BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #45
TomTomTom
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
You sound like you'd like my MY13 Toyota RAV4. When you turn it off, everything dies. Dead. Silence. Including that phone call you might be on -- or that last guitar solo in "Thunderstuck". I absolutely hate that if the engine isn't running, none of the car's systems are.

I much prefer the BMW system, esp. in the G01 in which the audio button turns off everything. I don't accept that it's "two steps" to stop the car. The way I see it, it's selective shutdown, in which they are multiple states for the car. (There's a good description of these states in the OM.)

I like being able to match the current state of the car to what I want it to do.
I just want the car to operate properly, according to the Owners Manual. As I have enabled "automatic idle state" in iDrive, when I open the car door, it is supposed to go into "idle mode" (unless I am on a call). It does not do this regularly, requiring me to take the extra step of pressing the radio volume button. It is likely that I have (and from what dealer is saying, several others) a problem with my X3 - gremlins that they are working on a fix for. Just want this to work the way my Audi does, flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #46
TomTomTom
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAC View Post
I've found that when I turn off the ignition and open the door at the same time or less than a second apart, the power does not shut off. Then I just have to remember to lock it, even in the garage.
Not right that we have to do that. I can monitor this car from thousands of miles away with its tech capably, but I have to lock it every time I leave it to fully shut it down. Nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #47
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomTom View Post
I just want the car to operate properly, according to the Owners Manual. As I have enabled "automatic idle state" in iDrive, when I open the car door, it is supposed to go into "idle mode" (unless I am on a call). It does not do this regularly, requiring me to take the extra step of pressing the radio volume button. It is likely that I have (and from what dealer is saying, several others) a problem with my X3 - gremlins that they are working on a fix for. Just want this to work the way my Audi does, flawlessly.
Welcome to BMW software. In all three BMWs I've owned, there have always been bugs -- most of them never fixed -- that drive me crazy, like this one appears to be doing to you.

My experience tells me that it's better to live with them. The dealer, who has exactly zero technically knowledgeable techs ("You mean that router doesn't shape wood?"), will start by reprogramming the car and then proceed to willy-nilly module replacement. In addition to ripping apart what ever portion of the car hides the module PUMA calls for replacing -- and never quite getting it back the way it was from the factory -- they'll introduce other errors.

BMW electronics are the bitter pill of owning an otherwise really nice car.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #48
Ragnarkov
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 i30xdrive

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
I don't care what anyone says, with tech, there are ALWAYS going to be glitches, big or small. It's the nature of the beast.

My wife's Merc.. has glitches.

My Honda pilot (that I'm trading in) has glitches.

My wife's old accord had glitches.

My wife's old fiat had glitches.

Think about it. Everything this tech does... from showing you the time, to giving you a 3D view of your surroundings from miles and miles away, is all controlled by ones and zeros. Billions, and billions... of ones and zeros.

I'm not saying it's nice. But it's there. And it's never going away.

IMO, if it's something you can't live with (like it affects the safety of the car, etc) then you get it worked on. If it doesn't, it might be better to try and live with it. like was mentioned before, the work that would go into possibly fixing these issues, can always introduce new ones in the process.

It's obviously up to the individual, but I hate when people say something works 100% over something else that doesn't. If you used every part of the system, every day, your find once in a while, every car would have glitches. Some might just be more apparent than others.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #49
dagneto
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinAC View Post
I've found that when I turn off the ignition and open the door at the same time or less than a second apart, the power does not shut off. Then I just have to remember to lock it, even in the garage.
Agreed... I often turn off the ignition and then have to grab my phone and bag. by that time when I open the door, power shuts down.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:34 PM   #50
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

Last door opening shuts my car down. Or press down volume knob for 2 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:06 AM   #51
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

minor observation, the slot to the right of the wireless charging tray is perfect for the key fob, i think it's designed to fit the fob exactly.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #52
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
minor observation, the slot to the right of the wireless charging tray is perfect for the key fob, i think it's designed to fit the fob exactly.
That's where I put it when I'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #53
West Austin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i w Msport

I think it’s working as designed (for me). If i turn off ignition and wait a second or twice and then open door, everything turns off from immediately. If i have already opened the door or have opened very close to the same moment i turned off ignition then the car thinks i want the car to run while opening the door. Then it will turn off when i lock car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 06:05 PM   #54
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Here's something that I couldn't find in the manual. It's apparently another one of those undocumented things you discover as you own the car.

If you have DAP+ (which gives you the radar receiver in the lower front valence) and ASS is enabled in Comfort or EcoPro mode, the car will restart the engine when the car in front pulls away. IOW, you don't need to lift off the brake pedal to restart the engine.

When ASS first showed up on F30s (I have one), ASS haters complained that delay in engine restart was dangerous. In six years of owning an F30 that I drive with ASS enabled at all times, I've never had a problem.

DAP+ makes it even more unlikely there'd be a problem with engine restart.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      05-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #55
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Quote:
Not right that we have to do that. I can monitor this car from thousands of miles away with its tech capably, but I have to lock it every time I leave it to fully shut it down. Nuts.
Reminds me of the last surprise rain storm where I couldn't close the windows/doors/moon hatch remotely using either method. I guess they can't think of everything, but I wish they would pay quicker attention to us here lol!
      05-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #56
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Here's something that I couldn't find in the manual. It's apparently another one of those undocumented things you discover as you own the car.

If you have DAP+ (which gives you the radar receiver in the lower front valence) and ASS is enabled in Comfort or EcoPro mode, the car will restart the engine when the car in front pulls away. IOW, you don't need to lift off the brake pedal to restart the engine.

When ASS first showed up on F30s (I have one), ASS haters complained that delay in engine restart was dangerous. In six years of owning an F30 that I drive with ASS enabled at all times, I've never had a problem.

DAP+ makes it even more unlikely there'd be a problem with engine restart.

I’ll try that tomorrow. I have both options and never knew that. Thx for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #57
UKBazzer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30d MSport

Non dipping passenger mirror

Someone posted that their passenger side mirror was not dipping when in reverse gear.
As someone else quite rightly stated, the mirror adjust switch must me set to the driver side.
However, that still didn’t work for me.
I picked my G01 up at the end of November - probably one of the first on the road. I noticed the non-dipping problem immediately as I had had an F25 X3 for the previous 6 years.
The problem was eventually fixed by the dealer in March with a software update.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #58
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

With gesture control you can program it for ‘last used items’ from the menu. What is the button( or button combination) to get to the last used items if you have an other gesture programmed (such as screen off)?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #59
Ashsarhaz93
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrium View Post
Best one one mentioned in the other thread: to resume the advanced cruise control, you can push the left knob up instead of pressing the gas pedal when the car in front starts moving. Much more convenient.
You can also just press the "Resume/Cancel" button on the steering wheel 👍
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #60
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozzi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
thats good to know - for me, open the door close it re open it usually shut everything off, not always. in the end i would just lock the car when done to be sure its off. on my F25, you could press the start/stop button a 2nd time without the brake pedal pressed would shut everything down. with brake pressed it restarted the engine. I keep trying to do it on the G01 but it doesn't do anything.

Update - powering down all the electronics by pressing radio power button for 2-3 seconds is great! thanks it helps a lot
Quote:
No one finds it ridiculous that we have to go through a 2 step button pressing process to shut these cars down, even when the car is supposed to have an automatic power down when you open the door? Does the car have to facing east and I have to rub my belly and tap the roof three times as well? Don't have to do this in my Audi. I have drained my battery 3 times in the past month because of this issue.
If your battery drained 3 times in the past month, there is something wrong with your X3. No way automatic shutdown working properly would drain your battery once...let alone 3 times. These vehicles are also programmed to auto shutdown after 5 minutes. I believe the auto lock feature has been removed in the G01 so the doors will never lock on their own. I would go have it checked out.

I also started to notice our X3's know exactly how many people are in the vehicle at all times. If I am alone and I press the the ignition off, as soon as I pull the door handle, everything turns off. No need to push twice. If I have a passenger and I push the ignition off, last person to open their door turns everything off and so on, including rear passengers.

Hope this helps
iDrive 7 has a menu option to shutdown radio etc. as soon as door is opened.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:03 PM   #61
shrinivaskk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
meanmusic...

Thank you for that tip. If anyone wants to know how its done...

1.) stop at the location you want the pano camera to automatically activate

2.) press the pano camera button (if your car is equipped with one)

3.) push the iDrive controller to the left

4.) select the third icon down on the list (its the icon showing a camera with a + sign) and select Add Activation Point

Thats it...
How do I know if my car has one as per your point 2?

I have the front camera though (if you mean the same). But where do i see the button then?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #62
gtmassive75
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5,G20 M340,Infiniti Q50RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinivaskk View Post
How do I know if my car has one as per your point 2?

I have the front camera though (if you mean the same). But where do i see the button then?

This might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RziW6FPfLGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCbNTdhUC1c
2020 G05 MSport 40i--Phytonic Blue Metallic/Vernasca Coffee Leather/Multi Contour SeatsTrim/Executive Package/MSport Brakes/Icon Adaptive Led HeadlightsW/Laserlight/Harman Kardon/Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering

Last edited by gtmassive75; 12-03-2020 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #63
dvknyc888
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive 30i

For those with Parking Assistant package with 3D cameras, is there a way to switch between front and rear view cameras when maneuvering at a parking lot?

When you hit reverse the rear-view comes on automatically as expected, however when you go back to drive it would be nice to see the front camera view in certainty situations (I am not referring to the 3D view, just looking to straight up shot from the front camera).

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 04:07 PM   #64
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I've chosent to lock out the "trunk open" button from the keyfob and liftgate open only when car is unlocked. I think my handsfree liftgate is no longer working when the car is locked. Anyone else know any different? I'm afraid of the liftgate opening w/o my knowledge but I also want my handsfree liftgate back!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #65
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
  1. You can check your exact engine oil temperature by asking your BMW personal assistant! Simply push the microphone button on your steering wheel and ask "what's the engine oil temperature?" Your BMW personal assistant will tell you the current oil temperature, e.g. 1xx degree celsius. I found out about this when I was reading the oil temperature gauge and saw it was at 100+ Celsius (212+ F) and got a bit worried. So decided to ask my BMW personal assistant haha! I used to own an Audi A3 8V with EA888 gen3 engine and it never got hotter than 99 degree Celsius. These B motors run hot!!!
  2. You get a finer reading on your tire pressure when switching the pressure unit from psi to kpa in iDrive 7. My 21" Bridgestones get super loud when they get up to temp so I'd like to run them at a lower pressure than the factory spec 38 psi front and 41 psi rear. The owner manual specifies 2.6 bar front and 2.8 bar rear, which are 37.7 psi and 40.6 psi, respectively. So I switched the pressure unit in iDrive 7 to kpa instead (1 bar = 100 kpa). Now iDrive 7 and MyBMW app will give you a much finer reading on your tire pressure! When the pressure unit was psi, MyBMW app can read xx.0 psi or xx.9 psi. Now it can correctly display your tire pressure to the 1st decimal place in psi.
  3. When coding/diagnosing your car, it's best to turn off all electrical components. I will turn off my
    • headlight
    • daytime running light
    • ambient light
    • iDrive screen (push the option button on your iDrive controller and turn off display)
    • Brightness of cluster to the lowest (noob right next to the headlight switch)
    If there are more things that can be turned off, please let me know! I learned this the hard way when I was fooling around with my A3 8V and accidentally drain the battery... The cluster told me "Battery Level Low" so I immediately start cranking the engine hoping the alternator can charge the battery up. No such luck...
Name:  tire_pressure.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  71.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 02:20 AM   #66
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Any tip how to see my music files on USB sorted as folders (as in the filesystem), not mixed strangely by the ID3 tag?

See VAG:
Appreciate 0