BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Thumbs up Android on my 2016 BMW X3

Like many; I was frustrated with BMW not supporting Android. I looked at many other vehicles and almost bought a Volvo XC60.

Instead I purchased a new head unit that comes with Android 7.1 and allows me to use the I-Drive completely.

See here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ceBeautifyAB=0

The unit came within 15 days. The one downside was there was no documentation or support contact info.

I did internet search and youtube video search and found similar units, but they did not have Andorid 7.1 and the larger RAM.

Installation was fairly simple. No cutting of any wires. I did order a GPS splitter cable from AVINUSA.

The hardest part was getting the cable bundle out of the way to slide the BMW computer back in to the panel.

I also had to go in to the Setting menu and in to ADMINISTRATOR mode (Youtube Video to see how on AVINUSA) to pick the style of I-Drive menu for Android I wanted. You can also change the splash screen and many other settings.

I am now able to run WAZE on my screen. I can at the same time listen to any I-Drive audio too.

You can also watch videos from a USB drive or if you have LTE watch streaming.

While not a perfect solution; I like it. Far better than what BMW provides.

To switch back and forth between the BMW I-Drive and the Android side, you just hold the MENU Button down for 3 seconds.

So far; I can not install Android Auto. The device profile is not recognized by the Google APP Store and says it is not compatible on the device. I could sideload the APK, but I would rather run WAZE natively so I have all the features. I am also part of the WAZE beta so I can sideload those betas and check them out.

Check it out.
Appreciate 2
Crassus229.00
plymjack120.00
      10-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
aspame82
Mr
Peru
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 XDrive28i Xline 2017

Hi. The price sounds good. 375 usd!! I would appreciate you can give feedback about this:
1.-The screen size is 8.8 or 10.25 inches?
2.-in the Dashboard view: the speedometer changes when you select any driving mode (ecopro, comfort, sport)? I mean white color for Comfort, light blue color for eco and res color for Sport. It seems some android screens do the samwsame than the 6WB digital cluster.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine is 8.8 inches. I believe they have another model for the screen that sits on top of the dashboard not in it.

I did not buy the ODB-II Adapter. All the I-Drive software runs as it always does. You only see the Android side when you select it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

I do not have nav on my x3, holding the menu 3 sec to go in native android page and using Waze, that means there's a GPS chip , but wont work with BMW oem function ?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, the Android unit has GPS. It comes with an external GPS antenna. I decided to get a GPS Y Cable and use the GPS antenna that comes with the BMW. It is external and didn't have to mount the GPS antenna that came with the Screen. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 03:30 AM   #6
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

These days phones are so big that anytime I need to use Android Auto I just loaded it on the phone and slack it over the iDrive Screen.
      10-24-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

A interesting product - not sure I would put it in yet but maybe in a few years it might be a good update - I already have GPS but it may be a cheaper way to keep it up to date in future?
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0