BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2022, 04:29 PM   #1
mikeym40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

JB4 Question 2022 M40i

Hello forum,

Have a question about a JB4 since these motors can't be tuned "yet". Is it really as simple as a plug and play or does it need to be professionally tuned and installed?

Currently have a catted DP and MST Intake and the car moves, but always welcome faster.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
CurryPuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

No first hand experience with JB4, so can't comment. but from what I know, it's a plug and play device, as long as you're comfortable around cars.

On another note, would you have any videos of how the intake and the DP sound on the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #3
NY908K
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym40 View Post
Hello forum,

Have a question about a JB4 since these motors can't be tuned "yet". Is it really as simple as a plug and play or does it need to be professionally tuned and installed?

Currently have a catted DP and MST Intake and the car moves, but always welcome faster.
Thanks.
JB4 can be plug n play or if you want to push it you can adjust boost and analyze the parameters.
For 93 oct it's pretty much established you can run the preset map 2 without issue. If you want to play with ethanol you will have to look at logs etc to optimize it….
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #4
mikeym40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY908K View Post
Quote:
Hello forum,

Thanks.
JB4 can be plug n play or if you want to push it you can adjust boost and analyze the parameters.
For 93 oct it's pretty much established you can run the preset map 2 without issue. If you want to play with ethanol you will have to look at logs etc to optimize it….
Thanks. I'm debating whether to install on my own and just set to map 2 or take it to tuner and use the dyno. Anyone know JB4 tuners in NY?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #5
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Just installed a JB4 a couple weeks ago on my 2021. Get the Bluetooth add-on, trust me. The JB4 app does cost around $27 if I remember correctly. Install it yourself, run a couple different maps (I've been running Map 3 with the EWG connection), and see how you like it. Considering we have no true tuning options yet, I've been quite pleased thus far.

Installation is stupid simple, just watch their videos first. You will probably want to remove the MST shields to reach the EWG connection, it's the trickiest connection to make, but not hard. Also, don't even mess with dropping the panel under your steering wheel when running the OBDII cable. The hole through the firewall is easily accessible without doing that. If you put it in the recommended area, don't put it up next to the firewall, as it can impede your windshield wipers.

Also, how do you like the MST intake? I have one, too, just not for the X3 lolol. They sent me a B58 intake, with some other model's covers... waiting on them to send me the correct ones. I do really like the additional woosh/whistle.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 06:50 PM   #6
mikeym40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryPuff View Post
No first hand experience with JB4, so can't comment. but from what I know, it's a plug and play device, as long as you're comfortable around cars.

On another note, would you have any videos of how the intake and the DP sound on the car?
I'll try and get a sound clip next time nice day out.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
mikeym40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougherty85 View Post
Just installed a JB4 a couple weeks ago on my 2021. Get the Bluetooth add-on, trust me. The JB4 app does cost around $27 if I remember correctly. Install it yourself, run a couple different maps (I've been running Map 3 with the EWG connection), and see how you like it. Considering we have no true tuning options yet, I've been quite pleased thus far.

Installation is stupid simple, just watch their videos first. You will probably want to remove the MST shields to reach the EWG connection, it's the trickiest connection to make, but not hard. Also, don't even mess with dropping the panel under your steering wheel when running the OBDII cable. The hole through the firewall is easily accessible without doing that. If you put it in the recommended area, don't put it up next to the firewall, as it can impede your windshield wipers.

Also, how do you like the MST intake? I have one, too, just not for the X3 lolol. They sent me a B58 intake, with some other model's covers... waiting on them to send me the correct ones. I do really like the additional woosh/whistle.
I'm the most non-automotive tech saavy person. How much would an expert charge for this quick install? $50? $75
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 06:55 PM   #8
mikeym40
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougherty85 View Post

Also, love the intake. Especially with the passenger window down second gear sports plus is great.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 05:49 AM   #9
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Quote:
I'm the most non-automotive tech saavy person. How much would an expert charge for this quick install? $50? $75
Hahaha, at least you know your limits! Having never done an install before, it took me about 45 minutes. You do have to take the unit apart to plug in the bluetooth adapter and that takes a few extra minutes... not sure why they don't just do that prior to shipment.

If you can find a place that has done them before, I'd say $75 is probably reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 02:22 PM   #10
2023x3M40i
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC

Looks like you guys have some experience!

Quote:
Hello forum,

Thanks.
This is pretty off topic but I just got one of these (2023) with jb4 Relatively new here and just wondering if anyone has had any issues. I installed it yesterday and after some really hard driving i am getting a wrench light in my dash. This goes away when I restart the vehicle. I am running map2 on 93 octane and all stock otherwise, id really appreciate some insight, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #11
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023x3M40i View Post
This is pretty off topic but I just got one of these (2023) with jb4 Relatively new here and just wondering if anyone has had any issues. I installed it yesterday and after some really hard driving i am getting a wrench light in my dash. This goes away when I restart the vehicle. I am running map2 on 93 octane and all stock otherwise, id really appreciate some insight, thanks in advance!
Best thing to do is take some logs from the system to see what turns up. Don't know how they operate today.

You used to be able to send your log files into BMS & they would tell you what if any settings needed to be changed & give you the corrected settings.

FWIW to anyone: If you can read, look at pictures & follow instructions it should not take over an hour to install the system.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 12:33 AM   #12
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Best thing to do is take some logs from the system to see what turns up. Don't know how they operate today.

You used to be able to send your log files into BMS & they would tell you what if any settings needed to be changed & give you the corrected settings.

FWIW to anyone: If you can read, look at pictures & follow instructions it should not take over an hour to install the system.
He needs to update firmware. He is on v17...it's now v22 stable.
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler3983.00