than 1M) and find the cheap visor that is in my 1M.. I would be rather shocked and disappointed.

I sure hope i didn't exceed your 10,000 word bashing threshold..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-05-2018 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
Teutonic2709.00
      04-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #27
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Quote:
I feel sorry to burst your bubble but facts are not silly.

When you have a proper hard with good material sunroof blind on one hand and a sagging cloth as a replacement on the other, you can not say that I am praising one for another. I am not here to praise anything, for the money my x1 -entry level or not- has a proper quality. The touch and feeling is not something silly, it is a result of tactile and sensorial experience and not words.
My X1 has all the bells and whistles from full leather, with all packages, from lights to comfort access, rain sensor, beam assistant, washers, Navi, Voice control, Harman Kardon, etc. so I don't know your E84 but mine is top notch and par with the 3 Series at the time (I owned an F30 as well and they were extremely similar as materials and quality). Many X1 were pretty slim in packages and before they change the model BMW even cut many packages at the end. Yes the new X1 is different and shows the entry level, but not the old one. E84 had a different approach back then, being a 3 series at core and getting same materials as the 3 series at the time. Switches, seats, shifters, screen, steering wheel, carpet, covers, mirrors, are all 3 series components.

If you think that the X3 is in a 5 Series territory, I suggest to check again a dealership.
Just picked up our X1 and dropped the loaner today and looked again for 2 hours at all vehicles, there is no comparison between the 5 series and the G01.
And I am glad that 5 Series is in a different league, with a G01 interior will not be in the same game like the others.

The X3 is not on the 5 Series niche, but rather on 3 Series niche. X5 yes, different quality.

And as a note, on the new X3 I like the engine, the seats, the ergonomics are well designed, I find the ride comfortable and refined. Steering wheel was boaty but is electric so can't compare it with my road -feel hydraulic one.
But can't refrain on saying something when is there just to not hurt somebody's feelings.... Sorry
Fact is, of 100 unbiased People, the vast mojority (99%) would pick the G01 as the SUV with the highest quality interiour. F25 is crearly below it, the E84 is just a laugh in comparison.
Appreciate 1
sor3106.50
      04-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #28
Le Chefre
Rep
Drives: G01

As I'm sure many of you did I shopped these 3 extensively- ended up with the X3.

For exterior looks, I think the Volvo is the sharpest. I LOVE the front end/side profile. I'd put the X3 slightly behind it though I think it also looks fantastic. The rear of all of them is a big eh, I think that's just part of the deal with a compact SUV. The Audi is just too boring and appears smaller due to the 'egg' shape to my eye.

For interior, the X3 stood head and shoulders above the other 2 for my taste. Volvo lost me right out of the gate with the everything-via-touchscreen design. I do not care how good the touchscreen can be, I HATE a lack of buttons for the most commonly used features. BMW got this just right in my opinion. Audi did well here but not quite as well.

The X3 was the best driving experience for me too. Audi had really noticeable turbo lag and the XC60 base engine was weeeeak. I got a 30i and to me it's punchy as hell in sport mode.

X3 wins the overall package to me, and that is what almost every head to head review has said as well.
Appreciate 1
Slalom508.50
      04-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #29
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Fact is, of 100 unbiased People, the vast mojority (99%) would pick the G01 as the SUV with the highest quality interiour. F25 is crearly below it, the E84 is just a laugh in comparison.
No, a car person and detail oriented individual will se the difference. But, that’s what is offered right now, so regardless of what we want, we still get the saggy cloth above the head. I consider X4 myself, yet I need to see if the materials are better on a top spec one. If not, that 99% can buy it.

Just so you know, the E84 is a 3 Series at core and night and day different than the F48 new X1 (I don”t like the new X1 either).
E84 is a 3 Series platform with 3 Series parts from top to bottom and drives like the 3. If 3 Series is cheap looking then.... no argument in here.

Since the E84 was replaced and there is no comparison with the new ones, here are some facts and reviews comparos with your F25. Plenty of opinions regarding the interior.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...ference-235303

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...asons-wrap-up/

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...-review-211454

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-06-2018 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #30
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Why are we spending all this time on the OLD X3?

For me, the X3 was never a consideration until I saw the G01. I always thought they were unattractive, frumpy, and unremarkable until I saw the G01.

This from a guy that traded in his M4 for one.
Vervain397.50
Slalom508.50
      04-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #31
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post

For me, the X3 was never a consideration until I saw the G01. I always thought they were unattractive, frumpy, and unremarkable until I saw the G01.

was in the same boat about considering the x3 before seeing the g01

old x3 looks turdtastic

how you liking the g01 bayern
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #32
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
Quote:

was in the same boat about considering the x3 before seeing the g01

old x3 looks turdtastic

how you liking the g01 bayern
I love the interior. It's everything I could ask for. The gas mileage is amazing compared as well. I use metric while I'm here in Germany.

The only thing I miss is the exhaust sound. Admittedly, I acknowledge that it's not even in the same ballpark as far as exterior sexiness goes compared to my old M4.

Overall, I have no regrets. Bucket list item checked off and the G01 get the job done very well
Attached Images

04-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #33
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
I love the interior. It's everything I could ask for. The gas mileage is amazing compared as well. I use metric while I'm here in Germany.

The only thing I miss is the exhaust sound. Admittedly, I acknowledge that it's not even in the same ballpark as far as exterior sexiness goes compared to my old M4.

Overall, I have no regrets. Bucket list item checked off and the G01 get the job done very well
that's awesome. yea, I'm sure it's different shopping for cars after the m4 if you're not getting anything like it at all...my fiance and I are basically in the car of our dreams at this point in our life. g01 has been our favorite car and everyone else who rides with us loves it too. have fun in germany, hope to be there one of these years!
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #34
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

That's exactly how I felt.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 12:16 AM   #35
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Quote:
No, a car person and detail oriented individual will se the difference. But, that's what is offered right now, so regardless of what we want, we still get the saggy cloth above the head. I consider X4 myself, yet I need to see if the materials are better on a top spec one. If not, that 99% can buy it.

Just so you know, the E84 is a 3 Series at core and night and day different than the F48 new X1 (I don"t like the new X1 either).
E84 is a 3 Series platform with 3 Series parts from top to bottom and drives like the 3. If 3 Series is cheap looking then.... no argument in here.

Since the E84 was replaced and there is no comparison with the new ones, here are some facts and reviews comparos with your F25. Plenty of opinions regarding the interior.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...ference-235303

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...asons-wrap-up/

https://www.autotrader.com/car-revie...-review-211454

What's the obsession with the sunroof cover? It's been mentioned multiple times now, it just doesn't make any sense to me. It's a cover, it looks nice, works well.

Why does it need to be hard to be good? Mine covers the sunroof just fine and is not saggy, nice ant taut, the one you saw either was extremely broken or you're exaggerating. The cloth makes sense with the size of the roof, where and how would you retract a thick hard cover? And what about the added weight?
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #36
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
The cloth makes sense with the size of the roof, where and how would you retract a thick hard cover? And what about the added weight?
The poster complaining must be thinking of the manual sliding sunshade that the regular small sunroof cars used to (probably still do) use. There is no way a hard sunshade would be able to slide back.
Appreciate 1
Slalom508.50
      04-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #37
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The cloth makes sense with the size of the roof, where and how would you retract a thick hard cover? And what about the added weight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
The poster complaining must be thinking of the manual sliding sunshade that the regular small sunroof cars used to (probably still do) use. There is no way a hard sunshade would be able to slide back.

LOL, this forum never stops to amaze me.
I wonder if these posts are bad jokes or real lack of knowledge...
Before making a statement make sure that you know what are you talking about. All luxury vehicles have a proper opaque sunshade build with quality.
And yes, it slides all back into its place properly.
The panorama roof sunshade is made of a hard material made to reflect the sun in the top, and covered on the interior by the same excellent quality material as the whole roof and pillars, properly cushioned and soft to touch. You can even see that is not flat, it is curved to follow the roof shape, providing an elegant and neat look and more headroom.

Here is my E84 X1 panoramic Roof cover. I can't attach a video so I have compressed the file for you.
Please see attached:
- a video from you tube
- pictures with my E84
- a GIF with my x1 that shows how hard the roof cover is
- at the bottom there is a zip attachment with my own video made for you today.

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip E84.zip (379.7 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-08-2018 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #38
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What's the obsession with the sunroof cover? It's been mentioned multiple times now, it just doesn't make any sense to me. It's a cover, it looks nice, works well.

Why does it need to be hard to be good? Mine covers the sunroof just fine and is not saggy, nice ant taut, the one you saw either was extremely broken or you're exaggerating. The cloth makes sense with the size of the roof, where and how would you retract a thick hard cover? And what about the added weight?
It is not an obsession, is just one of the few things that are cheap in an expensive vehicle. This one just happened to be comment on.
What’s the obession with xenon? Halogen don’t work? Think about the added weight (ballast, aluminum radiators, etc.).
What’s the obsession with the sound system? Two speakers won’t work? What about the added weight?
Should I continue?
When you pay a certain amount of money you expect quality not cutting corner solutions. Because that’s what it is.
Way cheaper cars have a better sunroof cover, and BMW used to do it properly before.
Please don’t get me wrong but I find these explanations either hypocritical, either with double standards?! Now that they come with the cloth is about weight....?
This is like RWD rules but look, now that we need to make them cheap, can you see the benefits of FWD?

If weight is your concern, you shouldn’t buy the Panoramic sunroof to begin with. Panoramic roof adds also a lot of weight, plus under the vehicle is a different structure that will reinforce the chassis and keep it together while you are bumping and twisting with the panoramic roof open, so the chassis stays stiff and you can have a tight seal on a such big roof.
That cover weights nothing, try one from previous models.
Also, the panoramic roof shouldn't be too big, anything behind the rear passenger head is a waste and unnecessary weight (more glass is more weight, not a plastic cover).

The new shades are saggy and not perfect as they should be. Checked on few vehicles. Please check my zip attachment on the comment above made by me today. The cover will go exactly where all the previous models retract. G01 is so tall inside anyway, there is room to hide three sets if not enough length.

Should we buy the cars "naked", with no option because that adds weight?
Before talking weight, lets talk height and center of gravity. Height is more important. Weight is fine if properly distributed and the Kg/HP ratio gives agility. Many heavy cars are agile.
Not last, there is a temperature “cushion room” that plays a role when is too cold outside and warm inside or viceversa, except you leave the cover open all the way. The sun will “cook” that thing in no time (think a window drapery in the sun), and the build up moisture in cars where people don’t know how to use interior recirculation will get to it. Is a matter of when not if. Because of that, the new ones need to breath so hence the wholes in them, hence no 100% light seal.
Ever seen the upper side of old sunroof covers? There is a purpose in there. Anyway, very cheap solution that should not be present in a such car.

I am a BMW fan at core, but we need to wash the laundry in family; just chating the other day how they become so expensive, yet materials are cheap. I see this as a slap on consumer’s face and pisses me off especially because the new X1 is less car and the new X3 is lesser quality than before. Maybe I will end up with the X4 myself, not the end of the world, but I am not happy to see these things.
Appreciate 1
titomi926.00
      04-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #39
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
100% agree with above post. Cloth cover is cheap and doesn´t really serve as a cover. If a sun hits the roof with 40°C (104 F I guess), the the cloth is just not enough. I would be sorry for the rear passengers. No to mentioned the more power for the AC to maintain the temperature in the cabin.
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2709.00
      04-09-2018, 07:57 AM   #40
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I had the cloth cover with a panoramic sunroof on my F34 GT. It was not as quiet as the sunroof on the Go1 X3. In terms of heating, at +37c there was no issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #41
x3ster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4- YMB

I just test drove all of these and disagree with Carwow. The Q5 at this price point takes the cake. PERIOD. The quality is up over the BMW and would actually say the Volvo was second there on quality.

Granted if comparing the SQ5, x3 m40, and the Volvo id take the x3. However these are pushing 70k+ (m40) now at the dealership i was at. No value there. The ride in the x3 was also a let down on the particular model we drove.

Anyhow. Honestly Audi has a really solid product out in terms of about 50k. Not sure there is anything is better or with more value. Also the only one above that did not feel like i was driving a 4 cylinder....

Good luck to anyone looking at these 3 vehicles. They all are pretty over the top compared to any vehicle just a few years old...... but feel the Q5 has the best package at about 50k.

Thats what we picked up (q5). However note was pretty sure (90% before shopping) we would go home with the x3. ????
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #42
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Just got my X3 and completely agree that the cloth sunroof shade is utter crap. It’s not tight enough so it looks a bit saggy and the drivers side edge curls instead of having a nice flat crisp edge

I just leave it open all the time now
Appreciate 0