BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #45
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

Also, forgot to ask you, I can to find the VRSF downpipe for the x3, I'm assuming you got the one for the 540i and it fits on the x3?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #46
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel.yoo View Post
Also, forgot to ask you, I can to find the VRSF downpipe for the x3, I'm assuming you got the one for the 540i and it fits on the x3?
Correct I just took the gamble despite the whole fitment issue and got the the only b58 one which is supposed to be for all 40i models and it worked out fine! Though I did get the infamous CEL after about 500 miles so be warned, you'll need a tune for that to disappear.
      02-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #47
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf30 View Post
Quote:
Correct I just took the gamble despite the whole fitment issue and got the the only b58 one which is supposed to be for all 40i models and it worked out fine! Though I did get the infamous CEL after about 500 miles so be warned, you'll need a tune for that to disappear.
Thank you for being an ambassador I have JB4 so the cel should be gone
Appreciate 1
Jayf30633.00
      02-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #48
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Brothers love to 'drive it like it's stolen'

02-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #49
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Brothers love to 'drive it like it's stolen'

They wouldn't be brothers if that weren't true haha
      02-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #50
Derrickluo
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
*UPDATE 2*

New video showing the muffler delete under load (heavy acceleration in this case).

I had my brother drive it for me so I could see how loud it was from outside. I forgot to tell him the different kinds of driving I needed for video purposes.. so he pretty much just floored it throughout lol

It's seriously loud. The video only does it justice to how loud it is if you have headphones on at max volume (if listening through phone) and your ears aren't blocked.

The exhaust note falls off around 3,000 RPM and it picks up a little rasp. In person it's not bad, it's pretty nasty actually, in a good way.

Might get a downpipe down the road to get a little more exhaust note up at higher RPMs but I'm thoroughly enjoying it as is now.

*UPDATE 1*

Filmed the first cold start with the muffler delete this morning. You can hear the turbo in the end when it's a little warmed up.

Below is a copy and paste from another thread from yesterday when I got it done with some quick notes so far.

Here it is, very first muffler delete on an X3 M40i.

Forgive my niece for the orientation in which this was recorded. She's still learning. More and better videos of it to come soon.

Some quick little notes after driving it for a little over 15 minutes:

-drove 95% of that time in sport plus and it sounds awesome especially in the low rev range. It has a really deep tone and rumble up to about 3500 rpm that would make people think it has a V8

-did a quick switch to comfort, with the muffler delete it's actually really quiet. I coded ASD off a couple days ago and I even want to say that it's quieter than when the muffler was on and ASD was still active. They were really blasting sounds into the cabin with that thing lol. Basically very little to no drone but will report later when I do a highway trip.

-windows up in sport plus, it's maybe 15-20% louder when the car had ASD active and muffler on so not much louder inside than stock

-windows down in sport plus this thing sounds beastly and living in California I can enjoy this all year round.

-the pops and bangs are suprisingly not much louder than with the muffler on which I am very relieved to find

-had a little rev battle at the stop light immediately leaving the shop with an E90 M3 owner and he gave me a smile and a thumbs up

-oh and quad tips (ask me if I care) I really hated the stock tips. *Note: the quad tips wouldn't fit if I kept the muffler* incarstyle does make quad tips for the stock muffler but it looks like one of the tips are sorta floating almost like a fake tip.. and they run about $590 for a set of tips, no thanks.

I paid $200 for the delete and $140 for the tips. I went there with no intention of buying tips because I didn't think they were possible given the shape of the heat shield but he assured me it was possible(only with the delete). Had I known this, I would've gotten gloss black tips since all he had were matte black tips. No complaint tho, anything is better than the stock tips and I'm happy with them.

Later this week, wheels.
Where did you get these tips?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #51
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

Sounds mean!!! Love the quad tip look!
      02-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #52
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrickluo View Post
Quote:
*UPDATE 2*

New video showing the muffler delete under load (heavy acceleration in this case).

I had my brother drive it for me so I could see how loud it was from outside. I forgot to tell him the different kinds of driving I needed for video purposes.. so he pretty much just floored it throughout lol

It's seriously loud. The video only does it justice to how loud it is if you have headphones on at max volume (if listening through phone) and your ears aren't blocked.

The exhaust note falls off around 3,000 RPM and it picks up a little rasp. In person it's not bad, it's pretty nasty actually, in a good way.

Might get a downpipe down the road to get a little more exhaust note up at higher RPMs but I'm thoroughly enjoying it as is now.

*UPDATE 1*

Filmed the first cold start with the muffler delete this morning. You can hear the turbo in the end when it's a little warmed up.

Below is a copy and paste from another thread from yesterday when I got it done with some quick notes so far.

Here it is, very first muffler delete on an X3 M40i.

Forgive my niece for the orientation in which this was recorded. She's still learning. More and better videos of it to come soon.

Some quick little notes after driving it for a little over 15 minutes:

-drove 95% of that time in sport plus and it sounds awesome especially in the low rev range. It has a really deep tone and rumble up to about 3500 rpm that would make people think it has a V8

-did a quick switch to comfort, with the muffler delete it's actually really quiet. I coded ASD off a couple days ago and I even want to say that it's quieter than when the muffler was on and ASD was still active. They were really blasting sounds into the cabin with that thing lol. Basically very little to no drone but will report later when I do a highway trip.

-windows up in sport plus, it's maybe 15-20% louder when the car had ASD active and muffler on so not much louder inside than stock

-windows down in sport plus this thing sounds beastly and living in California I can enjoy this all year round.

-the pops and bangs are suprisingly not much louder than with the muffler on which I am very relieved to find

-had a little rev battle at the stop light immediately leaving the shop with an E90 M3 owner and he gave me a smile and a thumbs up

-oh and quad tips (ask me if I care) I really hated the stock tips. *Note: the quad tips wouldn't fit if I kept the muffler* incarstyle does make quad tips for the stock muffler but it looks like one of the tips are sorta floating almost like a fake tip.. and they run about $590 for a set of tips, no thanks.

I paid $200 for the delete and $140 for the tips. I went there with no intention of buying tips because I didn't think they were possible given the shape of the heat shield but he assured me it was possible(only with the delete). Had I known this, I would've gotten gloss black tips since all he had were matte black tips. No complaint tho, anything is better than the stock tips and I'm happy with them.

Later this week, wheels.
Where did you get these tips?
The muffler shop I had the muffler delete done had it on hand so I'm afraid I can't help you there. Although I will say my right tips are experiencing the same flaking that others are reporting. So it's an m40i thing it appears. Doesn't bother me yet but I'll get some rustoleum paint in the near future for it.
      02-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #53
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep

I’m about to pull the plug on the meddler delete, how much louder is it? On your video it sounds so loud and aggressive haha
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #54
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I’m about to pull the plug on the meddler delete, how much louder is it? On your video it sounds so loud and aggressive haha
A good amount lol.. but not crazy. Wot will be addicting for a while too especially in closed areas where sound can bounce around. You can turn heads on the stock exhaust, but the delete will definitely scare some people if they aren't ready so as a courtesy I try not to do pulls around elderly, little kids and people walking their pets haha
      02-23-2019, 07:01 PM   #55
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm about to pull the plug on the meddler delete, how much louder is it? On your video it sounds so loud and aggressive haha
A good amount lol.. but not crazy. Wot will be addicting for a while too especially in closed areas where sound can bounce around. You can turn heads on the stock exhaust, but the delete will definitely scare some people if they aren't ready so as a courtesy I try not to do pulls around elderly, little kids and people walking their pets haha
Haha sounds good! Just installed the high flow cat and love the little extra sound and pops! I'm careful around residential areas, I don't want to piss off people for my own pleasure haha. I was speeding a little on the highway and this young guy in a Mazda pulls over to give me thumbs up!
Appreciate 2
Jayf30633.00
      02-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #56
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm about to pull the plug on the meddler delete, how much louder is it? On your video it sounds so loud and aggressive haha
Haha sounds good! Just installed the high flow cat and love the little extra sound and pops! I'm careful around residential areas, I don't want to piss off people for my own pleasure haha. I was speeding a little on the highway and this young guy in a Mazda pulls over to give me thumbs up!
Oh nice btw you might want to get a cold start delete as well. The thing is gonna be LOUD on any start warm or cold. I got it deleted like 3 days after I put my dp on. It was ridiculous lol.
      02-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #57
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh nice btw you might want to get a cold start delete as well. The thing is gonna be LOUD on any start warm or cold. I got it deleted like 3 days after I put my dp on. It was ridiculous lol.
I agree just with the dp I feel it's loud until the cold start stops... does JB4 have a cold start delete? I heard MHD is coming to b58 soon!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #58
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Quote:
Very nice. I’d imagine it sounds like my m235i I had with the fabspeed delete. It sounded amazing.’’drone?

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2019, 04:47 AM   #59
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree just with the dp I feel it's loud until the cold start stops... does JB4 have a cold start delete? I heard MHD is coming to b58 soon!
I don't believe the JB4 can change that. I saw that, so many tuners are coming out with B58 tuning capabilities it's only going to get better
      02-24-2019, 04:49 AM   #60
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benandluna View Post
Quote:
Very nice. I’d imagine it sounds like my m235i I had with the fabspeed delete. It sounded amazing.’’drone?
Drone is just a tad louder than stock with ASD. Really doesn't bother me and unless you're going up a hill for 20 minutes straight it shouldn't bother you
      02-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #61
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Quote:
Drone is just a tad louder than stock with ASD. Really doesn't bother me and unless you're going up a hill for 20 minutes straight it shouldn't bother you
Very nice. Yeah I didn’t mind the little amount of drone. I loved it.

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #62
BrooklynG87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s REX  [10.00]
2021 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
2018 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M Compet ...  [10.00]
1999 BMW M3  [10.00]
Wow this looks and sounds insane! I would love to get a hold of a set of gloss black tips to complete the look of the X3! Nicely done man!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #63
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynX3 View Post
Wow this looks and sounds insane! I would love to get a hold of a set of gloss black tips to complete the look of the X3! Nicely done man!
Thanks! I plan on ordering the gloss black diffuser to give it a nice contrast like my boomerangs, side "vents" and mirrors since they are all flat black which by the way is a very nice contrast against the other piano black accents.
      05-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #64
xswesx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m1

how do you plan on passing annual inspections?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #65
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswesx View Post
how do you plan on passing annual inspections?
No smog/inspections required for the first 8 years here in California and it's a lease
      09-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #66
ESP435iM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435iM

Amazing

hey guys, love the sound of muffler delete

have ordered my X4M40i. coming out of a M2 comp but very excited for the change.

main question

underneath the car is there

1. rear muffler
2. center resonator

im keen for some more sound but deleting both maybe too loud for me.

Anyone done resonator delete only?
Appreciate 0