BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #1
Scientifix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Car headlights, taillights stay on forever!

I have a 2018 X3 M40i and randomly I see that my car's headlights and taillights stay on if I don't lock the car. While the headlights go off after a minute or so typically, occasionally I have noticed that when I come back to the car hours later I would see the headlights/taillights still on! This definitely looks like a bug and not some settings based.
I know it's as simple as locking the car, but why, I don't like to lock the car when it's in my garage, and this seems like a very basic thing and I haven't had this bug in any of my cars in the past with auto headlights off/courtesy feature.

I did a search and found this thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564886

Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed by the dealer with some software update/parts replacement?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
Supa Koopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Why not just lock the car? If I had a garage big enough to keep my car in, it would still be locked.

Alternatively just turn the car off. Press the start/stop button, then click the option button below the Idrive controller, select turn off vehicle and press it. I would think that will do what you need.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #3
BSquared+
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Occasionally, I've had the same problem with my 2019 X4. In my case, I believe it happened when I would shutoff the car and then open the driver door too quickly. I'm guessing that the software takes a second or two to go thru it's shutdown sequence before it looks for the drivers door to open. Open it too quickly, it misses that fact, and it thinks you're still in the car. Only a guess of course, but if I wait 2 seconds after shutoff before opening my door it never happens. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
Juris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X-3 M40i Alpine White 2019

The few times mine doesn't shut off I just press and hold the volume knob on the radio.

That shuts off the car.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
Hicks0846
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Exclamation 2020 x5 - same issue!

Whoever is having this issue, you're not going crazy. My 2020 X5 does the same thing in my garage. I lock it most of the time, but when I don't, the lights often stay on for a long time. Today a friend left out of the garage and texted me after "You car lights are on"

Drives me nuts. If there is a fix in Settings, I have yet to find it. I guess it forces me to lock it even when my hands are full.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
pjroberts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 | 2009 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks0846 View Post
Whoever is having this issue, you're not going crazy. My 2020 X5 does the same thing in my garage. I lock it most of the time, but when I don't, the lights often stay on for a long time. Today a friend left out of the garage and texted me after "You car lights are on"

Drives me nuts. If there is a fix in Settings, I have yet to find it. I guess it forces me to lock it even when my hands are full.
I just posted this same exact issue with my 2020 X3 on Bimmerfest a couple days ago. It’s so random in its happenstance haven’t been able to narrow down the why. No definitive solutions except lock the car in my very safe garage. Someone today recommended to turn off the welcome lighting in settings. Will try that, but may take some time to validate since it usually doesn’t happen.
Appreciate 0