BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-17-2019, 05:37 AM   #1
ggla
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 MSport Plus

Spotify

I have an android phone and when i am connected via bluetooth and i select the spotify function on the car interface it allows me to see what track is playing, and i can skip forward and back, thats it. However the spotify website suggests i should be able to do more...

https://support.spotify.com/sk/liste...w-integration/

"Now you can control your Spotify music completely through ConnectedDrive and avoid the distraction of your phone."

The word "completely" suggests that perhaps i should be able to browse playlists and music. Does anyone know of a guide which shows what i should be able to do and is there a difference between android and iphone?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
Admiral776.00
      02-17-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
I have the free version with the adds playing every now and again.
I can view playlists/artists /album artwork .i can skip forward only I think 5 times only then
You have to listen to tracks in order

That does me ,don’t think I can skip backwards though
      02-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
ggla
Private First Class
Rep

Had a play about with this just there... if i launch the connected app on my phone, the spotify app shows up on the car menu, but when i press it... nothing happens. Bluetooth is playing fine which is the part that allows me to skip back and forward, but spotify app just wont launch on the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
ggla
Private First Class
Rep

Might be related to this:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ong.../idi-p/4611424
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
DADINO
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 25d M Sport

With the latest release of Spotify there are a lot of issues.
You must disinstal Spotify to your Android device and re-instal an old version.
I installed ver. 4.1 and works perfectly
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #6
ggla
Private First Class
Rep

I only see versions beginning with 8. Do you mean 8.4.1?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
ggla
Private First Class
Rep

With the updated BMW connecteddrive app released recently and the latest Spotify app on Android the Spotify car integration is now working. Although I had to delete my device from the car and readd it. Not all that impressed with the Spotify in car app though... Seeing my playlists is good but I can't see the songs in a list, just need to skip through them.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
KaedeNR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I have spotify premium but I have never been able to get it to work in ConnectedDrive. So i just listen through the BT connection.

What did you have to do to get the spotify app to show up on the car menu?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #9
ggla
Private First Class
Rep

1. Connect my android via Bluetooth (after removing it from the manage devices menu in connected drive on the car menu). Ensuring that the apps box is ticked in manage devices.
2. Launch the BMW connecteddrive app on my phone
3. In connected drive menu the Spotify app should show up - launch that
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      03-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
1. Connect my android via Bluetooth (after removing it from the manage devices menu in connected drive on the car menu). Ensuring that the apps box is ticked in manage devices.
So far, after owning the car for less than 7 days or so, the connecteddrive in the car has been a hit and miss.

Latest is the connected apps, that should show all 3 apps, Pandora, iHeart Radio and Spotify (from my Note8 as managed mobile device).

I see iHeartRadio. And Spotify. But no Pandora app.

And Spotify and iHeartRadio, when selecting these apps, nothing is shown on the car's display, empty.

On my Note8, i have the Connected app running foreground, though i don't think that is a requirement, hopefully not. I shouldn't have to fumble with phones for these 3 Connected apps to be managed from the car's infotaintment system (or, does it need to)?

But if i switch to the Bluetooth Audio, then i can hear the music played from Spotify on the phone.

Bluetooth Audio is meh................. I don't know if that is because of Note8.

The siriusxm sounds way better, sound stage and imaging just sounds better.

I haven't tried OTA radio, and hd radio, or any other music source, such as ipod.

But Bluetooth audio is urgh, just okay.

I am this close, tempted to switch to iphone, i see others saying their playback experience from wifi and carplay far exceeds that of bluetooth audio....

I do have higher end bluetooth gadget from Astern & Kern, but that requires aux audio accessible in the car, and oh yeah, we don't have aux input in the car...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #11
rainracn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I just wanted to follow-up to this and let you know this was a source of frustration when I purchased my new X3 as I have a google Pixel. It seems the latest update to Spotify now is compatible with Android phones. My Spotify on xDrive is fully integrated and can now be accessed without having to use my phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #12
Kindalake75
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggla View Post
So far, after owning the car for less than 7 days or so, the connecteddrive in the car has been a hit and miss.

Latest is the connected apps, that should show all 3 apps, Pandora, iHeart Radio and Spotify (from my Note8 as managed mobile device).

I see iHeartRadio. And Spotify. But no Pandora app.

And Spotify and iHeartRadio, when selecting these apps, nothing is shown on the car's display, empty.

On my Note8, i have the Connected app running foreground, though i don't think that is a requirement, hopefully not. I shouldn't have to fumble with phones for these 3 Connected apps to be managed from the car's infotaintment system (or, does it need to)?

But if i switch to the Bluetooth Audio, then i can hear the music played from Spotify on the phone.

Bluetooth Audio is meh................. I don't know if that is because of Note8.

The siriusxm sounds way better, sound stage and imaging just sounds better.

I haven't tried OTA radio, and hd radio, or any other music source, such as ipod.

But Bluetooth audio is urgh, just okay.

I am this close, tempted to switch to iphone, i see others saying their playback experience from wifi and carplay far exceeds that of bluetooth audio....

I do have higher end bluetooth gadget from Astern & Kern, but that requires aux audio accessible in the car, and oh yeah, we don't have aux input in the car...
Hi, I also have the Note 8. Based on your experience, please could you share what apps now work?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 09:49 AM   #13
GeorgeFanel
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Rav4

All subscribers to Spotify free and Premium versions for iOS have been given the option to add the service to their BMW. There is access to music, playlists, as well as "Radio" and "Search" functions, allowing you to find a song that perfectly suits the moment and the mood. It is controlled via the iDrive and MINI Controller. I have a subscription for https://streamingfamous.com/buy-spotify-plays/ as I develop my songs. But it can be used to connect Spotify in the BMW, that is, already on the display of thumbnails (on the steering wheel) and control them. I connect to albums and just music if it is not in my playlist.

Last edited by GeorgeFanel; 12-07-2022 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:49 AM   #14
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFanel View Post
All subscribers to Spotify free and Premium versions for iOS have been given the option to add the service to their BMW. There is access to music, playlists, as well as "Radio" and "Search" functions, allowing you to find a song that perfectly suits the moment and the mood.
I was all set to comment on the OP's question until I realized you dug up a 3.5yo thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #15
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFanel View Post
All subscribers to Spotify free and Premium versions for iOS have been given the option to add the service to their BMW. There is access to music, playlists, as well as "Radio" and "Search" functions, allowing you to find a song that perfectly suits the moment and the mood.
My connected drive Spotify App required a Premium account. Is this a change to the installed App or apply only if you're playing through your phone?
Appreciate 0