BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Drew Brees/Colin Kaepernick free speech

06-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Throttlesteer14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Drew Brees/Colin Kaepernick free speech

Curious to get others' thoughts. Kaepernick has been a controversial figure since taking a knee during the National Anthem at NFL games. His defenders claim freedom of speech, freedom to protest as civil rights. Yet these same folks don't seem to support a public comment (off the football field and not at the workplace) made by Drew Brees to defend his own opinion. I don't feel you can hold up 1A rights as a defense and not apply it consistently.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep
Drives: M2

For some people, the flag represents freedom and sacrifice, and those folks want to pay respect to that.

For others, they want to use it as a platform to make a statement.

I don't see why you have to pick one or the other.

Also, the first amendment doesn't protect you from consequences from society or your employer.

Kaepernick is a dick, who lost his job to BLAINE GABBERT, and then opted out of his contract. Big shock that no one wants to sign him and the circus that comes along with it. Even Tebow wore out his welcome.
David70865.50

06-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 19 ZLE, 212S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer14 View Post
Curious to get others' thoughts. Kaepernick has been a controversial figure since taking a knee during the National Anthem at NFL games. His defenders claim freedom of speech, freedom to protest as civil rights. Yet these same folks don't seem to support a public comment (off the football field and not at the workplace) made by Drew Brees to defend his own opinion. I don't feel you can hold up 1A rights as a defense and not apply it consistently.
Kapernick got railed and black balled for exercising his free speech rights. He still does to this day. And you compare that to Brees getting some flack for exercising his? At least Kap had the balls to stand by his unlike Brees.

They both did and that is their right. The both suffered dramatically different consequences for doing it. The people criticizing both are exercising their free speech rights.
Appreciate 2
David70865.50
Jockey2275.50

06-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also, what do you mean Brees wasn't practicing his beliefs while at work? He just said he was. He respects the flag and did so his way at work.

It was and still is just part marketing and part homage to certain things doing the national anthem at sporting events.

This is one of the most overblown "controversies" by both sides.

https://www.history.com/news/why-the...porting-events
Appreciate 1
cjb762613.00

06-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
Throttlesteer14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post

This is one of the most overblown "controversies" by both sides.

https://www.history.com/news/why-the...porting-events
I agree with this
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with this
I know when I've been at sporting events that I can feel the respect oozing from half of the spectators that can barely stand from tailgating.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #7
MPOWER5266
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

They both have the right to say and do what they want and really neither of them did anything wrong. People just need to feel important and making mountains out of mole hills on facebook provides that sweet sweet important feeling.
Appreciate 5
JMAC5150127.00
cjb762613.00
Tyga1196.50

06-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
schoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Also, the first amendment doesn't protect you from consequences from society or your employer.
Actually the 1st Amendment does protect you from consequences from society. The government canít criminalize protected free speech; thatís what the 1st Amendment says.

As for employers, it depends. If youíre an at-will employee, then you are correct. If you have an employment contract that doesnít give your employer such broad termination rights, then no.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
Throttlesteer14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know when I've been at sporting events that I can feel the respect oozing from half of the spectators that can barely stand from tailgating.
It takes all kinds. I was at a sporting event last year where the band decided to make a statement by playing the USSR anthem and marching in the shape of a hammer/sickle. The premise was to jab at Trump for his Russian ties (allegedly). The problem was, they had just recently celebrated a couple of remaining WWII heroes before the game; It was Veteran's Day. Free speech, yes. Inappropriate and tactless, absolutely.

My own personal view is the National Anthem is a great reminder to sports teams and fans that there's something greater we can all (or at least I thought we could) unite around. People get WAY too emotional about their team winning or losing, even becoming angry and violent on occasion. For those that are coherent and haven't tailgated too hard, the anthem should be a reminder. America and the freedom of its citizens came on the backs of people from all walks of life, dating back to the formation of the country. We should never forget that.
Appreciate 2
minn196958.00
MPOWER52661504.50

06-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #10
kaputt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT

Both have the right to do and say what they did. Of course Brees is going to get more backlash because he isn’t a part of then”socially just left”, so therefore in their mind his views are not only wrong, they should be punished.

People should be paying attention, the left wants you to only have their views and thats it. Dissent is not allowed.

There is a smaller faction on the right that is like that (I saw it a bit with Kapernick), but they are statistically insignificant. Almost the entire left however is a SJW die hard. And if you don’t march to the party line you are immoral, wrong, and should be silenced.

Also Kapernick is primarily out of the league because he was a mediocre player with baggage. Lots of other players meet the same fate, his was just more publicized because of his specific choices and some other high profile people and companies choosing to make him a martyr. Even if I agreed with his method of protest I’m not sure as a coach or team owner I would want him on my team based on how he’s come across as a person. Ultimately I think he’s selfish and almost all of his activism is hollow and social media based.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #11
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Both have the right to do and say what they did. Of course Brees is going to get more backlash because he isnít a part of thenĒsocially just leftĒ, so therefore in their mind his views are not only wrong, they should be punished.

People should be paying attention, the left wants you to only have their views and thats it. Dissent is not allowed.

There is a smaller faction on the right that is like that (I saw it a bit with Kapernick), but they are statistically insignificant. Almost the entire left however is a SJW die hard. And if you donít march to the party line you are immoral, wrong, and should be silenced.

Also Kapernick is primarily out of the league because he was a mediocre player with baggage. Lots of other players meet the same fate, his was just more publicized because of his specific choices and some other high profile people and companies choosing to make him a martyr. Even if I agreed with his method of protest Iím not sure as a coach or team owner I would want him on my team based on how heís come across as a person. Ultimately I think heís selfish and almost all of his activism is hollow and social media based.
Let's not forget that CK had a deal all but done with the Ravens until his girlfriend called the Ravens team owner a slave owner
kaputt226.50

06-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
AlpineWhite_SJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Both have a right to express their opinions or peacefully protest as they see fit. And everyone who disagrees should be free to say so.

Kap was garbage before he took a knee.
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 2
kaputt226.50
Now_Rudi7621.50

06-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #13
rebekahb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The whole thing with Brees changing his tune is sad. Instead of agreeing to disagree along with respecting his thoughts he was internet bullied into making a new statement. I think the shittiest part is how quick people forget all the great things he has done for New Orleans.

I saw some black and gold beads in front of one receptionist work computer today and asked her if she was getting ready for Saints season early. Her response was no, I'm so disappointed in Brees. I didn't even know at that point what had went on. At this point, I don't even feel like talking to people.

Kap is a dick & not going to waste anymore typing on him.
Appreciate 3
      06-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
AlpineWhite_SJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
The whole thing with Brees changing his tune is sad. Instead of agreeing to disagree along with respecting his thoughts he was internet bullied into making a new statement. I think the shittiest part is how quick people forget all the great things he has done for New Orleans.

I saw some black and gold beads in front of one receptionist work computer today and asked her if she was getting ready for Saints season early. Her response was no, I'm so disappointed in Brees. I didn't even know at that point what had went on. At this point, I don't even feel like talking to people.

Kap is a dick & not going to waste anymore typing on him.
Talk is cheap - people should judge people on what they do more than what they say.
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 1
rebekahb488.00

06-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #15
Throttlesteer14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Kap has said a lot, done little. Brees has done a lot, said very little. Who is the "hero" here.
Appreciate 2
MPOWER52661504.50
rebekahb488.00

06-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #16
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
This is easy. While in uniform he is an employee of whomever football club that's paying him. As an employee you typically give up certain rights as a condition of employment. Ultimately it's an issue between he and his employer.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #17
Mr Pete
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
This is easy. While in uniform he is an employee of whomever football club that's paying him. As an employee you typically give up certain rights as a condition of employment. Ultimately it's an issue between he and his employer.
Bingo. Aside from the fact that Kap could not hit the broad side of a barn door, he is first an employee of his employer. Displaying actions on his work day/game days that may violate proper workplace behavior established between him and his employer, I would fire him as well.

If my employee became disruptive in our office by continually and made our clients uncomfortable, and continued to do so after repeated warnings, I'd fire his ass too. Your job is to do your job. Do that other shit on your free time, outside of the office/stadium.
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet1945.50

06-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Actually the 1st Amendment does protect you from consequences from society. The government can’t criminalize protected free speech; that’s what the 1st Amendment says.

As for employers, it depends. If you’re an at-will employee, then you are correct. If you have an employment contract that doesn’t give your employer such broad termination rights, then no.
Are you sure you don't mean "Actually the 1st Amendment doesn't protect you from consequences from society"

Quote:
Kapernick got railed and black balled for exercising his free speech rights. He still does to this day. And you compare that to Brees getting some flack for exercising his? At least Kap had the balls to stand by his unlike Brees.

They both did and that is their right. The both suffered dramatically different consequences for doing it. The people criticizing both are exercising their free speech rights.
X2, people saying they both paid the price are really far out there. Many are still upset with what Kaepernick did yet other players beat up their girlfriends, shoot people, DUI's, whatever and this is quickly pushed aside. I don't agree with kneeling or burning the flag but strongly support the rights of people to do it.

Outside of what you said, some think the first Amendment gives you the right to say whatever you want without repercussions and this is completely wrong. You have the right to say what you want, most of the time your employer then has the right to fire you, society has the right to not go to your place of employment, society has a right to tell your employer they want you fired. Bizarre to me that the same people saying someone has rights to say what they want also want to stop all the things that others do because of what this person said.

06-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #19
BeastieBombRacing
mmmbrap
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
other players beat up their girlfriends, shoot people, DUI's, whatever and this is quickly pushed aside
I want to zero in on this, right here.

There is no place in pro sports (or gov't, for that matter) for anyone who exhibits this kind of behavior. Full stop.
rebekahb488.00
minn196958.00

06-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #20
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
I want to zero in on this, right here.

There is no place in pro sports (or gov't, for that matter) for anyone who exhibits this kind of behavior. Full stop.
It's truly sad that you even have to voice this opinion
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #21
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3, 2012 E82 128i

I thought internet bullying was bad?

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #22
rebekahb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
I thought internet bullying was bad?
It's only bad when it's benefits someone's narrative.
Appreciate 0