BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Arianne
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC60 R-design

From Volvo XC60 R-design to BMW X4 35d M-sport?

Dear All,

This is my first post, having just been allowed to join the forum by the Moderators - so be gentle!

I live in Scotland. For you guys in the US that's a little country in the north of Great Britain (which compared to the USA is also itself 'little'). I have a Volvo XC60 R-design which we will be changing in March 2017. We've tried a Porsche Macan Diesel S and we also tried a BMW X3 30d M-sport with variable damper control. We don't like the X3 styling (which is changing next year) but we do like the X4. So the BMW test drive was a first proxy for the X4. if we want to find out more we'll track down a BMW X4 demonstrator for a proper test drive, perhaps 24hrs or so.

Anyway, to my point. On my Volvo XC60 forum here in the UK there is a lively debate about the X4, as you would expect. Some is a bit lightweight but then this post came in from an ex-BMW X3 M-sport 35d owner who traded the car after just ten months from new (big financial hit). He disliked the tendency for the BMW to tramline along with some other issues - see below.

I would ask the UK BMW X4 owners but these cars are a bit rare over here where they haven't really captured the mood of us Brits, except me & a few others! So I found your site, mainly USA powered, and thought I would ask you. After all, over the last 100yrs or so that's tended to be the pattern which is that we ask you guys to help out from time to time!

So can you tell me what it's like to live with your X4s? I know your cars will be petrol engine and not diesel but that's okay. Specifically, I am interested in the issues raised in the post below and the matter of the tramlining. These issues are unconnected with the engine that's under the bonnet. Of particular interest are any of you with the bigger engine cars along with the wider, run-flat tyres.

Your help is much appreciated, as ever.

Thanks, Arianne

Here's the posts from the UK Volvo forum:

I haven't read all the previous comments on here, but have seen the mention of the X3 in the title.

Ignore if it's already been discounted, but I bought a brand new X3 35d M Sport 313bhp a couple of years ago on a 13 plate.

Technically a very good machine, but I ended up moving it on after 10 months as I found it really difficult to live with. Having paid a ridiculous sum of money for it, I was disappointed with the cheap plastics in the cabin, wind noise intrusion and the insanely bad levels of tram lining. The X models are built in the USA and I don't think QC is as good as the German factories.

Bought a 2004 V70 D5 and held on to that for a couple of years whilst we needed a cavernous estate for tip runs etc whilst renovating a house, and having served its purpose it's now on the way out and I pick up my new VW Passat Estate BiTurbo 4 Motion (the 240ps BiTdi engine that someone mentioned further up that comes with the new Tiguan)

The interior seems a nicer place to be the the X3 - comparing 10 months of X3 ownership to the Passat demonstrator I was lent by my dealership. Little things like the felt/flock lined cubby holes and soft touch plastics that the BMW didn't have much of.

We also had the new Q7 on loan for 3 days before we decided on the Passat. Hated it. Mrs S60Chris decided we should have an estate before we got the chance to try the XC90 (Gutted about not being able to go for a test drive)

Just goes to show, it's all subjective. Perception of quality and all that.

To answer your points, the tram lining wasn't anything to do with the torque - but an inability for the BMW to be driven in a straight line without constant correction. It got to the stage where I could put our XC60 through a good driving road quicker than my X3 simply for the fact the X3 made you think it was going to throw you into every single ditch you passed. It would follow every undulation every bump every crevice in the road and made for a tiring experience. It was probably a combination of run flat tyres, unforgiving suspension (even though I had specced the Variable Dampers) and it being a BMW. I found it really hard work. And it wasn't particularly comfortable.

I had moved into the X3 from a 530d Touring (F11) which was built much better - hence my comments about German vs USA build quality. Also worth considering is that you can throw a lot of money at an X3 but essentially it's still only '3' out of '7' in the lineup and the quality is reflected as such. A cheaper product in the '5' range will be much more special inside than '3' or '4'. Mine ended up being taken out by the master tech at the dealer trying to diagnose why when driving it sounded like the window was slightly ajar. They couldn't solve it. I also payed £1000+ for the premium sound system. It was awful compared to the standard setup in the XC60. I expect that is still the same.

I found the 5 series similar in it's driving style and throughout my ownership of both vehicles found myself paying to have the tracking & wheel alignment checked as I was convinced it was wrong. It never was.

It was a difficult decision, I lost about £10,000 moving it on but the alternative was to live with a car I didn't enjoy and resent my purchase whilst watching it depreciating further. I vowed never to buy another BMW, despite some very attractive offers being available to me.

That's part of the reason I stuck two fingers up to modern cars for a while and spent the best £3,000 i've ever spent on my old V70 barge. Worth it's weight in gold and I'll be sorry to see it go.

I understand the current X3 and X4 lineup are much the same as mine and have just had a mid life revision. I expect the drivetrain and tech are exactly the same. I have sat in the facelift variant, it was 90% the same with a few small revisions. I believe the X4 is just an X3 with a coupe style shell on the back, nothing different other than that. Interiors will be identical.

Mine had the different size wheels too, larger on the back. Traction was never, ever and issue. I could bury my foot in the carpet in the wet and never spin a tyre - but staying on the road at speed took much more concentration.

To balance though, the engine and gearbox as you say are excellent in the BMW. The 35d lump is a peach (as is the 30d lump I had in the 5 Series before to be fair) - if only I could have transplanted it into a different car.

Also worth bearing in mind that the new 2017/2018 3 series is currently being road tested, a platform that I bet the new X3 will be based on so don't be surprised if the current X3 only has a couple of years before it's old hat.

Why not wait for the new XC60 which will be here in a couple of years?

Next time you road test the X3 or X4, put it through a difficult set of bends at pace. Then do the the same route at pace in the XC60. I bet you'll see what i'm on about once you can look past the outright speed of the thing.

Saying that, if you don't have the same issues as me then go for what is right for you - if you like it, ignore everyone on here and go with what you prefer!

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:42 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

There is some INFO on thread: Lowered X4 that might be of interest to you.
I wrote that and is still - after lowering and Klappenshalldämpfer - happy with my X4.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
I live in Scotland. ... I have a Volvo XC60 R-design which we will be changing in March 2017. We've tried a Porsche Macan Diesel S and we also tried a BMW X3 30d M-sport with variable damper control. We don't like the X3 styling (which is changing next year) but we do like the X4....
... this post came in from an ex-BMW X3 M-sport 35d owner who traded the car after just ten months from new (big financial hit). He disliked the tendency for the BMW to tramline along with some other issues - see below. ... So can you tell me what it's like to live with your X4s? I know your cars will be petrol engine and not diesel but that's okay. Specifically, I am interested in the issues raised in the post below and the matter of the tramlining. ... Thanks, Arianne
Here's the post from the UK Volvo forum:

...I bought a brand new X3 35d M Sport 313bhp a couple of years ago on a 13 plate. Technically a very good machine, but I ended up moving it on after 10 months as I found it really difficult to live with. Having paid a ridiculous sum of money for it, I was disappointed with the cheap plastics in the cabin, wind noise intrusion and the insanely bad levels of tram lining. The X models are built in the USA and I don't think QC is as good as the German factories.

... the tram lining wasn't anything to do with the torque - but an inability for the BMW to be driven in a straight line without constant correction. It got to the stage where I could put our XC60 through a good driving road quicker than my X3 simply for the fact the X3 made you think it was going to throw you into every single ditch you passed. It would follow every undulation every bump every crevice in the road and made for a tiring experience. It was probably a combination of run flat tyres, unforgiving suspension (even though I had specced the Variable Dampers) and it being a BMW. I found it really hard work. And it wasn't particularly comfortable.

... I found the 5 series similar in it's driving style and throughout my ownership of both vehicles found myself paying to have the tracking & wheel alignment checked as I was convinced it was wrong. It never was. It was a difficult decision, I lost about £10,000 moving it on but the alternative was to live with a car I didn't enjoy and resent my purchase whilst watching it depreciating further. I vowed never to buy another BMW, despite some very attractive offers being available to me.

...Traction was never, ever and issue. I could bury my foot in the carpet in the wet and never spin a tyre - but staying on the road at speed took much more concentration. ... Saying that, if you don't have the same issues as me then go for what is right for you - if you like it, ignore everyone on here and go with what you prefer!
Welcome to XBimmers forum, Arianne. Whilst your question is about the X4 (which I have never driven), your quoted post involves the X3 so I wished to respond. The writer's final sentence sums up what is often the case with vehicle ownership, for our experience with the X3 is nearly polar opposite. My wife and I have owned three of the 2nd gen X3 models - 2011 35i, 2012 35i, and a 2015 35i (the latter two we still have). Although it can certainly be argued the interior is not as 'high-end' as many of the other BMWs (or other Mnfrs' offerings) we have owned, it is quite fine for our needs and the superb engineering, performance, handling, and overall utility have been excellent. We have never had difficulty 'maintaining a straight line' as your quoted writer indicates. As with any complex machine it seems an occ 'lemon' can come off the production line, so perhaps that was the case with his experience.

We are excited about the G01 (3rd gen) X3 coming out in a year or so (no one seems to know for sure exactly when it will be in show rooms), and plan on purchasing our 4th X3 at that time. So in sum, whilst I haven't directly addressed your X4 question, I did wish to share an alternative view to the X series of vehicles made in South Carolina and place, what has been for us at least, a most positive spin on this line.

Best wishes in your decision, and welcome again.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #4
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Hi Arianne,

I will add my experience.

Starting 7 years ago in BMW world, with:
E91 335i Manual - Msport - 18" wheels - 3 years 170'000km
F25 35i Auto - Msport - 19" wheels - 3 years 165'000km
F26 35i Auto - Msport - 20" wheels - 1,5 year 70'000km

All three cars had sunroof, F25 and F26 almost full loaded.

When I took the X4, I noticed a few improvements over the X3. Improvement that I believe has been applied too on the X3 after facelift. In the X4, the outside noise has been a lot reduced compared to the X3 (F25) before Facelift. Of Course the Panoramic Sunroof of the X3 wasn't helping with noise reduction and it property of crackling sound all time. Outside Mirrors have been redesigned and make less noise. I will say the main noise coming from outside is the runflat tires. And the more they are used, the more they make noise. Sometime, I miss the X3 in which I could hear clearly the sound of the engine. Where you are allowed to drive at high speed, you will hear Wind noise from 160 km/h and above. But even at topspeed you will hear more the Wind than the engine. But please remember we are talking of SUV not sportcars.

I really like the steering, it is so comfortable for long distance trips. A children game to park your car, and if you want a so called "more contact with road" you can always activate Sport or Sport+ modes. Once I had for a day a Mini with the regular steering system, it was a pain on the highway. I was on the right lane where all trucks shape the road, and I had to fight with the steering wheel to keep the car on straight line. Always making corrections. Ok I really felt the contact witht the road, but come on after 50km it is boring. Making 600 km in these conditions, no way!

Dynamic Damper Control was/is on both X3 and X4 and work(ed)s well. Of course the bigger wheels you will choose, the less comfort you will have. But it is still comfortable, even with 20". I use to load my car with goods between 300 to 400 kg and you will be surprised to discover how good DDC is. It is probably in this kind of situation when your car has 4 ppl inside with a few lugagges in the trunck that you will notice the comfort.

Within the 70'000km I have done with my X4, I have no real issue. Once a bug on the display cluster, when all lower part of the display turned off. But no error message came, and after stopping the car, turning off the engine and leaving the car for 10 minutes, the bug did not came again.

If I had one issue to address for the X4 (except the engine sound I can hear enought), an issue I had already with the X3 F25. The foam used on the door next to the Window, and where i like to put my left elbow when I drive, is sort of too soft. And with the time and the weight, the foam get deformed which is not nice.

Time for you to make a test drive at your local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Arianne
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Welcome to XBimmers forum, Arianne. Whilst your question is about the X4 (which I have never driven), your quoted post involves the X3 so I wished to respond. The writer's final sentence sums up what is often the case with vehicle ownership, for our experience with the X3 is nearly polar opposite. My wife and I have owned three of the 2nd gen X3 models - 2011 35i, 2012 35i, and a 2015 35i (the latter two we still have). Although it can certainly be argued the interior is not as 'high-end' as many of the other BMWs (or other Mnfrs' offerings) we have owned, it is quite fine for our needs and the superb engineering, performance, handling, and overall utility have been excellent. We have never had difficulty 'maintaining a straight line' as your quoted writer indicates. As with any complex machine it seems an occ 'lemon' can come off the production line, so perhaps that was the case with his experience.

We are excited about the G01 (3rd gen) X3 coming out in a year or so (no one seems to know for sure exactly when it will be in show rooms), and plan on purchasing our 4th X3 at that time. So in sum, whilst I haven't directly addressed your X4 question, I did wish to share an alternative view to the X series of vehicles made in South Carolina and place, what has been for us at least, a most positive spin on this line.

Best wishes in your decision, and welcome again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANK_CH View Post
Hi Arianne,

I will add my experience.

Starting 7 years ago in BMW world, with:
E91 335i Manual - Msport - 18" wheels - 3 years 170'000km
F25 35i Auto - Msport - 19" wheels - 3 years 165'000km
F26 35i Auto - Msport - 20" wheels - 1,5 year 70'000km

All three cars had sunroof, F25 and F26 almost full loaded.

When I took the X4, I noticed a few improvements over the X3. Improvement that I believe has been applied too on the X3 after facelift. In the X4, the outside noise has been a lot reduced compared to the X3 (F25) before Facelift. Of Course the Panoramic Sunroof of the X3 wasn't helping with noise reduction and it property of crackling sound all time. Outside Mirrors have been redesigned and make less noise. I will say the main noise coming from outside is the runflat tires. And the more they are used, the more they make noise. Sometime, I miss the X3 in which I could hear clearly the sound of the engine. Where you are allowed to drive at high speed, you will hear Wind noise from 160 km/h and above. But even at topspeed you will hear more the Wind than the engine. But please remember we are talking of SUV not sportcars.

I really like the steering, it is so comfortable for long distance trips. A children game to park your car, and if you want a so called "more contact with road" you can always activate Sport or Sport+ modes. Once I had for a day a Mini with the regular steering system, it was a pain on the highway. I was on the right lane where all trucks shape the road, and I had to fight with the steering wheel to keep the car on straight line. Always making corrections. Ok I really felt the contact witht the road, but come on after 50km it is boring. Making 600 km in these conditions, no way!

Dynamic Damper Control was/is on both X3 and X4 and work(ed)s well. Of course the bigger wheels you will choose, the less comfort you will have. But it is still comfortable, even with 20". I use to load my car with goods between 300 to 400 kg and you will be surprised to discover how good DDC is. It is probably in this kind of situation when your car has 4 ppl inside with a few lugagges in the trunck that you will notice the comfort.

Within the 70'000km I have done with my X4, I have no real issue. Once a bug on the display cluster, when all lower part of the display turned off. But no error message came, and after stopping the car, turning off the engine and leaving the car for 10 minutes, the bug did not came again.

If I had one issue to address for the X4 (except the engine sound I can hear enought), an issue I had already with the X3 F25. The foam used on the door next to the Window, and where i like to put my left elbow when I drive, is sort of too soft. And with the time and the weight, the foam get deformed which is not nice.

Time for you to make a test drive at your local dealer.
Thank you both so much. We have a 120kph / 70mph maximum speed limit here in the UK so the wind noise from the mirrors shouldn't be an issue until we hit the German autobahn, unrestricted sections when the car can be opened up properly. We do pan-European trips twice a year to Austria or Switzerland for skiing or mountain walking in The Alps.

We will proceed with the test drive.

One last thing, our car is likely to be well specified with options. One of them is the sunroof. Did I read you correctly that the sunroof can sometimes be a source of wind noise - I mean when it's closed not open!

Thanks again for you help, from across the globe.

Arianne
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 02:17 AM   #6
Mungogrubb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 30D MSport, Carbon Black

Arianne,

There's nothing like a test drive for yourself and your own impressions. I have a 30d MSport X4 on 20" wheels with variable dampers and I love it!
I am also in the UK on our shitty roads and have had some tram lining but nothing more than I'd expect. We did a trip to the French Alps a few weeks back and it was amazing very comfortable and relaxing to drive despite atrocious weather.

Go on take a test drive you'll love it too
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
Arianne
Rep

Mungogrubb ,

Thanks for posting a reply. Good to know that the forum is truly global, including Northamptonshire!

I think that pretty well seals it and we will sort the test drive out over the next few weeks.

You mentioned your recent trip to The Alps. Do you run winter tyres and summers? If so, do you have a second set of rims?

Thanks again, Arianne
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #8
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

My current ride is my fifth new BMW since 2007. After a couple of 523i's (E61) I got my first diesel powered car in 2010, a BMW 520d F10. Sold the 520d in 2014 (at that time the best car I've ever had) and took delivery of a brand new X4 with the 190hp four banger in dec 2014. Unfortunately, the X4 was a lemon, troubles just kept coming, and by summer 2015 I came to an agreement with BMW/and dealer that they would replace it. I decided to stay with the X4 model and ended up with a 30d with M sport and almost every option. Now I'm driving around with a big smile again, waiting for the M Power Performance Kit to be released
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I've had an X3 35i for 3 years. Really like it and just about to pick up an X4 M40i. I have noticed some tramlining on certain roads but no worse than other cars. Certainly no challenge to keep in a straight line.

If the alignment is slightly off, it may increase the issue. Or the tires. Wider tires are definitely more susceptible to tramlining.
My X3 had Goodyear LS tires when new. They were noisy and rough. Maybe more noticeable tramlining then the Michelin MXM I have on it now. They're excellent tires and well worth the small increment in cost.

A good test drive is always best. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Quote:
Thank you both so much.
One last thing, our car is likely to be well specified with options. One of them is the sunroof. Did I read you correctly that the sunroof can sometimes be a source of wind noise - I mean when it's closed not open!

Thanks again for you help, from across the globe.

Arianne
Hi Arianne,

It is surely more noisy than without, but for my point of view it bring so much light inside the car that i accept the little bit more noise. However I have not tested without. As I remember correctly before I bought the X3, roof rails are another source of wind source. I didn't ordered it again with the X4. Probably those who have roof rails can comment more than me.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Hi Arianne, my previous car was a volvo xc60 r design it was a 2012 model. I really loved my volvo but I always wanted a BMW x6 but could not justify spending over 100k for the model and options I would want. The volvo was a wonderful car but it had a few issues right from the beginning. Some rattles, a pet peeve of mine. very lurchy and bucking when it was cold. and extremely easy to scratch the paint. once the engine was warm it was a delight but never was good with fuel economy. I test drove three x4's in different configurations and I also test drove an audi s and a porche macan. Personally I found the audi boring but extremely well built. and the porsche was fun to drive but it had a quirky interior with so many dead button knock outs it reminded me of a cheap subaru that no one wanted any options on. But the x4 35 for me was nearly perfect. the interior was from the very begging vault like quiet, no squeaks no rattles quiet until you give it heavy gas then it roars to life and you're off. I do not find any interior bits to be cheap hard plastics anymore than the volvo was. Like any car there's always room for improvement, but I can't complain about anything. My x4 is now about a year and a half old and if anything its gotten better at least performance wise. I have no noise at all from my sunroof when closed. I highly recomend this car if you are willing to forgo certain load space in back and a more cramped rear seat area. neither of these things bother me. Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 01:17 AM   #12
Mungogrubb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 30D MSport, Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne
Mungogrubb ,

Thanks for posting a reply. Good to know that the forum is truly global, including Northamptonshire!

I think that pretty well seals it and we will sort the test drive out over the next few weeks.

You mentioned your recent trip to The Alps. Do you run winter tyres and summers? If so, do you have a second set of rims?

Thanks again, Arianne
Sorry not been around much, as to your question. No winters just standard tyres, did all that on my last car and had no end of trouble with locking wheel nuts breaking etc so didnt bother. I have bought some Thule chains but again didn't need them, despite heavy snow and ice.

Drive sensibly and the car does the rest. Let us know how you get on?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 04:29 AM   #13
Arianne
Rep

Thank you, one and all. We really appreciate you giving a little of your time to share your real-world experience of X4 ownership.

Our current PCP expires in March 2017. We want to switch cars then, if we leave it any later then we will get caught up in the new road fund tax here in the UK from April 2017 which will be a flat £500 p.a. For any car with a list price of over £40k.

So we will think about when to place the order after test driving and we will also need to think about who best to get PCP packages from. I like the simplicity of a deal through the BMW dealership but it's not usually the most competitive approach. Research now underway and any advice, even international advice, is welcomed.

One last thing, does anyone have the auxiliary heater as an option? I am thinking of specifying this as an option but would like to know a little more abOut how it works. In particular, if we programme it to start on a cold morning..... How long does it need to run before you get in for it to have defrosted the screen and is it noisy or silent (don't want the neighbours to wake up to something that sounds like a two stroke lawnmower ticking over at 7am in the morning).

Thanks again folks, Arianne
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

Quote:
One last thing, does anyone have the auxiliary heater as an option? I am thinking of specifying this as an option but would like to know a little more abOut how it works. In particular, if we programme it to start on a cold morning..... How long does it need to run before you get in for it to have defrosted the screen and is it noisy or silent (don't want the neighbours to wake up to something that sounds like a two stroke lawnmower ticking over at 7am in the morning).
Auxiliary heater is great!
With a power up to about 5 kW, 10-15 minutes is usually enough (@ -10 to -20C). You start it with a special remote or with the BMW remote app (direct start or set timer).
If you leave it on it will automatically shut off after about 30 minutes.
Don't worry about waking up the neighborhood, it sounds just like a dampened blowtorch.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Arianne
Rep

Test drove 30d M-Sport today - questions, can you help?

Dear All,

So we finally got around to test driving the car today. I was hoping that the family would be completely besotted with the X4 but it was not to be. I wonder if you guys might be kind enough to give us your views on a few points, based upon your longer term ownership experience of living with your X4s?
  1. how do any adults, say up to 6ft (183cm) find sitting in the back on longer journeys. I don't mean the headroom which is fine. I am referring to the feeling in the legs because the rear seat has been lowered and so the thigh isn't resting flat on the front of the seat squab?
  2. do you find that the road noise is a bit intrusive at speed, say over 70mph (120kph) - we found the tyre noise louder than in our XC60 both in the front and especially in the rear of the cabin?
  3. the test car didn't have Electronic Damper Control (EDC). It just had the standard M-Sport suspension which was fine when we drove the car hard on twisty back roads but was crashy on urban roads, imperfect surfaces and crossing cats eyes, motorway expansion joints etc. If you have EDC on your X4 then what does the Comfort setting do to the suspension and is it okay on imperfect road surfaces?

And the test car had ivory seats with black carpet and door insets. Is the seat material leather? Real leather? It's just that Mercedes have something which they call leather but then they admit it's 'man-made' leather! The material in the X4 felt different from my leather in our Volvo.

Finally, promise, the plastics along the interior of the bottom of the doors and the door bins - ours was jet black colour and very, very hard. The car was just 6mths old with 5.5k miles on the clock but it had already been scratched. That felt a bit weird for this price point?

I loved the engine, gearbox, suspension when pushing hard and we adore the looks of the car. But we're struggling a bit with the points above and wonder what you think?

Thanks, as ever, for your help.

Arianne
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #16
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I can answer the questions to some degree.
1. My X4 is new but 6 footers said short trips were fine. I don't know about long trips but they were fine in my X3. Seats may feel firm but that adds to long trip support, providing less tiring.
2. No issues with road noise but entirely dependent on tires. Michelin Primary were much more quiet than Goodyear LS. (only ones I've had on the X3/X4).
3. EDC does soften the ride. Standard X3/X4 are runflats which does add impact harshness but overall the ride is fine and I did long trips in the X3 with no issues.

My X3 was tan, my X4 Ivory/Black. Shoe kicks to the lower door panels have been easy to clean and caused no long term wear. Maybe something was dragged across the test cars?? Base X3s and maybe base X4s are synthetic leather (leatherette) at least in the US but real leather is optional on all models, standard on some. If it has a premium package, it has leather for sure. Dakota leather is more grainy than other cars but adds to the durability. But a good leather cleaner/conditioner treatment once/twice a year is recommended in any event.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:48 AM   #17
Arianne
Rep

F-Pace 3.0d V6 S

Just to conclude this thread and thank folk for their time and help......

We have decided to place an order for a Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d V6 S. We loved the X4, especially the coupe style, but we just couldn't make the rear seat bench work for us. By BMW lowering the seat design (to ensure peoples' heads don't touch the sloping roof) we found that the angle of our legs was slightly unusual in that our thighs didn't rest on the seat squab. That was okay on short journeys but we think it would be problematic on the very long journeys we undertake twice a year to Norway and / or the Swiss, Austrian or Italian Alps.

It's a shame because there is actually quite a lot of space behind the front passenger seat so it isn't about length. The Jaguar has a regular rear cabin and so since this V6 diesel S F-Pace will also perform well we have settled on that instead.

Once again, thank you to the forum members for your help. I've enjoyed reading the posts and especially enjoyed the gorgeous pictures you guys have posted of your X4s - my favourites being the carbon black ones!

Arianne
Appreciate 0