BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #133
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

My F31 only started engine if the car in front moved, AND ACC was active.
Perhaps earlier G01 software did the same, and more recent software also start the engine if ACC is not active?
Perhaps it can have something to do with if the radar is active, which it might be if pedestrian collision warning is active, and/or automatic PDC turn on if creeping up towards an object, etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #134
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarkov View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the ASS is intelligent enough to start the engine when the car in front of you moves. However, if you are the first car at the red light, it does not recognize light changing to green yet... :
This only works for me if I have Automatic cruise control enabled. Otherwise nothing happens and the engine remains off
Mine also doesn't start if the car in front of me takes off, It only does that if I have ACC on.
I see you are located in Canada. I wonder if it's a region related because I have all the necessary hardware and in Canada as well
Could be.
Maybe you guys can also check if you both have the latest softwares too? Not sure if the software versions have anything to do with the AI used to control ASS but I guess it won't hurt.
I live in Canada (Vancouver area, west coast boyee) and mine will auto start the engine when the car in front of me takes off, whether I'm in acc or not. love it. it's like a warning to get my ass in gear if I've been rooting around the glovebox for something.... or yelling at the kids in the back to keep it the f down. lol.
Someone posted a lot of technical doc on the G01, link here https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=24100347

Relevant to this specific question: Open the 2nd doc, G01 Powertrain pdf. Go to Chapter 5 'Engine Electrical System', section 5.3.2 and 5.3.3, it explains what Equipments are needed and what the car is supposed to do if the car ahead drives off.

If you still can't get it to work despite having all the needed equipment, then consult your genius at your dealer. It cannot be country specific since someone from Canada confirmed that it worked for him/her!

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #135
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Emergency Brake Light

Saw it on the manual under section Safety - Brake Force Display, additional brake light (the picture seems to indicate the rear fog light which I believe is inactive in US vehicles) will turn on during emergency braking to give additional warning to the car behind.

Never seen it in person and no way to peek while driving myself, wonder if other members had seen or noticed it...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #136
BabyDriver2019
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 30i Alpine White

All the new G20 reviews coming up recently seem to highlight the key fob feature where it deactivates after a period of inactivity (no-movement).

The G01 key already had that feature, I wonder why no reviews pointed that out during the past year.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #137
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDriver2019 View Post
All the new G20 reviews coming up recently seem to highlight the key fob feature where it deactivates after a period of inactivity (no-movement).

The G01 key already had that feature, I wonder why no reviews pointed that out during the past year.
Seems like most BMW Keyfobs received that feature in silence somewhere around March ..

And I guess BMW can't tell the journalists to broadcast out that feature, because some X3's have it, and some don't. Hard for the end consumer to tell them apart. But of course, for MY2019 countries it could be mentioned in the fine print ..

/n
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #138
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the ASS is intelligent enough to start the engine when the car in front of you moves. However, if you are the first car at the red light, it does not recognize light changing to green yet... :
This only works for me if I have Automatic cruise control enabled. Otherwise nothing happens and the engine remains off
Mine also doesn't start if the car in front of me takes off, It only does that if I have ACC on.
I see you are located in Canada. I wonder if it's a region related because I have all the necessary hardware and in Canada as well
Could be.
Maybe you guys can also check if you both have the latest softwares too? Not sure if the software versions have anything to do with the AI used to control ASS but I guess it won't hurt.
I live in Canada (Vancouver area, west coast boyee) and mine will auto start the engine when the car in front of me takes off, whether I'm in acc or not. love it. it's like a warning to get my ass in gear if I've been rooting around the glovebox for something.... or yelling at the kids in the b ack to keep it the f down. lol.
Someone posted a lot of technical doc on the G01, link here https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=24100347

Relevant to this specific question: Open the 2nd doc, G01 Powertrain pdf. Go to Chapter 5 'Engine Electrical System', section 5.3.2 and 5.3.3, it explains what Equipments are needed and what the car is supposed to do if the car ahead drives off.

If you still can't get it to work despite having all the needed equipment, then consult your genius at your dealer. It cannot be country specific since someone from Canada confirmed that it worked for him/her!

Good luck
I would like to update my "confirmation of feature working".

It doesn't. The car will only turn the engine on after ASS has turned it off if the car's safety systems detect the car ahead moving away. Meaning you have to be using a function that displays a detected car on the dash, in order for the engine to kick back on automatically.

I spent time playing around with it. and realized I used ACC in eco mode so much I just assumed it was normal operating parameters.

Sorry about that. feel like I have a bit of the proverbial egg on my face.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #139
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could be.
I live in Canada (Vancouver area, west coast boyee) and mine will auto start the engine when the car in front of me takes off, whether I'm in acc or not. love it. it's like a warning to get my ass in gear if I've been rooting around the glovebox for something.... or yelling at the kids in the b ack to keep it the f down. lol.

Good luck

It doesn't. The car will only turn the engine on after ASS has turned it off if the car's safety systems detect the car ahead moving away. Meaning you have to be using a function that displays a detected car on the dash, in order for the engine to kick back on automatically.

I spent time playing around with it. and realized I used ACC in eco mode so much I just assumed it was normal operating parameters.

Wait... didn't you comment yesterday that this feature is working for yo? Did I miss something here???
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #140
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could be.

Good luck

Wait... didn't you comment yesterday that this feature is working for yo? Did I miss something here???
Which is exactly why I retracted what I said. It was always working for me, but that's because I was always driving in evo mode with ACC on. I just assumed it's how it worked all the time. But if I'm not using ACC, then it's not detecting the car ahead, and doesnt appear to start the engine automatically when the car ahead pulls away.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #141
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could be.

Good luck

Which is exactly why I retracted what I said. It was always working for me, but that's because I was always driving in evo mode with ACC on. I just assumed it's how it worked all the time. But if I'm not using ACC, then it's not detecting the car ahead, and doesnt appear to start the engine automatically when the car ahead pulls away.
Do you use ACC even in normal stop and go, city or local street driving?

The reason I asked is, even if you push the button to turn ACC on, it is not active if you tap your brake to stop the car yourself in city driving (same as canceling normal cruise control). If you have your foot on the brake when the car is stopped, engine shuts off by ASS, then when the car in front of you moves away, ACC should not be responsible for restarting the engine since it's not active (your foot is on the brake to render it inactive). The engine re-starts because the AI behind ASS turn it back on.

Does this scenario apply to you? Making any sense?

If not, then your issue is either they turn this feature off for all Canadian cars, or common electronic gremlins among your cars. Have you or your fellow Canadian X3 owners check with local BMW genius or your own dealers on this? You already paid for all the equipments and you should expect it to work!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #142
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Could be.

Good luck

Which is exactly why I retracted what I said. It was always working for me, but that's because I was always driving in evo mode with ACC on. I just assumed it's how it worked all the time. But if I'm not using AeCC, then it's not detecting the car ahead, and doesnt appear to start the engine automatically when the car ahead pulls away.
Do you use ACC even in normal stop and go, city or local street driving?

The reason I asked is, even if you push the button to turn ACC on, it is not active if you tap your brake to stop the car yourself in city driving (same as canceling normal cruise control). If you have your foot on the brake when the car is stopped, engine shuts off by ASS, then when the car in front of you moves away, ACC should not be responsible for restarting the engine since it's not active (your foot is on the brake to render it inactive). The engine re-starts because the AI behind ASS turn it back on.

Does this scenario apply to you? Making any sense?

If not, then your issue is either they turn this feature off for all Canadian cars, or common electronic gremlins among your cars. Have you or your fellow Canadian X3 owners check with local BMW genius or your own dealers on this? You already paid for all the equipments and you should expect it to work!
I'm... not sure actually.

My normal driving routine right from the driveway is get the car going, hit ACC on the steering wheel, and then quickly crank the limit up to 60km/h and set distance to 1. I then only apply the brake if there's no car in front of me, otherwise I let the car brake. I usually tap resume if starting from stationary after hitting the brake (disables ACC), otherwise while stationary I use the speed toggle to activate ACC after its timed put and gone grey. it then will start the car and accelerate (or just accelerate if ASS hasn't shut off the engine).

As to if the engine will restart on it's own with a temp disabled ACC and foot on brake, I'm not sure. I think this needs to be tested now. both with foot on brake entire time, and auto hold on, so ACC is disabled, and no foot on brake (but car still statonary)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 07:25 PM   #143
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

lol, figured out the heated steering wheel and seats can be set to automatically turn on at a set temperature point......
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #144
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Seems like ASS is turning on the engine, if the car in front starts to move, regardless if ACC is active or not.
Perhaps it's enough to have the radar equipment (DA+ or separately optioned ACC) in the car, just not activated.

At first I thought it was because Lane Keeping Assist was active, and not ACC, and my foot on the brake. It tried without at the next red light, and yes. Engine turns on anyway when car in front move.
      12-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #145
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
As to if the engine will restart on it's own with a temp disabled ACC and foot on brake, I'm not sure. I think this needs to be tested now. both with foot on brake entire time, and auto hold on, so ACC is disabled, and no foot on brake (but car still statonary)
It might be coincidence, but my engine will often start when the car ahead starts to move. I am not using ACC, but I do have Auto Hold enabled (awesome feature, except when parking).
Appreciate 1
munna129.00
      12-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #146
HampshireUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i (2019)

In the first few weeks a few times due to the acoustic windscreen and side windows along with the refinement . Approaching a roundabout at the end of a 70 mph dual carriageway and realising I am still doing 60mph and running out of road
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:36 AM   #147
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Quote:
It might be coincidence, but my engine will often start when the car ahead starts to move. I am not using ACC, but I do have Auto Hold enabled (awesome feature, except when parking).
That's what it's designed to do, ACC or Auto Hold doesn't have to be on for it to work, in the manual it explains it under 'Intelligent Auto Start Stop' heading
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 04:46 AM   #148
redkite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0i MY19 Phytonic/Cognac

My Satnav commands seem to come from the left door speaker only ( UK nearside ). Its like the passenger talking at me to give me directions

Are all BMWs like that ?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #149
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
Seems like ASS is turning on the engine, if the car in front starts to move, regardless if ACC is active or not.
ASS will turn on the engine if it has been off for too long based a a bunch of condition.. for example battery going down because the air conditioning has been running on it for too long. So it may have just have been happenstance and not related to ACC
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #150
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Quote:
ASS will turn on the engine if it has been off for too long based a a bunch of condition.. for example battery going down because the air conditioning has been running on it for too long. So it may have just have been happenstance and not related to ACC
I know. And I am 100% sure it was not needed due to energy consumers.
      12-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #151
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redkite View Post
My Satnav commands seem to come from the left door speaker only ( UK nearside ). Its like the passenger talking at me to give me directions

Are all BMWs like that ?
mine's not.
      12-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #152
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Quote:
I know. And I am 100% sure it was not needed due to energy consumers.
mine seems to turn on every time a car in front of me starts moving so can't be a coincidence... no brake hold and no ACC on at the time I tried to consciously monitor it.
      12-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #153
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
This is a feature you get with ZDB. It's not auto-hold, ASS or anything (directly) related to ACC.

While the manual is silent on this point, I try to minimize auto-hold since it is a side-feature of the electronic parking brake. It actually sets the parking brake. I want to avoid wear on that brake from the auto release function which drags the brake just a smidgen when you accelerate away in order to determine when to release the parking brake.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #154
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Find the warning triangle behind the rear side panel.