BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #45
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: it varies on my mood 😊

Garage List
subbed...very interesting
 | Driving Assistance Pkg| Driving Assistance Plus Pkg | Executive Pkg | Premium Pkg | F & R Heated Seats
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
 | Adaptive M Suspension
 | M Sport Diff | H K sound
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:45 AM   #46
doublemint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Hoping that we will be able to buy the parts soon. So disappointing that manufacturers are doing this in North America.

Found this interesting video.
2019 BMW X3 M40i /// Alpine White | Cognac Vernasca Leather | Gray Popular Wood Trim | 21" | Driving Assistance Plus Package | Premium Package | Executive Package | Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot | Harman Kardon surround sound system
Appreciate 2
MechX3M40i1006.00
bmwetsu43.00
      12-13-2018, 03:29 AM   #47
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublemint View Post
Hoping that we will be able to buy the parts soon. So disappointing that manufacturers are doing this in North America.

Found this this interesting video.
I have wondered before how many accidents this causes in North America that simply wouldn't happen in the rest of the world because of the amber/red issue.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:59 AM   #48
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I'm all for amber turn signal at the back, BUT, not at the expense of reducing the size of brake light to unreasonably tiny, which in turn could create new problem.

So, my preference is to have car manufacturers fully utilize all the plastic real estate they have put in the back, using sufficient LED bulbs for both turn signal AND brake light, and not leave too much 'dummy, non functioning and unlit area' at the tail light assembly.

Side mirror mounted amber turn signal should also help reducing the 'ambiguity' concerns mentioned in the video, as well as partially solving the 'broken tail light' scenario. It used to be the norm that cars had no turn signal on the side in US.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #49
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I'm all for amber turn signal at the back, BUT, not at the expense of reducing the size of brake light to unreasonably tiny, which in turn could create new problem.
I feel the same way.
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      02-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #50
Lilliana
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Has anybody done the swap yet ? if so what coding was needed ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 03:19 AM   #51
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Coding most likely needed. I’m waiting for official BMW release of codes. Shops are 1.5 years behind. So most likely in 6+ months.

Anyone else tried yet? Anyone know supplier who can provide parts since Bimmer does not allow euro tail light parts to be sold at this point in time in US? I bet they will come at a premium in that case.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #52
Lilliana
Rep

Update on the euro/amber tail lights, got the light from europe and installed, Problem is the hard wiring in the US model is missing the turn signal light ( no cable there)for the outside light, you can modify wiring with not much touble if you want or use the US outside lights and use just the trunk light for the turnsignal. then coding can be then done for the turn signal and the rear fog light. lights are not to difficut to install just the trunk lights need to remove the insde trunck cover to get to the bolts holding them, the outside have two nuts on the back and 1 bolt from the inside. if you want the coder and were I got the light or have any quistions PM me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #53
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliana View Post
Update on the euro/amber tail lights, got the light from europe and installed, Problem is the hard wiring in the US model is missing the turn signal light ( no cable there)for the outside light, you can modify wiring with not much touble if you want or use the US outside lights and use just the trunk light for the turnsignal. then coding can be then done for the turn signal and the rear fog light. lights are not to difficut to install just the trunk lights need to remove the insde trunck cover to get to the bolts holding them, the outside have two nuts on the back and 1 bolt from the inside. if you want the coder and were I got the light or have any quistions PM me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:01 AM   #54
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sweet, thanks for going ahead and making the mod, Lilliana.

I have got the parts as well, for a total of five pieces (four rear lights, and the lights console, which includes the front and rear fog lights buttons). Let me know if missing anything. PMing you for coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #55
Lilliana
Rep

TheusBimmer PM you with instrutions.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:03 AM   #56
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
I take it you are with US military or diplomat, MSport_Jon?
Uhhh.... Something like that..!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 10:27 PM   #57
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
I've heard that the US lights actually have amber led's in them...just not activated. Reference:

He talks about an error occasional causing the tails to blink amber...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #58
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

The guy from the video is talking about issues and recalls happening on the "rear turn signals and what the problem is in the inboard vs the outboard signals in some cases they were of different colors. you have red on one and amber on the other and they would alternate simultanously and that was enough of a signal and often unfortunately other drivers were confused..."

The way I understand modern led lights work is that they emit only one color frequency through the plastic cover. If it's a red led strip light, even if you say put on top a green cover, it would not blend the color into brown. They don't work like the old bulbs, where you would have all color frequencies. Most likely the issue here it was a hardware or quality control issue (maybe some worker in the factory thought it would be okay to put European rear light on one hand and US rear light on the other hand not knowing the differences etc. or maybe the some EU rear lights simply went into the US batch causing the mismatch and not caught during QC). These are not the LED types where they can change color like you can find out there in the marketplace for your xmas trees or ambient mood lights inside of our X3 M40i. At least none that I know of. Again, this is my opinion and from what I hear in the automotive industry, not hard facts. I wish it were as easy as changing the ambient lights though for sure. Would save tons of resources.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #59
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Any news on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #60
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

It is doable, though I had it done at BMW indy shop as it needs some splicing and wire adding and then coding of lights.

The reason for the splicing/wire adding it's due to the fact that US turn lights are connected with the brake lights. So when you hit the brake, your regular red brake lights AND your red turn lights will turn on. You need to separate the signal sent from your breaks to your rear lights to only light up the regular red lights so that your European amber turn lights won't turn on when you hit the breaks.

Not every BMW indy shop is willing to do the job as they cannot guarantee a successful operation given that they don't have the proper coding. Make sure first and foremost the mechanic at the shop knows about changing tail lights and has already some experience in prior BMWs on swapping US to EU lights. As for coding, most professional coders should be able to tinker with it, though careful with your intelligent safety system.

Wouldn't be able to tell you more in re to the details of the electric stuff unfortunately and the reason why I left it in the capable hands of the BMW indy garage. No more than 3 hours work for physical labor. Coding might take longer or less, depending on experience.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #61
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheusBimmer View Post
It is doable, though I had it done at BMW indy shop as it needs some splicing and wire adding and then coding of lights.

The reason for the splicing/wire adding it's due to the fact that US turn lights are connected with the brake lights. So when you hit the brake, your regular red brake lights AND your red turn lights will turn on. You need to separate the signal sent from your breaks to your rear lights to only light up the regular red lights so that your European amber turn lights won't turn on when you hit the breaks.

Not every BMW indy shop is willing to do the job as they cannot guarantee a successful operation given that they don't have the proper coding. Make sure first and foremost the mechanic at the shop knows about changing tail lights and has already some experience in prior BMWs on swapping US to EU lights. As for coding, most professional coders should be able to tinker with it, though careful with your intelligent safety system.

Wouldn't be able to tell you more in re to the details of the electric stuff unfortunately and the reason why I left it in the capable hands of the BMW indy garage. No more than 3 hours work for physical labor. Coding might take longer or less, depending on experience.
I rather have the lights that we get in the US because the euro version brake lights are only the outside light per side.
In the US, both the light on the inside liftgate light and the one in the outside light operate. Much better for being seen from the rear when applying the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #62
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I rather have the lights that we get in the US because the euro version brake lights are only the outside light per side.
In the US, both the light on the inside liftgate light and the one in the outside light operate. Much better for being seen from the rear when applying the brakes.
I'm pretty sure if you brake hard, the whole thing lights up...can a Euro X3 confirm?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #63
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
I'm pretty sure if you brake hard, the whole thing lights up...can a Euro X3 confirm?
But the very hard braking lights are the same as the rear fog lights. US setup doesn't include the rear fog lights. Those would also illuminate under very hard braking worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:15 AM   #64
alexdm
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

Yes additional brake lights come on under hard braking. I have never found the smaller brake lights we have here in the UK hard to see at all - there is a high level brake light and they are significantly brighter than the rear tail lights - the suggestion you might miss them is just not the case.

I remember when I came to the US for the first time and saw the flashing red indicator lights. Now that you can miss and is, in my mind, very significantly less obvious than the amber ones. Very glad we don’t have those over here!
Appreciate 2
Fast400683.00
      04-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #65
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Has anyone completed the swap with full functionality?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #66
TheusBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Has anyone completed the swap with full functionality?
Yes I had it done and fully functional. See post above.
Appreciate 0