BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2023, 05:53 AM   #133
Scottie2hottie
Scottie2hottie27
Rep
Drives: X3MC, 24 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmws View Post
Nope, we followed this write up. Basically you make just enough room to slide the headlight forwards to access the outer DRLs
Thanks bro 🙏🏼🙌🏼
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 01:21 AM   #134
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

danniexi Nice write up the springs. I have the DINAN units + their bump stops & full y agree about the improvement in ride quality. When I thought the opposite might result in a lowering spring.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Jnat408.50
      07-07-2023, 10:40 AM   #135
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
OEM Digital Key Retrofit

OEM Digital Key Retrofit

So ever since I was first ordering the car nearly two years ago (crap has it been that long already?), there were two items from the original build order that was not included with the F97 LCI; the laser lights and digital key. The laser headlights I could live without since the DRL design are exactly the same between the two, but the one thing that upset me was the dreaded 32Z build code… “Deletion of BMW Digital Key”.

It’s a small detail that no one really cares about, but I’ve always been a bit of a gadget nerd and have always wanted Digital Key in my next BMW ever since it was first announced back in 2020. Unfortunately with the chip shortage, BMW had gone nearly ten months building X3Ms without digital key until they started showing up last year.

Luckily, with the help of thestimp and Tim@codemybimmer who have pioneered this entire project (you guys are the best), I was able to retrofit digital key to the car. Obviously, some basic coding was involved, and after installing the necessary NFC pad, cup holders, door handle, and some additional wiring, all that was left was getting the updated VO to BMW servers. Luckily, the most recent remote software upgrade was available so I was able to download/install that and save an extra trip to the dealer.

I did run into an issue with getting the digital key onto my watch (unpairing + pairing did the trick), but other than that, using it has been seamless. It’s already been one week since I haven’t used my keys at all and the experience has been a joy. I unlock the car with my watch and place my phone onto to the charger and I’m ready to go. It’s been 100% reliable when it comes to the NFC reading and I have yet to experience any issues with it.

Most don’t see a need and/or prefer their keyfob, but personally, having one less damn thing in my pocket has been awesome.

And seriously, a huge thanks again to thestimp and Tim@codemybimmer for tackling this project and answering all of my annoying and asinine questions.

BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2023, 09:50 AM   #136
Mirage_77
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
subscription only. can order on connectedrive store or the app on the car. 1 month free and then $39, $99, and $149 for 12month/36month/lifetime respectively.

i havent added it yet but i’m thinking of just doing the one-time $149 as a peace of mind. i know it doesn’t work like a dash-cam (since it doesn’t have a “parking mode”), but it’s better than nothing.
Is this a US option? I had no idea this was a thing?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 08:29 PM   #137
tsivas27
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Car looks awesome! Love the drop.
Very tempted after your writeup.
How much of pain was install of springs/ bump stops? How long timewise?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 09:35 AM   #138
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage_77 View Post
Is this a US option? I had no idea this was a thing?
It's available in the US, and yes, it's certainly a thing. I think you can add to your vehicle build (not 100% sure), but you can definitely order it through the connected drive store after the fact at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsivas27 View Post
Car looks awesome! Love the drop.
Very tempted after your writeup.
How much of pain was install of springs/ bump stops? How long timewise?
thanks. pain was around $500 and 2-3 hours or standing/sitting as I went to a shop for the install + alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 08:16 AM   #139
zachmc241
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3M

Garage List
Man I missing out on the digital key in my 22 F97 too.. how much time and money did this cost you? I’ll be reach out to those 2 guys for some help getting mine set up!

Could you share the link to the NFC pad?

Just discovered your build journal, super sweet spec and mods 👌
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 10:20 AM   #140
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachmc241 View Post
Man I missing out on the digital key in my 22 F97 too.. how much time and money did this cost you? I’ll be reach out to those 2 guys for some help getting mine set up!

Could you share the link to the NFC pad?

Just discovered your build journal, super sweet spec and mods 👌
thanks for the comments.

as for this entire project, it took a while simply because I didn't have any of the required tools to do so; namely I purchased the ProTools app as well as an android tablet for the VO coding. on top of that, I had to wait for an OTA software update which didn't come until a month later. the actual installation of parts took me around an hour or two just to figure this stuff out since it was my first time. also along the way, some of the parts were not compatible. for example, the cupholder I purchased had a three prong connector for the lighter socket while my OEM plug was a two prong. also I reused my OEM door handle and replaced the innards with the updated door handle with the correct NFC sensor (not smart since its screwed + glued on the inside which took a long time to switch out but I didn't want to spend the extra time and money to repaint a new handle).

you can refer to the actual installation instructions from this post. it seemed daunting in the beginning but actually going through the process it was actually very simple.

if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 10:32 AM   #141
zachmc241
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
thanks for the comments.

as for this entire project, it took a while simply because I didn't have any of the required tools to do so; namely I purchased the ProTools app as well as an android tablet for the VO coding. on top of that, I had to wait for an OTA software update which didn't come until a month later. the actual installation of parts took me around an hour or two just to figure this stuff out since it was my first time. also along the way, some of the parts were not compatible. for example, the cupholder I purchased had a three prong connector for the lighter socket while my OEM plug was a two prong. also I reused my OEM door handle and replaced the innards with the updated door handle with the correct NFC sensor (not smart since its screwed + glued on the inside which took a long time to switch out but I didn't want to spend the extra time and money to repaint a new handle).

you can refer to the actual installation instructions from this post. it seemed daunting in the beginning but actually going through the process it was actually very simple.

if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Man thanks so much! I’m going to try it out. Also, If you ever have any aftermarket parts to sell please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 08:19 AM   #142
drmee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, X3MC, X7M50i

Garage List
Well Done! Looks amazing.
Appreciate 1
danniexi3072.00
      04-25-2024, 02:05 PM   #143
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Indiv F97 X3M Carbon Fiber Cooling Shroud

Indiv X3M Carbon Fiber Cooling Shroud

So Indiv recently came out with their carbon fiber cooling shroud for the F97/F98 platform and I was able to get my hands on it immediately. I didn’t have much time earlier in the week so I was finally able to get it installed late last night and I am extremely happy with the results.

First and foremost, the quality is none other than perfect. The shroud is manufactured from dry/pre-preg carbon fiber. The weave/finish is immaculate and the lack of weight compared to the stock metal plate is staggering. I assumed that because the metal shroud isn’t that large the difference wouldn’t be noticeable. Sure, it’s not going to make much difference to the vehicle itself, but when holding it in the hand you can appreciated just how light this carbon fiber piece is. Case in point, during the installation process, the weather was extremely windy. I laid both the OEM and indiv CF shroud on top of the styrofoam. Just as I was about to reach down to pick up the CF piece, it almost damn near flew away from the wind. That’s how light it was.

Installation was a breeze and quite frankly nothing to write home about. The CF shroud is perfectly matches that of the OEM metal shroud, so everything lined up perfectly. Again, quality is that of OEM. I get excited about this since it’s rare for third-party manufacturers to get the fitment to be so exact. Indiv got it done right.

BEFORE

DURING (fully exposed without plastic trim)

AFTER

Overall it’s a beautiful piece and makes a great addition to the engine bay. Very happy with this purchase.

Thank you indiv.official!!

Last edited by danniexi; Yesterday at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 5
Max Well4737.50
ttx3m341.50
95wildtt832.50
Shaun1701073.50
      04-25-2024, 02:54 PM   #144
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

Garage List
Looks awesome!
Appreciate 1
danniexi3072.00
      Yesterday, 12:31 AM   #145
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Looks nice man & it's a shame that 40% of it's covered up on the two sides. I'm not sure if it's $650 cool. But I still might want one. Simply glad they're finally releasing these.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:49 AM   #146
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Looks nice man & it's a shame that 40% of it's covered up on the two sides. I'm not sure if it's $650 cool. But I still might want one. Simply glad they're finally releasing these.
I thought exactly the same. A 1/4 is covered by the plastics both sides. These need to be available in carbon too. Then it would look perfect.
Not cheap though.
2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim, inc. seat backs. 21” 718 Alloys. Blue M Sport Callipers. Anniversary badges. Floating centre caps. Performance flow through rear spoiler. Front splitter. Carbon mirror caps. OEM carbon steering wheel trim. G80 carbon paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0