BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Lowill94
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 X-Drive 28I

HK sound system

Hi all.

So I've tried to do my homework and search this. But im trying to figure out where the rear speakers are for the premium HK system is. I have the HI-FI system. I am wanting to also know if the wiring is already there if anyone happens to know. Id like to upgrade my system a tad bit.

Thanks in advance if anyone happens to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowill94 View Post
Hi all.

So I've tried to do my homework and search this. But im trying to figure out where the rear speakers are for the premium HK system is. I have the HI-FI system. I am wanting to also know if the wiring is already there if anyone happens to know. Id like to upgrade my system a tad bit.

Thanks in advance if anyone happens to know.
sorry for offtopic, but what were the options on the f25? only hifi and Harman/Kardon ?

I dont have the option list, but I've noticed that the speakers got a carbon fiber style look, and there's 2 woofer under each front seats... no Harman/Kardon logo tho

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:20 AM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

For the top Hi-Fi system (DSP=S677A; HK=S688A) the speakers were placed in the D pillar. This made it a 7.2 system instead of the standard Hi-Fi 5.2 setup.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2196

The actual D pillar covers were different for the DSP systems, so I would assume the wires would be there if they exist.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
Lowill94
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
For the top Hi-Fi system (DSP=S677A; HK=S688A) the speakers were placed in the D pillar. This made it a 7.2 system instead of the standard Hi-Fi 5.2 setup.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2196

The actual D pillar covers were different for the DSP systems, so I would assume the wires would be there if they exist.
Thank you for the reply. I always seem to forget about RealOEM when looking for little things haha. But after further digging and trying to search for rear interior shots of these cars I was able to finally find that the D pillar trim is different. Not sure how expensive they can be or if it would really be worth trying to find them. I have one rear door speaker that's on the way out. So figured I could do a little bit of upgrading while replacing them. I actually like the mid level Hi-Fi system I have. But I do think a little bit more can be made of the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Although the DSP/HK setups had upgraded speakers, there's another amp that goes with them. I'm not sure if there are any wiring or coding changes with that. bavsound.com has plug and play kits. That's another route you can take. Last I looked they had replacements for the 5 speakers in one kit. Another for the under seat subs. Plus they were coming out with a new replacement amp.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

the HK option was for US or at the facelift ?

from my reading, pre-lci got 3 options :

basic / hifi / hifi pro.

Seems like I have the 16 speakers.

I'm not that impressed with sound quality tho. I mean for this year area. Back in 1995, yeah , hifi pro is very very good.
I'm assuming this is due to the headunit, just like my audi.

On my B7 audi, I have the bose option. Very poor audio quality for the price.
But once the head unit as been upgraded, trow high/med frequencies in the speaker, and only the low in a aftermarket amp/sub, the sound is amazing, I mean very very precise and clear.

It was very cheap, sub and amp who needs it in 2019? no body, so they are very cheap. Got a MTX amp and alpine type R 10'' for 0$. Head unit was 400$ cad.

OP you can go in that direction, aka : speaker frequencies adjustment.
(active crossovers in aftermarket headunit and amp)
remove lows in the speakers, it will remove rattle and distortion. Get the bass in a proper setup sub.

Quote:
Have no clue which brand these systems are but my impressions regarding some of these features in Canada are:

on 28i:
Standard Stereo Sound System
5 speakers
1 sub

on 28i:
HiFi Sound System (S0676) Optional - must have both Premium and Executive Package
12 speakers
2 subs

on 35i
HiFi Sound System (S0676) Standard
12 speakers
2 subs

on 35i:
HiFi Sound System Professional (S0677) Optional - must have both Premium and Executive Package
also called Premium Hi-Fi ???:
16 speakers
-7 mids
-7 highs
-2 subs
600 watt amp
9 channels
5.1 surround sound

I remember seeing in another thread that was talking about the audio system in the X3 in another country other than the US. I can't remember off the top of my head what the link was but it had the three options that you mention, basic, Hi-Fi, and premium which I know two out of the three is available in the US. Perhaps you can get the setup of the speakers or someone can shed some light on this.

US Audio Systems:

Standard Sound:
12 speakers
205 watt amp
3 channels

Premium Hi-Fi:
16 speakers
-7 mids
-7 highs
-2 subs
600 watt amp
9 channels
5.1 surround sound

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 03-13-2019 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Id like to upgrade my system a tad bit.
Generally speaking I wouldn't say that having speakers that far back is an upgrade at all. More isn't always better.

I'm of the belief that the music should be in front of you, with any sound from the rear acting as a minor amount of fill-in and nothing else. Back in the day when I was more into car stereo and went to a lot of competitions, the best systems sometimes had speakers only in the front and nothing else to be found (other than perhaps a sub in the back if they couldn't manage to fit it up front).

I'd put your work and money into better front speakers / a small sub in the rear to fill in what the 8" under the seats can't quite do, and an amp that drives them as well as the sub (so that the 8" can get both a little power boost and be cut off from playing the very low frequencies that the sub would be playing instead).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #8
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Generally speaking I wouldn't say that having speakers that far back is an upgrade at all. More isn't always better.

I'm of the belief that the music should be in front of you, with any sound from the rear acting as a minor amount of fill-in and nothing else. Back in the day when I was more into car stereo and went to a lot of competitions, the best systems sometimes had speakers only in the front and nothing else to be found (other than perhaps a sub in the back if they couldn't manage to fit it up front).

I'd put your work and money into better front speakers / a small sub in the rear to fill in what the 8" under the seats can't quite do, and an amp that drives them as well as the sub (so that the 8" can get both a little power boost and be cut off from playing the very low frequencies that the sub would be playing instead).

sound quality wise I agree, but what about tailgate party ?

ive installed about 50 car sound system when it was a thing, my setup was with rainbow audio and eclipse headunit. Front speaker were @100%, back were @50%. with passive crossovers. 3 way setup (tweeters/mid/sub), sub were running @ 50Hz. deep bass, not so hard for the ears.

about 90% of people link sound quality with dB levels and the way the windows are shaking... so having 235 speakers with high distortion levels its not issue. lol

Last edited by oVeRdOsE.; 03-13-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Lowill94
United_States
Rep

With the speakers in the very rear I do agree that it isn't much of an up grade. More of saying that if I'm upgrading the rest of the speakers that if it is possible to add the further most rear speakers I might as well try or look into it at least. My X3 is a Pre-LCI with Hi-Fi. I'm not looking for any high output or anything like that. Just something that sounds a little better. I've done a few audio upgrades in my past few cars. As this is my first BMW just looking to see what others have done. I've seen a few that have been fine really well.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
With the speakers in the very rear I do agree that it isn't much of an up grade. More of saying that if I'm upgrading the rest of the speakers that if it is possible to add the further most rear speakers I might as well try or look into it at least. My X3 is a Pre-LCI with Hi-Fi. I'm not looking for any high output or anything like that. Just something that sounds a little better. I've done a few audio upgrades in my past few cars. As this is my first BMW just looking to see what others have done. I've seen a few that have been fine really well.
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...ifier-for-bmw/
      03-18-2019, 11:34 PM   #11
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
I upgraded the HK speakers in my X4 to bavsound, including the underseat woofers.

They sound amazing, but do find the amp gives up at the high end.. ie, the amp becomes the bottleneck but much better soundscape with a particular improvement in low/high ends.. mids lacking, though as expected given the size of the drivers.

Last edited by spucktacular; 12-20-2023 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Which amp? Stock?
Appreciate 0