BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #177
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonR View Post
Quote:
Buy an Audi. Leave the FUN cars for us.

Winter tires work wonders once the temps drop
Show us where the M SUV touched your M4...

Really, how is it, in any way, that the M SUVs are effecting the M3/M4? I mean, the X5M and X6M have been around for a while. Are they hurting your M4? Did you buy your M4 because you like how it performs, or because it has a M badge on it? If you like the performance of the FUN car, then I would suspect that's still the same with, or without, X3M and X4M's running around. If it's because you have a M badge on your trunk, and you think only cars that fit your definition of M cars should have the same badge, then yeah, I guess you're going to have a bad time. But that's a pretty dumb reason to get worked up.

Is the 911 less of a sports car because of the Cayenne and Macan? I think it's pretty fair to say that the success of those SUVs have allowed Porsche to do even more for the 911/Cayman/Boxster.
Damn you Bimmerpost for putting this thread on the front page! I know better then to get involved with SUV and EV threads

Not sure what your taking about regarding your "effecting" comments????

I buy cars I enjoy driving. Period. Couldn't care less what others think. Most of the time I downplay the car I drive to other people.

I'll put it like this. I DO NOT get America's ridiculous fascination with SUVs. People should just get a minivan if that's what required.

BMW if your listening. We need an ///M Minivan Pronto. Preferably with ZCP/Competition pack and exhaust burbles.

Not much "sport" or "utility" in SUVs as far as I am concerned. I'll take a sporty wagon any day over these vehicles.

Let the fun begin
Maybe it's not for you, but for 90% of Americans SUVs have significant utility and the M variants (including the competitors) are relatively extremely sporty.

My X5M defies the laws of driving physics for a vehicle it's size/dimensions.
Agreed. Not for me.

Bigger is better to most Americans. Need I say more?

Different strokes man. That's why I should stay out of these threads. My opinion will be unpopular.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #178
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
M still is special. It always has been.
It's just that the requirements of customers have progressed market to market and many desires have to be fulfilled.
I used to believe that until you came out with the F80/82. Then one of your 20 year customers went to Porsche. So, not every one of your customers is on board with that idea...
      09-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #179
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really, how is it, in any way, that the M SUVs are effecting the M3/M4? I mean, the X5M and X6M have been around for a while. Are they hurting your M4? Did you buy your M4 because you like how it performs, or because it has a M badge on it? If you like the performance of the FUN car, then I would suspect that's still the same with, or without, X3M and X4M's running around. If it's because you have a M badge on your trunk, and you think only cars that fit your definition of M cars should have the same badge, then yeah, I guess you're going to have a bad time. But that's a pretty dumb reason to get worked up.

Is the 911 less of a sports car because of the Cayenne and Macan? I think it's pretty fair to say that the success of those SUVs have allowed Porsche to do even more for the 911/Cayman/Boxster.
Damn you Bimmerpost for putting this thread on the front page! I know better then to get involved with SUV and EV threads

I buy cars I enjoy driving. Period. Couldn't care less what others think. Most of the time I downplay the car I drive to other people.

I'll put it like this. I DO NOT get America's ridiculous fascination with SUVs. People should just get a minivan if that's what required.

BMW if your listening. We need an ///M Minivan Pronto. Preferably with ZCP/Competition pack and exhaust burbles.

Not much "sport" or "utility" in SUVs as far as I am concerned. I'll take a sporty wagon any day over these vehicles.

Let the fun begin
Maybe it's not for you, but for 90% of Americans SUVs have significant utility and the M variants (including the competitors) are relatively extremely sporty.

Agreed. Not for me.

Different strokes man. That's why I should stay out of these threads. My opinion will be unpopular.
It's not for everyone. That's why we have options. But that's true depending on the state. In larger cities people prefer smaller vehicles. In larger states (I.e. Texas) people prefer larger vehicles because they can use them for work (not just business, working on the house too for example) and haul materials and equipment that can't be hauled in cars.

Also for outdoors activities. You don't really want to go hiking (and take off-road paths) in a car.
      09-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #180
Spritztour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

X3M for my wife...ready to order.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #181
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let the fun begin

Agreed. Not for me.

It's not for everyone. That's why we have options. But that's true depending on the state. In larger cities people prefer smaller vehicles. In larger states (I.e. Texas) people prefer larger vehicles because they can use them for work (not just business, working on the house too for example) and haul materials and equipment that can't be hauled in cars.

Also for outdoors activities. You don't really want to go hiking (and take off-road paths) in a car.
It's funny you mentioned outdoor activities (hiking) and driving where cars "can't" go.

True story.

Friend of mine unbeknownst to me goes and buys an X5M last fall. Loves the vehicle initially. Winter hits in the Northeast and he comes to me and asks "why does this thing handle like such shit in the snow". I head outside and point to the rubberband rims with MPSS. He's like what the Fuck. Why did the salesman sell me an SUV with these rims and tires and not alert me to the issue I will have come wintertime. Not much I can say to that. Wasn't gonna kick a guy while he's down and tell him to do research before buying a car. I had him ride out the winter carefully and will help him get a set of Winters this fall.

It's all about the tires my friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #182
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let the fun begin

Agreed. Not for me.

It's funny you mentioned outdoor activities (hiking) and driving where cars "can't" go.

True story.

Friend of mine unbeknownst to me goes and buys an X5M last fall. Loves the vehicle initially. Winter hits in the Northeast and he comes to me and asks "why does this thing handle like such shit in the snow". I head outside and point to the rubberband rims with MPSS. He's like what the Fuck. Why did the salesman sell me an SUV with these rims and tires and not alert me to the issue I will have come wintertime. Not much I can say to that. Wasn't gonna kick a guy while he's down and tell him to do research before buying a car. I had him ride out the winter carefully and will help him get a set of Winters this fall.

Lol yea blame the sales guy for not telling him there are different kinds of tires. No need to kick. Just a slight nudge to push him off the cliff. Survival of the fittest my friend. Hahahahahaha

He seems like the type that would break into someone's house and break his arm falling down their slippery stairs and then sue the home owner. Hahahahahhahahahahahaha
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #183
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Its 2018 and BMWs M SUV cars are so boring that they need ridiculous paint jobs to get your interest
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      09-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #184
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let the fun begin

Agreed. Not for me.

True story.

Haha yeah that's definitely true in the snow. But I meant more of mid, rocks, dirt etc lol. Definitely would want ground clearance and AWD for that!

Not to say that a good number of consumers don't just buy these SUVs for non utilitarian purposes lmao.
      09-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #185
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

Let the fun begin
I'm asking why you even care. That's what I mean by "effecting" you. You're getting upset about a car company making a car that people want. You understand that, right? Just because you think there's either true M CARs or minivans, not everyone does. Now, if BMW stopped making M cars to make M SUVs, then sure, I'd understand the frustration at the brand and the M SUVs. I haven't seen that, so again; care to articulate how this impacts you?

You're not going to buy one. Noted. Anything else useful to add?
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #186
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let the fun begin

Agreed. Not for me.

True story.

Haha yeah that's definitely true in the snow. But I meant more of mid, rocks, dirt etc lol. Definitely would want ground clearance and AWD for that!

Not to say that a good number of consumers don't just buy these SUVs for non utilitarian purposes lmao.
Maybe you guys wouldn't be going back-and-forth on this stupid issue. If you don't like it don't buy it!

Maybe if BMW would actually make an M3 Sports Wagon with my desired M xDrive. You wouldn't be having this conversation.

Some of us want just one cool kick ass ride to haul shit and go fast doing it, it's that simple! And throw in AWD for good measure.

Also, the benefit is you can use the ride as your sole bug-out vehicle, and quickly stow your necessities. Like when a hurricane is barreling down on your town.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:38 AM   #187
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Its 2018 and BMWs M SUV cars are so boring that they need ridiculous paint jobs to get your interest
I know it's almost as if it's camouflage because they're prototypes or something. What were they thinking?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 01:54 AM   #188
RichM50d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘22 8 Series Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Live from the Nürburgring: A corso featuring prototypes of the upcoming BMW X3 M and BMW X4 M.

I nearly fell asleep watching that!
Appreciate 2
DCG783.00
6ixSpd6014.50
      09-12-2018, 02:10 AM   #189
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

True story.

So your friend doesn’t know how tires work. Neat. Great story.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to make a point about hikes, and then talking about snow. That said, I have three examples in the past year where my car, M2, wouldn’t make it to a trail head. One in the Rockies, and two in the Cascades. Not a big deal, but pretty dumb to not understand the advantage a SUV has on a logging road.

As far as snow goes. I agree, it’s 75% tires and 25% drivetrain. That said, coming from a place that averaged 100” of snow, having a winter tire setup was something I would do without regard to drivetrain. In that case, AWD was better than a FWD/RWD car. I’ve driven all of them in the snow. I’ve driven all of them to ski hills. I’ve driven all of them on ice. The AWD is better. Anyone who would argue different has no idea. Are FWD/RWD manageable? Certainly. Are they as good? Fuck no.

Again, I’m struggling to understand what your point is. You don’t want a SUV. You think small cars are all anyone should ever want/need. Okay, then do you. If you literally think there is no practical difference between a M car and M SUV, then you’re about as educated on cars as your buddy is on tires...
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #190
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Yea but who's really gonna push the limits of a SUV nay perdon SAV. I barely push limits of my M3 sadly. Half my tachometer and speedometer barely get any use. X3M really just for people who don't see any price difference between a M40i and X3M.
Sounds like a personal problem..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 02:33 AM   #191
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
They replaced the "is" models with an m badge. Dilutes the m badge. They have even tried to rescue it by introducing "competition packs" to win back some of the reputation. It's a complaint about a small thing but I just see it as a sign of giving up on past principals on building cars.
Spoken like someone who has no history of or apparently has forgotten how the M badge has been used on performance models over the years.

A little blast from the past for you ..

https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/01/07/bmw-history-m535i/

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...ark-sharp-suit
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 02:38 AM   #192
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
BMW should have installed 4.4 V8 instead of S58 3.0 6 cyl. Please bring back big capa engine.
      09-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #193
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Lol, Texas doesn’t have an unusually high proportion of manual laborers compared to other states. That isn’t why they drive big cars. Texan’s love of big vehicles is purely cultural (and silly). I hate seeing all the needlessly big trucks in this state. For 99% of Texas truck owners the utility of a big truck is not exploited on a recurring basis.

Last edited by Celestion; 09-12-2018 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #194
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

///M is for marketing
E36 M3 Avus
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #195
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaleyess View Post
BMW should have installed 4.4 V8 instead of S58 3.0 6 cyl. Please bring back big capa engine.
Because a 450-485 hp twin turbo six cylinder isn't enough to go get the groceries with ?

If you want a V8 for the sound then ante up to an X5M or X6M or contact your favorite tuner.
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      09-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #196
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnPaul View Post
They replaced the "is" models with an m badge. Dilutes the m badge. They have even tried to rescue it by introducing "competition packs" to win back some of the reputation. It's a complaint about a small thing but I just see it as a sign of giving up on past principals on building cars.
Spoken like someone who has no history of or apparently has forgotten how the M badge has been used on performance models over the years.

A little blast from the past for you ..

https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/01/07/bmw-history-m535i/

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...ark-sharp-suit
Cool history, thanks for sharing. I think the point remains though. BMW has begun to use the M moniker on cars far less special that the ones linked and have regressed its usage to fast more pedestrian offerings.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #197
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Because a 450-485 hp twin turbo six cylinder isn't enough to go get the groceries with ?

If you want a V8 for the sound then ante up to an X5M or X6M or contact your favorite tuner.
Quote:
Quote:

I agree. 450-485 HP and zero to 60 under 4.5 sec is plenty; 2 V8 including 2017 X5M. Just seeming more and more like overkill; just my own experience especially with so many vehicles on the roads causing so much traffic in my city. Less and less opportunities to open up the engine on the roads....ready to order X3M ASAP! Anyone know actual order dates?
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #198
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
From 2012 through now people complained that BMW stopped making cars that drive well, that they'd become Camry-like. BMW responds by infusing high end sport tech and power and all that into all their cars and now people complain that there are too many M cars.
Appreciate 1