BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
carmenkats
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 x3

spilled coolant... ruined leather seats??

My boyfriend took our 2008 x3 to the dealership for a diagnosis on our leaky valve gasket. On the way he stopped and grabbed a bottle of coolant from an auto parts store AND LEFT IT SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT. So it leaked over the course of 3 days while our car was there.

Our beautiful Sand Beige leather is now stained. Even though it's a 2008 the car is in excellent condition, no cracking in the leather and only 40k miles on it. The coolant was blue but saturated the purple label on the outside of the bottle which transferred to the leather.

We are in the middle of spending several thousand on routine maintenance and fixing some general wear and tear issues on a 10 year old car. Overall it's in great condition, but I don't have any spare change to spend on a professional fix right now. Any suggestions??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
X3MS
MARANATHA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 M-Sport

I would find out if you have genuine leather, or the SensaTec leatherette. The texture in your pic looks just like mine, and I have leatherette. If so, I would give Mr. Clean Magic Eraser a go with some warm water, so you don't have to risk using any harsh chemicals.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
carmenkats
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MS View Post
I would find out if you have genuine leather, or the SensaTec leatherette. The texture in your pic looks just like mine, and I have leatherette. If so, I would give Mr. Clean Magic Eraser a go with some warm water, so you don't have to risk using any harsh chemicals.
how can I tell the difference?? I don't see it clearly labeled anywhere (bimmer newby lol)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #4
X3MS
MARANATHA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenkats View Post
how can I tell the difference?? I don't see it clearly labeled anywhere (bimmer newby lol)
I did a double check on mine, and it looks like I have Gray Nevada Leather. I just happened to find the window sticker among the manuals in the glove box from the previous owner, and Nevada leather is a step up from the leatherette.

Best way to find out if you don't have the original window sticker, would be to run a VIN# search and see what options it came with.
Appreciate 0