BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #67
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1516067

Mind you this is the first tuner to officially tune the B58 but a solid 70whp is pretty darn good for a bone stock car...especially when you factor in the drivability, shifting, fueling limits, etc. If Dinan is only getting 30-35whp this is 2X. You factor in you can't do Stg2 with most piggybacks and yes I'm sure you will easily see 100+whp.

Not meaning to start a tuner/piggyback war but personally having just about every piggyback over the last 2yrs on my B58 340i I haven't been that impressed. The B58 with the 8AT and torque intervention just hasn't done well with piggybacks. Once you get above the "common" Stg1 piggyback you start running into drivability issues, drivetrain malfunctions, shift delays, etc. I'm sure it's no secret why Dinan doesn't push it too far and why I settled on their tune for now. If you just want to through a splash of E85 in their and run some good 1/4 mile times the JB4 is it...however the drivability isn't there imo. If you want proof there's already a few members who have converted from JB4, AA Active-8, Dinan etc
This is all really good info for a noob like me. So what, in your opinion, would be the best way to go or who to go with for a flash tune that would be more hp and have better drivability? Or are we just not there yet and that's why you have the Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #68
Seaz
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: (2018,x3,m40) 2016,x3 2009,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHornX3M40iGuy View Post
This is all really good info for a noob like me. So what, in your opinion, would be the best way to go or who to go with for a flash tune that would be more hp and have better drivability? Or are we just not there yet and that's why you have the Dinan?
There is another benefit to a piggy back system like dinan and jb4

THey can be easily turned off, hidden or removed. Either for service, sales or any other reason you would wont to go stock

My JB4 has a hidden mode, its a simple click away on my phone and in map 0 the dealers cant tell its there. If i want to remove it, its 10minutes of work

2018 X3 M40i - JB4
2016 X3 35i - JB stage 1
2009 335 e92 - JB4
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #69
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quickly loosing interest here.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #70
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Quickly loosing interest here.
Random... don’t follow then... simples...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #71
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRomeo View Post
Random... don’t follow then... simples...
I'm the OP of this thread. I don't appreciate a keyboard warrior. Smart ass.
Appreciate 1
DigiSage143.00
      08-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #72
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm the OP of this thread. I don't appreciate a keyboard warrior. Smart ass.
Apologies but I have no idea what a keyboard warrior is. I simply don’t understand what your comment contributes when people are enjoying a genuine discussion. Yes, you may have initiated the thread, which is one that has been of interest to me... however, being human, the nature of discussion digresses.

I’m sure it will revert back to the original path and you’ll gain interest again, I hope. I’d be happy to help, as I am also keen to understand more about the Dinan vs. JB4, which I understand you original post requested.

BW.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #73
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So, has anyone successfully installed a Dinan yet? I’ve seen the unfortunate failed attempt, which I hope is resolved.

Looking forward to seeing some ‘real world’ feedback compared to the Dinan website graphs etc.

BW
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:06 AM   #74
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaz View Post
There is another benefit to a piggy back system like dinan and jb4

THey can be easily turned off, hidden or removed. Either for service, sales or any other reason you would wont to go stock

My JB4 has a hidden mode, its a simple click away on my phone and in map 0 the dealers cant tell its there. If i want to remove it, its 10minutes of work
That's great info...but from what I've seen, the flash tunes being made appear to also have some sort of flash freeze where the dealers can't tell it's there? I have seen in some forums that you have to reprogram every time the dealer does an update to your system, which MP says they'll do free twice, then charge after that. So if you have to bring your car in and even unknowingly they update stuff (whether to make current or to fix etc), you may find yourself paying to put the flash tune back on. I think you can put the backup/last install back on free but if the software update requires any changes or something that needs to be done in order to work then they charge you? I am not totally sure on all of that. Just read the MP forum quickly...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #75
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

Does anyone specifically sell a X3 M40 flash tune?

My dealer is a Dinan shop too so I was going to do the piggyback and have full support. Just wondering if it's going to be noticeable enough.

Also, wasn't aware Dinan has changed owners.

And finally, isn't it possible the reason there's no stage 2 is because if the engine is already that far underrated, there isn't a lot of headroom to begin with? Maybe the issues outweigh the gains once you creep much higher. There is zero chance of collusion between BMW and Dinan on an issue like this.

I've had (quite) a few BMWs, some with tunes, some Ms, a tune does not poach a true M car purchase. It's cool but there's no substitute for a real M. Dinan Stage 2 M40s would not hurt sales of X3 Ms.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #76
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
Does anyone specifically sell a X3 M40 flash tune?

My dealer is a Dinan shop too so I was going to do the piggyback and have full support. Just wondering if it's going to be noticeable enough.

Also, wasn't aware Dinan has changed owners.

And finally, isn't it possible the reason there's no stage 2 is because if the engine is already that far underrated, there isn't a lot of headroom to begin with? Maybe the issues outweigh the gains once you creep much higher. There is zero chance of collusion between BMW and Dinan on an issue like this.

I've had (quite) a few BMWs, some with tunes, some Ms, a tune does not poach a true M car purchase. It's cool but there's no substitute for a real M. Dinan Stage 2 M40s would not hurt sales of X3 Ms.

Mission Performance has a flash tune. Stage 1 and 2.

I am still on the fence on what to do... flash or piggy as it sounds like the flash is very smooth but the piggy is most likely easier to hide.
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #77
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Mission Performance has a flash tune. Stage 1 and 2.

I am still on the fence on what to do... flash or piggy as it sounds like the flash is very smooth but the piggy is most likely easier to hide.
I'm in the same boat...

If Audi can release their stock RS3 (I-5) with 400 HP at the crank, our I-6 can surely take much much more!

I no longer see a reason to go with Dinan. Such minimal gains as there are also reported issues just getting it installed.

To date, BMS' JB4 seems to be the best tune for our M40i's. After all that I've read, I'm not sure we really have anything to compare it to other than the stock tune? I guess for me - drivability, shift points, etc is my biggest concern on the largest map with 93 octane. I don't plan on doing RON or E85. Not sure what that looks like for a daily driver on their biggest map? Based on my concerns, what have others experienced here with the JB4?

I've reached out to Mission Tuning and they are very vague with me. I'm asking questions like:

"Do I need to get a more unrestrictive downpipe to run your Stage 2?"
MT says yes, because you will be putting more stress on your turbo. But I asked BMS and they said no. BMS says there's no restriction here, our exhaust is not a restriction. If you went with a bigger turbo, it would be.

After continuing to pry into the "why", MT hasn't emailed me back. Maybe they're busy, IDK, but it seems that I may be asking them too many questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #78
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
I'm in the same boat...

If Audi can release their stock RS3 (I-5) with 400 HP at the crank, our I-6 can surely take much much more!

I no longer see a reason to go with Dinan. Such minimal gains as there are also reported issues just getting it installed.

To date, BMS' JB4 seems to be the best tune for our M40i's. After all that I've read, I'm not sure we really have anything to compare it to other than the stock tune? I guess for me - drivability, shift points, etc is my biggest concern on the largest map with 93 octane. I don't plan on doing RON or E85. Not sure what that looks like for a daily driver on their biggest map? Based on my concerns, what have others experienced here with the JB4?

I've reached out to Mission Tuning and they are very vague with me. I'm asking questions like:

MT says yes, because you will be putting more stress on your turbo. But I asked BMS and they said no. BMS says there's no restriction here, our exhaust is not a restriction. If you went with a bigger turbo, it would be.

After continuing to pry into the "why", MT hasn't emailed me back. Maybe they're busy, IDK, but it seems that I may be asking them too many questions.
BMS said the same thing before downpipes became widely available on 340's...they were wrong. They don't endorse downpipes because unless you have their EWG kit the boost can't adequately be controlled by the JB4 since you removed a significant amount of backpressure.

More backpressure = more heat = more stress. The stock downpipe is over 400cspi if it's anything like the 340i B58 which I assume so therefore any good HF downpipe will be a measurable difference. To unlock real gains on these cars full control of the fueling and boost is what's needed...piggybacks unfortunately don't have the means to do that. They are all additive based and use trickery based on factory thresholds, you can only get so far with that.

Last edited by dereksM3; 08-16-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #79
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
I'm in the same boat...

I called them on the phone and asked what Stage 2 needed and was advised just good fuel (good 93 octane) in order to take advantage.

They also mentioned the tune adjusts to octane so if I put 100 in it would take advantage but didn't get into specifics on it.
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #80
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
I called them on the phone and asked what Stage 2 needed and was advised just good fuel (good 93 octane) in order to take advantage.

They also mentioned the tune adjusts to octane so if I put 100 in it would take advantage but didn't get into specifics on it.
Yeah, they're very vague. I'd like to learn more details. I'd like to get more data backed info on the Stage 2 DP suggestion.

Today I also called and Alex was in the middle of a tune. He didn't have much time to talk. He said they recently blown up and haven't been able to scale their support very well. Said someone would get back to be via email.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2018, 09:30 PM   #81
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
What's really interesting is BMW numbers actually match WHEEL HP and Torque, not crank. Never saw a case where manufacturer was quoting wheel HP - it's always crank HP.

Many of us thought BMW was very soft on their numbers. The common response is, "Why would a manufacturer under report their HP." To this I would suggest BMW protects it's previous M line. That is, you may be pissed off at BMW when you buy an M car making 425 HP, and then their standard line offers the close to the same (or better) the very next year?
Just look at the numbers on the F10 M5. Was actually closer to 675 crank HP.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #82
DavidLE46/F36
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430iGC & 2006 330Ci vert

Not surprised that the actual HP is much higher. Went toe to toe against a newer Corvette convertible and had no issue keeping up between stop lights. The Corvette guy was surprised as was I. lol

2006 E46 vert - Black w/Montana, 330, Sport, 6 Speed Manual, Dynavin N7, Harmon.
Appreciate 1
CHATMAN12.00
      08-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #83
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

anyone got updates on this? Since its on sale through end of month...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #84
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1516067

Not meaning to start a tuner/piggyback war but personally having just about every piggyback over the last 2yrs on my B58 340i I haven't been that impressed. The B58 with the 8AT and torque intervention just hasn't done well with piggybacks. Once you get above the "common" Stg1 piggyback you start running into drivability issues, drivetrain malfunctions, shift delays, etc. I'm sure it's no secret why Dinan doesn't push it too far and why I settled on their tune for now. If you just want to through a splash of E85 in their and run some good 1/4 mile times the JB4 is it...however the drivability isn't there imo. If you want proof there's already a few members who have converted from JB4, AA Active-8, Dinan etc
I don't seem to have any issues with any of this all the way up to Map5 on JB4 as long as I have really good gas in the car(96 OR HIGHER)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 04:28 PM   #85
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I'm in for the Dinan
      08-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #86
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I don't seem to have any issues with any of this all the way up to Map5 on JB4 as long as I have really good gas in the car(96 OR HIGHER)
It could be possible because of the power the OEM M40i is producing (same rating as an MPPSK 340i) that the torque intervention thresholds are a bit higher and not intervening near as early, especially with AWD. I'm not saying it's a BMS or Dinan issue...the problem is how quickly the 8AT will dial back shift speeds to save itself. Often times this even resorts to drivetrain malfunctions for people that really push these tunes. To be fair that seems to be more RWD models as the torque actually overpowers the braking of the traction control as it's a function of wheel speed. This still hasn't been completely understood as some report the issue and some don't. Here's to hoping the BMS and Dinan works on the M40i like it did back in the N54 days.

I will stop derailing this thread now especially as a current Dinan user
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #87
DrobertD
Veteran USN
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Just purchased the DINANTRONICS Stage 1 tuner for my 2018 X3 M40i - D440-1650-ST1.
Will be installed by BMW of Silver Spring, MD. I plan on putting it on a few different dynos and taking it to the track for 0-60 and 1/4 times. Will post the data here.

By the way, whoever recommended the tranny adapter reset, thank you! Unfortunately I didn't measure the before and after stats, but the response feels noticeably quicker. Turning off the DSC also seemed to help further reduce the delay.

Last edited by DrobertD; 09-14-2018 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: improved accuracy and grammar
Appreciate 1
///Monika186.50
      09-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #88
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrobertD View Post
Just purchased the DINANTRONICS Stage 1 tuner for my 2018 X3 M40i - D440-1650-ST1.
Will be installed by BMW of Silver Spring, MD. I plan on putting it on a few different dynos and taking it to the track for 0-60 and 1/4 times. Will post the data here.

By the way, whoever recommended the tranny adapter reset, thank you! Unfortunately I didn't measure the before and after stats, but the response feels noticeably quicker. Turning off the DSC also seemed to help further reduce the delay.
I would like details on what the "tranny adapter reset" is/does.
Appreciate 1
deladude266.00