BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Idaho X3 M40I
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40I

Update

Seems the location of the key fob in the pants pocket has claimed another tailgate to open against the closed garage door. To make matters worse wife came home and opened the garage door ugh! No real damage other than paint chipped on the lower leading edge. BMW needs to redesign the keys fob (assuming that's what it is). Just a reminder to pull your beautiful X3 far enough into the garage to allow adequate clearance in case she decides to open up the hatch to air herself out. Bodyshop here I come.

Update: went to the body shop and ask for a estimate, $816.00 and a week to fix
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
johnnj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

You're lucky. My garage door ripped the metal ball joints from the motor and spring and the headliner got mangled. It was a $3000 repair.

Coding the trunk to only open when the car is unlocked is your friend.
Appreciate 3
      03-21-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Yeah this is one of those things that I think all X3 owners become too intimately familiar with. I've had the tailgate open as a red light turns to green, the button in the car wouldn't put it down, and I had to get out of the car to close it.

Planning to get it decoded because there's really no use for me given that you can just kick underneath the bumper to open it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
Idaho X3 M40I
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40I

I totally agree, I should have someone disable the button on the remote. I never use the remote for anything it's always in my pocket, ok now my coat. I need to by a hard cover for the remote. Sounds like this could get expensive!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
IM_ALL_IN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I was washing the car yesterday with the key in my pocket and the trunk magically opened. It seems the trunk is prone to opening if you even breathe on the fob.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
JWright82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, X3 M40i

Yup, I’ve been a victim too. Albeit in a restaurant parking lot. No damage, but I’m not thrilled with leaving my vehicle wide open in public.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_ALL_IN View Post
I was washing the car yesterday with the key in my pocket and the trunk magically opened. It seems the trunk is prone to opening if you even breathe on the fob.
Interesting because this has happened to me multiple times with my 4 series gran coupe. I'm 90% sure (for my case at least) that is has nothing to do with the button accidentally being pressed, because I have a different key fob than you guys, and I also wear my key around my neck on a lanyard.

I have yet to figure out what it is.. But if I have the key anywhere on me while washing my car, it will continuously lock and unlock, as well as pop the back hatch randomly.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Quote:
Interesting because this has happened to me multiple times with my 4 series gran coupe. I'm 90% sure (for my case at least) that is has nothing to do with the button accidentally being pressed, because I have a different key fob than you guys, and I also wear my key around my neck on a lanyard.

I have yet to figure out what it is.. But if I have the key anywhere on me while washing my car, it will continuously lock and unlock, as well as pop the back hatch randomly.
Any one ever tried washing their cars with key fob put far away (e.g. maybe over 20 ft away) and see if that would help prevent unintended tailgate opening?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #9
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

MechX3M40i,

There is a entirely separate thread on random tailgate openings; this thread should not have been initiated.

However, to answer your question, yes, I had my fob lying on a shelf in the garage while washing/drying my vehicle, fob not touched, and my tailgate opened and closed many times, while I stood there stunned. Not good.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #10
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Any one ever tried washing their cars with key fob put far away (e.g. maybe over 20 ft away) and see if that would help prevent unintended tailgate opening?
Yes, I have had to do that with my last three BMWs. If you have comfort access and wash the car with the key fob nearby, expect it to act like you're touching the sensors (whether for door lock/unlock, or the trunk/hatch open/close). If I keep the key in my garage about 30' away, no issues at all.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 04:33 AM   #11
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I strongly believe, after my experience, this is not the fob. I was having the same problem that ultimately resulted in damage. Since having my kick sensor comfort access control unit replaced I have not had a single false opening, and I have not changed the way I hold or use my keys.

You should take it to your dealership, insist they replace the module and pay for the damage. They did for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #12
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
I strongly believe, after my experience, this is not the fob. I was having the same problem that ultimately resulted in damage. Since having my kick sensor comfort access control unit replaced I have not had a single false opening, and I have not changed the way I hold or use my keys.

You should take it to your dealership, insist they replace the module and pay for the damage. They did for me.
The issue is that proximity of the fob is what enables any of the comfort access features, or bugs, or malfunctions. If the fob is not in proximity, none of it can happen. So it’s never a clear case of what the problem is, especially since the average person doesn’t seem to make that connection. Some people will complain about the trunk opening and closing over and over while they stand 3’ away with the fob, thinking that if their finger is not pressing a button the fob must not be a factor. I rarely see anyone attempt to narrow the diagnosis by getting the fob completely out of range.
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      03-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #13
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post

The issue is that proximity of the fob is what enables any of the comfort access features, or bugs, or malfunctions. If the fob is not in proximity, none of it can happen. So it's never a clear case of what the problem is, especially since the average person doesn't seem to make that connection. Some people will complain about the trunk opening and closing over and over while they stand 3' away with the fob, thinking that if their finger is not pressing a button the fob must not be a factor. I rarely see anyone attempt to narrow the diagnosis by getting the fob completely out of range.
^This.

When folks are experiencing a problem, we need to get the details to understand the possible causes, and avoid lumping the issues into one single category which is absolutely not helpful to everyone.

I'm not here to dismiss the problem, which honestly I believe is real. However, the remedy would highly depending on the causes. For example, If car washing is causing this (e.g. water jet trigger the kick sensor? Water at car handles trigger comfort access and unlock car?) Then easy fix is keep the fobs away while you do the washing. If faulty sensor was to blame due to snow melt or something, then a trip to the dealership to change the sensor is the proper course of action (but not changing the key fob). If butt dialing is the cause of unexpected opening, then get some good key fob covers - by the way, I would highly recommend everyone use a key fob cover if you have not considered that already.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #14
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
That happens a lot to me when washing at home or self service car wash. Either the hose or water triggers the hands free under bumper
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #15
DD694
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Any idea yet of the root cause of this problem? Any solution or effective preventive measures one can take?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #16
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Ironically I took my fob out of it's rubber cover today to change the battery in it and when I got back down to the car the hatch was open. Sort of proof positive of the cause - poor design of the fob.

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 04-04-2019 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:32 PM   #17
Swampman
Swampman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40 - Glacier Silver

When washing car, keep the fob in the car. Proximity sensor will disable locking/unlocking when water touches door handle
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #18
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampman View Post
When washing car, keep the fob in the car. Proximity sensor will disable locking/unlocking when water touches door handle
2nd this. The hatch has not opened on my while washing the car if the fob is inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #19
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho X3 M40I View Post
Seems the location of the key fob in the pants pocket has claimed another tailgate to open against the closed garage door. To make matters worse wife came home and opened the garage door ugh! No real damage other than paint chipped on the lower leading edge. BMW needs to redesign the keys fob (assuming that's what it is). Just a reminder to pull your beautiful X3 far enough into the garage to allow adequate clearance in case she decides to open up the hatch to air herself out. Bodyshop here I come.

Update: went to the body shop and ask for a estimate, $816.00 and a week to fix
Mine has a similar scar on the tailgate... I need to get an estimate for repair as well.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #20
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Is this a problem on other current BMW models like the 3/5 series? I assume it's less serious because the sedan hood popping would be unlikley to cause damage, but still, if it's the fob, there should be a equal number of complaints from those owners too..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #21
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

I've read of these instances before I got my X3. I always back-up into parking spots. Especially in garages, I always make sure that I line up the bottom corner of where the wall meets the floor to the Last Green INDENT on the parking guide when reversing. This keeps it a fair distance away so I would never scrape anything if the trunk opened. I recently coded my car so that the trunk will NOT OPEN unless the car is unlocked first. No hazard of me hitting the button in my pocket accidentally anymore. But - I still park the same way regardless, in case I need to open my trunk
      04-05-2019, 12:49 AM   #22
shemazar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e46 m3

wife had this happen today. she parked the car in our garage (large apartment garage with lots of other cars), locked it. came back hours later and the boot lid was up. ?? I don't get it.
Appreciate 0