BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Can anyone measure their rear shocks for me?

I'm interested in putting some different shock absorbers on the back of my X3. They're for a different vehicle and I don't want to say what it is so you guys won't poke fun at me, but this vehicle has similar rear axle loading and a surprisingly similar rear leverage ratio for the shock. The stud thread at the top is the same, and the bushing diameter at the bottom is the same too. I want to try this out because they have much heavier duty shocks available for this vehicle, even tune-able bypass shocks, which would be pretty cool. I want to start with a set of monotube 46mm shocks though.

So anyways, I wanted to pick up a pair of the shocks, they're 14.1" collapsed and 22.94" fully extended. I don't really want to disassemble my interior to take my shocks out to measure them, but I will if I have to. I tried doing it on the car, but I can't get my shocks fully extended or collapsed.

However, if you've just changed your rear shocks and you have them just chillin' in the garage before you toss them, can you take a couple measurements? I'm looking for total collapsed length and total extended length, from bushing center to top of stud. Also, if you could measure from the top of the stud to the bottom of the stud ledge to the shock body, that'd be awesome too.
Appreciate 0