BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Help me decide on a watch [TAG Heuer, Breitling]

So I am considering investing in a nice watch in the near future. Finally completed grad school and have a good income so I want to reward myself with something I can appreciate for a while.

I am primarily between TAGs and Breitling. I have lusted after TAGs for a while, but always considered them far out of my price range. When deciding on spending a couple thousand I realized for a few hundred more I could get a Breitling, which I think for the fit and finish alone is a reason to spend a few extra hundred. Only looking at automatics and I've tried them on but haven't been able to narrow it down any more.

I am looking for something versatile where I can switch up the band and have it be appropriate for most all occasions. Here's what I like:

TAG Heuer Carrera Twin Time

I like it because it's attractive but not in your face or pretentious. But I'm afraid I may get bored of it after a while.

TAG Heuer Carrera Heritage

A bit more attractive, less boring than the twin time. I love the textured dial and blued steel numbers. But when I tried it on I wasn't dying to have it.

TAG Heuer Aquaracer

Breitling Colt Automatic White or Navy

Such a quality time piece. The name says it all and it's beautifully constructed, solid, and weighty. I just don't want to come across as screaming for attention or douchy.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by jstnstr; 01-21-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Don't think wearing a Breitling presents an issue. Even a B&R Instrument watch appear classy.
Some of those Breitlings look really good in those pics.
I'm a little weary of blue faced watches, I like blue faces but not sure about owning one. I like blue bezel's
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

A TAG is a very nice watch aswell as a Breitling.
As for me Iam a Breitling fanatic and would always take a Breitling over a Tag but at the end it's personal preference I guess.

Let me tell you this though, I own a few watches but my dearest is my DD watch and that's my 2013 Breitling Superocean M2000.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Just to be different I'm going to point you in a similar but less traveled direction. . . Mido. Excellent automatic movement, not sold in Costco like Tag/Breitling cause they haven't hit the "mainstream" yet, but a very well respected international brand. Actually they are owned by the Swatch group so they are actually a sister company to Breitling, though I think as of now there are only two retailers in the US that are selling them (one in NY and one in Las Vegas).

I like being a little different personally You'll find a lot of their stuff is kind of unique and fun. My bezel is under the glass and operated by a second screw down crown. They also have this cool white one that is comparable to the Tag you posted up top: http://www.jomashop.com/mido-watch-m...C44aAkpD8P8HAQ

http://www.midowatch.com/
Attached Images

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions guys. Tried them on back to back and there is just no comparison with the Breitling. Absolutely gorgeous.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I think the uncomplicated Tag with the blue numbers is going to be your most versatile option. It's the one I'd pick from the bunch you noted. Not that any of the ones you noted are going to be bad choices. Each of them is a nice watch.

I'll tell you what I tell everyone who asks me a "which one should I get" question:
Try them all on first and narrow the list based on what feels most comfortable on your wrist. If, after that, you really don't have a preference among the ones you identified, buy the least expensive one.
That's the advice I give when I know there's not a substantive difference in quality, styling, construction or usability among the watches they say they are considering. And that's very much the case with the watches you've pictured.

Some folks may have differing views re: the brand prestige between Tag and Breitling. That's fine, but as watches, no matter their brand prestige, the only real difference between them is that the Breitlings you showed can be expected to yield chronometer grade timekeeping. The Tags may yield that same level of timekeeping, but as they aren't marked as "chronometers," Tag isn't "on the hook" for guaranteeing that they do. Mind you, chronometer performance is only promised so long as the watch is in a tip top state of repair/maintenance.

(As goes chronometer grade timekeeping, I can almost certainly assure you that your life will not be positively or negatively affected by the few seconds per day's worth of difference between a chronometer grade movement's accuracy and that of a non-chronometer grade one. If it will be adversely affected by that difference, I strongly advise you to buy a quartz watch instead of a mechanical one because no matter how good/accurate a mechanical movement is, you'll have to correct the time it displays at least once a month, more often depending on how "anal" you are about the watch showing the correct time.)

About the only thing I'd say to you re: the specific watches you identified is that you may want to look into the cost differential for having the GMT and chronograph watches serviced. Generally, the fees for maintenance are a good deal higher for complicated watches. They're not called "complications" for no reason. <wink> Also, whereas one can generally get by extending the recommended service intervals on an uncomplicated watch (time-only or time+date) for quite a few years beyond the typical three to five makers advise, doing that with a complicated watch is an act one undertakes at one's/the watch's peril.

What I find is that folks who really just want a nice watch that they don't have to put much thought (or money) into beyond wearing it day in and day out are best served by buying a nice, uncomplicated watch such as several of the ones you identified above. (One need not even spend Tag or Breitling money to get a nice watch, but if one of those is what you want, fine.) I generally suggest avoiding dive watches as one's "only watch" for they really aren't dress watches. That said, nobody is going to chide you for wearing a dive watch with a suit or dinner jacket; it's your own sartorial sensibilities that matter in that situation, and if you're okay with wearing a sport watch in a dressy situation, then fine.

You are keen on a Tag, and have been for a while, so I think that's what you should buy. You won't be content, or certain that a Tag isn't what you really want, until you buy one and wear it and decide first hand. You may as well buy it now for the price of new ones won't go down as years go by, and until you do buy one, you'll want one.

I sense that one final bit of info may be useful to you and it's this: there's not much of a correlation between price and quality when it comes to watches. Yes, below a certain price -- ~$500 -- watchmakers take various shortcuts in order to hit an MSRP that's in line with what their target customers will pay, and some of those shortcuts can result in a watch being a notably lower quality piece, while others have no material impact on the watch's performance and durabilty. Similarly above a certain price -- ~$6K -- the quality isn't going to get better, it's just that the extent of decorative features the watchmaker can include in the piece will be greater.

Between those two endpoints, the quality is more or less pretty consistent across brands, and it's not going to make too much difference what one chooses or spends unless one has some very specific reasons for needing this or that feature/functionality. The decoration of the movements will vary with price. Minor case and bracelet attributes will vary too. Some watches will be chronometer grade; some won't. Some will have folded end links; some will have solid end links. Yes, those are differences, but practically speaking, for most folks they don't make a difference in how the watch performs.

All the best.

PS
Have a look here -- http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-buying-guide/ - the whole Calibre 11 site for everything you could want to know about Tag watches.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
I buy from davidSW A+ AD.
Just an FYI: Jomashop's watches are grey market watches.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the advice Tony! I really appreciate it. And thanks to everyone else as well
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Wound all the chronographs in these pictures be using the eta 7750 (ebauche)

Particularly with something like a Blancpain chrono, that's a movement with price and service fee that I think you need to asses if you are really going to use the chrono function.

On the 7750 chrono it's the pushers or buttons that may be an issue if there is one.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Im not particulary a fan of Breitling so my vote is for the Tag Carrera Heritage.

Have you thought about Omega at all? I have 2 speedmasters and I love them.

On a side note, wow that Mido is one UGLY watch and nothing screams pretentious like buying something because its not "mainstream" yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Not a fan of Breitling and only tag I want is a monaco.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
On a side note, wow that Mido is one UGLY watch and nothing screams pretentious like buying something because its not "mainstream" yet.
I'm curious what you think of Graham watches?
I'm surprised you don't like the Mido, looks like a dive watch Breguet or Blancpain or JLC would make.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #13
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I'm curious what you think of Graham watches?
I'm surprised you don't like the Mido, looks like a dive watch Breguet or Blancpain or JLC would make.
I spent a little more time looking at the Mido watches. I'm still not a fan but they aren't as bad as I originally thought. I think whats throwing me off on them is the multiple chronograph buttons on each side and the left subdial. The left subdial doesn't seem to match the rest of the watch. The watch is very sporty overall while the left subdial seems very classic, almost Movado like. And chronograph buttons on both sides is too much for my taste.

Overall Graham watches aren't really my style either. I prefer a less busy watch face with chronograph buttons that aren't as "in your face". Although the Grahams Silverstone Time Zone Automatic is pretty nice looking.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I spent a little more time looking at the Mido watches. I'm still not a fan but they aren't as bad as I originally thought. I think whats throwing me off on them is the multiple chronograph buttons on each side and the left subdial. The left subdial doesn't seem to match the rest of the watch. The watch is very sporty overall while the left subdial seems very classic, almost Movado like. And chronograph buttons on both sides is too much for my taste.

Overall Graham watches aren't really my style either. I prefer a less busy watch face with chronograph buttons that aren't as "in your face". Although the Grahams Silverstone Time Zone Automatic is pretty nice looking.
You wouldn't be the first person to jump to a conclusion about a watch or watch company. You won't be the last either. Probably the most common misconceptions I encounter are folks thinking (1) Audemars Piguet make only Royal Oaks and Royal Oak Offshores and (2) that Rolex only make Oyster models. Why folks think that, I cannot say for sure. I presume they just never bothered to check out the makers' websites and find out whether what they perceive to be so is so.

Kudos to you for taking the time to look at a maker's full range of offerings before passing judgment. Many folks miss out on some really fine watches throughout the spectrum of what's available in the marketplace.

I happen to think a Mido is just fine. What is there to think about them? They are well made; they have solid, reliable and easily maintained movements inside. One likes the look of any given model or one doesn't, and if one likes the looks of one of them, there's not much to think about, and there's not much reason not to buy it. If one is looking for something horologically special or important, one should look elsewhere. That's about it, but that's not especially different from most of what Tag and Breitling offer, or what 90% of the rest of the watch industry offers.

Personally, every time I want to buy a watch, I'm not necessarily needing to buy a "meaningful" one. I suspect most folks when they are in the market for a new watch don't especially require "significance" either. If watch collecting isn't a hobby or professional interest of theirs, why would they? Even a lot of folk who do buy "significant" watches really just want something they expect will be relatively uncommon, nice and luxurious. Something that makes them feel good for having/wearing it.

All the best, and again, kudos. I mean that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #15
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

BTW
Graham have produced some really remarkable pieces. As usual, one has to dig a little to get a good sense of them. The moon phase watch they shared with Arnold & Son is really something to behold.

I'm not nuts about the canteen crowns they often have used, and I can't imagine "sweater wearers" caring much for them. But if that's someone's collecting "thing," well, there're only a handful of modern makers that offer it. Graham is one of them.

And that's probably the key take-away: collectors have all sorts of themes that drive what they collect. Some watch collectors collect only watches that depict dogs on the dial, others may collect green watches, others may be into a particular brand. The list of collection themes is endless. When you come across somewhat odd watches or motif watches, just remember that, for the most part, that watch is made with collectors in mind more so than for the masses. I know it's not always easy to keep that in mind; I've failed to do so on occasion too.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #16
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
BTW
Graham have produced some really remarkable pieces. As usual, one has to dig a little to get a good sense of them. The moon phase watch they shared with Arnold & Son is really something to behold.

I'm not nuts about the canteen crowns they often have used, and I can't imagine "sweater wearers" caring much for them. But if that's someone's collecting "thing," well, there're only a handful of modern makers that offer it. Graham is one of them.

And that's probably the key take-away: collectors have all sorts of themes that drive what they collect. Some watch collectors collect only watches that depict dogs on the dial, others may collect green watches, others may be into a particular brand. The list of collection themes is endless. When you come across somewhat odd watches or motif watches, just remember that, for the most part, that watch is made with collectors in mind more so than for the masses. I know it's not always easy to keep that in mind; I've failed to do so on occasion too.

All the best.
From a strictly appearence perspective that watch just looks terrible to me. It seems like the kind of thing a rapper would wear if he is trying to look flashy in a video or something like that.
Like I said that from a strictly visual perspective. I dont know much about the mechnanics/engineering of the watch so I cant judge them. When it comes to watches I like a more subtle approach and a bright blue watch with gems just isnt it haha
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #17
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
From a strictly appearence perspective that watch just looks terrible to me. It seems like the kind of thing a rapper would wear if he is trying to look flashy in a video or something like that.
Like I said that from a strictly visual perspective. I dont know much about the mechnanics/engineering of the watch so I cant judge them. When it comes to watches I like a more subtle approach and a bright blue watch with gems just isnt it haha
Respect your opinion. For conversation this blue Graham watch has a TURBILLION the round mechanical disc at 6:00. Except for some Chinese or Russian builds, most TURBILLION watches start in the mid five figure price range and go up, six figure turbillions are the norm.
Yeah, celebrities with big incomes will show off pieces like this - and I also cringe when peeps buy for bling. However, watch collectors also gravitate toward these limited edition pieces. But simpler watches, I prefer also, though I don't have any timepieces cause of an iPhone.

I think you would be surprised and like the mechanical Grande Seiko watches. They're simple and very desirable but they are expensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough.

I admit to preferring the Arnold and Son versions, but as both are long since sold out (I think each maker offered 20 pieces), it's a moot point now.

FWIW, the movement was in all probability made by La Joux-Perret, the movement maker who acquired British Masters, which was the owner of the Arnold & Son and Graham until 2010, which, IIRC, is when the watch was released.

Arnold & Son was later sold to Citizen. I don't know if Graham was too. (I've never been that "into" Graham, so I haven bothered to find out.)

The price for the basic version of the Grand Moon watch was the same from each maker at ~$280K.)

You can read more about it here in Graham's press release:
When one looks at what both companies offer these days, you see the overlap is all but gone. <wink>

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #19
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Appreciate the post^above and link - excellent information.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #20
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Both very informative posts, thank you. I had a feeling the watch was expensive but 280k?! Thats a little out of my price range even if I did like the way it looks hahah.

I am familiar with the Grand Seiko line and I do like them. They are very elgant looking and the price isnt unreasonable.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #21
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Both very informative posts, thank you. I had a feeling the watch was expensive but 280k?! Thats a little out of my price range even if I did like the way it looks hahah.

I am familiar with the Grand Seiko line and I do like them. They are very elgant looking and the price isnt unreasonable.
Listen, you wanted wether a Breitling or a Tag, right?

I'm suggesting you a Breitling Superocean and you will be happy!
Go and get it man, you won't be disapointed.
Do the right, life is alway's about doing the right choices but jumping around beeing undecided lead's only to wrong decision's, specially when ask for two certain watches and people start bringing up a billion other's!

Do yourself a favour and benefit your eye's so they can, whenever you want look at a beautiful developed and designed watch to check the time, do that on a Breitling -Period-

Breitling my friend...will keep you focused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #22
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Listen, you wanted wether a Breitling or a Tag, right?

I'm suggesting you a Breitling Superocean and you will be happy!
Go and get it man, you won't be disapointed.
Do the right, life is alway's about doing the right choices but jumping around beeing undecided lead's only to wrong decision's, specially when ask for two certain watches and people start bringing up a billion other's!

Do yourself a favour and benefit your eye's so they can, whenever you want look at a beautiful developed and designed watch to check the time, do that on a Breitling -Period-

Breitling my friend...will keep you focused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Um no I am not interested in either watch. I am not the OP hahaha.

Appreciate 0