BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
floydthebarber71
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 20d

2018 X3 hood gap or something to adjust?

Hi all

Hope you don’t mind me posting here. But I’m not familiar with these cars and I’m looking to purchase a 2018 X3 30i at a decent price. Normally I’d walk away when I see this, but it simply doesn’t make sense to me.

I’ve attached pictures as I’m not sure how to embed them in the post. I went to see the car at the dealership (not BMW) and the hood has quite a large gap to the front side panel when it’s closed. Indicates an accident, right? But I couldn’t see any indications of damage repair, panels all seemed to match, no over spray etc so who knows.

On the inside under the hood, for WHATEVER reason there is oil pooled up on the rubber stopper. Circled in red. Are those adjustable at all? Why would there be oil there??

What I can’t understand is the pics posted by the dealership, which are also attached (ie every pic that shows no hood gap). The hood looks fine to me. So something happened in the shop, but there’s simply no way they’d repair it before I saw it, and I can’t spot any damage.

I’m asking this question here just in case I am missing something BMW or X3 related that this could be a cause from something simple? Or is this really messed up. The car is in otherwise mint condition, so maybe I am missing something.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum… cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 12:28 PM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydthebarber71 View Post
Hi all

Hope you don’t mind me posting here. But I’m not familiar with these cars and I’m looking to purchase a 2018 X3 30i at a decent price. Normally I’d walk away when I see this, but it simply doesn’t make sense to me.

I’ve attached pictures as I’m not sure how to embed them in the post. I went to see the car at the dealership (not BMW) and the hood has quite a large gap to the front side panel when it’s closed. Indicates an accident, right? But I couldn’t see any indications of damage repair, panels all seemed to match, no over spray etc so who knows.

On the inside under the hood, for WHATEVER reason there is oil pooled up on the rubber stopper. Circled in red. Are those adjustable at all? Why would there be oil there??

What I can’t understand is the pics posted by the dealership, which are also attached (ie every pic that shows no hood gap). The hood looks fine to me. So something happened in the shop, but there’s simply no way they’d repair it before I saw it, and I can’t spot any damage.

I’m asking this question here just in case I am missing something BMW or X3 related that this could be a cause from something simple? Or is this really messed up. The car is in otherwise mint condition, so maybe I am missing something.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum… cheers!
To me the hood at the side shown in your photo doesn’t appear to have the retaining U latch engaged, hence it isn’t closed properly at that side. Depending on the latch adjustment it can be hard to close the hood without a fair bit of force. Try closing the hood with a bit more force.

The only adjustment is via the two U shape latched on the hood that hold the hood down. Turning the nut on these will cause the hood to raise or lower.

There are also two adjustable stoppers at each side near the top of the fender, so these need to be adjusted in line with changes to the U latches to avoid undue pressure.

Last edited by avi66; 12-06-2022 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #3
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
There are 3 adjustments for the hood but the one you highlighted isn't one. Maybe the gap isn't adjusted correctly.
Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-06 123114.png
Views: 303
Size:  275.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-06 123132.png
Views: 324
Size:  329.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot 2022-12-06 123146.png
Views: 274
Size:  244.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #4
floydthebarber71
Rep

Ah cheers guys! When I go back there to test drive the car I will make sure to try to get this right. I think that weird oil on the rubber stopper completely threw me, it was all seeming a bit odd…
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydthebarber71 View Post
Ah cheers guys! When I go back there to test drive the car I will make sure to try to get this right. I think that weird oil on the rubber stopper completely threw me, it was all seeming a bit odd…
The oil is probably unrelated.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #6
floydthebarber71
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
The oil is probably unrelated.
Cheers yeah. No idea why there would be oil there anyway, no reason for there to be.. it’s a bit far removed from anything that would have oil, so must be something random.
Appreciate 0