BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
bskomd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Questions about extended warranty

Hello all,

After a long and painful search, I decided to go with a brand that I used to think was only for snobs (no offence). My father and my brother have always been loyal to the brand, and I always made fun of them. Well, the joke is on me.

Even after trying a lot of choices (Q5, SQ5, A6, GLC 43, AMG C43, Macan, Genesis G70), I could not find "the one". I don't have a sophisticated taste, especially when it comes to food and cars, so I just could not justify the cost of owning a luxury vehicle.

Then, I decided to try a BMW, and I fell in love with it, especially 2019 X3 M40i. I don't know how I can explain it, but for even a regular guy like myself, I noticed the difference.

Anyways, this would be my first time owning a BMW, and I get mixed opinions about the extended warranty. I usually take a really good care of my car, and because I don't know much about it, I always went to the dealership for every maintenance they recommended. I plan to own it for a while, at least 7-8 years. I live in a small town, so I don't put much mileage on my car (we already have a family SUV so this will be just my commuter). I was hoping to get some opinions.

Thank you in advance !!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I've never bought extended warranty on vehicles, including the 5-6 BMWs I've owned. Never been an issue. Statistically, it's just a money maker for someone else. If in doubt, wait until just before the factory warranty expires, and buy it then. if you buy it sooner you're just giving your money away and letting someone else earn interest on it.
Appreciate 1
bskomd0.00
      03-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
bskomd
Registered
Rep

Thank you for your input!! They tell me it's going to be much more expensive if I wait and get it later but I guess it's all a balancing act.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I've never bought extended warranty on vehicles, including the 5-6 BMWs I've owned. Never been an issue.
Same here with the e46 and e39, and those are old, old cars. Never been a "major" issues, though these cars are heavily mod'ed so i do take certain risks doing so.

As for the spouse's x3, knowing this is a keeper and not as if we are only hanging onto it for several years (eg. her Odyssey is 2002 with ~160,000 miles), i decided to plunge into dealer offered extended warranty coverage, which i paid ~$3,000 for unlimited mos/100,000 miles. And as usual the mileage is not in addition to the factory warranty, but total.

The coverage is as best i could get from the dealer, but for $3,000 (peace of mind ?), i suppose i could have kept that in the bank or invest and see it grow. But i'm a horrible (personal) investor.

Anyway, you can read more about some details of the coverage in following post. Or, if you need more details then hit me up on private message, or just post here, i can share what i can.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=35

I do like this part, i.e. within factory warranty period, rental car for up to so many days is covered, in case loaner and/or shuttle won't work.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
bskomd
Registered
Rep

dinan5m3, thank you so much!!
The link was very helpful. I also searched for other threads from the past. I might end up just risking it and probably get the Mechanical Breakdown Insurance from Geico (since I have been using them for years anyways). Hope you have a good weekend
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

If you have Geico I highly recommend their mechanical breakdown coverage. It only runs me a little over $100 a year, but it needs to added to the car within 5k miles of ownership I believe. But from the reviews I have read the coverage is awesome, and even people running tunes on their cars that had engine issues had no trouble having it covered. I plan to keep this M40i for the long haul, and even after the warranty is up from BMW I’ll only be out about $400 for the coverage. Plus it will cover items if BMW won’t for some reason. I was really skeptical at first but spent a lot of time researching it and it is the real deal. Basically from what I have read it reminds me of the carmax warranty.
Appreciate 1
bskomd0.00
      03-17-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
bskomd
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant View Post
If you have Geico I highly recommend their mechanical breakdown coverage. It only runs me a little over $100 a year, but it needs to added to the car within 5k miles of ownership I believe. But from the reviews I have read the coverage is awesome, and even people running tunes on their cars that had engine issues had no trouble having it covered. I plan to keep this M40i for the long haul, and even after the warranty is up from BMW I’ll only be out about $400 for the coverage. Plus it will cover items if BMW won’t for some reason. I was really skeptical at first but spent a lot of time researching it and it is the real deal. Basically from what I have read it reminds me of the carmax warranty.
Thank you, Replicant !! I am not much of a car person and always thought of it as a necessary evil, but for some reason I fell in love with this one. Strange feeling. And I plan to keep it for a while also. I called GEICO, and was told that I would need to purchase the coverage within 15000 miles AND 15 months of purchase of a new vehicle, like you said. Thank you for sharing your experience !!
Appreciate 0