BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #23
jrodri7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 XDrive30e, M Sport

UPDATE #1:

I was notified last week (Day5) that vehicle had codes cleared, software reset, and was test driven (3 miles) and was working normally with no fault codes.

I picked up the vehicle Day 6 and picked up the car. Put the vehicle in sports mode and took it on the nearby highway. Was okay for a mile or two, but then the stuttering and vibration was noticeable between 1500 - 2000 RPM. I had to take a quick video of the noise the passenger seat was making from all the vibration. Drivetrain malfunction warning came up on screen and said driving was possible. took the backroads home. EV driving was not available after this error message, so it stayed on the ICE.

Went back to the dealer and they called down the tech that diagnosed and road tested my vehicle to do a road test with me. Now it has been back in for a total of 10 days.

Apparently they have replaced spark plugs and are still diagnosing. I specifically discussed the possibility of water in the gas tank and/or a possible issue with the fuel sensor with the technician during the road test

They are stumped because they cannot see how there would be any mechanical issues with a vehicle that is so new.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #24
Dilbert2402
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodri7 View Post
UPDATE #1:

I was notified last week (Day5) that vehicle had codes cleared, software reset, and was test driven (3 miles) and was working normally with no fault codes.

I picked up the vehicle Day 6 and picked up the car. Put the vehicle in sports mode and took it on the nearby highway. Was okay for a mile or two, but then the stuttering and vibration was noticeable between 1500 - 2000 RPM. I had to take a quick video of the noise the passenger seat was making from all the vibration. Drivetrain malfunction warning came up on screen and said driving was possible. took the backroads home. EV driving was not available after this error message, so it stayed on the ICE.

Went back to the dealer and they called down the tech that diagnosed and road tested my vehicle to do a road test with me. Now it has been back in for a total of 10 days.

Apparently they have replaced spark plugs and are still diagnosing. I specifically discussed the possibility of water in the gas tank and/or a possible issue with the fuel sensor with the technician during the road test

They are stumped because they cannot see how there would be any mechanical issues with a vehicle that is so new.
I assume it wasn't anyone senior who told you that because it's new they cannot see why it would be any mechanical issue! Sometimes things fail and if they're not looking for the unusual then there's little chance of them finding it.
Appreciate 1
jrodri724.00
      09-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #25
jrodri7
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE #2:

Vehicle was picked up last week after another week in service.

They road tested the vehicle numerous times over 4 days and put about 30 miles on it altogether.

Based on the RO, issue was a misfire in cylinder 1, which prompted a replacement injector and spark plug, followed by an EME and DME reprogram.

What I found interesting, is that even after replacing the burnt spark plug and the injector, they experienced the misfire.

It seems that the issue did not go away until the EME and DME were reprogrammed.

So I wonder, was faulty software the cause of the issue to begin with? What was interesting was this first entry in the notes: 1468 SOFTWARE UPDATE NEEDED

Anywho, for now, issue seems to be corrected. Unfortunately the EME reprogram means I hav no EV mileage history and MyBMW showed 0 charging sessions. Oh well, it was only 7 weeks old, so there were only like 500 EV miles and 22x session anyway.

Fingers crossed I can feel confident again driving the vehicle and get back to enjoying a fast, silent commute again.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #26
ECinEI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodri7 View Post
UPDATE #2:

Vehicle was picked up last week after another week in service.

They road tested the vehicle numerous times over 4 days and put about 30 miles on it altogether.

Based on the RO, issue was a misfire in cylinder 1, which prompted a replacement injector and spark plug, followed by an EME and DME reprogram.

What I found interesting, is that even after replacing the burnt spark plug and the injector, they experienced the misfire.

It seems that the issue did not go away until the EME and DME were reprogrammed.

So I wonder, was faulty software the cause of the issue to begin with? What was interesting was this first entry in the notes: 1468 SOFTWARE UPDATE NEEDED

Anywho, for now, issue seems to be corrected. Unfortunately the EME reprogram means I hav no EV mileage history and MyBMW showed 0 charging sessions. Oh well, it was only 7 weeks old, so there were only like 500 EV miles and 22x session anyway.

Fingers crossed I can feel confident again driving the vehicle and get back to enjoying a fast, silent commute again.
Has this issue been resolved for you? My wife's 30e has been experiencing what sounds like the same issue. Her 30e was in a couple of weeks ago for the second time after experiencing shaking and shuttering as the car transitions from battery power to ICE power. In this process, a drivetrain malfunction error is registered on the center screen and a little wrench icon is lit in the dashboard as well as the check engine light. The message in the center screen states the car is drivable and roadside assistance is not needed. It also states the car may have reduced power.

The stored codes found, and this is quoted from the work order:

"fault codes for SME and misfire cylinder 1. Performed test plan for SME and was directed to program vehicle. Diag Code: D6125_SME00000_90_202. Programed vehicle. Removed spark plugs to inspect and found no signs of fouled plugs." Technician swapped spark plugs and ignition coils around. Test drove vehicle (probably around the dealers parking lot) and "vehicle did not set any further codes."

Four days later the car is doing the same thing. When transitioning from battery to ICE car shakes and vibrates and throws a drivetrain malfunction as described above. I'm waiting for the dealer to contact me with a loaner and then the 30e will go back for a third attempt at repairing this issue.

Car works perfectly fine on battery power which is 90-95% of what my wife does so it hasn't been a huge issue day to day at present. But all we have right now, in a practical sense, is a very expensive golf cart!

So back to my question did the repair work out for your vehicle?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #27
jrodri7
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, the issue has been resolved.

They finally replaced the injector and the spark plug in cylinder #1. What I found interesting is that the shop notes stated the issue was still present UNTIL they did a full DME and EME re-programming. So I am not fully confident that the failure was in a particular component FIRST, or something with the software caused the issue.

Thinking back to the first time I noticed the hesitation (car would badly shake and stutter between 1500 - 2000 rpm in ICE) I did not get the drivetrain malfunction.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #28
jrodri7
Private
United_States
Rep

I should have mentioned that I have driven 600 miles since the last repair. Including over 200 miles on ICE due to a long trip to visit my sister a couple of weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #29
karlthiele
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330E, BMW X3 Hybrid 30E

Same Issue on X3 30E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidriver View Post
I took delivery on a 2021 X3 30e on Nov. 4 2020. Three weeks/250 miles later, the check engine light came on. They replaced the fuel sensor. Two months later (1000 miles on the car), engine light back on. They replaced the module that controls the fuel sensor. Both times it was in the shop for 3 weeks, total of 6 weeks without my car.

When the first engine light came on, the EV battery stopped showing a full charge even at 100% full--the mileage range dropped from 19 miles to 8-10. The actual mileage was more than 10 but less than 19.

That is now happening again, but this time it's AFTER their fix for the 2nd engine light.

In the 2.5 months I drove it between service calls, the battery consistently charged to a range of 19 miles at full, and delivered a little more than that most days. I live in Colorado and it was cold (often below zero) and snowy that whole time, and I'd use the heater etc... but the two times this has happened the weather was warmer and drier than that (40s).

Also, it is my understanding that while the actual mileage on a full charge will obviously very depending on conditions and use, the range on a full charge should stay consistent. My car is garaged at 65 degrees, and I use a Level 2 charger.

I have no idea what's going on and am about to send it back into the dealer AGAIN. I have seen some people say they experienced this after their recalled battery was repaired, wondering if there's any way BMW could have put a "repaired" battery in my car when they built in in October?

This is my first BMW and I am not impressed! What might I expect, if anything, for compensation? (CO has a lemon law, and I qualify now, but it means hiring a lawyer etc... yuck.)

TIA
Thanks Skidriver

Just took deliver of a used X3 30E (2021, w/ 7Kmiles) from the BMW dealership. I also have a 330E, and for the most part, tend to love BMW hybrids.

We've only had the car for 2 weeks, have driven the car about 500 miles, and this issue has already happened to us 4x times. It happens when the battery is fully charged. We get error messages related to the transmission, and both the engine and wrench light show up. The car relies just on the gas engine (no EV), and tends to drive poorly in this mode (less smooth in gear transitions and in acceleration). Also noticed that pre-conditioning does not work when the car is in this state (ie. the car thinks that there is 0 charge in the battery). Anbd finally, when in this state, the system will blink red if attempting to charge. Your insights regarding temperature are likely applicable ... we live in MA, where the temperature has varied significantly over the past 2 weeks.

Was worried that it was related to the charge rate ... varied that on the car. No difference. Also worried that it had to do w/ our home charger (std 120V ac plug using the charger that came w/ the car). However, this has also happened when charging at 3rd party high-current high-speed chargers.

I notice that the car recovers after a day when the battery is perhaps a little bit depleted (not at 100%). It would likely work better if I had the option to only charge the battery to 90% (similar to the Tesla's).

We are taking it into the dealership tomorrow (Manchester NH). Wondering if the BMW dealership in Portland ME knew about this problem before they sold it to us. It did seem strange that the original owner was getting rid of it after less than 1 year.

That said, when working, it is a beautiful driving car.

Any recommendations or insights would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #30
victor3d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 x30i

2021 3.0e electrical problems

Firstly, my vehicle was placed on recall for defective batteries. It took about 3 months for the batteries to be tested and then replaced. Since then a new problem has arrived namely check engine light comes on with message that the drivetrain has been disabled and battery charge reads --- Brought the vehicle in to service and problem repeated after 1 week. Was informed this time that a software update was performed and will pick up the X3.0e today and then post the results. Needless to say, my wife and I are loosing faith. When it works, it seemed like a good alternative giving us over 50mpg overall for mostly short range driving. I did also receive a $5K tax credit. this is the 12th BMW that I have owned so I am pretty much a die hard buyer.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 05:43 PM   #31
Skidriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 30e

I now need ANOTHER software update

Check Engine light came on 2 weeks after my 2-year maintenance was done. I don't understand why BMW can't alert shops that an update is coming, and then alert owners when it's needed, too. The CE light is nerve-racking.

I love my 30e when it works, but BMW needs to get better at managing EVs!

Sorry you both seem to have had way worse problems than I have--like, actual problems, whereas so far all I've had are warning lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 07:05 AM   #32
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

I had this issue once. The recommended fix at the dealer was a full software update including DME. It never happened since.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #33
Skidriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post
I had this issue once. The recommended fix at the dealer was a full software update including DME. It never happened since.
Yeah, that's the fix. Unfortunately I've had to take my car in 4 times over 2 years for software updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #34
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
This misfire issue has been escalated to Service Action (SIB 12 10 21_SERVICE ACTION_ PROGRAM CONTROL UNITS (DME).pdf) since 11/14/2022. The cause of misfire is due to "an unfavorable operating point, primarily in the low-end torque range, an incorrect detection of a mixture that is too rich could happen. As a result, an incorrect adaptation value is stored, which could lead to the risk of misfires."

The SIB calls for updating DME using I-level >= S15A-22-11-520. I think BMW will notify affected owner soon. In the meantime, the SIB is attached to this post.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:33 PM   #35
Skidriver
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks mattsheng I will let my dealer know about this as I schedule the fix. Just had a different recall on a software problem in April FFS. I am a 1st-time BMW owner, can't say I'm enjoying the experience. No other car I've owned has had even *one* problem, in 40 years. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 10:47 PM   #36
Gbm4th
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3.0E

I am sorry to hear that some of you have had challenges with the 30e. I wondered why BMW was still building them in the US but was not offering a 2022 30e here in the US.

I have a 2021 30e July 2021 build date and it has been a pleasure to drive without any of the issues mentioned (knock on wood). I have driven over 15,000 miles I am averaging almost 60 mpg. I only see 16-17 electric miles when charging with a level 1 charger.

I have had faster cars but I really enjoy the quiet of electric-hybrid drive and I like the X3 model line. I have previously owned a 2007, 2013, 2016 and now a 2021.

Maybe in later models BMW figured out how to avoid the challenges some of the earlier 30e models experienced and I hope they rectify the problems some of you are experiencing. It really is a nice car with great gas mileage if the battery range and driving style fit your needs.

George
Appreciate 1
ADIUK89.00