BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #23
Snave01
M'ber
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘22 X3 M40i

My SA told me that the touchscreen is not part of my new build due to the shortage so that article is either stale or incorrect. If you check the X3 on BMW USA, touchscreen in not listed.

Quote:
Live Cockpit Professional features a 12.3" digital instrument cluster and 12.3" central information display.
      12-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #24
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik762 View Post
One thing I didn't realise is that the I Drive knob top has a 'pinch/zoom' function.
It would be useful if I could only remember it was there.
I don't think that works in CarPlay, though. I tried it and it doesn't work in Waze, at least.
      12-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #25
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snave01 View Post
My SA told me that the touchscreen is not part of my new build due to the shortage so that article is either stale or incorrect. If you check the X3 on BMW USA, touchscreen in not listed.
Yeah the article I read was about a week ago so probably stale info or BMW is adding more models. Sucks to buy a new car now with all these shortages. Although the touchscreen is not a big deal, I’m still driving my 335i and iDrive works great without touching screen. Although I don’t have CarPlay, I use a USB drive holding my 5000 songs with album artwork. It works well still at 10 yrs and going strong. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #26
CFonAir
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW '22 X3 M40i

Quote:
That's how it's always read.

I went back and pulled the page from as early as April, and it's never said "touchscreen." Even before they were removing touchscreens, they were using the language you quoted. I don't think it's indicative of anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #27
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFonAir View Post
Quote:

I went back and pulled the page from as early as April, and it's never said "touchscreen." Even before they were removing touchscreens, they were using the language you quoted. I don't think it's indicative of anything.
I was actually just about to say that! I've never seen it specifically mentioned either. I've been monitoring the deletions like a hawk since September, and have become very familiar with the ongoing changes. Ordered/cancelled a M40i in October due to 19" wheel issues and currently have a revised build scheduled for week 51. I don't see any differences between the two that would indicate a deletion.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #28
Snave01
M'ber
United_States
Rep

Except that he literally told me (via email) that the touchscreen will not be included in my build because of the chip shortage. Now, is the fact that it's not called out in the description a definitive indicator that all builds will be missing the touchscreen? Not necessarily, especially if it is a temporary thing. I don't know who else could tell me definitively that mine will or will not have it but mine is set to go into prod on Friday so I need to decide before then.
      12-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #29
Lmoney783
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesid View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I was actually just about to say that! I've never seen it specifically mentioned either. I've been monitoring the deletions like a hawk since September, and have become very familiar with the ongoing changes. Ordered/cancelled a M40i in October due to 19" wheel issues and currently have a revised build scheduled for week 51. I don't see any differences between the two that would indicate a deletion.
It's mind boggling to me that people keep saying it's deleted on the X3 when there is not a single person to experience it and it's not documented anywhere.
Appreciate 3
joesid80.00
arRod1981922.00
drjoe66329.00
      12-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #30
CFonAir
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesid View Post
Quote:
Except that he literally told me (via email) that the touchscreen will not be included in my build because of the chip shortage. Now, is the fact that it's not called out in the description a definitive indicator that all builds will be missing the touchscreen? Not necessarily, especially if it is a temporary thing. I don't know who else could tell me definitively that mine will or will not have it but mine is set to go into prod on Friday so I need to decide before then.
I'm certainly not saying the language on the website is indicative one way or another. I'm saying it very precisely is not indicative, as it's using the same language today as existed long before anyone was worried about losing touchscreen functionality.

There has been nothing public or categorical to the public about removing touchscreens from X3s, which is noteworthy since they've been public about other popular models. I could see an individual salesperson being confused on which was covered and which is not.

I have a vehicle "in production" right now and it's impossible to tell whether it's there or removed, because it isn't a feature they call out with specificity. If certainty is what you want, you're either going to have to wait, or walk away after delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #31
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Don't give CAs too much credit. Many get their info from rumors or just extrapolate. Most know a lot less than us, keyboard warriors on Bimmerpost, regarding the single model we have been researching for countless hours.

No hyperbole here: I've never encountered a CA that knew more about the model I was purchasing than me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #32
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Quote:
My last car had iDrive 6, and I almost never used the touch screen, unless I was using CarPlay. I've always found using the controller for CarPlay to be a bit like using the tab key to navigate a webpage.
The same for me. Typically only use the iDrive wheel except for CarPlay - note I'm talking about G30 5 series with iDrive 6 as my X3 is still on order…

CarPlay is rubbish without the touchscreen. Mind you, I'm not really a user of the voice control - although voice navi is great with the (BMW) navigation as you can say, e.g. "CostCo Watford" (or some other POI by name) and it finds it.

I might try the 'Hey BMW'(? - can't remember the trigger word) option in iDrive 7 a bit more once I get my car!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #33
earlgsxbusa
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: G02 X4 M40i - Dark Graphite

Garage List
2020 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
20' x4 m40i here. I found myself using the Touchscreen often as well as gesture and steering control. Use my Spotify / XM and NAV. I barely use the idrive control. It works great, just using Touchscreen and swiping works for me. I have a microfiber in the door so i clean the screen before i drive off. 2-3 Wipes is about it, i also have the screenprotector on it.
Appreciate 1
Snave01178.00
      12-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #34
BobBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 22

This is my first BMW and experience with iDrive. At first I found myself using the Touch screen often. I did not know where anything was at, so looking and touching was easier than spinning the controller. Now that I know where things are at, I use the controller (mostly). I dont use CarPlay much, but when I do, I still use the controller. My next options are usually the steering wheel controls or the gesture controls. Then finally the touchscreen. Voice is something that I would use more often, but the "smarts" is just not there.

The main reason for using the controller is that it I dont really need to adjust my seating position. The controller is right there. I have to lean forward to use the touchscreen...not much, but enough to make one easier.
Appreciate 1
Snave01178.00
      12-02-2021, 05:47 AM   #35
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
After using the iDrive controller in my 328 for 10 years, I have used my touch screen once in 9 months of my M40i ownership. IDrive is just second nature to me along with the much improved voice commands. Once you master the iDrive controller you glance, not stair at your touch screen trying to tap something while driving on a bad road!
Appreciate 1
Snave01178.00
      12-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #36
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Maybe it's market dependent?

From BMW UK -
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:03 AM   #37
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEDOM2020 View Post
IMO Touch screen and gesture control are useless, just another gimmick. Good if ya wanna keep a child occupied.
Better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:10 AM   #38
CFonAir
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Maybe it's market dependent?

From BMW UK -
By FAR the most likely thing is that the SA doesn’t know what he or she is talking about.
Appreciate 1
avi662759.50
      12-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #39
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

My 20 X3 M40 has a touch screen (I? think) but I never use it! I've been using Idrive since it came out in 2000 or 2001. Not sure if my 2017 440xi has a touch screen or not, as I mentioned, never use it and hate it.

I'd be delighted to save $500 w/o the touch screen - the newer idrive controllers work great.
Snave01178.00
      12-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #40
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

Seems like many (if not most) responders don't operate the iDrive system by "touching" the screen. Having said that, I personally want the "touch" feature included in the build even IF I never use it. I believe it's just a feature that should be available in a $50m plus vehicle....and the next owner might feel differently.
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #41
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

I prefer the dial control myself, but I do use the touchscreen occasionally. Kind of how I use my laptop, mouse and touchpad are primary, but sometimes I reach up and touch the screen (mostly just a weird muscle memory thing from using iPhones and iPads), so I'm glad touching it actually works.

Now my wife on the other hand, has a Jeep and it is all touchscreen. She is intimidated by the controller, and just uses touch when she is in the car. So it is nice to have both.
Appreciate 1
Snave01178.00
      12-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #42
CFonAir
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
I prefer the dial control myself, but I do use the touchscreen occasionally. Kind of how I use my laptop, mouse and touchpad are primary, but sometimes I reach up and touch the screen (mostly just a weird muscle memory thing from using iPhones and iPads), so I'm glad touching it actually works.

Now my wife on the other hand, has a Jeep and it is all touchscreen. She is intimidated by the controller, and just uses touch when she is in the car. So it is nice to have both.
My wife drives cars without controllers - all touchscreen/steering wheel controls. She can't figure out the iDrive controller for her life, since she doesn't drive that car much.

She would be totally baffled by the lack of a touch screen.
Appreciate 1
Snave01178.00
      12-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #43
Snave01
M'ber
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob175 View Post
Seems like many (if not most) responders don't operate the iDrive system by "touching" the screen. Having said that, I personally want the "touch" feature included in the build even IF I never use it. I believe it's just a feature that should be available in a $50m plus vehicle....and the next owner might feel differently.
This is true, and also I feel like those that use CarPlay tend to be more apt to use the touchscreen. Plus, like I said before, my passengers sometimes like to control the music or otherwise use the system which the controller is not conducive for that activity since it's designed for the driver to use.

I also agree, my GF would be clueless about using iDrive since doesn't drive my vehicle very often.

I appreciate everyone's input on the question I asked.
      12-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #44
kolobok
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X4 2022

My current car has no touchscreen (she is too old) and this is the main reason why I decided to change it
Seriously, I don't understand new cars with big screen and without touchscreen feature (like new Acura RDX, with touchpad). It's a different level of usage comfort.
But of course, somebody don't like this feature, people continue to use phones with buttons, why not.
Appreciate 1
Snave01178.00