BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2022, 01:38 PM   #1
jonoklee
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i & X3 M40i

Unhappy Retrofit Parking Assistance Package on 2023 X3 M40i?

I just got my 2023 X3 M40i 2 days ago (first customized build!) but realize either we or the dealer left out the Parking Assistance Package in my build so it came without it .

My wife and I are super upset since I got all the other pkgs but this parking assistance one is most crucial since I know it'll really helps her getting around curbs and tight parking spaces, which she's terrified of.

I asked the dealer if they can install it still and they said since it'll require drilling holes in the side mirrors, they wouldn't do it, and that only the factory can do it. I then also asked other websites (e.g. bimmer-tech) to see if it was possible to retrofit but they also said it's not possible and most likely wouldn't be in the future.

Does anyone know if this is indeed impossible and require to be configured from the factory?

Or maybe the 2023 X3s are just too new that the OEM parts and shops aren't able to do it yet? Asking because it does seem like they can do it from the website (https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...stant-retrofit) but perhaps it's for pre-2023s?

Any help is much appreciated as I've been looking forward to this car since April (8mo due to supply chain issues ofc) and am just very disappointed that one of the most useful feature was left out.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice?

P.S. I know, first world problems but still very upset
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoklee View Post
I just got my 2023 X3 M40i 2 days ago (first customized build!) but realize either we or the dealer left out the Parking Assistance Package in my build so it came without it .

My wife and I are super upset since I got all the other pkgs but this parking assistance one is most crucial since I know it'll really helps her getting around curbs and tight parking spaces, which she's terrified of.

I asked the dealer if they can install it still and they said since it'll require drilling holes in the side mirrors, they wouldn't do it, and that only the factory can do it. I then also asked other websites (e.g. bimmer-tech) to see if it was possible to retrofit but they also said it's not possible and most likely wouldn't be in the future.

Does anyone know if this is indeed impossible and require to be configured from the factory?

Or maybe the 2023 X3s are just too new that the OEM parts and shops aren't able to do it yet? Asking because it does seem like they can do it from the website (https://www.bimmer-tech.net/products...stant-retrofit) but perhaps it's for pre-2023s?

Any help is much appreciated as I've been looking forward to this car since April (8mo due to supply chain issues ofc) and am just very disappointed that one of the most useful feature was left out.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice?

P.S. I know, first world problems but still very upset

The dealer should be able to order the appropriate parts for the wing mirrors with cameras already installed. Although it will probably need an additional wiring harness and other hardware plus programming. Not cheap I'd imagine, and unlikely to be offered as a retrofit by BMW dealers IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Your car doesn’t have any of the cameras. It’ll be easier to get a new car with the packages you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
jonoklee
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
The dealer should be able to order the appropriate parts for the wing mirrors with cameras already installed. Although it will probably need an additional wiring harness and other hardware plus programming. Not cheap I'd imagine, and unlikely to be offered as a retrofit by BMW dealers IMO.
Thanks for the reply, I’m willing to pay up to double the original package price ($1500). I’ll see if another dealer/authorized shop will be willing to install if mine still won’t for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
jonoklee
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Your car doesn’t have any of the cameras. It’ll be easier to get a new car with the packages you want.
I was afraid you’d say that but I would lose out on the taxes ($7k) and other fees which is really hard for me to swallow.
Appreciate 0