BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

M40i v SQ5

Hi All

As the title says has anyone driven the new Audi SQ5 and the BMW M40i. Had a look on the internet but would really like a real world review. I am a Bimmer man but really like the look of the SQ5.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, X3 M40i

Fake exhausts.
Appreciate 3
drexplode1786.00
greg2step211.50
kozzi927.00
      03-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcrane View Post
Fake exhausts.
Still trying to work that out, why do it on a performance SUV doesn't make sense. how are you finding your M40i if you don't mind me asking.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Interested to hear if anybody has driven both. However, if somebody preferred the Audi, unlikely they would be on this forum.

I just went to the M40i. Now on day 3 of ownership and no regrets!!!!
Appreciate 1
greg2step211.50
      03-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Plenty of post on this topic can be found here
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      03-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo535 View Post
Still trying to work that out, why do it on a performance SUV doesn't make sense. how are you finding your M40i if you don't mind me asking.
Yes, it was a strange choice, which I think they're going to back away from when they do the refresh. It's a small thing, but I couldn't get past it myself. Too bad, because I otherwise like the look of the SQ5 better myself (especially the front end).

M40i is still in break in, so haven't push it all the way, but it is certainly a stout powertrain. That aside, ride is excellent, interior is pretty quiet, seats are awesome, transmission is fantastic, and lights, tech and safety are impressive. Only complaint is that the steering doesn't feel quite as sharp/precise as the GLC 43. I knew this going in and can live with it to have a vastly better ride. That said, I have better (best?) tires on order, and am hopeful that will improve the steering feel to some degree.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

M40i is still in break in, so haven't push it all the way, but it is certainly a stout powertrain. That aside, ride is excellent, interior is pretty quiet, seats are awesome, transmission is fantastic, and lights, tech and safety are impressive. Only complaint is that the steering doesn't feel quite as sharp/precise as the GLC 43. I knew this going in and can live with it to have a vastly better ride. That said, I have better (best?) tires on order, and am hopeful that will improve the steering feel to some degree.[/QUOTE]

I’m just breaking mine in too - agree with your comments.

What tyres are you getting? I’m thinking of taking off the run flats.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
M40i is still in break in, so haven't push it all the way, but it is certainly a stout powertrain. That aside, ride is excellent, interior is pretty quiet, seats are awesome, transmission is fantastic, and lights, tech and safety are impressive. Only complaint is that the steering doesn't feel quite as sharp/precise as the GLC 43. I knew this going in and can live with it to have a vastly better ride. That said, I have better (best?) tires on order, and am hopeful that will improve the steering feel to some degree.
I’m just breaking mine in too - agree with your comments.

What tyres are you getting? I’m thinking of taking off the run flats.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Ordered 20” wheel setup and dealer messed up and gave me 19” wheels with Yokohama Adavan summer tires. I complained and got an extra $1800 off. Didn’t put many miles on them, but they seemed fine (certainly compliant). Switched to Pirelli scorpion snow & ice, which seem fine/unremarkable. I have a 20” oz wheel + michelin pilot sport 4S setup on order, which I intend to install as soon as it looks like the snow has subsided. Given my experience with Michelin pilot super sport tires, I have high hopes.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
fizzguy
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xdrive

I both test drove and actually had an SQ5 on order prior to changing to an X3 M40i (long story, I'm not sure how I missed the X3 in my research). It may be that I'm coming from a BMW (2016 340i), but it was a night and day difference in terms of drive. I found the M40i to be so much more connected to the road. The SQ5 felt like it sat significantly higher. And I loved the B58 from my 340i, and was thrilled not not have to give that up.

The other huge difference was the technology. The instrument cluster on the SQ5 was a little more impressive, but that was it. The system was slow, especially when using CarPlay. It felt genuinely underpowered, and the lack of a touchscreen was baffling at times. The M40i, on the other hand, is perfect. Crazy fast and wireless CarPlay has been flawless. I'd heard mixed reviews, and in my mind, CarPlay is the one can't-skip feature in the car.

Both are great looking vehicles. I had to hand down on my 340i earlier than I wanted, and I was really worried about missing that car. It turns out, I may prefer the M40i with its adaptive suspension and superior X-Drive system. Such an impressive vehicle--I could not be happier. BMW deserves so much credit for returning to its driver-first legacy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
utcadman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Garage List
I have both. I know that sounds weird but it just worked out that way...

Many of my observations are subjective. Some are not... the technology is the X3 is superior. Functionality and sheer speed of interface. The makes a big difference to me. The gps on the X3 is lightening quick. The sq5 is significantly slower to the point of now being irritating! The interior on the X3 is much nicer in my opinion. Passengers have agreed. The X3 feels roomier.

Engine wise it is closer. While I don't have the experience in the X3 that I do with the SQ5. The X3 is very stable and QUIET at speed. (I've had them both at real speed). The launch mode is pure fun. You don't get that rush from the Audi. However. I do think the sound of the Audi in sport mode is a bit more urgent for lack of a better term.

If there are any specific questions. Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #11
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
The SQ5 was fun but it is about 1/2 second slower to 60, not quite in the same league performance wise. It also (rightfully) reminded me a lot of my 2012 S4, just heavier. In the end I rolled the dice on an early M40i, and I'm glad I did.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
3geekfamily
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mini Hardtop JCW

We’ve gone on extended test drives in both. Cliff notes - the X3 M40i is the better of the two.

The performance of the QS5, despite being a good bit slower on paper, feels negligible. The interior is much ‘newer’ feeling on the X3, despite the SQ5 being a new model as well. The SQ5, both good and bad, basically feels like an S4 inside - with a worse seating position.

Aside from that, there were two major outliers that keep the X3 firmly on top. First, the SQ5 is significantly more prone to understeer at the limit, and the limit was a fair bit lower than the X3, and that was with the performance tires on the SQ5.

The biggest thing, though, was the brakes. The pedal on the QS5 requires a significant amount of pedal pressure to bring the car to a stop, and it was a bit squirmy under braking. The X3 felt rock solid, and very confidence-inspiring. When my wife tested the brakes on the SQ5, she instantly made her decision.

I hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Interested to hear if anybody has driven both. However, if somebody preferred the Audi, unlikely they would be on this forum.

I just went to the M40i. Now on day 3 of ownership and no regrets!!!!
You can always get the opposing view from our friends on the AudiWorld Q5/SQ5 forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #14
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

I'd definitely go create an account over at vwvortex or audi forum to get a different view point....but as far as looks go. the sq5 looks like an egg on its' side to me and gives off that sorority vehicle vibe. lol. bmw much more aggressive styling...stronger looking stance as well, audi just looks soft and round...idk, to each his own.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
240SXFAN
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

We looked at the SQ5 when we were seriously shopping. While we have not yet bought (waiting to see if any news comes out on the X3M), we decided against the SQ5.
The big hump in the rear from the transmission tunnel is noticeable. Essentially it renders the middle seat pretty much unusable.
I have heard this is because of the quattro all wheel drive in the Audi.
A cross over that cannot comfortably seat five was a no go for us.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #16
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Fake exhaust tips (why??) and really small cargo capacity - my brother has a Q5 and the cargo is even smaller in real world applications than the numbers suggest...M40i wins.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #17
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I found the SQ5 interior options to be very dark. Also my dogs would not have been happy in the back - the sloped back looks nice but at the expense of space.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #18
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Fake exhaust tips (why??) and really small cargo capacity - my brother has a Q5 and the cargo is even smaller in real world applications than the numbers suggest...M40i wins.
The fake exhaust tips don't really bother me, mostly because they barely even look like exhaust tips. Looks more like a big silver Q-tip accent.

Clearly they're supposed to be reminiscent but it doesn't seem like they were actually trying to make believable exhaust facades like others have in the past. More like "the car looks weird without a traditional exhaust tip, maybe we should add something here".

It's a decorative accent strip running along the whole rear bumper, which is seen all the time on front bumpers and often makes the car look like it's smiling. Had they not tied them together with the same black/silver strip it would probably look more like an exhaust but they usually at least punch out the insides to make it believable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #19
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've driven both. Currently own a X3 M40i. The SQ5 feels significantly slower than M40i. I traded in a 2015 Audi S3. The SQ5 felt/is slower my S3, while the M40i feels much faster than the S3. During the test drive the SQ5 it felt cumbersome, No composure, and it didn't really seem like it had that much power. After the test drive I immediately scratched it off my list. And I could never get by the fake exhausts. I went and drove a X3 30i and immediately ordered the M40i based on how the 30i felt. The SQ5 seems sloppy even when compared to the 30i.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #20
Tony
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzguy View Post
The instrument cluster on the SQ5 was a little more impressive, but that was it.
I used to think the same thing. But now I think the BMW cluster is better. The only thing the Audi cluster offers over the BMW is that the nav map can be displayed on it. And who's going to look down at the gauges for NAV info? What I think is nicer about the BMW's cluster is that you can change the gauge design,colors and style. while the Audi uses the same style gauges just smaller and larger ones depending on how you set it up. BMW's gauges also have a feature where the RPM numbers increase in size as you go through the revs. it's cool to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #21
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzguy View Post
The instrument cluster on the SQ5 was a little more impressive, but that was it.
I used to think the same thing. But now I think the BMW cluster is better. The only thing the Audi cluster offers over the BMW is that the nav map can be displayed on it. And who's going to look down at the gauges for NAV info? What I think is nicer about the BMW's cluster is that you can change the gauge design,colors and style. while the Audi uses the same style gauges just smaller and larger ones depending on how you set it up. BMW's gauges also have a feature where the RPM numbers increase in size as you go through the revs. it's cool to see.
I agree. The nav is way more useful to me on a display that is up high next to me than on a display hidden behind the wheel, competing for other instrument info. I know you can configure the Audi to display like the BMW does but that's not the flashy mode people are initially wowed by.
Appreciate 0