BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2024, 03:36 AM   #1
forgetcolor
Rep
Drives: Ford Ranger (X3 hopeful)

Seeking first-hand comparison of X3 30i with and without dynamic handling package

I'm looking for any first-hand experience of the X3 30i with and without the dynamic handling package—in particular, the adaptive suspension. What I'm wondering is whether the adaptive suspension improves comfort on rough roads as BMW says it does?

Why I'm wondering is: 1) I'm seeking to optimize a buy and/or build for comfort first, 2) finding a 30i with adaptive suspension is tough (so I may have to order if I want it), and 3) I don't live in a big city anyway so it's hard to find good comparison opportunities.

Regardless, I would intend to keep the wheels smaller (19") and to swap out the tires for go-flats.

Has anyone driven X3s with and without that could comment on this? I'm sure some will say dynamic handling is a waste on the 30i, and that may be right re performance driving. And it may be right for comfort as well — but I wanted to see if anyone's tried it?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 04:51 AM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetcolor View Post
I'm looking for any first-hand experience of the X3 30i with and without the dynamic handling package—in particular, the adaptive suspension. What I'm wondering is whether the adaptive suspension improves comfort on rough roads as BMW says it does?

Why I'm wondering is: 1) I'm seeking to optimize a buy and/or build for comfort first, 2) finding a 30i with adaptive suspension is tough (so I may have to order if I want it), and 3) I don't live in a big city anyway so it's hard to find good comparison opportunities.

Regardless, I would intend to keep the wheels smaller (19") and to swap out the tires for go-flats.

Has anyone driven X3s with and without that could comment on this? I'm sure some will say dynamic handling is a waste on the 30i, and that may be right re performance driving. And it may be right for comfort as well — but I wanted to see if anyone's tried it?
If you’re looking for very comfortable suspension and seats, look at a Volvo.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:23 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:

I became a fan of Dynamic Handling/Adaptive Suspension when I first spec'd it for my 2 Series. The difference is real, and the Comfort setting was more acceptable to my wife when she rode with me. I added it again to my 2024 X3 and am pleased with the results and the differences in the settings for handling and ride harshness. My comparison just within X3 is based on the original test drive of a non-equipped 30i which provided a good compromise. However, the Dynamic Handling range of settings provides what you might logically expect, more of a step in each direction for both the Comfort and Sport settings. I am also running 19" tires. I've asked friends who occupy the rear seats how they like my new vehicle versus the 330iX GT it replaced that did not have the adaptive suspension, and they say this is a more comfortable ride. The Bridgestone Dueler RFTs are surprisingly good for ride comfort. I had expected them to be a detriment as an RFT, but they are not. When I'm solo in the car and use Sport or Sport+, it does change the character of the car and makes it more fun around traffic circles and cloverleaf ramps for which two more cylinders are not necessary. I would strongly endorse placing your order with the Dynamic Handling Package based on perceiving your goals. I would not stray far from BMW to some other supposedly comparable brands based on quality unless your preference for comfort so overwhelms your driving enjoyment that you might consider a Lexus. This owner-reported data is for 3 years in service.
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 02-15-2024 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 01:25 PM   #4
forgetcolor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
If you’re looking for very comfortable suspension and seats, look at a Volvo.
I tried a Volvo. And a Lexus, and a Benz, and an Audi, and all other competitors. I didn't find the Volvo any more comfortable. The Lexus was definitely a softer ride, but one of the most boring cars I've ever driven. The BMW puts a smile on my face every time I try one. I get that many in the BMW community may think it's not the car for me if comfort is my focus, but I'm looking for the most fun car I can drive that also meets my comfort needs.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      02-15-2024, 01:30 PM   #5
forgetcolor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I became a fan of Dynamic Handling/Adaptive Suspension when I first spec'd it for my 2 Series. ...
Thank you so much, this is the first-hand experience I was hoping for!

I've driven all the typical competitors. The Lexus (NX or RX) is unquestionably a softer riding car and thus, for me, higher on comfort. But oh my, I was so bored. I'm looking for the most comfort I can get within a car that puts a smile on my face. So far, after driving BMW, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, etc, it's the BMW every time. Even the 4 cylinder 30i is fun for me.

Also good to hear about your Bridgestone Dueler experience. I've been presuming I'd need to swap for go-flats. But if I can get the comfort I want without having to carry around a spare, that would be fabulous.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      02-15-2024, 01:47 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much, this is the first-hand experience I was hoping for!

I've driven all the typical competitors. The Lexus (NX or RX) is unquestionably a softer riding car and thus, for me, higher on comfort. But oh my, I was so bored. I'm looking for the most comfort I can get within a car that puts a smile on my face. So far, after driving BMW, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, etc, it's the BMW every time. Even the 4 cylinder 30i is fun for me.

Also good to hear about your Bridgestone Dueler experience. I've been presuming I'd need to swap for go-flats. But if I can get the comfort I want without having to carry around a spare, that would be fabulous.
Just to be extra cautious/ready, I did order the spare tire option.
If you have a different opinion about the 19" Duelers, you can always change later, but I found them very acceptable for ride comfort although we do have very good roads here where it never snows.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 02:47 PM   #7
IAmSpeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
Id recommend go for X5/6/7 if you prefer a comfy ride in a BMW.
2004 Toyota Vios | 2004 BMW X3 | 2007 Chrysler Town and Country | 2007 Ford Escape | 2008 Honda CRV | 2017 Nissan Versa Note | 2017 Toyota RAV4 | 2017 Toyota Yaris iA | 2019 Porsche 911 | 2023 BMW X4 M40i
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:48 PM   #8
forgetcolor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSpeed View Post
Id recommend go for X5/6/7 if you prefer a comfy ride in a BMW.
X5 was my original plan, but it's just a little too tall for my short legs
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:49 PM   #9
forgetcolor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Just to be extra cautious/ready, I did order the spare tire option.
If you have a different opinion about the 19" Duelers, you can always change later, but I found them very acceptable for ride comfort although we do have very good roads here where it never snows.
Is it hard to swap that out later? I know there's a floor height difference in the back, right? IOW, can I order spare tire option after the fact, or is it easiest/best to do it up front?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:01 PM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Is it hard to swap that out later? I know there's a floor height difference in the back, right? IOW, can I order spare tire option after the fact, or is it easiest/best to do it up front?
I don't know what would be involved in a retrofit, but I think I recall some threads here about that. Certainly easiest to order originally. The floor height is slightly higher and I think someone posted that difference here as well. I've had no issue with cargo for Costco/grocery shopping or luggage. Weathertech also makes a cargo mat that fits with the spare tire option.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:17 PM   #11
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
I tried a Volvo. And a Lexus, and a Benz, and an Audi, and all other competitors. I didn't find the Volvo any more comfortable. The Lexus was definitely a softer ride, but one of the most boring cars I've ever driven. The BMW puts a smile on my face every time I try one. I get that many in the BMW community may think it's not the car for me if comfort is my focus, but I'm looking for the most fun car I can drive that also meets my comfort needs.
Many, I don’t know the demographic perhaps older, report issues with the G01 seats, irrespective of the covering material. If you’re happy this is not an issue for you or your passenger, especially on longer journeys, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Just search on here there are plenty of threads on the subject.

The G01 Sport Seats/basic seats are defiantly not close to the leaders in terms of comfort, but the M Sport Seats maybe better.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:27 PM   #12
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

[QUOTE=forgetcolor;30906380]Thank you so much, this is the first-hand experience I was hoping for!

Even the 4 cylinder 30i is fun for me.

Many forum members say the 30i has excellent performance, have not driven one. If you opt for the M40i you will find yourself making excuses to drive it, it really offers some eye-opening performance. In "sport mode" from a stoplight it explodes with power from just a light touch of the right pedal, it can easily out perform most other vehicles in this regard. You will drive this car more than you thought, it's just than much fun. Going for a drive right now...LOL!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:42 PM   #13
larrym3
Registered
Rep
Drives: Classics

I have a 2024 30i X drive without the dynamic handling package and couldn't be happier with it. My previous car was a 2013 Volvo XC60 T6. My wife has a newer Audi A4 Quattro and I was impressed with it's dynamic handling setting, so I initially considered buying the Audi Q5. However, I felt the seats were too hard and not enough room in the hatch area so I purchases the BMW X3. Don't know if the X drive makes a difference, but in the sport mode, it seems similar to the Quattro. I have no regrets with the way I optioned my X3.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 05:12 PM   #14
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Order one with air suspension that allows it to be lowered.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 05:27 PM   #15
gphin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive30i, 2021 X3 M40

I have a '19 30i without the adaptive suspension and have no problems with how it rides. I wouldn't want it any firmer or softer. Has 20"wheels with A/S tires. Previously had 21" run flats which rode somewhat rougher. If you go with 19s with the more sidewall, you'll be fine without the adaptive suspension. If you go with runflats, expect a little firmer ride. Also have a '21 M40i with 20" A/S and standard suspension and it rides a little stiffer but barely noticeable. The 30i with less weight up front also feels a little more "nimble" steering. Bottomline, the 30i with 19s, non runflats, and regular suspension will ride fine. But its a BMW, not a Buick or Volvo.

Last edited by gphin; 02-15-2024 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:39 AM   #16
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Do you mean ingress/egress, or the seating position?

If the latter, there is a Recaro video embedded in one of the threads about X3 seat comfort. It helps you set up the seat (not just Recaro) properly. Part of it is getting your body closer to the pedals than you may think you want to be (without being too close to the airbag). I found it useful. Speaking of which, check out those threads before making a purchase, to help decide which seat to choose.

If the former, someone else suggested air suspension. I have no experience with that.

I assume that you are not a Little Person. If you are, then you are more familiar with equipment to adapt the car to you than I am.

The X5 probably does a better job of hitting the sweet spot for you, if you can afford the upgrade and don’t mind the extra size. You get a more luxurious vehicle, and you get the straight-6 as the base engine. I briefly considered buying an X5, and occasionally I wonder if I should have gone for it to get updated tech and more luxury, but I really don’t need a vehicle that large.
      03-27-2024, 10:44 AM   #17
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
As is almost always the case, it’s better to do it up front. The retrofit will cost you far more than just checking that option on the order sheet. Ditto the towing package, upgraded tires and rims (but you don’t want those anyway), etc.

On general principle I prefer to have a spare tire, but my X3 doesn’t have one.

The spare tire option does intrude into the cargo space. I routinely carry long and flat cargo with a rear seat back folded down. That bump would have been an inconvenience for me, so I opted to choose a car without it.

(The X5’s spare does not intrude into the cargo spare, so I’m told. Maybe not the X4 either?)
      03-27-2024, 10:46 AM   #18
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
Do you mean ingress/egress, or the seating position?

If the latter, there is a Recaro video embedded in one of the threads about X3 seat comfort. It helps you set up the seat (not just Recaro) properly. Part of it is getting your body closer to the pedals than you may think you want to be (without being too close to the airbag). I found it useful. Speaking of which, check out those threads before making a purchase, to help decide which seat to choose.

If the former, someone else suggested air suspension. I have no experience with that.

I assume that you are not a Little Person. If you are, then you are more familiar with equipment to adapt the car to you than I am.

The X5 probably does a better job of hitting the sweet spot for you, if you can afford the upgrade and don’t mind the extra size. You get a more luxurious vehicle, and you get the straight-6 as the base engine. I briefly considered buying an X5, and occasionally I wonder if I should have gone for it to get updated tech and more luxury, but I really don’t need a vehicle that large.
I would have preferred the X5 for size having first considered an iX before I read more about battery safety, but cannot get a X5 with gas engine without a mild hybridization which means a lithium ion battery in my garage...no thanks! X3 is as tight a fit as we can accept to stay within the brand.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 11:08 AM   #19
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 GO1

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Do yourself a favor, if you’re use to having a spare like we’ve always had forever. I would option it in , I got my CPO and didn’t come with it . I changed to NRF tires and bought the modern spare that’s kept in the cargo area. I takes up space and is fine for just my wife and i when traveling. If you don’t mind the couple of inches of raised floor I would put it in your build .
Edit : the best part is when we bought our 2013 X3 the sales person was telling us that BMW put the run flats on for our safety, not because it would save BMW millions of dollars not giving you a spare, jack, tire iron Etc………
Sapphire Black 2013 X3 28i ,
Jet Black 2007 X3 3.0 Liter
Appreciate 0