BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2022, 09:31 AM   #1
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

Disappointing first public charge

Today is the first time I have ever had to use a public charger.

Drove 110 miles from full charge
Turned on battery preconditioning 15 mins before arrival
Connected up to a BP pulse 150KW CCS charger
Outside temp is 12C
Currently 27 mins into charging and speed sits between 31KW and 33KW

Anything obvious I have overlooked?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:37 AM   #2
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 Pro

Have yet to use a public charger so unable to help in guidance.
Can understand your disappointment after finding a 150KW charger.
Will be very interested in the replies
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #3
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

I doubt there is anything you've overlooked, it is sometimes luck of the draw whether the charger is functioning correctly.

Take a look for the charger on zap map and see if anyone else has reported issues as it might just be a dud charger.

I had similar at an IONITY but when I switched to the charger left to it my speed shot up to >100kwh
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 12:24 PM   #4
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I would contact customer services and ask for some discount.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

I think you need to enable the preconditioning much earlier, at least 30 mins before charging. Also if you state of charge was >50% you won’t get close to 150kW, more like 75kW. You need to run the battery soc lower
https://insideevs.com/news/501674/bm...ging-analysis/
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #6
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

My SOC was 48% when I started. Charged for 47 mins and remained at 35KW throughout. Multiple ZapMap reviews complained about this charger being slow so maybe that was the issue..

Return trip I stopped off at a gridserve charger - 125KW. SOC was 44% and I had a 20 min charge at 44KW.

Both charges today did not change in power output. The finishing charge was identical to the starting charge…
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 06:30 AM   #7
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
I would contact customer services and ask for some discount.
They advertise the speed as “up to”, so I don’t think there will be any discount forthcoming. Plus the price in the U.K. is per kWh used. On the continent, so chargers are priced per minute you are connected.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #8
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJon View Post
I think you need to enable the preconditioning much earlier, at least 30 mins before charging. Also if you state of charge was >50% you won’t get close to 150kW, more like 75kW. You need to run the battery soc lower
https://insideevs.com/news/501674/bm...ging-analysis/
Maybe this graph makes the efficient use of HPC clearer.
As you see the lower your SoC at start, the higher the efficiency in charging
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #9
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Also, remember, BP's chargers are awful as a rule. Never had a decent speed charge off them, the 50's give 35, so do the 150's. They balance the load on their infra at sites a lot in my experience, so if there's anyone else charging or it's a 'peak' time of the day then good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #10
Jim761
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5dmsport f48 X3 E83 ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Also, remember, BP's chargers are awful as a rule. Never had a decent speed charge off them, the 50's give 35, so do the 150's. They balance the load on their infra at sites a lot in my experience, so if there's anyone else charging or it's a 'peak' time of the day then good luck.
Bp was good to get with the car when bought couple weeks ago, but up here they are few and far between and only 7kw if you can use it and my first use of it the card would not work so had to wait to get new one would like to ask when charging does your car stop charging when you lock the and go for walk my one does so have to sit and wait in car yet if charging from home not a problem it'll charge all night locked strange.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 03:51 AM   #11
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim761 View Post
Bp was good to get with the car when bought couple weeks ago, but up here they are few and far between and only 7kw if you can use it and my first use of it the card would not work so had to wait to get new one would like to ask when charging does your car stop charging when you lock the and go for walk my one does so have to sit and wait in car yet if charging from home not a problem it'll charge all night locked strange.
The car stops charging when you unlock the doors for some strange reason. On a home charger it should start charging again when you relock. But on public chargers, you often have to reinitiate the charging process with the smart card etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 07:54 AM   #12
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Chargers and banks of chargers are often sharing an upstream supply with a current limit that they have to share and manage between them.

Some brands (Tesla for example) have strict rules on the installation to protect their brand and will spend a lot on the electrical infrastructure (even mini-substations) to ensure all the Superchargers will perform within a tolerance of their advertised performance. Other charging brands will just use whatever infrastructure is available, which at a commercial premises will likley be a standard 3-phase commercial supply which may even be shared with the commerical premises itself. If so, the current draw has to be monitored and managed between all the consumers.

So reports of 'faulty' chargers that do not routinely perform to their advertised speeds are often not faulty at all, they are just unable, by the design of the installation, to perform to their max level unless the conditions are 'perfect' - i.e. you are the only car charging and the rest of the usage on the local supply is low.

You can often get a good idea of the ability of an installation by how much work has been done - if it's a brand new Ionity installation with a massive sub-station transformer next to it, then you've got a good chance of a full speed charge.

If it's a small installation shoved at the edge of a garage forecourt or supermarket car park, then probably not, unless the conditions are perfect.

Last edited by supersebbo; 04-15-2022 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
So reports of 'faulty' chargers that do not routinely perform to their advertised speeds are often not faulty at all, they are just unable, by the design of the installation, to perform to their max level unless the conditions are 'perfect' - i.e. you are the only car charging and the rest of the usage on the local supply is low.

If it's a small installation shoved at the edge of a garage forecourt or supermarket car park, then probably not, unless the conditions are perfect.
^^^

This is my understanding. I'm aware of a 3 charger installation where the first car can get a decent charge, but add others... the 2nd and 3rd are therefore cut back. Power supply to the installation is limited, it is as simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 03:32 AM   #14
Jim761
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.5dmsport f48 X3 E83 ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
The car stops charging when you unlock the doors for some strange reason. On a home charger it should start charging again when you relock. But on public chargers, you often have to reinitiate the charging process with the smart card etc.
Thanks for the tip never even thought about reinitiate when came back to car after walk on that occasion dint have time to wait to charge again, So in future will wait and double check before walking of to give it time to charge.
Appreciate 0