BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
ScubaHamster
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40I; Honda Passport

Wireless charger from Aliexpress

Anyone has had any experience with this wireless charger from Aliexpress? I've just ordered it for 22 x3M40 since it comes with the free return. It comes with the connector that plugs into 12v socket wiring underneath of the shifter cover panel and doesn't block 12v socket. Should it work for LCI?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299...c99c4238aacf-0
Appreciate 1
jkoral1024.50
      08-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
Eris496
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i/2023 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaHamster View Post
Anyone has had any experience with this wireless charger from Aliexpress? I've just ordered it for 22 x3M40 since it comes with the free return. It comes with the connector that plugs into 12v socket wiring underneath of the shifter cover panel and doesn't block 12v socket. Should it work for LCI?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299...c99c4238aacf-0
due to the efficiency of wireless charging, it charges the phone much slower than using cable and produces much heat. It's nice to have an oem wireless charger. If it's aftermarket, think over before you order it, especially the safety concern. My two cents. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
ridetime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i Tanzanite Blue

That one charges off the USB A port. It will be very slow. I recommend the SigHILL branded one on Amazon. It uses the cigarette lighter for power and can charge much faster.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
ScubaHamster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridetime View Post
That one charges off the USB A port. It will be very slow. I recommend the SigHILL branded one on Amazon. It uses the cigarette lighter for power and can charge much faster.
I don't think this one uses USB - it draws current from the cigarette lighter wire underneath of shifter panel - below the link with mounting instructions - scroll down till you see them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...53b612cc041-20

Agree, SigHill is quite good, but it blocks cigarette lighter that I use for Radar detector
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

No AliExpress car chargers here unfortunately. I like my car to be less on fire, and phone more charged.
Appreciate 3
      08-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #6
ScubaHamster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby01 View Post
No AliExpress car chargers here unfortunately. I like my car to be less on fire, and phone more charged.
Well, Nothing like this is available anywhere else. Definitely planning on testing it thoroughly before the installation.
On a separate note, I don't think it is worse or better than all these generic brands you can get of Amazon..
Appreciate 2
Eris496219.50
      08-31-2021, 03:32 AM   #7
anirudhks
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

https://allegro.pl/oferta/ladowarka-...c1-10732234676

I use this, may be you can find it on Amazon too, it has fast charging for Samsung and Apple. I have had no problems and has a snug fit in the place where you would usually have the wireless charger..
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2021, 07:49 AM   #8
DJR17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

This is the one I have. It looks like it's a factory installed part. https://www.amazon.com/FIILINES-Wire...ap_m_rp_160_sc

The only issue I have with it is the phone can slide around on it. I'm going to stick on some bumpers as soon as I can find the right thing to use.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
jrodri7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 XDrive30e, M Sport

Quote:
I totally agree - this charger has been great, always keeps up with the drain of carplay, and never had an issue with the phone heating up. Much more useful than the factory POS. People also forget that is gives you two more USB ports (and A and a C with PD) closer to the driver, which I have used to power my passenger's phone via a cable. And it has an off switch if I don't want to keep charging my hone or I want to place something else in that slot.

Have done a few long drives and it has been flawless so far.

I specifically didn't order the factory charger because of this forum, and the similar issues I had with the factory one in my previous MINI. Always overheated my phone.

I can't recommend any models from AliExpress cause I don't trust any electronics that isn't available for sale here through Amazon. I just don't trust it. As much as I hate Amazon, It's nice that have products that have a long history and tons of reviews. It's pricey, but I am ok with that. I don't need a $20 charger burning down my $60K vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 11:01 AM   #10
kimsmoltz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodri7 View Post
I totally agree - this charger has been great, always keeps up with the drain of carplay, and never had an issue with the phone heating up. Much more useful than the factory POS. People also forget that is gives you two more USB ports (and A and a C with PD) closer to the driver, which I have used to power my passenger's phone via a cable. And it has an off switch if I don't want to keep charging my hone or I want to place something else in that slot.

does it drain the battery when the car is parked?
      08-31-2021, 12:01 PM   #11
Eris496
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmoltz View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

there is a chip that detects the phone. If a phone is not present, the charger only consumes very little power. Won't drain your battery.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
jrodri7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Once the car goes through the closing cycle and timeout it shuts off the 12V socket, the device no longer draws a current. If you are parked with the vehicle unlocked for an extended period of time, I am sure anything can drain your battery.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2021, 01:56 PM   #13
jrodri7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR17 View Post
This is the one I have. It looks like it's a factory installed part. https://www.amazon.com/FIILINES-Wire...ap_m_rp_160_sc

The only issue I have with it is the phone can slide around on it. I'm going to stick on some bumpers as soon as I can find the right thing to use.

The reason I went with the Sighill is that it has a vent at the area of the phone that gets warm during charging, I haven't seen any other wireless chargers that have this. I drove with the phone in the car for 4 hours the other day on CarPlay the whole time streaming music, and the phone was warm, but not scorching hot as the factory wireless chargers.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #14
kimsmoltz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Once the car goes through the closing cycle and timeout it shuts off the 12V socket, the device no longer draws a current. If you are parked with the vehicle unlocked for an extended period of time, I am sure anything can drain your battery.
great thanks. i sometimes go 2-3 weeks without driving my car so good to know the 12v doesn't draw any power.
      08-31-2021, 02:45 PM   #15
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Quote:

I specifically didn't order the factory charger because of this forum, and the similar issues I had with the factory one in my previous MINI. Always overheated my phone.

I can't recommend any models from AliExpress cause I don't trust any electronics that isn't available for sale here through Amazon. I just don't trust it. As much as I hate Amazon, It's nice that have products that have a long history and tons of reviews. It's pricey, but I am ok with that. I don't need a $20 charger burning down my $60K vehicle.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-re...on-11623587313

While I too trust Amazon more than Aliexpress, maybe we shouldn't. Be wary of the vendor your use, and know that you are most likely getting exactly the same item from the same factory branded by someone else.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 03:35 PM   #16
ScubaHamster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fake-re...on-11623587313

While I too trust Amazon more than Aliexpress, maybe we shouldn't. Be wary of the vendor your use, and know that you are most likely getting exactly the same item from the same factory branded by someone else.

That's very true. Anyone can sell on Amazon - unless item is sold (not even fulfilled) by Amazon, it is not much different from Ebay. By all means, I prefer Amazon to Aliexpress, but I can't find such product anywhere else except of Aliexpress - all alternatives either use USB for power or block cigarette lighter needed for Radar detector. Any ideas? - I would hate to hardwire Radar detector

Last edited by ScubaHamster; 08-31-2021 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:14 PM   #17
pinto2515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

I bought this for my 2022m40i. Works great, fits perfectly. Just buy it and be done;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08FB...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #18
Eris496
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto2515 View Post
I bought this for my 2022m40i. Works great, fits perfectly. Just buy it and be done;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08FB...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
looks awesome! is it carbon black?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:29 AM   #19
pinto2515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris496 View Post
looks awesome! is it carbon black?
Black sapphire
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #20
audioi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Got this one yesterday and it fit perfect and works. Time will tell if it charges fast enough.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #21
feanorrin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 - AUDI Q2 - TOYOTA C-HR

For new iphone users, i think an Apple-Magsafe charger seems to be one of the best options. it is slim and easy to place. safe, durable and really stable with magnets.

You can pretty easily fix it anywhere you want (vertical/horizontal) with just a powerful -enough- adhesive tape and will look cool with proper placement.

something like that;
(he fixed to console)

Appreciate 0