BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #1
jnmaserrano
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 2018

Our cars are smarter than what we think

Hello, i just realized that when i drive with the efficient dinamics open, the car shows whn i stop in an intersention, and stop signal, and many other messages. That let me to think that our cars are incredibly limited by BMW so we don't enjoy them

So i wonder why we can have camera recording, more rich hud...
Attached Images

Last edited by jnmaserrano; 12-02-2022 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 12:04 AM   #2
DonSylver
Snr Field Engineer 👮🏾*♂️
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 G02 X4 M40i, Alpine White

I understand what you mean.
Of course these cars are smart, mine switches off at traffic lights at entry to roundabout and tells roundabout detected, then switches on again and says moving traffic detected. . .
It also jams on the brakes if it thinks you are going too fast and wouldn’t stop in time.

The fact is BMW have built in a fantastic software but they don’t want to put all the physical equipment to utilise that software so HUD, 360cams, etc are all extra costing gadgets which they will give you as options to add on and pay for. But the software is still same for that grade/trim. Hence people get bimmercode to tune the cars to do what they want and you can build in HK speakers, HUD, digital dash etc if you purchase those extra cables and equipment in the market.
You can code it to do more or just enjoy your car how you see fit! the joys of owning a bimmer
joft6145.50
      12-03-2022, 02:27 AM   #3
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

I want to go back to time when cars were "dumb", and definitely not autonomous.
Appreciate 4
      12-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #4
pritchd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Using CarPlay, I'm always a little unsettled when I start up and the it tells me that my destination is xx miles away and traffic is xxx based on the time and day and my usual driving patterns.

9:15 Sunday - hey, maybe I'm NOT going to church this morning - 1:45 Thursday - maybe today I'm not on the way to pick up my granddaughter from school.
      12-05-2022, 12:41 PM   #5
gkgeiger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i, '23 Z4 M40i order

I found this funny.
Attached Images

12-05-2022, 07:25 PM   #6
cutnsew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
I want to go back to time when cars were "dumb", and definitely not autonomous.
Pros and cons for sure. I tried using the “traffic jam assistant” on mine. Stops, starts, accelerates, steers and everything when in a traffic jam. Was rather incredible. But it would slam on the brakes when stopping, and zoom off from a stand still. I tried adjusting the distance for the adaptive cruise but then there was just a massive gap between me and the next car. Also, (to my knowledge) it can’t see past the car in front and tell that people are about to slam on the brakes or if they’re just briefly pausing and traffic is still flowing so no need to test the 40-0 distance… still pretty crazy.

I’m sure with the right software and machine learning it’d be able to even mimic someone’s driving style
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:16 PM   #7
BillsGirlGina
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchd View Post
Using CarPlay, I'm always a little unsettled when I start up and the it tells me that my destination is xx miles away and traffic is xxx based on the time and day and my usual driving patterns.

9:15 Sunday - hey, maybe I'm NOT going to church this morning - 1:45 Thursday - maybe today I'm not on the way to pick up my granddaughter from school.
You can actually turn this off…

settings>privacy & security >location services>system services>significant locations - turn off significant locations.
      12-05-2022, 10:27 PM   #8
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnsew View Post

I’m sure with the right software and machine learning it’d be able to even mimic someone’s driving style
I think people call that at the moment, a thing called "tesla" of all things.

With kidding all sides, i do have to give up for the cbs. My E cars only have oil change due, inspection 1/2 alerts. I do appreciate more of proactive notifications from the car, just because i'm lazy.
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2022, 10:35 PM   #9
IAmSpeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutnsew View Post
Pros and cons for sure. I tried using the “traffic jam assistant” on mine. Stops, starts, accelerates, steers and everything when in a traffic jam. Was rather incredible. But it would slam on the brakes when stopping, and zoom off from a stand still. I tried adjusting the distance for the adaptive cruise but then there was just a massive gap between me and the next car. Also, (to my knowledge) it can’t see past the car in front and tell that people are about to slam on the brakes or if they’re just briefly pausing and traffic is still flowing so no need to test the 40-0 distance… still pretty crazy.

I totally feel this...I really want to utilize the traffic jam assistant plus adaptive cruise control as much as I can, however, the fact that it would suddenly accelerate when the traffic flow gets better and slam on the brake when traffic started makes me and my passenger feel extremely uncomfortable.

It's smart but also not so smart yet. In my opinion, it should gradually/incrementally accelerate when traffic gets better rather than slam on the accelerator and make the car goes from 20 mph all the way to 60 mph in seconds to pick up the traffic and vice versa.
2004 Toyota Vios | 2004 BMW X3 | 2007 Chrysler Town and Country | 2007 Ford Escape | 2008 Honda CRV | 2017 Nissan Versa Note | 2017 Toyota RAV4 | 2017 Toyota Yaris iA | 2019 Porsche 911 | 2023 BMW X4 M40i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
meecee
Rep
Drives: e90 M3, e36 CM Race Car, X3

At times the Nannie’s are too intrusive, taking away some of the driving pleasure. A car should not be smarter than the nut behind the wheel. Sadly we live in a world where many drivers are no longer consciously engaged in the art of driving.

When it comes to driver/vehicle interaction, I much prefer my s54 powered, ‘92 chassis,M3 spec converted, e36 race car.

No ABS
No Stability Control.
No Traction Control
No Nannies.

Car does what I tell it to do.

A close second is my manual transmission e90 M3 driven with every safety feature turned off.
Appreciate 0