BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Activating Cornering lights: To be used as fog lights

I know the X3s all (well 99%) have LED foglights. Buuuuuut, maybe this can be used to augment what we already have. I guess it depends on where the light is actually dispersed and if activating the cornering lights for this will make it any brighter.

I did this on my M4 because they don't have an option for foglights. Works fairly well I must say. What neds up happening is that you can code the cornering lights to stay on (say, while the actual LED fogs are on) and up the intensity of the cornering lights to 100% (stock is just 20% I think)

On my M4 I whipped out my DSLR, used my wide-angle lens and popped open the sunroof. It actually surprised me how much more light is cast in front of the car. What this coding essentially does is use the existing cornering lamps we (us LED folk) have and make them do 2 things: turn them both on & increase them to 100%. You then use the switch above the Rear Foglight switch to activate it.

To help you with the proper coding values, here is a link to the original thread on this topic by larrylam646:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1213278

Here are some pics from my M4:

OFF

DSC_0117 by pllim08, on Flickr

ON

DSC_0120 by pllim08, on Flickr
      12-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

This is neat! This info would probably be useful for future X3M owners...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
SROC3
United_States
Rep

I'm personally going to try it on my X3 when it arrives.....just need to see if the coding can be combined with the actual foglight switch - so they BOTH work at the same time.
      12-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
I'm personally going to try it on my X3 when it arrives.....just need to see if the coding can be combined with the actual foglight switch - so they BOTH work at the same time.
Keep us posted! if it works out, you may have enough lights for a night time safari! :
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
I'd like to know how to get the cornering lights to activate with the turn signal like my old F25 (I know that just used the fog lights but still). The G01 just activates based based only on steering angle, it no longer activates the left cornering light if I'm in a left turn lane with my blinker on but the wheel I straight for example. It will now only activate ones I actually start turning past a certain degree.

Plus the F25 turned on the corner lights when reversing too, G01 does not.

Wonder if it can be coded
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #6
SROC3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by droftrah View Post
I'd like to know how to get the cornering lights to activate with the turn signal like my old F25 (I know that just used the fog lights but still). The G01 just activates based based only on steering angle, it no longer activates the left cornering light if I'm in a left turn lane with my blinker on but the wheel I straight for example. It will now only activate ones I actually start turning past a certain degree.

Plus the F25 turned on the corner lights when reversing too, G01 does not.

Wonder if it can be coded
My M4 cornering lights (stock) activates only on steering angle as well. And yes, that can all be coded. You just need to find the right peep to do it.