BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
X3 Tips and tricks

One thing that was a concern for me the first few days that I owned the X3 was the fact that after I closed down the engine, the instrument cluster, the iDrive screen, radio, and a other indicators would remain on until they closed down after exit. I didn't like that. When I turn off the ignition I want every thing to go black/off/goodnight.

The only thing I remembered doing was pressing the radio button for a second to mute it because I knew how to do that. I guess I pressed the radio button to long because everything shut down. I tried it again, everything went black. If this is covered in the manual, I must have missed it.

So, just pressing the radio button for 2 or 3 seconds turns everything off, Nice!

Any similar tips or tricks that you have learned maybe by trial and error?
Appreciate 3
abcsoup184.50
      04-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
thats good to know - for me, open the door close it re open it usually shut everything off, not always. in the end i would just lock the car when done to be sure its off. on my F25, you could press the start/stop button a 2nd time without the brake pedal pressed would shut everything down. with brake pressed it restarted the engine. I keep trying to do it on the G01 but it doesn't do anything.

Update - powering down all the electronics by pressing radio power button for 2-3 seconds is great! thanks it helps a lot

Last edited by greg2step; 04-26-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
Sea-Tac1455.00
      04-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Great tip

Sea Tac,

My wife and I had the same issue with the lights, screen and dash staying on.

We will try your audio volume tip..

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1455.00
      04-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

Activation Points

Useful feature that may have been missed in the manual is automatically activating the Front Panoramic camera at specific GPS location that you can set. If you travel regularly through intersections or areas where the Panoramic Camera can help provide better visibility of on coming traffic you can set it to turn on as soon as you get to that GPS location in the Nav. Up to 30 can be set from with the Panoramic Camera menu option "Add activation point".
Appreciate 9
      04-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmusic View Post
Useful feature that may have been missed in the manual is automatically activating the Front Panoramic camera at specific GPS location that you can set. If you travel regularly through intersections or areas where the Panoramic Camera can help provide better visibility of on coming traffic you can set it to turn on as soon as you get to that GPS location in the Nav. Up to 30 can be set from with the Panoramic Camera menu option "Add activation point".
That’s a great one to know, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
Sea Tac,

My wife and I had the same issue with the lights, screen and dash staying on.

We will try your audio volume tip..

Thanks

Wallyf
The other one my wife discovered is that you can kick to close the tailgate too. Maybe I need to really read the manual. I'm sure that one is in there.

Last edited by Sea-Tac; 04-26-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Like I said to Wallyf...I have got to read the manual again...that said, I know exactly where I'm going to use this one...pulling out of the damn Safeway parking lot!!

Do you know if there is a speed limit feature at the activation point? What i mean by this is...do you have to be going less than a certain speed? My cameras go off around 8-12 mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Like I said to Wallyf...I have got to read the manual again...that said, I know exactly where I'm going to use this one...pulling out of the damn Safeway parking lot!!

Do you know if there is a speed limit feature at the activation point? What i mean by this is...do you have to be going less than a certain speed? My cameras go off around 8-12 mph.
Yes, otherwise it immediately turns off
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Why would they not allow rear camera to do the same?
I tried to set it for backing out of my driveway - and it was not possible
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

Probably because reversing turns on Parking Assist camera view along with Crossing Traffic Warning feature to warn you of oncoming traffic if you have the feature.
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1455.00
      04-26-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

meanmusic...

Thank you for that tip. If anyone wants to know how its done...

1.) stop at the location you want the pano camera to automatically activate

2.) press the pano camera button (if your car is equipped with one)

3.) push the iDrive controller to the left

4.) select the third icon down on the list (its the icon showing a camera with a + sign) and select Add Activation Point

Thats it...

Last edited by Sea-Tac; 04-26-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
dmicah769.00
      04-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Great tips!

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

This isn't a tip, but it's something that I've searched the printed and online manuals for and didn't find an explanation about.

You know that row of people icons that are in red in the dash below the clock/temperature on non-6WB IPs when you start the car?

They're rear seat belt status indicators. Red for unbuckled; green when buckled. Without documentation, this would only be obvious the first time you had less than three passengers in the rear seat who are buckled up.

We haven't had any rear-seat passengers in the car yet, so tonight I buckled one of the rear belts and, as you'd expect, it displayed green at engine start.

It's cool when you figure it out, but one shouldn't have to. It should be in the owner's manual.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #14
dotcomgirl
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

This trick may be obvious to some, but I was hating the music display of what’s playing. Let’s say I’m on the satellite radio channel page and I select a channel. I was initially clicking on the title/artist and it gave me a page displaying that same info but still quite blank and boring. I tried the home page and that worked for showing the CD image and song info, but it’s small.

I randomly discovered that once you select a radio channel, just make sure your compass is slid open on the bottom right of that same screen. Your radio half of the screen will shortly jump to a CD display and the compass will remain on the right. I feel like it’s a much better display for music.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #15
GGEVOX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i, F36 440xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
This isn't a tip, but it's something that I've searched the printed and online manuals for and didn't find an explanation about.

You know that row of people icons that are in red in the dash below the clock/temperature on non-6WB IPs when you start the car?

They're rear seat belt status indicators. Red for unbuckled; green when buckled. Without documentation, this would only be obvious the first time you had less than three passengers in the rear seat who are buckled up.

We haven't had any rear-seat passengers in the car yet, so tonight I buckled one of the rear belts and, as you'd expect, it displayed green at engine start.

It's cool when you figure it out, but one shouldn't have to. It should be in the owner's manual.

Was wondering about that myself.
Appreciate 1
arciga181728.50
      04-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #16
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I've found that if I wait just 2-3 seconds to open the door after shutting off the engine, the radio shuts off when the door is opened. If I immediately open the door it stays running. Not sure why but it's nice to choose the behavior in a convenient way.
Appreciate 1
rrao5610.00
      04-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #17
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcomgirl View Post
This trick may be obvious to some, but I was hating the music display of what’s playing. Let’s say I’m on the satellite radio channel page and I select a channel. I was initially clicking on the title/artist and it gave me a page displaying that same info but still quite blank and boring. I tried the home page and that worked for showing the CD image and song info, but it’s small.

I randomly discovered that once you select a radio channel, just make sure your compass is slid open on the bottom right of that same screen. Your radio half of the screen will shortly jump to a CD display and the compass will remain on the right. I feel like it’s a much better display for music.
Compass is slid open? Not sure I'm following you.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 02:29 AM   #18
JamnX3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Great tip! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #19
dotcomgirl
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Compass is slid open? Not sure I'm following you.
On the channel selection screen, you’ll see a little tab at the bottom right (shown here by the yellow arrow). Slide it over with your finger and a compass screen will slide into view. Then, give it a moment, and the left side of the screen will change to display as shown.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      04-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #20
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcomgirl View Post
On the channel selection screen, you’ll see a little tab at the bottom right (shown here by the yellow arrow). Slide it over with your finger and a compass screen will slide into view. Then, give it a moment, and the left side of the screen will change to display as shown.
OK...I got you...never noticed that before. Thank you. To pull up the split screen was pressing the option button by the controller and checking Split Screen.

I noticed also that this tab is on the nav screen too. Excellent Tip!

Last edited by Sea-Tac; 04-27-2018 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #21
surfearth
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
OK...I got you...never noticed that before. Thank you. To pull up the split screen was pressing the option button by the controller and checking Split Screen.

I noticed also that this tab is on the nav screen too. Excellent Tip!
You can also tap or swipe up on the right hand side of the split screen to select different views. I have mine set on the compass plus GPS coordinates and altitude.
Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1455.00
      04-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #22
Nitrium
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021 M50i

Best one one mentioned in the other thread: to resume the advanced cruise control, you can push the left knob up instead of pressing the gas pedal when the car in front starts moving. Much more convenient.
Appreciate 3
abcsoup184.50
rrao5610.00