BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
jccx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive30i

2022 x30i Front End Noise When Stopping

My 2022 xD30i is about a year old and has less than 5k miles. It's been perfect so far. But just this week, I noticed a thump noise coming from the front end when the car comes to a complete stop. It's not a medal on medal clunk, but rather it sounds like the suspension is under a lot of stress. It doesn't happen under gentle braking, but under moderate brake, the car nose dives a little and I hear the noise when the car fully stops and the nose comes back up.

I know the front end suspension could make some noises when under tremendous load in hard braking situations. But it's odd to hear such noises in normal braking. I don't know if the cold weather has something to do with it.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 04:16 PM   #2
bbb83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3 m40i

do you have summer tires?

If you do and the temperatures drop below 60*F, that rubber hardens a lot and will make noises that you may not be accustomed to. Especially noticed over bumps etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 12:56 PM   #3
jccx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

No summer tires. I have the standard non-run-flat all season tires on 19" wheels. Honestly it sounds like suspension noise to me, rather than tire noises.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Sounds like play in the tolerance between the front wheel hub and brake rotor. There's a tsb on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #5
jccx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
Sounds like play in the tolerance between the front wheel hub and brake rotor. There's a tsb on it.
Thanks for replying! Do you happen to have the TSB number? My car is due for the first oil change this month, so I may ask the dealer to take a look. It would help if I can point them to a specific TSB, otherwise they would just give the standard excuse of not reproducible.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #6
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
I think this is the SIB brettl mentioned. But this SIB 34 05 17_TICKING NOISE WHILE CORNERING WITHOUT THE BRAKES APPLIED.pdf is for ticking noise while cornering without brakes applied. There is a video about this ticking noise
If this is what you have, then that should be an easy fix at the dealer.

I also have a '22 X3 30ixDrive and it makes a creaking and almost clucking noise when going over speed bumps and rough roads. There is currently no SIB for this noise concern but I will keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
brettl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsheng View Post
I think this is the SIB brettl mentioned. But this SIB Attachment 3046825 is for ticking noise while cornering without brakes applied. There is a video about this ticking noise
If this is what you have, then that should be an easy fix at the dealer.

I also have a '22 X3 30ixDrive and it makes a creaking and almost clucking noise when going over speed bumps and rough roads. There is currently no SIB for this noise concern but I will keep an eye on it.
This was the spirit of it, though I don't recall the exact number. I had noticed it when turning the wheel, rolling slowly like in a parking lot. Not sure the difference between the different types of service bulletins. The part is like $3, but the repair is the labor as they have to pull off the wheel and the rotors.
I had my rotors replaced in the past and I asked them to put the spacers in, they wanted to see if the noise was back after putting the car back together (which it was) but I was too lazy to get them to fix the issue (again). I have an upcoming repair (left over from an incident) where they have to pull the steering rack out of the car, I think I'll ask the dealer to add the spacers in and just charge me the $6 for the parts….
Appreciate 0