BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #45
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc3456 View Post
You're kidding right? The Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio is going to own the segment come release in March 2018. Not even close.
Sept its ugly and no one will trust its build quality and its going to struggle just like the Giulia.

It may be a great little mini SUV... but its not gonna matter and its certainly not gonna be stealing a significant amount of anyone's sales.

I genuinely think you'd have to have your head checked to buy the Alfa over the X3M, Macan or even AMG GLC.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #46
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
macan is going to be all electric they say
Made my decision for me right there if true. This is a deal killer for me.

I dont hate anyone who's ready for electric. IT just aint me. Not yet anyway. I want my growl when i put my foot down. Not a whistle in my ear. I dont care how much faster they are theres more to the experience than quickest to 60.

Again just my opinion... I can totally understand the appeal to others. I'm just not there yet.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      08-31-2017, 11:59 PM   #47
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndukyh View Post
Nice! Where are the side and front angles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndukyh View Post
Nice! Where are the side and front angles?
This set of images could be mass distributed photos to other Automotive publications. I must limit availability until all of those details are resolved. Thanks. PalBay
any up date?
Appreciate 1
duky1314.50
      09-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #48
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
I test-drove the GLC 43 recently after owning my X4 M40i for over a year now.
I had driven the C450 now C43 and was not impressed; the BMW 340 was much more rather impressive.
I hopped in a GLA 45 AMG and that was fun and could of been a buy over the 3 different C43 cars i tested.
There's no WOW factor in that 43 engine and seeing how the C63 S AMG are doing against the F80 M3, the same will happen once that big V8 goes into GLC. It will be a nice car; heavier and slower than X3M. The X3M will beat it in every category.
^This. I also agree that the 63S will weigh much more with that V8 and I believe that the X3M/X4M will come close to 500HP.

Quote:
You're kidding right? The Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio is going to own the segment come release in March 2018. Not even close.
It would seem so on paper but have you seen the issues plaguing the Alpha Romeo Giulia QV? How about the Stelvio Ti? Not even close would sum this up. Reliability has to count for something. The 63S will be top dog until the X3M is released...followed by the Macan Turbo S and/or the future Macan EV. It should all be an interesting comparison. Competition is good.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 2
FSociety3811.50
duky1314.50
      09-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #49
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa QVs & 4C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Sept its ugly and no one will trust its build quality and its going to struggle just like the Giulia.

It may be a great little mini SUV... but its not gonna matter and its certainly not gonna be stealing a significant amount of anyone's sales.

I genuinely think you'd have to have your head checked to buy the Alfa over the X3M, Macan or even AMG GLC.
Wait to drive one when they arrive instead of speaking out of ignorance. The Ferrari-designed engine is phenomenal and absolutely kicks the sh*t out of the M3 in the Giulia. Trust me, I know firsthand having owned both simultaneously. I'd expect the same from Stelvio QV as well. The Macan is crap in comparison...period. There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever, don't even go there. The GLC will be a very close 3rd to the X3M.

Last edited by mcc3456; 09-15-2017 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      09-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #50
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
^This. I also agree that the 63S will weigh much more with that V8 and I believe that the X3M/X4M will come close to 500HP.

It would seem so on paper but have you seen the issues plaguing the Alpha Romeo Giulia QV? How about the Stelvio Ti? Not even close would sum this up. Reliability has to count for something. The 63S will be top dog until the X3M is released...followed by the Macan Turbo S and/or the future Macan EV. It should all be an interesting comparison. Competition is good.
I have seen the reliability issues firsthand. I've owned a Quadrifoglio since mid-February and have never had a single issue with mine so far. I also owned an F80 M3 for two years prior to and also at the same time for a two month period. On the M3, I had a defective/dead LiIon battery during the first month of ownership, constant DCT issues (multiple service appointments on that), nonstop rattles from the exhaust, brake heat shields, squeaky window seals, amplifier/speaker problems, about 8-10 software updates, and the list went on.

After owning and driving both the M3 and QV side by side during two months overlap, I finally decided to sell the M3. The Alfa was and still is a better driving/performing/handling/sounding/riding car. Overall the M3 was the standard bearer at one time, but no longer, until the next gen arrives. I bought my Alfa QV very well-equipped for $77K. That was about $7k less than the similarly-equipped, two model year older M3 when I bought it new, but honestly, the QV is a better car. Speaking from real world experience, not regurgitated magazine BS (due to not getting the well-known start-stop system software updates performed before beating on the car only to have it succumb to the reason for the update. Not a mechanical issue, just a software conflict, since resolved).

Anyway, don't discount the upcoming Stelvio Quadrifoglio. It will outperform the new Cayenne Turbo for $50-65k less money...mark my words! The X3M ain't no Cayenne Turbo. So there you go.

Last edited by mcc3456; 09-15-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      09-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #51
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
I have seen the reliability issues firsthand. I've owned a Quadrifoglio since mid-February and have never had a single issue with mine so far. I also owned an F80 M3 for two years prior to and also at the same time for a two month period. On the M3, I had a defective/dead LiIon battery during the first month of ownership, constant DCT issues (multiple service appointments on that), nonstop rattles from the exhaust, brake heat shields, squeaky window seals, amplifier/speaker problems, about 8-10 software updates, and the list went on.

After owning and driving both the M3 and QV side by side during two months overlap, I finally decided to sell the M3. The Alfa was and still is a better driving/performing/handling/sounding/riding car. Overall the M3 was the standard bearer at one time, but no longer, until the next gen arrives. I bought my Alfa QV very well-equipped for $77K. That was about $7k less than the similarly-equipped, two model year older M3 when I bought it new, but honestly, the QV is a better car. Speaking from real world experience, not regurgitated magazine BS (due to not getting the well-known start-stop system software updates performed before beating on the car only to have it succumb to the reason for the update. Not a mechanical issue, just a software conflict, since resolved).

Anyway, don't discount the upcoming Stelvio Quadrifoglio. It will outperform the new Cayenne Turbo for $50-65k less money...mark my words! The X3M ain't no Cayenne Turbo. So there you go.
Glad you have had a good experience with your Alpha Romeo QV but from all the negative reviews and articles (and from multiple sources) out there, I am going to stick with my original assessment that FCA is not doing a good job with the reliability of their vehicles. I don't know how the M3 got into the conversation but complaining about your sad experience won't change anything.

As far as the Cayenne Turbo is concerned...it is in a different class altogether. Porsche claims the new 2019 Cayenne Turbo will hit 60 MPH in 3.7s and God only knows what the Turbo S will hit. Porsche is pretty conservative with their 0-60 numbers and I haven't seen a Giulia QV hit 60 faster than 3.9s...so, I doubt the heavier Stelvio QV will break 4s.

2019 is going to be a big year for M cars. Let's see what happens.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      09-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #52
mcc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad you have had a good experience with your Alpha Romeo QV but from all the negative reviews and articles (and from multiple sources) out there, I am going to stick with my original assessment that FCA is not doing a good job with the reliability of their vehicles. I don't know how the M3 got into the conversation but complaining about your sad experience won't change anything.

As far as the Cayenne Turbo is concerned...it is in a different class altogether. Porsche claims the new 2019 Cayenne Turbo will hit 60 MPH in 3.7s and God only knows what the Turbo S will hit. Porsche is pretty conservative with their 0-60 numbers and I haven't seen a Giulia QV hit 60 faster than 3.9s...so, I doubt the heavier Stelvio QV will break 4s.

2019 is going to be a big year for M cars. Let's see what happens.
Not sure what sources you’re looking at but the Giulia Quadrifoglio has regularly hit 0-60 between 3.6 and 3.8 seconds. Rumor has it that the Stelvio Quadrifoglio has managed 3.8-3.9 seconds, and also pre-production testing ran the fastest lap around the Nurburgring, all from a vehicle that will be $50k less than the Cayenne Turbo, and even less versus the Turbo S. Not sure about you, but I count that as pretty damn impressive for the money. It will likely be the performance benchmark in the segment, especially for the money. Only time will tell who is correct, but I’m sure you’re as jacked as I am to see SUVs putting down such amazing numbers.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      09-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #53
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Sources such as MotorTrend and Road&Track have consistently put the Giulia at 3.9s to 60 MPH and those are the sources IMO that have the best real world tests. TV auto shows like Top Gear can't get anywhere nears those numbers and magazines like Car&Driver always have the fastest times that no one else can replicate. No doubt that the Giulia's performance on the track is impressive, but if I was on the market for a sedan, Alpha Romeo would have to work hard to convince me that it's reliability is on par with other manufactures to even consider it as an option. There are too many other options that perform just as well to justify taking a risk.

But we are not here to talk about sedans are we? Personally I am "jacked" that SAVs are finally getting the attention they deserve. The market over the next few years will be a very interesting one. In my current position, there is no other vehicle that checks all the boxes like the X3 M40i does.

I would be in a Macan Turbo right now if it wasn't too small. When the time comes, I will test drive them all...X3M, GLC63s, RSQ5, and the Stelvio. These are the SAVs that are at the right size and performance for me.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #54
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
But we are not here to talk about sedans are we? Personally I am "jacked" that SAVs are finally getting the attention they deserve. The market over the next few years will be a very interesting one. In my current position, there is no other vehicle that checks all the boxes like the X3 M40i does.

I would be in a Macan Turbo right now if it wasn't too small. When the time comes, I will test drive them all...X3M, GLC63s, RSQ5, and the Stelvio. These are the SAVs that are at the right size and performance for me.
You ought to also test drive the X4 M40i - a thoroughly tested N55 motor producing 365 HP with a pleasing "soundtrack" (all natural too). BTW - same motor, although slightly de-tuned, as they put in the M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #55
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
You ought to also test drive the X4 M40i - a thoroughly tested N55 motor producing 365 HP with a pleasing "soundtrack" (all natural too). BTW - same motor, although slightly de-tuned, as they put in the M2.
I did test drive an X4 M40i awhile back and it set me down the path of extending my lease until the X3 M40i was available.

2021 BMW X3MC
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50